rebr

Re: Breaking: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:22 pm

lightsaber wrote:
I need popcorn!

Me too! :)

Purely hypothetical, but imagine what happens if Iran sides with Qatar and closes their airspace for EK and EY as a result. Now that would disrupt air travel :)

32andBelow

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Time to pull the World Cup

sadiqutp

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:26 pm

edu2703 wrote:

São Paulo-Doha, with restrictions, will have a distance between 13,600-14,000 km (8,500-8,700 mi). The maximum range of Boeing 777-200LR (with 317 passengers) is 15,840 km (9,845 mi)

Since Yemen joined in to the party, will the whole Sana'a FIR be blocked to QR as well?

Varsity1

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:38 pm

How does Bahrain have control over Qatar's airspace?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

SFOATLFlyer

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:43 pm

sadiqutp wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:
here are Iranian terror groups I.E Hezbollah and Hamas

i am not taking side because both of them are worse but i mean let's be honest here

I always cringe when some people throw names and assumptions that are massively inaccurate without any knowledge or background.
Hezbollahis a militant in South Lebanon, and Hamas is militant in Gaza Strip. They do NOT exist in Qatar in any shape or form.
Does Qatar support them? Depends on who you ask

I'm not certain you can say with 100% accuracy any sect may or may not be operating in Qatar, or any nation. Just because they are not visible does not mean they are not there.

c933103

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:47 pm

sadiqutp wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:

i am not taking side because both of them are worse but i mean let's be honest here

I always cringe when some people throw names and assumptions that are massively inaccurate without any knowledge or background.
Hezbollahis a militant in South Lebanon, and Hamas is militant in Gaza Strip. They do NOT exist in Qatar in any shape or form.

If you know where Hamas is you should be able to tell why I mentioned it together with Israel
The message in signature have been removed according to demand.

edu2703

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

As I said before, any country has sovereignty over airspace above its territories. Bahrain can not block airspace over Qatar. If they do, they are declaring war.

gatibosgru

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:02 pm

I find it comical that this all stems from, mostly, Saudia Arabia lol The irony of it all.
@DadCelo

CanadaFair

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:05 pm

SFOATLFlyer wrote:
sadiqutp wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:

I'm not certain you can say with 100% accuracy any sect may or may not be operating in Qatar, or any nation. Just because they are not visible does not mean they are not there.

Yes his post was quite cringe worthy in its naievete.

United787

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:07 pm

For the less knowledgable on this site, some questions:

How is an ATC area equate to or differ from and FIR?
Does FIR really equate to control over a sovereign country's air space? It would seem like a country still controls it own air space even if it shares an ATC or FIR area, correct?
Those FIR areas seem to cover every square inch of water but most of the water is international waters, correct?

FIR https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_information_region

jnev3289

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:09 pm

32andBelow wrote:

:rotfl: No one is even going to remember this happened in 1 month, let alone 5 years.

3rdGen

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Just to get one thing clear. Qatar is not asking any nationals of the countries that oppose it to leave Qatar. Those countries have asked their nationals to leave. So those who work in Qatar are free to stay. Qatar has not retaliated in any way shape or form from this.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

edu2703

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:15 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Wow...
Watching this develop is amazing.
This is a trade war on quite a scale. I'd imagine supermarket shelves will go bare in Doha.

This strikes me as a play to reign in support of Iran.

I'm curious as to how much feed to India is impacted.

I need popcorn!

Lightsaber
PS, late edit:
Nevermind, food rush in Doha:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... neighbors/

Qatar has been very smart in its overseas investments, including it's one of the largest owners of farmland in Australia.

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/qatars-f ... 303-gna8w5

ImperialEagle

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:16 pm

There is so much going on behind the scene-----with all the players------- and we will likely never be privy to what is really going on.
Speculate away!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

32andBelow

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:20 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

:rotfl: No one is even going to remember this happened in 1 month, let alone 5 years.
I remember how many people died building those stadiums. Also, Qatar will probably be uninhabitable within 5 years

WPvsMW

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 pm

[humor] Except for film crews working on post-Armageddon productions. [/humor]
Last edited by WPvsMW on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnev3289

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 pm

32andBelow wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

I remember how many people died building those stadiums. Also, Qatar will probably be uninhabitable within 5 years

If only they could be a civilized country like the US, where no one dies working on vanity projects :roll:
https://www.osha.gov/oshstats/commonstats.html
940 construction deaths in the US in 2015, or about 2.57 per day

Why will it be "uninhabitable" again?

32andBelow

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:29 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

If only they could be a civilized country like the US, where no one dies working on vanity projects :roll:

Global warming.

Please the US a country of 315 million with dozens of large cities vs one event in the middle of the freaking desert.

lancelot07

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 pm

OGLOBAL wrote:
LLA001 wrote:
P1aneMad wrote:
Hopefully Icelandair's 757s will fly to the rescue!

I am looking at FlightRadar to see if there is an increase at cargo flights to Qatar but just found regular airliner traffic. I guess we will see that increase in the next few days?

there are Iranian terror groups I.E Hezbollah and Hamas

Hamas and Hezbollah never committed terror in the west.

jnev3289

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 pm

32andBelow wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Global warming.

Please the US a country of 315 million with dozens of large cities vs one event in the middle of the freaking desert.

I have a feeling you'll be greatly disappointed when Qatar continues thriving and hosts a very successful World Cup.

sadiqutp

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:36 pm

Additional NOTAM issued re: Qatar. Routings through the Tehran FIR to/from Qatar. More info on our blog at :
https://blog.flightradar24.com/blog/fli ... and-egypt/

Arion640

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:37 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

Global warming.

I have a feeling you'll be greatly disappointed when Qatar continues thriving and hosts a very successful World Cup.

Doha is the next Dubai. Watch this space.
Great Britain: the worlds gateway to Europe.

lancelot07

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

they don't. To try to do so would be an act of war.
airspace is not FIR. FIR is about administration of traffic.

NichCage

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:54 pm

This is gonna mess up QR for sure if they don't have airspace from UAE and Saudi Arabia. QR's flights to Africa for example would have to fly around Iran and it would take longer. Hopefully all the issues get fixed as soon as possible.

n729pa

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Funny a few months ago there was a thread on here about what would stop one of the ME3 from expanding and what would ever stop their growing dominance.

It looks like we've got our answer.

But it's a bit hypocritical of the Saudis though. What's the expression about stones and glass houses?

Plenty of other countries still talking to the Qataris ...Oman Jordan Kuwait haven't pinned their colours to the Saudi mast at the moment, I'm sure it will blow over.

aircatalonia

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:02 pm

QR142 BCN-DOH already on the northern route to avoid KSA. First flight to take the new route.

KTPAFlyer

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm going to bet that QR is going to stand its ground. As somebody mentioned earlier, they can either hold out or they can capitulate, but then admit they were supporting the bad guys. The US is actually the one that has the most to lose because if they support the Saudis, then they piss of Qatar which happens to be the location of the largest base in the region. If I was the US, I would side with Qatar because if not, the US now has the impossible task of convincing Qatar that they should let the US pull out Qatar's only bargaining card AND risks strengthening Iran even more. That said, it's a lose lose for the US because if they side with Qatar, then they piss of the Saudis and the rest of the Gulf. Based on empirical evidence, even though Qatar is very vulnerable, it has much more leverage because its situation is mutually favorable to the US if they take Qatar's side vs. siding with the Saudis.

ExDubai

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:11 pm

I can't wait to hear AAB's statement about the mess...
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

ExDubai

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:20 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
I'm going to bet that QR is going to stand its ground. As somebody mentioned earlier, they can either hold out or they can capitulate, but then admit they were supporting the bad guys. The US is actually the one that has the most to lose because if they support the Saudis, then they piss of Qatar which happens to be the location of the largest base in the region. If I was the US, I would side with Qatar because if not, the US now has the impossible task of convincing Qatar that they should let the US pull out Qatar's only bargaining card AND risks strengthening Iran even more. That said, it's a lose lose for the US because if they side with Qatar, then they piss of the Saudis and the rest of the Gulf. Based on empirical evidence, even though Qatar is very vulnerable, it has much more leverage because its situation is mutually favorable to the US if they take Qatar's side vs. siding with the Saudis.

They'll try to stay out of the mess. Don't forget the large weapon order DT received a couple of days before.
With the religious statement KSA is defacto calling for a regime change. Don't know how long Qatar is able to stand their ground. I bet there is a lot of pressure on Kuwait, Oman and Jordan to join forces against Qatar
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

berari

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Routing changes are already apparent: Djibouti to Doha is now routing via Ethiopia, Somaliand, then Muscat FIR. Previous flights have gone through Ethiopia, Sudan, over Red Sea and Saudi Arabia. What's interesting about the JIB-DOH route is that it's affected by restricted airspace on both ends.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 8/#da25972

B747forever

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 pm

aircatalonia wrote:
QR142 BCN-DOH already on the northern route to avoid KSA. First flight to take the new route.

Check out QR1438 (JIB-DOH). Will have to go the long way around from Eastern Africa to DOH in order to avoid KSA.
Work Hard, Fly Right

berari

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:18 pm

Khartoum to Doha on QR1332 will see a detour via Ethiopia, Somaliand, then Muscat FIR. Departed on time, scheduled to arrive 3 hours 20 minutes later per QR's flight status.

F9Animal

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:28 pm

persiangulf93 wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:
LLA001 wrote:

I am looking at FlightRadar to see if there is an increase at cargo flights to Qatar but just found regular airliner traffic. I guess we will see that increase in the next few days?

there are Iranian terror groups I.E Hezbollah and Hamas

1st. They are Lebanese/ Arab - Not Iranian! I can name you dozens of terror groups and acts coming from KSA, one of them is 9/11...
2nd. Everyone that doesn't follow US foreign policies is labeled as terrorists..., Hamas & Hezbollah didn't even murder a fraction of people compared to what the US government is doing for decenia!

Really? LOL!!! I have yet to see the US enforce anything over this issue. I take it you aren't a fan of the USA? Take a number please.

So, back on topic. Does anyone know if Qatar will be able to serve the US? Has there been any response by the US yet? If several other countries follow, what is the future of QR? Is this a temporary issue?
I Am A Different Animal!!

edu2703

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:41 pm

theSFOspotter

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 pm

downdata wrote:
theSFOspotter wrote:
About time those countries did something about the others supporting the muslim brotherhood. Hopefully President Trump adds Qatar to the travel ban.

Yes the US will ban an ally which hosts 10000+ US troops. What's next? Travel ban to the U.K. or Japan?

Japan doesnt have islamic extremists running around their country.
Q-400 A319 A320 B737-300/400/700/800/900ER B757-200/300 B787-8

Pellegrine

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:14 am

F9Animal wrote:
Does anyone know if Qatar will be able to serve the US? Has there been any response by the US yet?

YES QR can serve the US.

Sec. Rex Tillerson has told them all to sit at the table, be quiet, and play nice.
oh boy, here we go!!!

BoeingVista

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:28 am

theSFOspotter wrote:
downdata wrote:
theSFOspotter wrote:
About time those countries did something about the others supporting the muslim brotherhood. Hopefully President Trump adds Qatar to the travel ban.

Yes the US will ban an ally which hosts 10000+ US troops. What's next? Travel ban to the U.K. or Japan?

Japan doesnt have islamic extremists running around their country.

So you want a travel ban to the UK?
BV

Midwestindy

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:34 am

how are the DOH-AMM flights going to work, unless they fly most of the route over Iraq?
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

MillwallSean

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:42 am

sadiqutp wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:

Hmm while not politiscisng the thread. Hamas long time former leader Khalid Mashal is a honorary guest of Qatar. Until the pressure in 2015, Qatar was home to the full Hamas leadership, they were temporary exiled. And as late as two days ago, Qatar gave Hamas a list of 25 individuals of their organisation that should leave to comply with the neighbors pressure. The new leader Ismail Haniyeh lived for years in Qatar before he returned to Gaza in 2016 etc etc and his family still stays in Qatar.
Hamas, a sunni organisation, is aligned with the Muslim Brotherhood, an organistion whom today has its main base in Qatar.
Hamas controlled by Iran? A hardline MB sunni faction controlled by the only theocratic shia republic, thats just plain wrong and well such misunderstandings arenthelpful for those wishing to understand the basics in the ME.
Last edited by MillwallSean on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

indcwby

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:43 am

Questions, how does this affect 77L flights, say from IAH for example? Any impact on flights needing a fuel stop in between? Also, non-aviation question. What are the odds FIFA pulls the WorldCup from Qatar? :)
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

danj555

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:46 am

Why do all the pictures show flights routing around Iraq? It's not part of the ban...

SFOATLFlyer

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:50 am

danj555 wrote:
Why do all the pictures show flights routing around Iraq? It's not part of the ban...

It is considered a war zone. Many flights go around to avoid Iraqi airspace. Ditto with Syria.
Last edited by SFOATLFlyer on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

edu2703

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:53 am

danj555 wrote:

Because Iraq airspace is very dangerous maybe

JoeCanuck

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:55 am

B777LRF wrote:
Let's keep in mind, this is nothing but a high-level p1ssing match between cousins. KSA wants to lead the Gulf, by bullying if necessary. It's main adversary is Iran, owing to a lack of cousins and difference of opinion it the 'who succeeds Muhammed' argument.

It takes a lot of gall for someone like KSA turning to anyone and accusing them of creating instability and supporting terrorism. But such are politics in the Gulf.

A few days ago the Emir of Qatar praised Iran as a stabilising factor in the Gulf. That got the Saudi's knickers in a wad, and before you know it a deep hole has been dug, which cannot be exited without some loss of face. And that, for a fool whos incompetence is only eclipsed by his arrogance, is a pill too bitter to swallow. Far better to have a major diplomatic crises, with a bit of blockading thrown in for good measure.

This will all blow over in a couple of days, when it starts costing the Qatari's too much money. Some wasta will be dished out, and a face-saving compromise which sort of establishes the leadership of KSA, without actually saying as much, will be found.

Al-Jazz might be closed down, though.

That will take a lot. Qatar is crazy rich. I lived there for a couple of years. I got to see them build downtown Doha almost overnight. Very small population and they share, with Iran, the biggest gas reserves in the world. They are rolling in it...and unlike the Saudis, they aren't spending billions per day on foreign wars. Gas, (Qatar's main export), didn't take nearly the hit that oil did.

I got to know a lot of Qataris, and they rarely had anything complimentary to say about Saudi. Basically, they want to rule their own universe and refuse to kneel at the feet of the KSA rulers. Saudi, of course, finds that unacceptable.

QR will be given whatever they need to survive...for as long as it needs. It's a short boat ride to Iran or Oman, so food and supplies will not be an issue at all. As well, Pakistan and India are just around the corner. Oman, Kuwait, Iraq, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia...and of course the thorn in KSA's side, Iran...are among the many countries that will more than welcome Qatar commerce.

As well...when people talk about the UAE, they don't seem to realise that it really isn't one, single country. Its 7 Emirates, relatively loosely associated and in this instance, the action is mostly by Abu Dhabi...and not so much Dubai...which has massive trade with Iran and Qatar. Dubai just keeps quiet and keeps on moving money....or the things money can buy. Sure, EK is following along, but it's more about expediency, rather than picking sides.

My bet is that this is going to drag out for quite some time.
What the...?

log0008

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:55 am

danj555 wrote:

Iraqi (like Syrian airspace) is restricted by most countries due to the on going war.

Irehdna

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:56 am

indcwby wrote:
Questions, how does this affect 77L flights, say from IAH for example? Any impact on flights needing a fuel stop in between?

US routes anyways flew near perfect north from DOH, no fuel stop should be added. Only the longer routes SE or SW like GRU, SYD, and AKL may need fuel stop.

C010T3

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:06 am

Considering how QR is now at disadvantage to foreign airlines because of the routing restrictions, I believe that direct subsidies could now be justifiable without infringing any bilateral agreements, I guess.
Does anyone else see it differently?

edu2703

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:08 am

indcwby wrote:
Questions, how does this affect 77L flights, say from IAH for example? Any impact on flights needing a fuel stop in between? Also, non-aviation question. What are the odds FIFA pulls the WorldCup from Qatar? :)

1- Already answered

2-About the World Cup, it will depend on how long these sanctions will last.

Aesma

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:39 am

FIFA is not controlled by a couple of countries in the Middle East so there is no reason to pull the World Cup.

It should have never been given/sold to begin with, yet it was, so aside from a war it will go on.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Pellegrine

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:42 am

danj555 wrote:

Libya, Syria, Iraq, Somalia, and Yemen (except oceanic portion) are considered "Moderate Risk - No Fly" by the Flight Service Bureau (an aviation consultancy) because of the risk factions on the ground have access to MANPADS and SAMs.

From the UK AIP ENR 1.1 section 1.4:

Other countries have their own recommendations, but most are similar between US/UK/Germany/France.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos