777GE90

Re: Bahrain, Egypt and KSA closed their airspace for Qatar

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:32 pm

With all this happening partly because of Qatar's alleged support for Iran, do you think Iran would retaliate with closing it's airspace to EK/EY/SV/etc? That could be just as disastrous for the other ME3 airlines as is the current ban to QR.

a320fan

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm

777GE90 wrote:
With all this happening partly because of Qatar's alleged support for Iran, do you think Iran would retaliate with closing it's airspace to EK/EY/SV/etc? That could be just as disastrous for the other ME3 airlines as is the current ban to QR.

Without getting into other political fall out they may occur, operationally They would just use Saudi airspace.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

aemoreira1981

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:08 pm

sadiqutp wrote:
I doubt UN is going to make any difference.
Qatar has asked the United Nations' aviation agency to intervene in an airspace rights' dispute with three Gulf states following an escalating diplomatic row and trade blockade, two sources familiar with the matter said on Monday.

Qatar has sent a letter to the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) governing council in an effort to resolve the dispute after Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Bahrain closed their airspace to Qatari flights.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gulf- ... SKBN1931KB

Donald Trump will direct Nikki Haley to invoke a veto there. This isn't unlike when after the KE7 shootdown, the USSR used its veto to block a resolution condemning it. However, if such is done, I could see Iran closing its airspace to EK and EY at least, and possibly Pakistan doing likewise.

CanadaFair

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Pakistan is in bed with all GCC members, will never ban any stuff related to it.
Last edited by CanadaFair on Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:28 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Donald Trump will direct Nikki Haley to invoke a veto there. This isn't unlike when after the KE7 shootdown, the USSR used its veto to block a resolution condemning it. However, if such is done, I could see Iran closing its airspace to EK and EY at least, and possibly Pakistan doing likewise.

UN in the sense ICAO Chicago Convention rules. There is nothing to veto.

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:08 am

According to AAB, the duty-free sales at the airline's Doha hub have fallen 25% in the past week.
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

KTPAFlyer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 am

777GE90 wrote:

If this ban isn't lifted within the next few months, there is no question of if, but when. Iran has nothing to lose, the GCC already hates it.

777GE90

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:22 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
777GE90 wrote:

If this ban isn't lifted within the next few months, there is no question of if, but when. Iran has nothing to lose, the GCC already hates it.

What about air traffic control fees? Do they make good money from the ME3 corridor?

ExDubai

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 am

Yepp, they are one of the winners in that mess. A lot of unexpected money coming in...
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

CanadaFair

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:15 am

Is QR banned from using Bahrain airspace once again?

sadiqutp

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:29 am

CanadaFair wrote:
Is QR banned from using Bahrain airspace once again?

I don't think so! there is a flight through it right now
https://www.flightradar24.com/QTR227/dbd09b6

WPvsMW

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:37 am

Excellent article (no paywall) at CAPA on the Gulf airspace issue.
https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... ion-348493

KSA did not sign the Transit Agreement (signatories allow unlimited 1st and 2nd Freedoms), but UAE, Bahrain, and Egypt did sign it ... which may explain why QR flights over Bahrain continue ... probably case-by-case (flight-by-flight).

KTPAFlyer

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:40 am

QR has officially appealed to the UN over the Gulf blockade

https://www.rt.com/business/392051-qata ... n-boycott/

GlenP

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:47 am

Just to confirm that, in the case of Egyptian airspace, at least, only QR and MS flights to and from Doha are affected by the ban. Other airlines are free to overfly Egypt.

See: http://tinyurl.com/ybs7oz25
Ubique Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

KarelXWB

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:31 am

Meanwhile Oman Air is increasing frequenties to Qatar:

Oman Air increases flight frequency to Qatar
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 am

WPvsMW wrote:
Excellent article (no paywall) at CAPA on the Gulf airspace issue.
https://centreforaviation.com/insights/ ... ion-348493

KSA did not sign the Transit Agreement (signatories allow unlimited 1st and 2nd Freedoms), but UAE, Bahrain, and Egypt did sign it ... which may explain why QR flights over Bahrain continue ... probably case-by-case (flight-by-flight).

excellent article indeed.

I think it's high time Qatar reclaims its airspace from Bahrain. Conflicts such as these illustrate the importance of having control of one's own airspace.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

huaiwei

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:40 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
I think it's high time Qatar reclaims its airspace from Bahrain. Conflicts such as these illustrate the importance of having control of one's own airspace.

Airspace, or FIR? Reading the article (and that map) makes it even more confusing.

Qatar does not have an FIR at all, so perhaps you mean Qatar's airspace should be controlled by its own FIR?
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

sierra3tango

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:11 am

huaiwei wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

Airspace, or FIR? Reading the article (and that map) makes it even more confusing.

Qatar does not have an FIR at all, so perhaps you mean Qatar's airspace should be controlled by its own FIR?

Remember attending a SAR briefing at Bahrain's CAA in about 2001, IIRC in those days Qatar had its own FIR, which was surrounded by Bahrain's FIR which extended all the way down to the UAE coast.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:19 am

huaiwei wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

Yes. FIR. That's what I meant. Qatar should have it's own FIR. Ideally one that borders Iran and is not completely surrounded by Bahrain FIR. This way, there is a way in/out of the country if ever Bahrain decides to revoke all overflight/arr/dep rights from Qatar.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

ExDubai

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:03 am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... d-blockade

For me it looks like that mess won't be finished soon

uta999

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:55 am

The US, UK and Europe should insist on seeing proof of Qatar state involvement in funding terrorism. They should also examine whether Saudi Arabia does too, then impose a flight ban on their national carrier, quickly followed by EK. Then you will see how quickly this will resolve itself.

Doha is being bullied out of existence, by the pot calling the kettle black. Saudi Arabia is more to blame than anyone else.
Your computer just got better

readytotaxi

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 am

The US UK would never insist on seeing proof, far to many skellintons in that closet to bite them in the arse.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

mjoelnir

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:35 am

The US or better Donald Trump started this crisis with seeming to give Saudi Arabia the go ahead at his visit. Perhaps he did not realize what he started, but I think it is not wise to look at the USA to solve this crisis. My Money is on Kuwait, being the player behind the screens trying to solve this, if it is possible at all. I do not expect a war, specially because of the USA Air Force base in Qatar with its about 10,000 USA military personal.

I thought rather the KSA rather than the UAE was implicated in Yemen.

bennett123

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 am

I had been considering going to the Dubai Air Show.

Think I will wait 10 days then think again.

I do not fancy flying into a war zone.

ExDubai

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:04 pm

bennett123 wrote:

What war zone?

yowza

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:10 pm

ExDubai wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

What war zone?

I think the comment was supposed to point out that things do not appear to be cooling down and that an escalation of this could be round the corner. That could constitute a state of war of sorts...

enilria

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:25 pm

yowza wrote:
ExDubai wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

What war zone?

I think the comment was supposed to point out that things do not appear to be cooling down and that an escalation of this could be round the corner. That could constitute a state of war of sorts...

Going from closed borders to attacking each other is a big jump.

bennett123

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:46 pm

The Airshow is in November.

A lot can change in that time, good or bad.

I am sitting tight and watching develoopments.

edu2703

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Iran to not allow airplanes operated by Saudi Arabia to cross into their airspace. - RT Arabic

AeroTyke

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:48 pm

edu2703 wrote:
Iran to not allow airplanes operated by Saudi Arabia to cross into their airspace. - RT Arabic

I can imagine Saudi Arabia are having a good chuckle over that one. They don't have any flights that would naturally go over Iran's airspace anyway that I can see from a glance of the JED flight boards. And even if they did it's an easy detour for them through Muscat and the top corner of Mumbai FIRs for eastern routes and to the west they carry on as normal through Jordan to Europe.

CanadaFair

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Saudia were to operate ;hajj flits to Iran.

Varsity1

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:29 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
The US or better Donald Trump started this crisis with seeming to give Saudi Arabia the go ahead at his visit. Perhaps he did not realize what he started, but I think it is not wise to look at the USA to solve this crisis. My Money is on Kuwait, being the player behind the screens trying to solve this, if it is possible at all. I do not expect a war, specially because of the USA Air Force base in Qatar with its about 10,000 USA military personal.

Are you being sarcastic?

The USA isn't even a party to this disagreement. The US just sold Qatar new F15's and has the largest airbase in the middle east in Qatar.

What's next? Blame the orbit of the solar system on the USA?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

edu2703

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:42 am

bennett123 wrote:

Well, I do not know if the situation will get worse or will continue the same way. I see articles saying that nothing serious will happen, that the chances of armed conflict are very small.

I also see articles like the one made by Konstantin Truevtsev from Valdai Discussion Club. He says the possibilities for armed conflict are considerable if Qatar doesn't meet the 13 demands imposed by KSA.

Some of these requirements are virtually impossible to complete in 10 days (Close Al-Jazeera, Shut Turkish Base). No one knows what will happen if Qatar doesn't meet the demands within 10 days. For now, what you read on the internet about what will happen are just predictions. "Nothing will happen" and "There will be an armed conflict" are the two extremes of these predictions.

ubeema

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:48 am

enilria wrote:
yowza wrote:
ExDubai wrote:
What war zone?

Going from closed borders to attacking each other is a big jump.

Remember Irak invaded Kuwait over alleged petroleum theft. You know the rest... We are not there yet BUT if this conflict drags on and egos are scratched you can bet joint chiefs of staff from interested parties will be asked to put options on the table.

Eyad89

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:53 am

edu2703 wrote:

It is interesting that UAE carriers were left out of this. What does it mean?

PerfectGriffin

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:35 am

Eyad89 wrote:
edu2703 wrote:

If UAE was also included then that would be a disaster for EK and EY.

persiangulf93

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:33 am

PerfectGriffin wrote:
Eyad89 wrote:
edu2703 wrote:

Iran gets thousands of dollars of money from each EK and EY plane that uses Iranian airspace, per hour...

It doesn't make sense to block them other than moral reasons

SomebodyInTLS

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:34 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

The USA isn't even a party to this disagreement. The US just sold Qatar new F15's and has the largest airbase in the middle east in Qatar.

What's next? Blame the orbit of the solar system on the USA?

Mjoelnir over-eggs it a bit but there have been several media commentators - even before things escalated to the Qatar airspace row - saying Trump's visit was intended as an endorsement of Saudi Arabia which encourages it to further project its influence.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:46 pm

persiangulf93 wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:
Eyad89 wrote:

Iran gets thousands of dollars of money from each EK and EY plane that uses Iranian airspace, per hour...

It doesn't make sense to block them other than moral reasons

Sure, but then again, none of this debacle makes any sense commercially, only for (im)moral reasons.

readytotaxi

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:54 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

None of the "locals" are going to invade Qatar with 10,000+ US troops & aircraft there and backup just a few hours away. Agree that Kuwait is probably a backgroung player in sorting this, as the Swiss so often are.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:02 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

None of the "locals" are going to invade Qatar with 10,000+ US troops & aircraft there and backup just a few hours away. Agree that Kuwait is probably a backgroung player in sorting this, as the Swiss so often are.

The Swiss??? Care to explain or give examples?

mjoelnir

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:21 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

I think it is just a comparison. Switzerland has been used in the past as a neutral go between between countries not talking to one another. In this case Kuwait is still talking to both sides.

MalevTU134

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:05 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

I think it is just a comparison. Switzerland has been used in the past as a neutral go between between countries not talking to one another. In this case Kuwait is still talking to both sides.

My question remains...when/where/in what conflict was that? I would say Norway has been far more active as mediator, such as in the Oslo deal between Israel and the PLO, in the conflict in Sri Lanka, in mediations between FARC and the Colombian government... But Switzerland?...

edu2703

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Rumor: In the next 48 hours:

1. Kuwait to cut ALL ties with Qatar
2. Jordan to cut ALL ties with Qatar
3. GCC to cut ALL ties with Turkey

THY748i

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:45 pm

This is madness, what will the GCC gain from this. They're building themselves an island of isolation if above is all going to happen. Well for what it's worth at least Turkey might turn to Europe again instead of 16th century style theocracies.
Are there any numbers out there about passenger flow changes etc since the start of the conflict at QR? Has Oman Air really been the "winner" in all of this as of now?

mjoelnir

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:43 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

My question remains...when/where/in what conflict was that? I would say Norway has been far more active as mediator, such as in the Oslo deal between Israel and the PLO, in the conflict in Sri Lanka, in mediations between FARC and the Colombian government... But Switzerland?...

Switzerland is the classic mediator or neutral go between.

read: http://www.americanswiss.org/switzerlan ... d-offices/

I have been stupid again searching the internet instead of letting people find things themselves.

MalevTU134

Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:02 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Switzerland is the classic mediator or neutral go between.

read: http://www.americanswiss.org/switzerlan ... d-offices/

I have been stupid again searching the internet instead of letting people find things themselves.

Takkar fyrir!
I did search but came up with nothing. And while this page does show a few conflicts where they did participate in the mediation (mostly as part of a multy-party effort, for example OSCE), that is hardly being the classic mediator. But, whatever, this is really off topic anyway.

777GE90

Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:43 pm

edu2703 wrote:

Very intersting.

Source?

CanadaFair

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Kuwait mediator to take a u-turn LOL!

edu2703

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:10 pm

777GE90 wrote:
edu2703 wrote:

Very intersting.

Source?

Dr. Jasim Khalfan via Twitter https://twitter.com/DrJasimKhalfan/stat ... 8488681472

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos