Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 14
 
airtrantpa
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:53 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:37 am

WPvsMW wrote:
Of U.S. interest... the USN 5th Fleet, including a carrier strike group, and US CENTCOM, is based in Bahrain. So... no shortage of surveillance.


USCENTCOM is based at MacDill AFBin Tampa, FL
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991
 
kaitak
Posts: 9974
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:44 am

If airspace is included, QR's flights to Africa will be particularly badly hit - sure, they can fly north, over Bandar Abbas, and out over the Arabian Sea; fine if you're flying to Mumbai and even Asia and Oz, flights to Africa, where they have quite a significant network, will be significantly affected.

Is Kuwait supporting Qatar in this? I see it has not imposed a flight ban, but is it likely to be the subject of sanctions as well - even because of its failure to throw its toys out of the cot as well?
 
ty97
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:47 am

Most of the news article I'm seeing now are using phrasing to the effect of

All the nations also said they planned to cut air and sea traffic to the peninsular country. It wasn't immediately clear how that would affect Qatar Airways, one of the region's major long-haul carriers. The airline and Qatari government officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

That is from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... epens.html but I am seeing similar language in many articles, including articles that mentioned overflight bans earlier, so it looks like that piece of the puzzle is not completely known yet.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:48 am

Adipocere wrote:
What does this mean? Why would their neighbor countries shoot at QR flights that maybe carrying a large number of neutral or Western citizens?


It just simply means that QR flights can't fly into Egypt, Qatar, Bahrain, or Saudi airspace and basically all QR flights have to go around those countries. None of those countries want to start a war so no QR planes will be shotdown if they are in their countries airspace. QR won't fly into their airspace either, because they don't want their airplane destroyed and all the bad PR associated with that sort of thing. Planes being shot out of the sky is not really a concern in this situation.
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
Arion640
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:48 am

This will shaft Emirates slightly too who fly into Qatar (although probably not as much as the laptop ban is).
 
thepinkmachine
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:49 am

Wonder if this severing of diplomatic relations isn't a prelude to an invasion, or some such...
Last edited by thepinkmachine on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"
 
User avatar
Floridaguy74656
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 8:59 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:51 am

airtrantpa wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
Of U.S. interest... the USN 5th Fleet, including a carrier strike group, and US CENTCOM, is based in Bahrain. So... no shortage of surveillance.


USCENTCOM is based at MacDill AFBin Tampa, FL


The Al Udeid Air Base southwest of Doha,Qatar has according to latest media reports roughly 10k US troops there. Gotta wonder whats going to happen with that.
God Bless the United States of America
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:55 am

thepinkmachine wrote:
Wonder if this severing of diploamties isn't a prelude to an invasion, or some such...


Nah, I doubt it based on the tone of the various nations.
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 4841
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:55 am

https://twitter.com/ALAHLI_FCEN/status/ ... 1721977856 Some Saudi sportsclub annpunced termination of their contract with Qatar Airways... Other businesses in those countries will probably do the same?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
sadiqutp
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:56 am

Thinking out loud, If the airspace blockade takes place. What would be affected?
1- All traffic to North/east/center of Europe & North Africa wouldn't be affected as the routes usually uses Iranian-Turkish airspace
2- All traffic to Asia and Australia would have a slight detour through Iranian/Pakistani airspace
3- All traffic to South America and south/southeast African would have a detour through Iranian/Pakistani and back to Oman ( which is a neutral country in this whole mess)
4- The biggest affect by far would be to North & center Africa, Jordan, Lebanese, South west Europe, Sudan as the detour would be massive.
5- Not to mentioned the cancelled destinations themselves which account for a massive feed and revenue to their network ...

What a mess, but I am enjoying my popcorn
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 4841
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 am

Arion640 wrote:
This will shaft Emirates slightly too who fly into Qatar (although probably not as much as the laptop ban is).

iirc Qatar said they won't act in reciprocal
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1885
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Future of QR after diplomatic cuts?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:03 am

Agree that we need more details. However I've heard rumours about closing borders (air, sea & land) from all of these countries against Qatar. Doesn't sound good to QR if they are also closing their airspace to them since QR will be confined to only one way of getting out of the region, not to mention about their regional flyings.

Michael
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3566
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:08 am

airtrantpa wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
Of U.S. interest... the USN 5th Fleet, including a carrier strike group, and US CENTCOM, is based in Bahrain. So... no shortage of surveillance.


USCENTCOM is based at MacDill AFBin Tampa, FL

Probably meant COMUSNAVCENT.
 
ty97
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: Future of QR after diplomatic cuts?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:08 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Agree that we need more details. However I've heard rumours about closing borders (air, sea & land) from all of these countries against Qatar. Doesn't sound good to QR if they are also closing their airspace to them since QR will be confined to only one way of getting out of the region, not to mention about their regional flyings.

Michael


Discussing in the main thread about the relations changes, but it seems pretty clear that borders and air/land travel between the countries will cease. What is currently not clear is if overflight rights are impacted. That will be a big factor (but not the only factor) in how this impacts QR.
 
RoySFlying
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:09 am

Pellegrine wrote:
HOLD ON

I have not seen in reports that KSA and UAE airspace has been closed to Qatari carriers.


Saudi television reported that airspace would be closed to Qatar. See towards the end of the video, where the newsreader states "'to prevent the passage of land, airspace and territorial waters in the KSA." I would imagine that Saudi Arabia would have urged the UAE to follow suit. They are certainly asking other Arab countries to support its stance.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video ... atar-video
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:15 am

RoySFlying wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
HOLD ON

I have not seen in reports that KSA and UAE airspace has been closed to Qatari carriers.


Saudi television reported that airspace would be closed to Qatar. See towards the end of the video, where the newsreader states "'to prevent the passage of land, airspace and territorial waters in the KSA." I would imagine that Saudi Arabia would have urged the UAE to follow suit. They are certainly asking other Arab countries to support its stance.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video ... atar-video


Gotcha. Saudi certainly is pressuring other GCC members and even foreign governments
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:16 am

c933103 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
This will shaft Emirates slightly too who fly into Qatar (although probably not as much as the laptop ban is).

iirc Qatar said they won't act in reciprocal


That would me mighty gentlemanly of them...one would guess they are hoping for a quick resolution.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
ty97
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:19 am

c933103 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
This will shaft Emirates slightly too who fly into Qatar (although probably not as much as the laptop ban is).

iirc Qatar said they won't act in reciprocal


I didn't think Qatar had made a statement yet (or it at least has not made it to English language press) but the UAE ban makes it sound to me like it impacts flights in both directions. Etihad has already canceled DOH service from Tuesday onwards.
 
DY789
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:20 am

Is this an unprecedented move?

By this I mean - are there any other traffic/airspace restrictions due to a country seemingly supporting ridiculous groups? Or is this be expected to be the norm?

Away from aviation also, it will be interesting to see if this will be another nail in the Qatar 2022 World Cup? Probably won't be, but I suspect this will fuel that debate also.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:25 am

The QR flights to ACC, LOS, and KRT could be hurt pretty bad
ORD & IND

AA & DL
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1885
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Future of QR after diplomatic cuts?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:26 am

ty97 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
Agree that we need more details. However I've heard rumours about closing borders (air, sea & land) from all of these countries against Qatar. Doesn't sound good to QR if they are also closing their airspace to them since QR will be confined to only one way of getting out of the region, not to mention about their regional flyings.

Michael


Discussing in the main thread about the relations changes, but it seems pretty clear that borders and air/land travel between the countries will cease. What is currently not clear is if overflight rights are impacted. That will be a big factor (but not the only factor) in how this impacts QR.

Didn't see the main thread until you told me ;) But yes, overflying is a big factor here and we still need to see what's going on with these overflying rights.
 
User avatar
NearMiss
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:27 am

Now, if QR ends up having problems, LATAM has problems.

One problem after another for the Chilean/Brazilian joint venture.
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
 
User avatar
AirIndia
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:43 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:31 am

Well, if anyone has noticed the FIR maps, Qatar really doesnt have an airspace. Its all under Bahrain airspace. So not sure what the specifics will be, but total closure of Bahrain OBBB airspace means no flying in or out of Qatar. So perhaps overflying and airspace restrictions may be limited....

https://www.icao.int/safety/FITS/Lists/ ... A2B443E7C2
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4481
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:32 am

Isn't QR financially backed by the country? Or is it a privately owned carrier? Also, why is this suddenly happening? Was there something said or suddenly found out to cause This? I would think it would have been a slow moving escalation to cause this. Sorry for asking, and yes, I will try to Google it. I admit, I am not familiar with the country or airline.

Oh!!! Doesn't QR fly to the United States? Wouldn't the US follow suit?
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
a320fan
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:33 am

Sigh. Now Regretting having booked with QR for MEL-LHR in August and October
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
User avatar
huaiwei
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:43 am

I can imagine Iran taking advantage, offering Qatar a lifeline and drawing the two closer together.

We gonna see a Qatar Airlift across the Gulf soon?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)
 
airway1
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:48 am

Saudi Airlines has cancelled their flights starting today.

Etihad will suspend flights from Tuesday

Both Emirates and Etihad you cant book on their sites

FlyDubai still bookable (for now).

I suppose Qataris will have to fly via Oman Air, Jazeera or Kuwait Airways to get to Doha
 
RoySFlying
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:48 am

AirIndia wrote:
Well, if anyone has noticed the FIR maps, Qatar really doesnt have an airspace. Its all under Bahrain airspace.


Flight Information Regions and territorial airspace are not synonymous. Flight information and alerts can be managed within a region that covers several countries but that does not mean that territorial air sovereignty is surrendered in any way.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2252
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:50 am

airtrantpa wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
Of U.S. interest... the USN 5th Fleet, including a carrier strike group, and US CENTCOM, is based in Bahrain. So... no shortage of surveillance.


USCENTCOM is based at MacDill AFBin Tampa, FL


Correct. I should have written Fifth Fleet/NAVCENT, which reports to US CENTCOM at MacDill.
 
wenders825
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:29 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:54 am

well, curious to see how BA and AA react to this news

honestly wouldn't BA and RJ be the winners here? I'm sure there will be a lot of rerouting. unless of course, Jordan joins these countries
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 4841
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:55 am

NearMiss wrote:
Now, if QR ends up having problems, LATAM has problems.

One problem after another for the Chilean/Brazilian joint venture.

Why? I thought QR doesn't have much presence in Latin America?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.
 
rukundo
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:10 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:55 am

Pellegrine wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
I would like to see Qatar retaliate, who are their allies right now,,,,,,,Iran? You do know that Qatar relies on those countries for a lot of their everyday functions, right? For pete's sake their only land connections to the outside world are through those countries!!!


In a crisis such as this they can still conduct im/ex commerce through the Strait of Hormuz...nothing's blocking that. Even if all 4 countries deny overflight, besides the harm from not being able to land in those countries, QR flight plans to the SE and NW can easily be detoured slightly over Iran. They don't have many flights to Africa, and those that do can fly east>gulf>Iran>Oman>southwest to points onward.


They serve Kigali, Entebbe, Zanzibar, Algiers, Nairobi, Dar Es Salaam, Nairobi, Addis Ababa Tunis, Casablanca, Marrakech, Maputo, Lagos, Windhoek, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Seychelles, Djibouti, Cairo, Luxor, Khartoum. They plan to serve Abidjan, Accra, Douala, Libreville and Lusaka

Some routes are operated btw 1 and 3 times a day. They operate cargo service, to Kenya, Uganda, South Africa, Ghana, Tunisia, Morroco, Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria.

It's quite important. Some fllights were already impacted, when Yemenia airspace was closed. Few times ago, some Qatar Airways flights to South Africa, Rwanda and Uganda, made a detour over Jeddah, Karthoum, before to fly to the south
 
nutsaboutplanes
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:57 am

ThePointblank wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
Of U.S. interest... the USN 5th Fleet, including a carrier strike group, and US CENTCOM, is based in Bahrain. So... no shortage of surveillance.


USCENTCOM is based at MacDill AFBin Tampa, FL

Probably meant COMUSNAVCENT.


USCENTCOM for the forward operation in the mid-east is based out of AUAB in Qatar. The US ran Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom from this location.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3270
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:00 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
There are also unsubstantiated claims that Qatar is providing material support to ISIS and al-Qaeda, but in the absence of specific evidence I feel that might be shooting from the hip and trumping up charges to justify severing relations. We shall see.


I would be more inclined to think that it is Prime Minister May.

I am wondering if one of the intelligence agencies found a link between someone high up in Qatar and ISIS (money $$$ always follow the money) and this is a quick way of punishing them.

thepinkmachine wrote:
Wonder if this severing of diplomatic relations isn't a prelude to an invasion, or some such...


I doubt it, this is a way of sending a message,an invasion would take it to a whole different level.

a320fan wrote:
Sigh. Now Regretting having booked with QR for MEL-LHR in August and October


You will be fine, this will be over ina few days.
 
jacobchoi
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:32 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:02 am

https://lovindubai.com/lifestyle/travel ... rspace-ban

Sorry just saw this and hope it helps with the visuals
 
Vladex
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:03 am

c933103 wrote:
NearMiss wrote:
Now, if QR ends up having problems, LATAM has problems.

One problem after another for the Chilean/Brazilian joint venture.

Why? I thought QR doesn't have much presence in Latin America?


I think he is alluding that QR is leasing several A350's from LATAM.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19450
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:11 am

Pellegrine wrote:
That would me mighty gentlemanly of them...one would guess they are hoping for a quick resolution.


The simple reality is that Qatar is a tiny country (despite its vast gas & oil wealth) and reciprocating would have little to no effect on their neighbours ability to do business (and flights) around them.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
B747forever
Posts: 13861
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:34 am

Wow, the one thing that has always been a threat to the ME3 has been the risk for instability in the region. With the laptop ban and now this it seems the ME3 are in for some turbulent times.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18279
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:36 am

jetwet1 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
There are also unsubstantiated claims that Qatar is providing material support to ISIS and al-Qaeda, but in the absence of specific evidence I feel that might be shooting from the hip and trumping up charges to justify severing relations. We shall see.


I would be more inclined to think that it is Prime Minister May.

I am wondering if one of the intelligence agencies found a link between someone high up in Qatar and ISIS (money $$$ always follow the money) and this is a quick way of punishing them.

How can the country support both ISIS and Iran?
I don't take responsibility at all
 
log0008
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:38 am

Emirates will suspend flights to and from Doha from June 6

https://twitter.com/DavidInglesTV/statu ... 7979188224
 
B747forever
Posts: 13861
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:47 am

Etihad also suspending flights to DOH from the 6th

http://www.etihad.com/en-lb/announcemen ... uspension/

What a mess.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
log0008
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:57 am

Hard to work out the impact for EK and EY, DOH is a high traffic route but on the other hand they will pick of traffic from QR, not only from the banned countries but around the world as concerns about DOH grow.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5828
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:00 am

In any case, it is proven that the State of Qatar subsidises ISIS, which will be the impact in Qatar Airways from the EU or the US?

Wouldn't some kind of sanctions be applied to Qatari-controlled companies? Interestingly they have an stake in IAG.
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:08 am

rukundo wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
I would like to see Qatar retaliate, who are their allies right now,,,,,,,Iran? You do know that Qatar relies on those countries for a lot of their everyday functions, right? For pete's sake their only land connections to the outside world are through those countries!!!


In a crisis such as this they can still conduct im/ex commerce through the Strait of Hormuz...nothing's blocking that. Even if all 4 countries deny overflight, besides the harm from not being able to land in those countries, QR flight plans to the SE and NW can easily be detoured slightly over Iran. They don't have many flights to Africa, and those that do can fly east>gulf>Iran>Oman>southwest to points onward.


They serve Kigali, Entebbe, Zanzibar, Algiers, Nairobi, Dar Es Salaam, Nairobi, Addis Ababa Tunis, Casablanca, Marrakech, Maputo, Lagos, Windhoek, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Seychelles, Djibouti, Cairo, Luxor, Khartoum. They plan to serve Abidjan, Accra, Douala, Libreville and Lusaka

Some routes are operated btw 1 and 3 times a day. They operate cargo service, to Kenya, Uganda, South Africa, Ghana, Tunisia, Morroco, Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria.

It's quite important. Some fllights were already impacted, when Yemenia airspace was closed. Few times ago, some Qatar Airways flights to South Africa, Rwanda and Uganda, made a detour over Jeddah, Karthoum, before to fly to the south


Silly me and my memory. Well the flights to eastern and southern Africa can go DOH>Bandar Abbas>Muscat>Arabian Sea>. Western and northern Africa is trickier but not impossible, they'd have to decide whether to take the "northwestern route" (Iran>Turkey) or the "east then south route" going around the Arabian peninsula. Somalia, Yemen, South Sudan, and Libya must also be avoided or have minimum altitude restrictions of FL240. It will be interesting to see the flight paths.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:13 am

scbriml wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
That would me mighty gentlemanly of them...one would guess they are hoping for a quick resolution.


The simple reality is that Qatar is a tiny country (despite its vast gas & oil wealth) and reciprocating would have little to no effect on their neighbours ability to do business (and flights) around them.


What would be AMAZING - not likely though - would be if Qatar convinced Iran to deny UAE carriers overflight.

This whole Iranian connection is bollocks anyway. UAE does a HUGE amount of trade with Iran, but they want to make a drink about what Qatar is doing? Hypocrites.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
pugman211
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:16 am

Who supplies Qatar with oil/fuel??
 
BelAviaFan
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:32 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:22 am

In a reaction, Qatar Airways has now suspended all flights between Doha and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

http://www.luchtzak.be/airlines/qatar-a ... suspended/
BelAviaFan: Belgian Aviation Fan
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:23 am

Yemen has cut ties as well.

FlyDubai is suspending flights to Qatar.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5828
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 am

BelAviaFan wrote:
In a reaction, Qatar Airways has now suspended all flights between Doha and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

http://www.luchtzak.be/airlines/qatar-a ... suspended/


Obviously Qatar has much more to lose.

At the end this is a very good thing for Emirates/Etihad/Saudia. A lot of people travel to DXB/AUH/KSA via DOH on cheaper fares. Now that possibility is gone and EK/EY/SV can pick that market.
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:25 am

pugman211 wrote:
Who supplies Qatar with oil/fuel??


They have enough production to cover themselves and export some crude oil and a whole lotta LNG.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 14

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos