Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyguy84
Topic Author

UA suspends CCS (Caracas) effective 7/1

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:12 pm

Per internal communication , CCS will be suspended effective 7/1.
SFO

MalevTU134

Re: UA suspends CCS effective 7/1

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Any reason given? Poor loads? Weak yields? Something else?

Q

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Some members do not know what is CCS stand for..

Airport is:

Caracas , Venezuela

Thanks,

Q

32andBelow

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:25 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:

Not being able to get any money out of the country could be a part of it.

Varsity1

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:29 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:

The country is a total disaster for one.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Seat1F

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:34 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:

Venezuela is on the verge of being a failed state. Many international airlines have pulled out already. Sad but true.

ASQ400

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:44 pm

Seat1F wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Venezuela is on the verge of being a failed state. Many international airlines have pulled out already. Sad but true.

And with Conviasa a near-dead airline, Venezuelan air transport is dying even sooner
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA

MalevTU134

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Living in Venezuela, I am quite familiar with the situation. I was looking for a more specific reason, not just the sweeping things people always come up with here. Hard to get money out? What money? UA hasn't sold a single ticket here in years...
Country a disaster? Sure, but it has been so for years, so what's new?
Most airlines who operate here still manage to get very good yields, with some exceptions. I was under te impression that UA did, too. So, I repeat my question: what is the specific reason for cancelling CCS? Poor yield? Bad load factors? Something else?

jayunited

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:50 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:

According to the internal communication the flight is no longer meeting financial expectations.
Which Venezuela in turmoil UA has had to adjust this flight several times for a while they upgaged the flight to international configuration 757 to keep the pilots from having to overnight in CCS do to security concerns. As it stands now the flight operates IAH-AUA-CCS-IAH, UA changes pilots in AUA to keep the pilots out of CCS but even this option has proven to be just as uneconomical as using a 757 on the route. So until the situation in Venezuela improves and the country stabilizes UA is left with no choice but to suspend service.
Last edited by jayunited on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalevTU134

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:51 pm

ASQ400 wrote:
Seat1F wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

And with Conviasa a near-dead airline, Venezuelan air transport is dying even sooner

Conviasa has a marginal place in the Venezuelan market. And they are still flying, they have the government backing them for now.

ASQ400

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:53 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
ASQ400 wrote:
Seat1F wrote:

Conviasa has a marginal place in the Venezuelan market. And they are still flying, they have the government backing them for now.

I'm pretty sure all their international flying is cut, or did that change?
The first destination they add will have to be Tehran, for sure.
TLV, BRU, ZRH, CDG, FRA, EWR, JFK, DEN, SFO, AUS, RNO, SEA, YYC, YYZ, IAH, ATL, IAD, DCA, ORD, SJC, SNA

MalevTU134

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:58 pm

They fly to BOG, PTY, HAV on their own E190s, and for now to EZE as well, with a fuel stop at VVI. MAD is when they can convince somebody to wet-lease an aircraft to them. That is more or less the current situation, unless it has changed very recently.

jayunited

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:04 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Living in Venezuela, I am quite familiar with the situation. I was looking for a more specific reason, not just the sweeping things people always come up with here. Hard to get money out? What money? UA hasn't sold a single ticket here in years...
Country a disaster? Sure, but it has been so for years, so what's new?
Most airlines who operate here still manage to get very good yields, with some exceptions. I was under te impression that UA did, too. So, I repeat my question: what is the specific reason for cancelling CCS? Poor yield? Bad load factors? Something else?

The security situation is what changed when UA decided to no longer over night pilots in CCS that decision added additional operating cost to the flight. The additional considerations and accommodations UA has to make to ensure the safety and security of its pilots has taken a flight that was probably marginal at best and has turned it into a money pit for the airline. With no end in sight to the current situation in Venezuela UA is suspending service. I applaud UA for a least trying to make it work first with a 757 then with the additonal AUA stop whe the flight reverted back to the 737 but both these options made in light of the current security situation made operating this flight uneconomical.

commavia

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:08 am

Given what's happening in Venezuela, hardly surprising. Perhaps, even with the yields United was reportedly getting, the AUA stop (crew swap) killed the economics of the route? So among U.S. carriers, Venezuela is now down to just AA MIA-CCS/MAR and Delta's weekly ATL-CCS. Wow, what a difference a decade makes.

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:24 am

commavia wrote:
Given what's happening in Venezuela, hardly surprising. Perhaps, even with the yields United was reportedly getting, the AUA stop (crew swap) killed the economics of the route? So among U.S. carriers, Venezuela is now down to just AA MIA-CCS/MAR and Delta's weekly ATL-CCS. Wow, what a difference a decade makes.

AA hasn't served Maracaibo for years. And you are forgetting Dynamic Airways' JFK-CCS

FlyUSAir

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:33 am

This shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone.
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

TigerFlyer

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:34 am

Currency repatriation and political unrest.

US carriers were owed approx $1.5 billion earned from tickets sold in Venezuela and have not been able to repatriate. The government radically devalued the currency, but even at those rates has not made payments.

Consequently US carriers halted Venezuela point of sale because they knew they could not get the money out. Hard to make a route work when you can only sell seats on one end. Demand from US point of sale is limited. Primarily VFR traffic.

CCS has unfortunately become a very dangerous place. When I'm sent there, I'm not allowed to leave the hotel without armed security. Every shop owner has a shotgun behind the counter. Larger corporations have guards with machine guns. It is just short of a war zone. The last time I was there the streets were littered with broken glass from riots, and completely deserted at dark.

Not surprising that United chose to exit.

OB1504

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:37 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
AA hasn't served Maracaibo for years.

AA currently flies Miami–Maracaibo six times a week (daily except Tuesdays). The service was briefly suspended in February of either 2015 or 2016 following a period of unrest, and flights to Venezuela were subsequently retimed to avoid overnighting crews.

smokeybandit

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:41 am

Surprised it took this long

commavia

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:57 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
AA hasn't served Maracaibo for years. And you are forgetting Dynamic Airways' JFK-CCS

I did, indeed, forget Dynamic, but as said - AA does, indeed, continue to fly to MAR from MIA. [Edit: I guess, per MAH4546 below, I was originally correct that Dynamic is no longer in the U.S.-Venezuela nonstop market.]

TigerFlyer wrote:
Currency repatriation and political unrest.

US carriers were owed approx $1.5 billion earned from tickets sold in Venezuela and have not been able to repatriate. The government radically devalued the currency, but even at those rates has not made payments.

Consequently US carriers halted Venezuela point of sale because they knew they could not get the money out. Hard to make a route work when you can only sell seats on one end. Demand from US point of sale is limited. Primarily VFR traffic.

CCS has unfortunately become a very dangerous place. When I'm sent there, I'm not allowed to leave the hotel without armed security. Every shop owner has a shotgun behind the counter. Larger corporations have guards with machine guns. It is just short of a war zone. The last time I was there the streets were littered with broken glass from riots, and completely deserted at dark.

Not surprising that United chose to exit.

At this point, I doubt currency repatriation has much if anything to do with this. U.S. carriers long ago wrote down (wrote off) their Bolivar-denominated holdings and, I believe, most - if not all - U.S. carriers have long since stopped accepting any payments in Bolivars. I think, at this point, it's all about unrest in CCS and the resulting issue of crew safety which caused United to recently file a new CCS schedule with an AUA stop to swap crews. Unfortunately for United, the structure of its network means that it cannot practically fly its sole remaining U.S.-CCS route - IAH - as a daytime turn like AA can out of MIA or Delta can out of ATL. Thus the AUA stop and, I suspect, thus the resulting deterioration of the economics of the route.
Last edited by commavia on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MAH4546

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:03 am

MalevTU134 wrote:

AA flies to Maracaibo 6 times a week.

Dynamic Airways suspended JFK-CCS on April 27th.
a.

jetmatt777

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:06 am

Good decision. Take a marginal route that uses a lot of airplane time and put that airplane in the USA where it can make a lot more profit on more sectors.

787fan8

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:07 am

I'm not surprised one bit by this.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

edmaircraft

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:50 am

MalevTU134 wrote:

Venezuela is in a very, very sorry state at this time. AC knew this when they pulled out two or three years ago.
Let me up!

LAX772LR

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:02 am

commavia wrote:
Wow, what a difference a decade makes.

Sad. This was a destination that once supported scheduled Concorde service.

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jfklganyc

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:12 am

Government takes over industry, government collapses, people have nothing.

Such a sad situation, so sad.

captaink

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:24 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
They fly to BOG, PTY, HAV on their own E190s, and for now to EZE as well, with a fuel stop at VVI. MAD is when they can convince somebody to wet-lease an aircraft to them. That is more or less the current situation, unless it has changed very recently.

Hasn't Conviasa recently suspend all International flights?
Look Up

drdisque

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:35 am

The newly required stop in AUA likely killed the economics on this route.

dcajet

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:36 am

captaink wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Hasn't Conviasa recently suspend all International flights?

They suspended those flights for which they had to wet lease aircraft (Wamos Air/Plus Ultra/Air Asia x/Air Italy - all at different points in time). Thus MAD is now out of the question.

commavia wrote:
Unfortunately for United, the structure of its network means that it cannot practically fly its sole remaining U.S.-CCS route - IAH - as a daytime turn like AA can out of MIA or Delta can out of ATL. Thus the AUA stop and, I suspect, thus the resulting deterioration of the economics of the route.

Delta continues to operate one weekly service to CCS from ATL on Saturdays. It does (for the time being) RON in CCS, returning on Sundays, with the 73G.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

dcajet

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:38 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Living in Venezuela, I am quite familiar with the situation.

Question for our man in Venezuela. Who owns AVIOR and where are they flying to with that A343 they have, the one with the raccoon-like painted cockpit?

Could that plane fly for Conviasa to MAD and EZE?

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:51 am

dcajet wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Living in Venezuela, I am quite familiar with the situation.

Question for our man in Venezuela. Who owns AVIOR and where are they flying to with that A343 they have, the one with the raccoon-like painted cockpit?

Could that plane fly for Conviasa to MAD and EZE?

My neighbour...literally! :D
The 343 flies only BLA (Barcelona, Venezuela)-MIA for now. And they seem quite happy with that. The more burning issue is what on earth they are going to do with the other 2 that are supposed to join the fleet soon. There have been plans of MAD, GRU, EZE....but honestly, I believe they would make the least of losses by just parking them at BLA for now.
I believe that it would be politically (not literally, but from a company policy and public image point of view) almost impossible to make a big thing about getting widebodies into the fleet, and then wet-lease them to the least-admired airline in the land. But you never know...
I know that they are in talks for a similar set-up with another airline in the region, however...

Oh, and all AVIOR's aircraft- 732s and 734s - have the raccoon- painted cockpit. :D

dcajet

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:41 am

Thanks for the info. I am sure that operating conditions for the remaining Venezuelan airlines have to be nothing short of desperate. With income mostly in Bolivares, and some expenses in hard currency (is fuel subsidized for them?) and a regulatory and operational environment challenging at best, and with fleets composed of museum pieces, it is almost incredible that some still survive, especially the private ones.

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:09 am

dcajet wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am sure that operating conditions for the remaining Venezuelan airlines have to be nothing short of desperate. With income mostly in Bolivares, and some expenses in hard currency (is fuel subsidized for them?) and a regulatory and operational environment challenging at best, and with fleets composed of museum pieces, it is almost incredible that some still survive, especially the private ones.

Yes, you are absolutely right, they are living a nightmare. Even though their costs must be the lowest in the World, so are the fares they charge. A domestic fare is rarely more than 6-7 USD per way, all taxes included. And that gets you a ride on a 732, MD80, Fokker 50 ... But all costs aircraft related (spare parts etc) are in foreign currency. That is why almost all local airlines try to have some routes out of the country, be it SDQ, PTY, MIA, CUR, POS, AUA, SCL, so that they can charge much more than for a domestic ticket of similar flight length, and also get some income in USD at the other end. And yes, fuel is subsidised for Venezuelan airlines (and for airlines of another country as well...you can guess which) at all airports in Venezuela. But all the above adds up to a rapidly shrinking domestic air service. For example, BLA-CCS used to have 8-10 daily flights on 4 airlines a year ago...now there are 3 flights, on a good day, on 3 airlines. Aeropostal (government owned) has cancelled all but the 2 biggest destinations out of CCS - MAR and PMV. Conviasa going down the drain... It's sad, but the worst aspect of it is that this is a luxury problem in a country like Venezuela.

OneSexyL1011

Re: UA suspends CCS (Caracas) effective 7/1

Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:05 am

Flight is hemorrhaging money every time it operates. Loads are empty, there is no non-stop from IAH anymore. The flight goes IAH-AUA-CCS-IAH now, with a crew change only in AUA. Reason for the stop was they didn't want to overnight crews in CCS anymore.

This flight is an absolute total loss on all fronts now. It was only a matter of time once the AUA crew change stop was implemented.
Last edited by OneSexyL1011 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

AirplaneWizard

Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:06 am

Horrible news... The Houston - Caracas flight is what keeps Venezuela afloat. Oil and Gas produced by their National Oil Company (PDVSA) through the help of US and Canadian oil and also oilfield service companies is what keeps the country afloat. Venezuela is down to its last and final straw.

PTYtoDCA

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:02 am

The ignorance in this thread is scary, yes the govt of Venezuela is a mess but that has nothing to do with the yields of a perticular route. Tickets are not sold in bolivares but actually in USD. I would like to respectfully ask half of the posters to actually read about the situation before posting bs. Yes the country is dangerous and the UA crews do no overnight in Venezuela, but that has nothing to do with the profitability of the flights. Regarding not getting money out of the country, CM is owned almost 500MM, and if they can keep going, UA sure as hell can.
ignorance is bliss

ASQ400

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:10 am

PTYtoDCA wrote:
The ignorance in this thread is scary, yes the govt of Venezuela is a mess but that has nothing to do with the yields of a perticular route. Tickets are not sold in bolivares but actually in USD. I would like to respectfully ask half of the posters to actually read about the situation before posting bs. Yes the country is dangerous and the UA crews do no overnight in Venezuela, but that has nothing to do with the profitability of the flights. Regarding not getting money out of the country, CM is owned almost 500MM, and if they can keep going, UA sure as hell can.

Overnighting actually has everything to do with profitability. If crews have to be hauled to AUA, and need armed guards to walk the streets, that's money being spent, which reduces profit.

TigerFlyer

Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:50 am

PTYtoDCA wrote:

Okay, so what's your explanation?

Carriers were called in one by one to negotiate with the Director of Civil aviation regarding how much they would be allowed to repatriate in return for maintaining service. It turned out to be empty promises; fools gold. So carriers cut back to bare minimum service levels that could be supported by US point of sale or exited the market. The inability to sell tickets for CCS point of sale and policital unrest had everything to do with it.

MartijnNL

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:20 am

Q wrote:
Some members do not know what is CCS stand for..

Some members (myself for example) read 7/1 as January 7, then realise that in the U.S. dates are noted differently than in Europe. I thought for a moment that they announced it seven months in advance.

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:00 am

PTYtoDCA wrote:

You are right about the ignorance, however you are also wrong. The fact is tickets are not sold nor issued in Venezuela (which you technically didn't say, but I guess that is what you meant) at all neither in bolívares nor in USD. EVERY single ticket for non-Venezuelan airlines is sold and issued outside of Venezuela. If I walk into a travel agency here in Venezuela, they will contact an agency with which they collaborate in the US or Panama, who then makes the reservation in their system, issues the ticket and charges my non-Venezuelan credit card. If I walk into an airline office, they will tell me to see a travel agent. If I book online on any airline's website, I'm charged in foreign currency and the ticket is issued outside of Venezuela. My point is that while most airlines are owed huge amounts, this is historical debt. It is not being added to anymore today by keeping to operate into Venezuela. So any arguments about the airlines being owed USD is moot when it comes to explaining why airline X drops a route into Venezuela. It's all about the economics of the flight in question (load factors, yields, costs...), as for any other destination.

jfklganyc

Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:33 am

No offense to the poster looking for reasons for cancellation of the route...but you are searching for normalcy in a very abnormal situation.

Given the extremes of the situation, it is amazing (and testament to UA) that the flight lasted this long. The outside the box thinking of an AUA layover shows a real effort to make it work.

Newbiepilot

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:51 pm

drdisque wrote:

If I understand correctly, UA had been using a 757 on the IAH-CCS with an augmented crew. Loads were bad, so they switched to a 737. Since a 737 doesn't have a flat business class seat for a crew rest, they added a stop in AUA do a crew change. Crew can't stay in CCS for safety reasons. Loads are still low and it is only being flown a few times per week. At this point it makes sense giving up to n the route. It is high cost, low frequency and has low load factors.

STT757

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:54 pm

It's a total catastrophe what is happening in Venezuela, at some point there will have to be intervention from the outside as the instability will threaten the newly found stability and prosperity of neighbor Colombia.

Thinking back Caracas has enjoyed much better levels of service, for example from CO/UA:

EWR-CCS was a daily 73G for years, then when the trouble started it went down to SA/SU and then dropped.
IAH-CCS was daily for many years operating at times with 764s and 753s.

UA historically operated (inherited from Pan Am)

JFK-CCS-POS with a daily 757

MIA-CCS with 2x daily service (733, 752)
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:48 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

No offense to the poster looking for reasons for cancellation of the route...but you are searching for normalcy in a very abnormal situation.

Given the extremes of the situation, it is amazing (and testament to UA) that the flight lasted this long. The outside the box thinking of an AUA layover shows a real effort to make it work.

Well, again, I only live here in Venezuela, so what do I know.... But ponder that there are still a dozen or so foreign airlines that find ways to make CCS work, so I think I could be excused for wondering about the exact reason for the closure of this route, which has also been kindly provided by other posters above.

OneSexyL1011

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
drdisque wrote:

If I understand correctly, UA had been using a 757 on the IAH-CCS with an augmented crew. Loads were bad, so they switched to a 737. Since a 737 doesn't have a flat business class seat for a crew rest, they added a stop in AUA do a crew change. Crew can't stay in CCS for safety reasons. Loads are still low and it is only being flown a few times per week. At this point it makes sense giving up to n the route. It is high cost, low frequency and has low load factors.

UA/CO hasn't operated a 757 on CCS in years. Its been 737-700 and occasional -800 operations for almost a decade. The AUA stop was just implemented just a few months ago.

jfklganyc

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:29 pm

I understand that you live there. Surely you know, first hand, why virtually every foreign carrier has stopped flying there.

I'd venture to say that the dozen or so left are trying to hang on to see if the situation improves. I'd imagine they too will leave if it doesnt.

It's very sad. Tragic.

klwright69

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:16 pm

No. This is not a surprise. The flight only goes sometimes with 30 or 40 people. The flight is daily now. The flight was a 757 recently. Then switched to a 737 with a stop in CCS.
But the government has said any airline dropping CCS during the crisis will never come back.

bennett123

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:32 pm

Imagine this stance would change if there was a new government.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:34 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
commavia wrote:

Dynamic officially quit the route on June 1, but hadn't flown the route since late April, saying that it was no longer safe to fly there. The aircraft was allocated instead to a new route to Guayaquil and an occasional Fly Jamaica or TAME wet lease.

klwright69

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:44 pm

And conditions there are only getting worse. I wonder if DL will stay now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos