Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sandyb123

Re: Cubana and their Il-96´s - discussion thread

Sun May 03, 2020 6:01 pm

Currently flying about 50 miles from my home! And the only commercial airliner overflying the U.K. north of MAN.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

dcajet

Sun May 03, 2020 8:01 pm

tofen wrote:
CU-T1250 is currently on her way to Moscow as CUB9574.
Corona related charter or for maintenance of some kind?

Well, it is headed to Vnukovo airport. where all "official/government" flights land at Moscow. That suggests it may be a government flight of some sort. Maintenance for the IL-96s is carried at Voronezh.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

SR380

Wed May 13, 2020 2:09 pm

Hey guys,

So this morning I came to realize that CU seems to had problems with the An-158 from day one. It seems that all aircraft needs maintenance, but also that fatigue failures have been detected (similar to what the A380's program experienced at first).

Are CU's An158 the only to experience such issues, or is it something that could affect the smaller An-148, currently flying for JS or other airlines in Russia?

bkmbr

Wed May 13, 2020 2:18 pm

An-148 have been grounded on Russia in since 2018 according to what I have read online.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2018/03/ ... ash-a60882

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-airlines ... 11532.html

dfw88

Wed May 13, 2020 2:47 pm

bkmbr wrote:
An-148 have been grounded on Russia in since 2018 according to what I have read online.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2018/03/ ... ash-a60882

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-airlines ... 11532.html

That grounding was lifted, but I'm not sure when. Angara Airlines flies their AN-148 regularly. Here's an example: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ra-61714

bkmbr

Wed May 13, 2020 2:55 pm

I couldn't find the information that the grounding was lifted anywhere. Good to know.

dcajet

Wed May 13, 2020 6:25 pm

SR380 wrote:
Hey guys,

So this morning I came to realize that CU seems to had problems with the An-158 from day one. It seems that all aircraft needs maintenance, but also that fatigue failures have been detected (similar to what the A380's program experienced at first).

Are CU's An158 the only to experience such issues, or is it something that could affect the smaller An-148, currently flying for JS or other airlines in Russia?

Cubana was uncharacteristically candid when the fleet was grounded in 2018:

“multiple and repeating failures have been found in complex systems, built by mechanical, hydraulic and electrical components, as well as computer performance algorithms,” as well as “evidence of design and manufacturing flaws, serious issues in flight control system, cracks in the structure and engine temperature increase above normal parameters.”

I seem to recall reading that an agreement has since been signed with either Russia or what remains of Antonov back in Ukraine to get the fleet to an airworthy condition again and that some work was being carried in HAV.

https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/05/17/cub ... 158-fleet/

mark1484

Wed May 13, 2020 7:35 pm

Work on the AN158 fleet is probably being carried out but at a very slow pace.

Only 1 IL96 in service CU-T1250. 1251 not flown for a good few months now and 1254 ?????

No sign of the TU204 that went to Russia either.

In the current climate, 1 wide body and a couple of ATRs is all they really need. Hopefully this break could give them time to catch up and get some of the fleet airworthy again.

knutnordlid
Topic Author

Wed May 13, 2020 9:00 pm

CU-T1251 last flew in the end of January this year. I guess it is through some local maintenance - the Il-96's have disappeared for a time before also and suddenly returned to service.
I have not seen any news or photos of CU-T1254 after she flew to Voronezh for maintenance about a year ago, so it will be interesting to see what happens to this plane. Anybody out there that has heard that the plan is for this aircraft?
It is also exciting to see what happens to the three ex Domodedovo planes that was made airworthy after many years of storage outside and flown the sorry hip to to Zhukovski. There must be concrete plans for them after all this work to get them in the air!

Sent fra min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

dcajet

Wed May 13, 2020 9:09 pm

knutnordlid wrote:
CU-T1251 last flew in the end of January this year. I guess it is through some local maintenance - the Il-96's have disappeared for a time before also and suddenly returned to service.
I have not seen any news or photos of CU-T1254 after she flew to Voronezh for maintenance about a year ago, so it will be interesting to see what happens to this plane. Anybody out there that has heard that the plan is for this aircraft?
It is also exciting to see what happens to the three ex Domodedovo planes that was made airworthy after many years of storage outside and flown the sorry hip to to Zhukovski. There must be concrete plans for them after all this work to get them in the air!

I don't think CU-T1254 ever left HAV. There are pictures of her under the Cuban sun as late as October 2019. My understanding is that, after rotting away for years, it needs major work done on it to bring her back to an airworthy state before crossing the pond back to Russia for a major overhaul. I doubt the funds exist for such an expenditure.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B364GgZhgRp ... nzfhwyia25
Last edited by dcajet on Wed May 13, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afterburner33

Wed May 13, 2020 9:12 pm

What is the status of the airfield at the Voronezh factory? Wasn't it closed for long term work/rebuilding? It certainly looks that way on Google Maps, but those images could obviously be out of date.

eamondzhang

Thu May 14, 2020 12:26 am

tofen wrote:

It went to PVG to pick up medical supplies. VKO was used as a stopover point.

Here's a pic of the bird @ PVG:

Michael
Last edited by eamondzhang on Thu May 14, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcajet

Thu May 14, 2020 1:29 am

eamondzhang wrote:
tofen wrote:

Michael

They took the long way to China... Wondering why they would not go via Canada? Probably a logistics issue, in case there was any issue with the IL-96? Rather be in/over Russia if it goes tech.

eamondzhang

Thu May 14, 2020 2:06 am

dcajet wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
tofen wrote:

Michael

They took the long way to China... Wondering why they would not go via Canada? Probably a logistics issue, in case there was any issue with the IL-96? Rather be in/over Russia if it goes tech.

Don't think they'll be allowed to overfly USA? And even if they do, as you mentioned the support given in Russia is probably better than Western countries due to the uniqueness of the plane.

Michael

dcajet

Thu May 14, 2020 3:19 am

eamondzhang wrote:
dcajet wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

Michael

Don't think they'll be allowed to overfly USA? And even if they do, as you mentioned the support given in Russia is probably better than Western countries due to the uniqueness of the plane.

Michael

I don't think overflying rights are an issue: just think of the number of US airlines' flights to/from South America that overfly Cuba every day; and then there are the US to Cuba flights, which used to be a handful every day before the pandemic.

afterburner33

Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 am

Good catch.

It looks like they would have had to make a fuel stop going in either direction, and I'm guessing that arranging a stop in Moscow was a lot easier than one in, say, YVR or ANC (rather unlikely).

mark1484

Thu May 14, 2020 11:37 am

dcajet wrote:
knutnordlid wrote:

I don't think CU-T1254 ever left HAV. There are pictures of her under the Cuban sun as late as October 2019. My understanding is that, after rotting away for years, it needs major work done on it to bring her back to an airworthy state before crossing the pond back to Russia for a major overhaul. I doubt the funds exist for such an expenditure.

I think it had a test flight and I agree that it's not left HAV yet.

afterburner33

Fri May 15, 2020 6:40 am

Looks like after its jaunt to China, CU-T1250 is currently flying HAV-MAD. It's been a while since it's flown this route.

knutnordlid
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2020 6:43 am

mark1484 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
knutnordlid wrote:

OK, then I remember wrong. May be it was just said that it was supposed to leave for Russia. Isn't it strange that they do so much to get her in the air and then nothing more happens!?

mark1484

Fri May 15, 2020 11:47 am

knutnordlid wrote:
mark1484 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

OK, then I remember wrong. May be it was just said that it was supposed to leave for Russia. Isn't it strange that they do so much to get her in the air and then nothing more happens!?

Typical Cubana!

Phosphorus

Fri May 15, 2020 12:01 pm

dcajet wrote:
SR380 wrote:
Hey guys,

“multiple and repeating failures have been found in complex systems, built by mechanical, hydraulic and electrical components, as well as computer performance algorithms,” as well as “evidence of design and manufacturing flaws, serious issues in flight control system, cracks in the structure and engine temperature increase above normal parameters.”

I seem to recall reading that an agreement has since been signed with either Russia or what remains of Antonov back in Ukraine to get the fleet to an airworthy condition again and that some work was being carried in HAV.

Cubana was candid alright. They just forgot to mention that they got the airplanes in a complex barter deal (read: for no money) from Russia, and after Russian invasion of Ukraine in 2014, Russians failed to keep the flow of (free) spare parts active. Running a fleet with no spare parts, expired airworthiness paperwork, and no OEM support is indeed complicated (and not necessarily safe), and grounding was a good idea. Even better idea was, as you mentioned, to pick up the phone and call the actual OEM, i.e Antonov. And hallelujah, somebody actually did it last year!

OEM and Cuba found understanding, hands were shaken, and apparently, some money even changed hands, to buy spare parts, get technicians to spend time on the frames, and get the fleet into the air again:
https://antonov.com/en/article/cubana_de_aviacion_news
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

SR380

Fri May 15, 2020 5:41 pm

Phosphorus wrote:
dcajet wrote:
SR380 wrote:
Hey guys,

Cubana was candid alright. They just forgot to mention that they got the airplanes in a complex barter deal (read: for no money) from Russia, and after Russian invasion of Ukraine in 2014, Russians failed to keep the flow of (free) spare parts active. Running a fleet with no spare parts, expired airworthiness paperwork, and no OEM support is indeed complicated (and not necessarily safe), and grounding was a good idea. Even better idea was, as you mentioned, to pick up the phone and call the actual OEM, i.e Antonov. And hallelujah, somebody actually did it last year!

OEM and Cuba found understanding, hands were shaken, and apparently, some money even changed hands, to buy spare parts, get technicians to spend time on the frames, and get the fleet into the air again:

Thanks for all that information

Wayfarer515

Sat May 16, 2020 8:18 am

Phosphorus wrote:
dcajet wrote:
SR380 wrote:
Hey guys,

Free or not, the An-158 does have severe cracks in the fuselage, and there is no easy fix for that. Now that Antonov is trying to cozy up to Boeing Cubana can forget of ever getting parts from Ukraine.

SR380

Sat May 16, 2020 9:13 am

Wayfarer515 wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Free or not, the An-158 does have severe cracks in the fuselage, and there is no easy fix for that. Now that Antonov is trying to cozy up to Boeing Cubana can forget of ever getting parts from Ukraine.

Wasn't the An-148 built also in Russia? Isn't some way the MRO can be done through Russia?

Phosphorus

Sat May 16, 2020 11:48 am

SR380 wrote:
Wayfarer515 wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:

Wasn't the An-148 built also in Russia? Isn't some way the MRO can be done through Russia?

1) An-148 was built as well in Russia. True. But An-158 wasn't
2) MRO might be possible, if there is a certified shop in Russia, with An-158 paperwork in order. Is there any?
3) Airworthiness paperwork has expired. Type Certificate holder (or someone, entrusted with relevant authority by TC holder) has to extend it, I would gather.

All of that notwithstanding, of course, Russia can always try to pull another "Volga-Dnepr An-124 airworthiness extension" stunt, and create a "local authority", and "vest" it with the "rights" to IP (that they don't own). Wouldn't be surprising, at all.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

TUGMASTER

Sat May 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Now that there is sooooo many spare frames around the world looking for a home...
Old 319’s 146’s et al, surely some can make there way to Havana...?

I know I know that you’ll say embargoes etc,
But if Iran can fiddle the market place, I’m sure Cuba could too, which seems a little more pally with the West than Our Persian cousins...?

dcajet

Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
Now that there is sooooo many spare frames around the world looking for a home...
Old 319’s 146’s et al, surely some can make there way to Havana...?

I know I know that you’ll say embargoes etc,
But if Iran can fiddle the market place, I’m sure Cuba could too, which seems a little more pally with the West than Our Persian cousins...?

Iran has oil $ and a much more sophisticated economy. They can go about and obtain planes in many ways, some of them illegal, Cuba is broke, 60 years of communism have taken her back to the middle age as far as the economy is concerned and survives on the basics, with hand me downs from the likes of China, Vietnam, Russia and Venezuelan oil. They don't have the money for planes and Cubana has long ago ceased being an object of prestige for the regime and no longer first in line for the few dollars Cuba has to its name.

mark1484

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:07 pm

The future of Cubana IL96’s could be in doubt according to an recent article in Cibercuba.

dcajet

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:35 pm

mark1484 wrote:
The future of Cubana IL96’s could be in doubt according to an recent article in Cibercuba.

https://www.cibercuba.com/noticias/2020 ... nos-airbus

nicode

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:21 pm

I'm glad I flew CU's IL96 between ORY and SCU and HAV-ORY in June 2016 (CU-T1251 to Cuba and CU-T1250 back to France).

Both flights were on time ! :shock:

mark1484

Re: Cubana Il-96 - News and Discussion Thread

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:53 am

CU-T1251 has not flown since January, does anybody have any updates on it?
CU-T1251 still in service.
CU-T1254 still waiting for maintenance??

dcajet

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:30 am

mark1484 wrote:

Cubana has not flown any regularly scheduled international trips since March. One of the (if not the) last flights was a HAV-EZE-HAV rotation. CU-T1254 needs to go to Russia for heavy maintenance; with the present crisis I doubt there are any funds available to be allocated to such an expenditure. Unless Russia cuts Cuba some sort of deal which is always a possibility.

Luxair747SP

Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:51 am

dcajet wrote:
mark1484 wrote:

Cubana has not flown any regularly scheduled international trips since March. One of the (if not the) last flights was a HAV-EZE-HAV rotation. CU-T1254 needs to go to Russia for heavy maintenance; with the present crisis I doubt there are any funds available to be allocated to such an expenditure. Unless Russia cuts Cuba some sort of deal which is always a possibility.

I passed by VKO the other day and there is one of CU IL96 on the apron. Unfortunately too far to make out the registration.

dcajet

Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:36 am

Luxair747SP wrote:
dcajet wrote:
mark1484 wrote:

I passed by VKO the other day and there is one of CU IL96 on the apron. Unfortunately too far to make out the registration.

Over the past few months. there has been at least one flight to Vnukovo to pick up medical supplies and other humanitarian aid.

knutnordlid
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:47 am

Luxair747SP wrote:
dcajet wrote:
mark1484 wrote:

I saw on flightradar some days ago that CU-T1250 was on it's way too Moscow!

knutnordlid
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:33 am

....and just now I see that it is over Canada on it's way back to Havana!