Midwestindy

Re: OAG Changes 6/4/2017:AA Drops JFK-TUS, AC Drops SLC-YYZ, F9 Drops IAH-SFO, WN Adds FLL-PLS

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:51 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
What is so strange about ANC-SEA? B6 runs one of 27 daily nonstops between the two cities.

Because it is a p2p flight and B6 doesn't have a hub in either of those cities. 27 daily nonstops????? First of all that isn't possible, B6 in BOS-JFK only has 6 daily nonstops, so how would SEA-ANC has 27????

The poster means, all of the airlines combined have 27 dailies on SEA-ANC with AS of course being the dominant carrier.

So I checked and B6's BUF-LAX is operating on x246 this winter. I think that's the same as last winter. It's interesting to note that on days 246 without a nonstop, the lowest available fare is $114 higher than the nonstop.

Thank you for the clarification which helps further my point, it makes no sense that B6 would run 1 daily flight against 26 other daily flights from AS and DL. AS and DL have much more customer loyalty in the northwest, so why would B6 go h2h against that with 1, I repeat, 1 daily flight. Which I remind you is not from BOS/JFK/FLL/LGB, it is from SEA where B6 has a much much weaker presence than DL and AS.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

phluser

Re: OAG Changes 6/4/2017:AA Drops JFK-TUS, AC Drops SLC-YYZ, F9 Drops IAH-SFO, WN Adds FLL-PLS

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
F27500 wrote:
enilria wrote:

Not going that well I see
*B6 BUF-LAX JAN 1.0>0.6

This always struck me as kind of an oddball route for JetBlue .... what was the logic behind starting this one ?

No offense to the JetBlue lovers out there, but B6 runs some of the weirdest routes in the country (ex. ANC-PDX/SEA and BUF-LAX) and doesn't have flights to HNL, SNA, STL, MCI, SAT, MSP, and IND just to name a few. Not to mention the fact that they don't have TATL service yet, when two of their hubs are both the ideally placed for TATL service, but that is a discussion for another thread.

JetBlue is a much smaller carrier than any of the big 4 carriers. WN doesn't have TATL service, let alone many transcon services, either even though it is huge in LAX. The route also utilized existing stations, unlike the opening STL, MCI.

Anyways, JetBlue should consider switching BUF-LAX to BUF-DFW. Dallas might not be as big a draw as LA on appeal, but it would be a lot shorter for JetBlue to run which would lower it's risk, while still running service out of BUF to a major market which also lacks a nonstop service. Plus it would augment the super small DFW station on that end, with another nonstop and probably more connection options to BOS and JFK.

Dominion301

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:18 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Because it is a p2p flight and B6 doesn't have a hub in either of those cities. 27 daily nonstops????? First of all that isn't possible, B6 in BOS-JFK only has 6 daily nonstops, so how would SEA-ANC has 27????

The poster means, all of the airlines combined have 27 dailies on SEA-ANC with AS of course being the dominant carrier.

So I checked and B6's BUF-LAX is operating on x246 this winter. I think that's the same as last winter. It's interesting to note that on days 246 without a nonstop, the lowest available fare is $114 higher than the nonstop.

Thank you for the clarification which helps further my point, it makes no sense that B6 would run 1 daily flight against 26 other daily flights from AS and DL. AS and DL have much more customer loyalty in the northwest, so why would B6 go h2h against that with 1, I repeat, 1 daily flight. Which I remind you is not from BOS/JFK/FLL/LGB, it is from SEA where B6 has a much much weaker presence than DL and AS.

Given both SEA/PDX-ANC are both red-eyes, I guess those flights make B6 enough money to cover their operating expenses vs. RONing those aircraft at PDX and SEA respectively. I wonder if B6 puts a lot of freight on these given ANC's large cargo hub status?

What I do find interesting is that neither of those flights offer connections to/from LGB, even though the connecting times work out perfectly for them to do so.

miaami

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:31 pm

AA is adding a 3rd flight CLT-PWM on 04AUG17

Rdh3e

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:47 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
What I do find interesting is that neither of those flights offer connections to/from LGB, even though the connecting times work out perfectly for them to do so.

The website is offering both LGB-PDX/SEA-ANC northbound, then southbound it appears only the PDX fligt is pricing.

mke717spotter

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:48 pm

DesertAir wrote:
ORD, MDW, ATL and MSP are the most long range flights that make out of TUS.

WN did have seasonal service to BWI a few years ago (Saturday only I think), but it never came back. Its too bad AA is ending the JFK flight, I had some friends still in school there that were pretty excited they could take a nonstop flight home.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

jasdiaz

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:53 pm

*WN FLL-PLS NOV 0>0.9 DEC 0>1.0 JAN 0>0.2

Interesting that their yet to be launched service is already dropping to twice weekly starting in January, especially since their ads have touted daily service.

Dominion301

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

The website is offering both LGB-PDX/SEA-ANC northbound, then southbound it appears only the PDX fligt is pricing.

Ah makes sense, especially given that LGB inbounds are clearly the ANC outbounds. I was looking at B6's online timetable where the only destinations listed for ANC are SEA and PDX.

phllax

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:07 pm

usairways85 wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:
Reading these threads each week, it seems to me that AA has been cutting 1 frequency out of many routes from CLT/PHL/PHX for some time now. Obviously, these are old US cities. My question is, are they putting the aircraft that would normally fly these frequencies onto different routes, or are they just parking them RON and having less fleet capacity utilization? I don't really see large across the board adds to the ORD and DFW schedules, but maybe I'm misssing something? Not a huge day to day follower of AA, so if I've missed the obvious, go easy on me, ok?

Some of the PHL cuts are a product of the inconsistent plan for 50-70 RJ's. Many PHL markets see an increase of frequency only to see a decrease in gauge but then see the reverse a few months later (one of the extreme examples...PHL-RDU has been RJ's for years, this fall there will be 2x 319's). Also with the DH8's leaving the fleet, many PHL markets have seen a decrease in frequency but an increase in gauge DH8>145.

I haven't looked into it much for other hubs, but I've noticed a number of 738's entering PHL. PHL-SAN/BOS/LAX/DEN/SLC/SJU/CUN/AUA have all see more and more 738's and they are generally a downgauge from 321's.

Remember that the Air Wisconsin operation is winding down in preparation for the switch to United in January. This may also have something to do with it as assets are shifted around to cover the temporary loss. In addition, with September and October being slow months, they may be taking the 319's and 321's out to convert to true MCE.

Aliqiout

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

It seems to me that ANC-SEA is one of those routes with enough traffic, that it is not suprisin for any airline to try it, like NYC-FL and bay area- southern California. After all CO served it for years without any significant presence in either city.

cledaybuck

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:32 pm

jasdiaz wrote:
*WN FLL-PLS NOV 0>0.9 DEC 0>1.0 JAN 0>0.2

Interesting that their yet to be launched service is already dropping to twice weekly starting in January, especially since their ads have touted daily service.
It's not. I just that WN only has through January 7 for sale currently.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

Dominion301

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

It seems to me that ANC-SEA is one of those routes with enough traffic, that it is not suprisin for any airline to try it, like NYC-FL and bay area- southern California. After all CO served it for years without any significant presence in either city.

As I recall for CO, SEA-ANC (excluding Air Mike ops) was one of the few, if not the only non non-hub operated route in their final years. I also believe it was a 1-stop service to EWR as a nonstop from EWR was impossible for the size of equipment appropriate for the market.

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:48 pm

They add also you're just seeing what you want to see I think. Without data saying that they've been cutting just in these areas and adding in the other areas it's impossible to really tell.
I kind of feel like AA is always in retreat mode. And DL is always grabbing market shares. I know it's not always the case though.[/quote]

Thank you for the thoughtful response. And as someone else said, they are up-gauging some of their flights away from RJ's. I didn't think about that. AA inherited a good trans-Atlantic hub in PHL, I hope they continue to value it's possibilities. The JFK operations deal more with local O&D traffic, and does not have the domestic network that PHL has to support connections.

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

As I recall for CO, SEA-ANC (excluding Air Mike ops) was one of the few, if not the only non non-hub operated route in their final years. I also believe it was a 1-stop service to EWR as a nonstop from EWR was impossible for the size of equipment appropriate for the market.

CO also used SEA-ANC to funnel a lot of oil workers to Alaska from IAH, especially when the summer-seasonal IAH-ANC was not operating.

WesternA318

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:10 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
UALFAson wrote:
WesternA318 wrote:
I'm pleased to see the jetBlue reductions in SLC, though.

WesternA318 wrote:
I just wish they'd do the same thing against AS in SLC. I'd love to see them pull up shop.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious as to why you are wishing for the failure of other carriers at SLC? I know how terrible it is for consumers when airlines compete against each other and there are more choices at lower fares.

There's a term used around here called "fan boys". It refers to those who won't tolerate any criticism of their preferred airline/airport/aircraft because they relentlessly adore it and believe it is the best in all ways. Any criticisms are considered an affront to their personal identity. You see similar attitudes with people and their favourite sports teams.

For the most part, thats it. LOL> I have my own beef with jetBlue, but that's for another thread. Dont get me wrong, I sincerely love ANY expansion at SLC, even from B6. But yeah, my preferred carriers at SLC that I purchase tix through are DL and AA (with F9 coming in 3rd).

edmaircraft

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:42 am

dcajet wrote:
edmaircraft wrote:
Will AC's exit from SCL cancel the EZE flight or make it nonstop?

It's SLC not SCL; but don't worry, you are not alone confusing both. I've heard horror stories about luggage destined for one and ending up at the other.

Re: AC breaking up SCL and EZE and making each a non stop flight, I understand that is the plan, but not before 2018-19.

Geez, can't say I've messed up that easily. Thanks for the correction!
Let me up!

FARmd90

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:35 pm

If jetBlue really wanted to. Could they downgauge some of the days on BUF-LAX to a 190 during the winter months? Does the 190 have the range for this route? Not sure what variant B6 has and it's only about 100nm further than YYZ-PDX which AC uses the 190 on. Wiki shows the range for the 190 at 2450nm so it sounds like it would work.

Also with AC now pulling out of YYZ-SLC could delta downgauge it to either a E175 or CRJ-700?

slowrambler

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:06 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
They add also you're just seeing what you want to see I think. Without data saying that they've been cutting just in these areas and adding in the other areas it's impossible to really tell.
I kind of feel like AA is always in retreat mode. And DL is always grabbing market shares. I know it's not always the case though.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. And as someone else said, they are up-gauging some of their flights away from RJ's. I didn't think about that. AA inherited a good trans-Atlantic hub in PHL, I hope they continue to value it's possibilities. The JFK operations deal more with local O&D traffic, and does not have the domestic network that PHL has to support connections.

Remember that US (and now AA) have a tradition of loading more flights into the schedule in the far future than they intend to operate. The Boston RJ flights, for example, *always* look like they're getting cut, but I don't think they change much in terms of actually operated flights.

BoeingGuy

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:27 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
If jetBlue really wanted to. Could they downgauge some of the days on BUF-LAX to a 190 during the winter months? Does the 190 have the range for this route? Not sure what variant B6 has and it's only about 100nm further than YYZ-PDX which AC uses the 190 on. Wiki shows the range for the 190 at 2450nm so it sounds like it would work.

Also with AC now pulling out of YYZ-SLC could delta downgauge it to either a E175 or CRJ-700?

Didn't AC try SLC-YYZ once before and drop it? So they started it a second time and dropped it again. Were the Load Factors poor?

AC does seem to be a bit of a dart board. Awhile back, they've started YYZ to SJC, SMF, ONT, SNA and dropped all fairly shortly after starting it. (I know they recently started SJC-YVR). I don't think this round of SLC lasted very long either.

BENAir01

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:57 pm

enilria wrote:
VR PVD-RAI NOV 0.1>0.3 DEC 0.1>0.3 JAN 0.2>0.3 FEB 0.1>0.3

Wow, is this the highest it's ever been? Must be doing relatively well. This flight has always intrigued me.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

maximairways

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:41 pm

FARmd90 wrote:

Their A320s have had to make fuel stops in the winter before. I doubt a E190 would be able to do it reliably.

FARmd90

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:52 pm

maximairways wrote:
FARmd90 wrote:

Their A320s have had to make fuel stops in the winter before. I doubt a E190 would be able to do it reliably.

Yes from JFK/BOS/FLL. But BUF is closer to LA, do they still make stops even on BUF-LAX? its probably blocked for about 1hr less or more. And they don't block seats

gdg9

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:17 pm

I don't see YYZ-SLC for AC past mid-October on OAG?
@dfwtower

alasizon

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:41 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Thanks as always Enilria.

PHX-STL x2? That's pretty low and caught my eye but there a quite a few PHX frequencies cut elsewhere as well. Even for September its getting pretty thin in some markets ex-PHX.

Just the typical bank cancellation days (Tu & Sa) that have been ran for years. Other than that, nothing really new

DesertAir wrote:
AA drops JFK-TUS! Most cities the size of TUS do not have flights to JFK when a large hub is a short flight away like PHX. B6 tried a red eye years agouti JFK; CO attempted EWR; US had Charlotte seasonal service; UA ran a tag to Washington, DC through PHX. ORD, MDW, ATL and MSP are the most long range flights that make out of TUS.

There was a $1,000,000 guarantee on the flight so I am actually surprised it got cut unless it truly was doing that terribly.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

maximairways

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:35 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
maximairways wrote:
FARmd90 wrote:

Yes from JFK/BOS/FLL. But BUF is closer to LA, do they still make stops even on BUF-LAX? its probably blocked for about 1hr less or more. And they don't block seats

Yes on the BUF-LAX route they have had to stop in Denver.

atypical

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:07 am

Thanks Enilria, your information has always been a great help. Many times so since most of us do not have access to the OAG as you do. One potential request, if possible... Is there any way of showing equipment (seat) changes to a route... For example an airline may be reducing frequency on a route but upgaging equipment to balance out the seat losses. This is going to be happening more and more as the smaller RJs are being replaced. This could be in the form of 5>4U, 4>6D, or 6>5-. If not, I am not looking this gift horse in the mouth and will always appreciate what you do already. Again, many thanks.

Rdh3e

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:31 am

gdg9 wrote:
I don't see YYZ-SLC for AC past mid-October on OAG?

Exactly. He's showing it having been cancelled mid October.

flyPIT

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:33 pm

enilria wrote:
G4 AUS-PIT NOV 0.3>0.0

Two weeks later, PIT-AUS is still showing 2x weekly in Nov and beyond.
FLYi

fly2yyz

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 pm

According to airlineroute AC's YYZ-SLC is just going seasonal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos