Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bdlflyer
Topic Author

Aer Lingus @ BDL

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:08 am

It has been 8 months since Aer Lingus launched its daily nonstop transatlantic service to Dublin (DUB) from Bradley International Airport (BDL). Any word on how the route is doing?
Bradley International Airport (BDL) | Gateway to New England | ❤️ Love The Journey | New England's second largest airport

F27500

Re: Aer Lingus @ BDL

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:26 am

Just like the NW service to AMS a few years ago --- one that subsidy runs out, EI's out !

CairnterriAIR

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:34 am

F27500 wrote:
Just like the NW service to AMS a few years ago --- one that subsidy runs out, EI's out !

Any source you can share to back this statement?

jco613

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:52 am

F27500 wrote:

While God does seem like a reputable source, I question its accuracy. Norwegian is coming in so there will be competition at BDL. The advertising has really been geared toward "fly to Europe" vs "fly to Ireland" and with a large Irish-American population, o/d should be able to hold its own...I've only seen the flight boarding once and wasn't able to tell the loads. Regardless of EI's position, the Norwegian effect should keep trans Atlantic service for a good while

CairnterriAIR

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:11 am

jco613 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

While God does seem like a reputable source, I question its accuracy. Norwegian is coming in so there will be competition at BDL. The advertising has really been geared toward "fly to Europe" vs "fly to Ireland" and with a large Irish-American population, o/d should be able to hold its own...I've only seen the flight boarding once and wasn't able to tell the loads. Regardless of EI's position, the Norwegian effect should keep trans Atlantic service for a good while

Quite a few times I've been departing from the same terminal this last year, the flights appeared to be departing with close to...if not completely....full loads. I am curious as to the numbers as well. Any quick search of available seats on many dates this Summer is showing heavy flights. As for the Winter months, I'm sure the numbers drop....but so do the frequencies. The NW Amsterdam flight a few years ago didn't have much of a subsidy, was launched during a brutal recession, a massive spike in oil and fuel costs, was poorly advertised, and horribly overpriced. Even with that, the flight did draw some customers....enough that there were plans to reenstate the flight the following Summer.....the merger and fuel prices kaboshed that plan. Norwegian and Aer Lingus have indeed drawn a lot of attention to the market, and in one way or another, I think Transatlantic service out of BDL is here to stay.

RL757PVD

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:26 am

It's been 8 months but they haven't had the benefit of the peak summer season yet. Wait to see how the summer does, then the first few months of year over year gains before casting any judgement.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

JAmie2k9

Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:54 am

Full Months Passenger LF to date:
October - 81%
November - 89%**
December - 71%
January - 77%
February - 50% (not 100% on this)

** EI operational reasons would of boosted the LF by a few %, would have been around 81%.

I know February was a poor month month (worst so far) but that's not un expected given the time of year and all of EI's route take a big hit compared to other months.

Overall a solid set of stats and as already pointed out it was started in winter which is not common for a T/A route.

Loads over the summer are good and would expect north of 80%-85% across the season.
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

CairnterriAIR

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:11 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
October - 81%
November - 89%
December - 71%
January - 77%

I know February was a poor month month (worst so far) but that's not un expected given the time of year and all of EI's route take a big hit compared to other months.

Overall a solid set of stats and as already pointed out it was started in winter which is not common for a T/A route.

Loads over the summer are good and would expect north of 80%-85% across the season.

March was a huge upswing from what I heard. Spring break, and St Patrick's Day week.....full flights.

JAmie2k9

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:13 am

CairnterriAIR wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
October - 81%
November - 89%
December - 71%
January - 77%

March was a huge upswing from what I heard. Spring break, and St Patrick's Day week.....full flights.

Yeah, numbers are good just not publicly available yet so cannot post. As I say expect at least 80%+ right theough to November.

FlyUSAir

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:06 am

F27500 wrote:

Source? Your head doesn't count.

I am hearing that loads are pretty good, and that this is not a repeat of Northwest's BDL-AMS service.
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

DY789

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:28 am

CairnterriAIR wrote:
Quite a few times I've been departing from the same terminal this last year, the flights appeared to be departing with close to...if not completely....full loads. I am curious as to the numbers as well. Any quick search of available seats on many dates this Summer is showing heavy flights. As for the Winter months, I'm sure the numbers drop....but so do the frequencies.

Is BDL a large enough airfield to be able to support an A330 should it ever warrant an upguage in equipment for summer months?

cheapgreek

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:32 am

FlyUSAir wrote:
F27500 wrote:

I am hearing that loads are pretty good, and that this is not a repeat of Northwest's BDL-AMS service.

Loads are one thing, yields are another.

MO11

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:38 am

CairnterriAIR wrote:
Is BDL a large enough airfield to be able to support an A330 should it ever warrant an upguage in equipment for summer months?

Yes.

CairnterriAIR

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:39 am

DY789 wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:
Quite a few times I've been departing from the same terminal this last year, the flights appeared to be departing with close to...if not completely....full loads. I am curious as to the numbers as well. Any quick search of available seats on many dates this Summer is showing heavy flights. As for the Winter months, I'm sure the numbers drop....but so do the frequencies.

Yes. BDL used to see quite a few wide bodies on domestic routes when the airlines had them. The airport also has the ability to handle the A380 if need be. Diversions from New York are common.

CairnterriAIR

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:42 am

cheapgreek wrote:
FlyUSAir wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Loads are one thing, yields are another.

Fares are the the same, if not very slightly higher than New York and Boston.

roadpilot

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:43 pm

CairnterriAIR wrote:
DY789 wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:

Yes. BDL used to see quite a few wide bodies on domestic routes when the airlines had them. The airport also has the ability to handle the A380 if need be. Diversions from New York are common.

We used to have multiple 762s on Delta to Atlanta. I believe at one point AAs SJU flight was an A306 as well

MO11

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:18 pm

DL and EA used to run L-1011, AA ran DC-10 and 747, UA ran DC-10. And this was from the old terminal that has since been demolished.

deltaguy767

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:00 pm

roadpilot wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:
DY789 wrote:

We used to have multiple 762s on Delta to Atlanta. I believe at one point AAs SJU flight was an A306 as well

Don't forget the 1x daily B762 BDL-CVG! DL also ran the B763 on occasion from BDL-ATL usually during the holiday season (Nov-Dec) and during the spring break time-frame (Feb-Apr) in the early 2000's. Was spoiled in my youth flying wide-bodies down to PBI versus the constant parade of B73X/A32S we see today...
A Good Landing is one you walk away from! Any comments made on this board are my own and do not reflect the opinions or actions of my employer.

roadpilot

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Forgot about the CVG flight. It really was something to watch the 76s taxi up to B-2 in the old terminal.....it used to be my nightly entertainment

CairnterriAIR

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:13 pm

roadpilot wrote:
Forgot about the CVG flight. It really was something to watch the 76s taxi up to B-2 in the old terminal.....it used to be my nightly entertainment

There was a period where Delta operated a BDL-JFK-CDG flight with a 763! Took many flights on Eastern flight #945 BDL-BOS-SJU....too many times to keep count on the mighty L-1011!

cvgComair

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:34 pm

deltaguy767 wrote:
Don't forget the 1x daily B762 BDL-CVG! DL also ran the B763 on occasion from BDL-ATL usually during the holiday season (Nov-Dec) and during the spring break time-frame (Feb-Apr) in the early 2000's. Was spoiled in my youth flying wide-bodies down to PBI versus the constant parade of B73X/A32S we see today...

CVG-BDL even got 763's at one point, along with another 2x/757 and 1x/MD-80. Crazy thinking that the route is down to 1/CR9!

Cvgspotter15

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:42 pm

cvgComair wrote:
deltaguy767 wrote:

CVG-BDL even got 763's at one point, along with another 2x/757 and 1x/MD-80. Crazy thinking that the route is down to 1/CR9!

sometimes -7 lol

col

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:18 am

JFK-BDL to get a 763 out of there was a lovely flight replacing the J-41. Many times there were so few of us that we all just sat in Biz. Flights up to BDL were very quick, coming down to JFK took longer because of the holds. Happy Days.

BDL9849120

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:44 am

CairnterriAIR wrote:
DY789 wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:

Aside from the runway/taxiway requirements, would it be prudent to operate an a330 to the current terminal? I think having a few hundred people board in one gate at BDL would cause a huge traffic jam in the terminal, there probably isn't enough space for so many people. I hope the CT government gets around to building a new terminal at some point before I'm dead :lol:

jetblueguy22

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:32 am

BDL9849120 wrote:
CairnterriAIR wrote:
DY789 wrote:

Aside from the runway/taxiway requirements, would it be prudent to operate an a330 to the current terminal? I think having a few hundred people board in one gate at BDL would cause a huge traffic jam in the terminal, there probably isn't enough space for so many people. I hope the CT government gets around to building a new terminal at some point before I'm dead :lol:

Gate 8, although listed as a Delta gate, is never used and Gate 10 is rarely used at that time of day. There is plenty of room if they really wanted to use an A330. But at any rate I think we are getting way ahead of ourselves.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

uconn99

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:33 am

Load factor for March was 85% per latest Connecticut Airport Authority stats available.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos