Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sldispatcher
Topic Author

UA rebanking of IAH - fully loaded or just a skeleton?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:23 pm

I've noticed some changes in flight in Houston with the pending rebanking for the Fall. Some of them are creating 3 hour layovers for smaller markets.

I would think it might be July before it is solidified? Or do you think that it is what it is now? Because if it is, this is reminiscent of the disaster of a schedule that Delta did for us to DFW before they killed the hub.

My particular example is SHV for those looking for specifics.

LAXintl

Re: UA rebanking of IAH - fully loaded or just a skeleton?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Yes IAH will go down from 10 to 8 banks. Banks will be larger and not be as east-to-west focused, but more omni-directional.

With adjustment, potential connectivity combinations is supposed to rise from about 2,500 to 3,800 at IAH.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

sldispatcher
Topic Author

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Yes, I know they are rebanking. The question is whether or not the schedules are fully loaded or just the initial framework is in place.

AVENSAB727

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:39 pm

I also heard that this rebanking will give them the platform to grow out of IAH too.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

mmahpeel

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm

sldispatcher wrote:
Yes, I know they are rebanking. The question is whether or not the schedules are fully loaded or just the initial framework is in place.

It looks to me like the September schedule is not the final, probably not for another month or so.

AMERICAN757

Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:57 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:
I also heard that this rebanking will give them the platform to grow out of IAH too.

I am curious to see UA and Scott Kirbys plans for growing out of IAH as they rebank. I'm not sure how people feel about IAH as a huge connecting hub but from my amateur opinion it appears the airport might be slightly underutilized. To me going through IAH depending on the direction of travel does not seem out of the way at all compared to DFW.

jetblastdubai

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:18 am

AVENSAB727 wrote:

Now that the new C concourse is open again, didn't UA just re-gain access to 10-12 gates? That could really provide some space to grow.

https://www.united.com/web/format/img/t ... map-01.png

B737900ER

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:32 am

[twoid][/twoid]
jetblastdubai wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:

Now that the new C concourse is open again, didn't UA just re-gain access to 10-12 gates? That could really provide some space to grow.

https://www.united.com/web/format/img/t ... map-01.png

They shut down the old C north. Which resulted in a loss of 10 gates.

sldispatcher
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:34 am

I'm sure there is some sort of ripple effect throughout the system with crews and aircraft availability. Not an easy task.

TWA772LR

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:38 am

AMERICAN757 wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:

I am curious to see UA and Scott Kirbys plans for growing out of IAH as they rebank. I'm not sure how people feel about IAH as a huge connecting hub but from my amateur opinion it appears the airport might be slightly underutilized. To me going through IAH depending on the direction of travel does not seem out of the way at all compared to DFW.

IAH is nowhere near the level of service it had before the merger, so yes the airport is underutilized. In fact. the only part that is over utilized is terminal D.

I can't wait to see what Kirby has in store for IAH. If it really comes out to 1,300 more connection opportunities like LAXIntl says, that will give IAH a serious growth potential. With the new omni-directional banks, I wonder what this means for growth and connection possibilities in Latin America in general because the only places South of IAH are LRD, HRL, MFE, BRO and CRP. Unfortunately, IAH is too far South to be a huge East-West connecting hub. The omni-directional set up makes a lot of sense.

Now that UA has got it's balls back and is being more aggressive, the future for IAH seems a little brighter now. I'm being cautiously optimistic.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Okcflyer

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:25 am

UA currently runs a massive fleet of E175's and E145's out of IAH. Loosing two banks means some routes will need to upgauge to handle the capacity. There are many cities 0.5-2million people that UA primiliarly serves through IAH (minus some token service to DEN and ORD and maybe a couple O/D commuters). Not sure UA has the fleet slack to handle upgauging very many of these flights in the near term.

None the less, IAH is a very good airport and I look forward to the changes. It's easily my most visited hub.

AMERICAN757

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:13 am

Okcflyer wrote:
UA currently runs a massive fleet of E175's and E145's out of IAH. Loosing two banks means some routes will need to upgauge to handle the capacity. There are many cities 0.5-2million people that UA primiliarly serves through IAH (minus some token service to DEN and ORD and maybe a couple O/D commuters). Not sure UA has the fleet slack to handle upgauging very many of these flights in the near term.

None the less, IAH is a very good airport and I look forward to the changes. It's easily my most visited hub.

I am so very grateful for all of those E175s vs the E145s I spent so much time on when I first moved to Texas in 2014. I've gone out of B north a few times in the past week and those banjos have got to go. I know it wont happen but I'd love to see them reprioritize B North redo.

My biggest drawback when repositioned myself to Houston is my clients started giving me shorter hops in the region surrounding TX vs the cross country stuff! Missing those AA MD80s out of ORD every week.

LAXintl

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:22 am

Per Kirby townhall, the initial goal of the rebanking is not for growth at IAH, but to provide a higher portion of what he sees is more profitable connection flow and reduce reliance on local enplanements which continues to be down due energy sector.

While he does see potential of growth and who knows maybe one day returning to 700'ish daily departures, this can only be achieved by creating foundation of a stronger network effect in connection a hub, where the more spokes per bank help lift the performance of all flights in that bank.

Going omni-bank will allow some markets - the examples he used were SAP and MSY which today are focused primarily for a single direction connection flow, to be connected to more potential markets, helping their performance and performance in connecting flights.

msycajun

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:28 am

LAXintl wrote:
Going omni-bank will allow some markets - the examples he used were SAP and MSY which today are focused primarily for a single direction connection flow, to be connected to more potential markets, helping their performance and performance in connecting flights.

Is this online somewhere? I'm curious as to what difference it would make for MSY, since he used it as an example. With 10+ departures to IAH per day, it would seem that MSY is already plugged into all of the banks. Seems like it would make a bigger difference for markets that only have a few flights per day.

AMERICAN757

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:37 am

Does the reduction in banks mean we will see less flights at IAH or am I understanding that there will just be more flights crammed into the 8 banks?

AVENSAB727

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:46 am

[url][/url]
AMERICAN757 wrote:
Does the reduction in banks mean we will see less flights at IAH or am I understanding that there will just be more flights crammed into the 8 banks?

No, I think it will be more flights added into those 8 banks, LAXintl did say earlier that these banks will be larger.

LAXintl

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:00 am

It's the same 500ish flights into 8 banks instead of current 10 banks.

Ref MSY example he stated many of those flights are optimized for Western connectivity but not ideal if someone wanted to go East or North via IAH. SAP was similar mostly timed for Eastern connectivity but not Western.

With omni-banks UA can offer wider number flights options to be competitive schedule and price wise when competing against larger hubs like ATL and DFW.

Time​ will tell, but that's his theory....

sldispatcher
Topic Author

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:15 am

That may be his theory, but the pricing engine on United tends to mark up anything that connects via IAH westbound $50 to $100 higher per person as opposed to the single DEN flight we have. Plus, if the new flight times are any indication when looking ahead to Sept/Oct (and again, not sure those are set just yet), then connectivity took a nose dive to some markets with 3 hour connection times.

I'm pulling for them. The new terminal C in Houston is extremely nice. I love the ERJ-170/175's. Domestic First really has some quality and the smartphone app is the best out there in my humble opinion.

But there are those of us in markets where prices are exorbitantly high who have to live with 4 or fewer flights a day. Right now, looking at 530am , 930am, 130pm and 500pm outbound departure times later this year (IF the schedule is fixed). Hopefully, they will not forget us "little guys" who pay the big yields in all of this shuffling.

AMERICAN757

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:13 pm

LAXintl wrote:
It's the same 500ish flights into 8 banks instead of current 10 banks.

Ref MSY example he stated many of those flights are optimized for Western connectivity but not ideal if someone wanted to go East or North via IAH. SAP was similar mostly timed for Eastern connectivity but not Western.

With omni-banks UA can offer wider number flights options to be competitive schedule and price wise when competing against larger hubs like ATL and DFW.

Got it! I am looking forward to seeing better flight connectivity and scheduling options at IAH. Many times at the beginning of the year I was forced to fly AA due to a weak schedule offering from United on many flights going to PHX and TUS.

Rajahdhani

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:03 pm

Though only semi-related, and pardon my ignorance of the market as a whole - but how will this re-banking (and potentially re-construction of the IAH hub structure for UA) be affected by WN's plans for international expansion at HOU? Does WN's HOU base, and potential future structure/hub pose a significant threat to UA's at IAH? Understandably so, IAH has the benefit of impressive StarAlliance connectivity, and also UA's historic and mighty presence. That said, going forward (as the Houston economy improves), will the average Houston based passenger be offered greater choice (and potentially see WN rise in passengers/revenue), or does IAH have enough advantages that WN will not be that much of a threat, in many of the markets that they will share/compete?

UALFAson

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:21 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Ref MSY example he stated many of those flights are optimized for Western connectivity but not ideal if someone wanted to go East or North via IAH.

Not that it's *that* far to backtrack, but why would someone fly MSY-East Coast/Northeast via IAH vs. ATL, CLT, DCA, etc? Even Mileage Plus members would probably be better off flying through ORD or IAD. Biz travelers (like me) aren't going to waste ~2 hours doing that; a leisure traveler probably would for a lower fare, but why is UA chasing after lower-yield business?

Personally, I HATE this mega-rebanking that UA, AA, and others are doing. All it means is a bunch of flights leave at the exact same time, you wind up being #17 for takeoff (not hyperbole--what an AA Eagle pilot told us recently at CLT), and all that time you supposedly save waiting in the terminal you instead spend crammed into an airline seat waiting for takeoff.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

iahcsr

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:54 pm

UALFAson wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Ref MSY example he stated many of those flights are optimized for Western connectivity but not ideal if someone wanted to go East or North via IAH.

Not that it's *that* far to backtrack, but why would someone fly MSY-East Coast/Northeast via IAH vs. ATL, CLT, DCA, etc? Even Mileage Plus members would probably be better off flying through ORD or IAD. Biz travelers (like me) aren't going to waste ~2 hours doing that; a leisure traveler probably would for a lower fare, but why is UA chasing after lower-yield business?

Personally, I HATE this mega-rebanking that UA, AA, and others are doing. All it means is a bunch of flights leave at the exact same time, you wind up being #17 for takeoff (not hyperbole--what an AA Eagle pilot told us recently at CLT), and all that time you supposedly save waiting in the terminal you instead spend crammed into an airline seat waiting for takeoff.

Another concern; you cram more flights into a bank and suddenly you are out of gate space very quickly should just a few things go wrong. Landing and waiting 30-60 minutes for an open gate isn't too good a thing.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

AVENSAB727

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:17 pm

AMERICAN757

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:30 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:

This article says in 2018 we will experience the fruits of the new $277 New C North concourse. I wonder what else is coming, I thought it was fully completed at this point.

jetero

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:36 am

AMERICAN757 wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:

This article says in 2018 we will experience the fruits of the new $277 New C North concourse. I wonder what else is coming, I thought it was fully completed at this point.

It is fully completed.

AVENSA, what do you think has been announced?

AVENSAB727

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:06 am

jetero wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:
AVENSAB727 wrote:

It is fully completed.

They are officially announcing the rebanking of IAH, starting on October 29, here is another link, in case my previous link has a paywall.

https://hub.united.com/united-banking-h ... 53289.html

AMERICAN757

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:55 pm

I hope it unlocks some growth potential at IAH that will prompt them to speed up the replacement of those B North Banjos

jetero

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:32 pm

AVENSAB727 wrote:
jetero wrote:
AMERICAN757 wrote:

It is fully completed.

They are officially announcing the rebanking of IAH, starting on October 29, here is another link, in case my previous link has a paywall.

https://hub.united.com/united-banking-h ... 53289.html

All of this was announced ages ago.

izbtmnhd

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:35 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Per Kirby townhall, the initial goal of the rebanking is not for growth at IAH, but to provide a higher portion of what he sees is more profitable connection flow and reduce reliance on local enplanements which continues to be down due energy sector.

When I saw the re-bank announcement on FB if assumed this was being done because Houston's economy has slowed to a crawl. It's nice to see them being proactive as opposed to waiting for the energy sector to bounce back.

LAXintl

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Kirby had the following to say at pilot townhall last week:

Q. What’s the future of the IAH hub?
A. We have a ton of opportunity across the system, but especially in our mid-continent hubs. The IAH-SYD announcement is a huge opportunity to leverage location of Houston. We have room for improvement with increasing connectivity through IAH, and the big key to this will be the re-banking effort that will make us less dependent on local enplanements to support the operation.

drerx7

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:05 am

What other destinations could they add based on 'leveraging' IAH's position? There aren't many holes in the route network.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

jetero

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:22 am

drerx7 wrote:
What other destinations could they add based on 'leveraging' IAH's position? There aren't many holes in the route network.

Domestically there sure are, especially in the natural catchment area.

But it's as much about capacity as it is about new destinations. Not sure I understand this whole focus on connecting passengers, as if the schedules today to many destinations work particularly well for O&D travelers. Not sure how it could get much worse.

B737900ER

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:25 am

izbtmnhd wrote:
When I saw the re-bank announcement on FB if assumed this was being done because Houston's economy has slowed to a crawl. It's nice to see them being proactive as opposed to waiting for the energy sector to bounce back.

Economy has slowed to a crawl? Someone forgot to tell the housing market

AVENSAB727

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:32 am

I am curious if the UA IAH-SYD announcement could be an indicator that maybe the rebanking is already showing benefits for IAH, I know that it is too early to tell, but I see this addition as a good sign.

LAXdude1023

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:43 am

drerx7 wrote:

Internationally yes, domestically no. We have room there.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

COflyerBOS

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:56 am

There are a TON of holes in the market especially if they're looking for connections.

Texas- Abilene, Waco, Beaumont, Del Rio, Longview, Tyler, Texarkana, Wichita Falls and San Angelo

Mexico- Culiacan, Hermosillo, Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mazatlan, Torreon, Ciudad del Carmen, Durango, Zacatecas, Campeche, Ciudad Obregon, and Toluca

SOUTH- Greensboro, Montgomery, Tallahassee, Chattanooga, Ft Smith, and Sarasota

WEST- Kahului, Ontario, Roswell, Santa Fe, Santa Barbara, San Jose, Bakersfield, Fresno, and Grand Junction

MIDWEST- Lawton, Madison, Peoria, Cedar Rapids, Dayton, and Fort Wayne

INT'L- Paris, PARIS, Paris, Guayaquil, Cali, Medellin

AMERICAN757

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 pm

I hope a few more international routes are announced, this could facilitate the expansion to other domestic markets for feed.

I'm trying to be optimistic that Houston has a good shot at landing Amazon. I think the outlook for that is bleak but if Houston did get their 2nd headquarters how do we think it might impact IAH?

jetero

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:17 pm

AMERICAN757 wrote:
I hope a few more international routes are announced, this could facilitate the expansion to other domestic markets for feed.

The growth opportunities IAH has is as a domestic hub. Domestic connections are down probably 20% from their peak, if not more.

AMERICAN757 wrote:
I'm trying to be optimistic that Houston has a good shot at landing Amazon. I think the outlook for that is bleak but if Houston did get their 2nd headquarters how do we think it might impact IAH?

It'll be a positive? More flights to Seattle? What more can you say, really? (And that goes for any airport.)

Rdh3e

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:35 pm

COflyerBOS wrote:
There are a TON of holes in the market especially if they're looking for connections.

You're just listing destinations they don't fly. If it's not economically feasible, it's not really a "hole".

jetero

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
COflyerBOS wrote:

You're just listing destinations they don't fly. If it's not economically feasible, it's not really a "hole".

If the business model is supposed to be built around connections, 75% of that list is indeed fair game.

COflyerBOS

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Most of the cities I listed were once served by Continental from IAH. They were cut for various reasons (move to all jets, oil slump, high oil prices, 9-11, merger with United) but none are wildly out of line.

It's not like I listed Hong Kong, Perth, Shenzhen, Seoul, Manila, Tel Aviv, Prague, Brasilia, Maracaibo, Bangor, and St Kitts.

LAXintl

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:10 pm

United will initially be gate limited at IAH since it will essentially be offering the same number of total flights but across two less hub banks, meaning each bank will have more flights.

Once gating, and facility improvements(such as better baggage transfer system) are in place, there certainly will be greater opportunity to further grow number of destination markets from IAH and hopefully create a virtuous cycle of additional feed helping support ever more new spokes.

LAXdude1023

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:22 pm

COflyerBOS wrote:
Most of the cities I listed were once served by Continental from IAH. They were cut for various reasons (move to all jets, oil slump, high oil prices, 9-11, merger with United) but none are wildly out of line.

It's not like I listed Hong Kong, Perth, Shenzhen, Seoul, Manila, Tel Aviv, Prague, Brasilia, Maracaibo, Bangor, and St Kitts.

Based on what you wrote, my honest opinion would be:

Actual Holes in the Network:
GSO
TRC
ZCL
MSN
CID
DAY
TUX
ONT
GJT
GYE
CLO
CDG
BFL

Routes that would be good ONLY if UA partners with a turbo prop operator:
ACT
DRT
TYR
VCT

The rest arent actual holes though. I hate the fact that UA didnt keep what CO had in Mexico to the level it did, but if it wasnt profitable then I cant blame them.

CIDFlyer

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:26 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
COflyerBOS wrote:

GSO
TRC
ZCL
MSN
CID
DAY
TUX
ONT
GJT
GYE
CLO
CDG
BFL

ACT
DRT
TYR
VCT

The rest arent actual holes though. I hate the fact that UA didnt keep what CO had in Mexico to the level it did, but if it wasnt profitable then I cant blame them.

I would love to see CID comeback. We did have flights a few years ago. It seems though that DFW works so much better capturing that midwest-Texas-and beyond traffic than IAH does which is somewhat surprising.

LAXdude1023

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:38 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
COflyerBOS wrote:

GSO
TRC
ZCL
MSN
CID
DAY
TUX
ONT
GJT
GYE
CLO
CDG
BFL

ACT
DRT
TYR
VCT

I would love to see CID comeback. We did have flights a few years ago. It seems though that DFW works so much better capturing that midwest-Texas-and beyond traffic than IAH does which is somewhat surprising.

Not surprising at all. In addition to DFW's better geographic location to the Midwest, DFW is also a MUCH larger domestic O&D market than Houston. Plus DFW-CID is full of high yielding Rockwell Collins people.

AMERICAN757

New IAH schedule in effect today!

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello,

Now that the new IAH schedule is in place for UA , what time frame do the main arrival and departure banks take place? What future effects can we see the new structure of the banks having on IAH?

AVENSAB727

Re: New IAH schedule in effect today!

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:55 pm

I think the new IAH-SYD flights are one of the effects of it. I think the rebanking efforts will benefit IAH.

wxtech

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:24 pm

It was interesting today @IAH. The "peaks" seemed higher volume than before. I wish flightaware had the old atc graph for operations per hour. It would have been interesting to see.

portcolumbus

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm

wxtech wrote:
It was interesting today @IAH. The "peaks" seemed higher volume than before. I wish flightaware had the old atc graph for operations per hour. It would have been interesting to see.

Well it went from 10 banks to 8, so that should be the case.

wxtech

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:52 pm

portcolumbus wrote:
wxtech wrote:

Well it went from 10 banks to 8, so that should be the case.

What can I say? I'm observant. :lol:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos