Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EK413
Topic Author

Air China passenger plane 'nearly crashes into mountain HKG

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:33 am

Just read a report of an Air China flight failing to understand instructions from ATC resulting in pilot taking a wrong turn.

Air China passenger plane 'nearly crashes into a Hong Kong mountain after pilot fails to understand instructions and takes a WRONG turn'

An Air China plane yesterday narrowly missed flying into a mountain in Hong Kong after the pilot allegedly made a wrong turn, according to Chinese media.

It's reported that the pilot had failed to understand the instructions from an air traffic controller and veered towards the mountain minutes after the takeoff.

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ntain.html

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

rj777

Re: Air China passenger plane 'nearly crashes into mountain HKG

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:46 am

WOW! That could've been a very serious incident!

itisi

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:57 am

Just to clarify, he would have cleared the hill even if he did not change direction after instructions (not by much) but did NOT follow the flight path.
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

zkojq

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Reminds me a bit of this incident last year:

http://avherald.com/h?article=49a600d8&opt=0
First to fly the 787-9

zeke

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:01 pm

That would be twice in the past year a mainland Chinese airline has had a close encounter with Lantau Island.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

zeke

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:06 pm

itisi wrote:
Just to clarify, he would have cleared the hill even if he did not change direction after instructions (not by much) but did NOT follow the flight path.

How do you know ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

blackbox67

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:08 pm

whan I see the ADSB-altitude indication, I would suggest he's been pretty much clear of any terrain ahead.
btw: the EVA Air 777 rumbling above Mt.Wilson in December was much closer

maortega15

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:10 pm

zeke wrote:
That would be twice in the past year a mainland Chinese airline has had a close encounter with Lantau Island.

I assume a language barrier?

If so, kinda reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFv48IWhJw
Last edited by maortega15 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisKen

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:13 pm

The incident did not trigger a terrain warning or any safety issues, according to Air China.

If true, they were clearing the top of the hill.

zeke

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:39 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
The incident did not trigger a terrain warning or any safety issues, according to Air China.

It certainly is a safety issue not following ATC instructions, it could have been a hill or another aircraft. ATC did issue a terrain alert, and the carefully crafted statement does not say they did not receive a "terrain caution", i.e. "Terrain ahead", terrain warning would be "whoop whoop pull up"

EK413
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:43 pm

zeke wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:

It certainly is a safety issue not following ATC instructions, it could have been a hill or another aircraft.

Exactly, regardless of the aircraft clearing the hill I really don't understand how anyone could try defend such an error.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

gia777

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:31 pm

I thought this kind of accident is a bit impossible now with all of these high tech technology. The terrain warning system will give notice to the pilot and the pilot will safely react ? I assume this is how it works regardless ATC sending wrong instruction. TCAS will also prevent plane to hit each other.
Cheers,

GIA777 :coffee:

zeke

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:10 pm

gia777 wrote:
I thought this kind of accident is a bit impossible now with all of these high tech technology. The terrain warning system will give notice to the pilot and the pilot will safely react ? I assume this is how it works regardless ATC sending wrong instruction. TCAS will also prevent plane to hit each other.

Nothing is impossible, the time they give your for a terrain warning is not that great. https://youtu.be/oWjCi1o-WfI

Just remember this crew turned towards the terrain that they would have see straight ahead of them as they lined up on 25L before departure.

Varsity1

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:32 pm

gia777 wrote:

Chinese airline pilots - Anything can happen.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

BoeingGuy

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:42 pm

ChrisKen wrote:

Actually that's not correct. The Look-Ahead Terrain function would have detected they would clear the hill and not given an alert as long as they were clearing it by a certain amount, but the Mode 2 GPWS function could give a TERRAIN and then PULL UP time critical warning if it sees decreasing radio altitude within a certain threshold. Also, if they were clearing the hill by less than something like ~600 feet even the Look-Ahead Terrain feature would give a PULL UP alert too.

EDIT: Okay, I see I was saying the opposite of what you were saying. It's true that if you don't get an alert you are clearing the hill. It's not necessarily true that if you are clearing the hill, you won't get an alert though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos