BelAviaFan
Topic Author

Ryanair pax forgets to print his boarding card, has to pay 50€ and starts ranting the gate agent (and filming)

Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:58 pm

A Ryanair passenger who was checked in but didn’t print his boarding pass was denied boarding at gate A32 at Brussels Airport and was forced to pay 50€ to Ryanair (via the Aviapartner gate agent). The passenger started ranting, shouting and … filming

http://www.luchtzak.be/airlines/ryanair ... -in-tears/
BelAviaFan: Belgian Aviation Fan

aemoreira1981

Re: Ryanair pax forgets to print his boarding card, has to pay 50€ and starts ranting the gate agent (and filming)

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:03 pm

What a maroon! That guy has only himself to blame.

FlyUSAir

Re: Ryanair pax forgets to print his boarding card, has to pay 50€ and starts ranting the gate agent (and filming)

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Revolting behavior. I'm glad other customers stepped in before back-up came.
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

ikramerica

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:08 pm

So Ryanair doesn't allow electronic boarding passes simply so they can charge $60 if you lose your printed one?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Woodreau

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 pm

They probably haven't invested in the IT infrastructure to allow electronic boarding passes.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

B747forever

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 pm

ikramerica wrote:
So Ryanair doesn't allow electronic boarding passes simply so they can charge $60 if you lose your printed one?

Nope, you got it wrong. If you have their app you can download the boarding pass directly to your phone.
Work Hard, Fly Right

moo

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:26 pm

I've seen this type of person lots of times, and even had the misfortune of working with one - the mistake is on his side, but if he creates enough fuss and enough bluster, demand enough escalation, he can get out of it.

I worked for someone whose approach to *anything* was to bully the first person he interacted with (on the phone, in person) into making a mistake (perceived or real - often it boiled down to "I don't like your attitude and I don't like the way you are talking to me") onto which he can pounce, demanding to be passed to a supervisor so he can make a complaint. Every single time. Nothing more than a bully. He was the reason I walked from that job.

This guy reminds me of him, 100%. The only reason I know it isn't him is because of the accent.

AWACSooner

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Nope...not even close to sympathizing with him on this one. As much as FR can be frustrating with all the ancillaries, this one is pretty spelled out on their booking site. Print out your damn boarding pass or be prepared to pay.

rebr

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Even if this guy would be right he'd still be a moron imo. Really good to see the other passengers intervened.

Aptivaboy

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:15 pm

This guy is an idiot. I am so glad that the other passengers stepped in to take the employee's side. From his accent, he sounds American. As an American, I am ashamed at his conduct. I hope he winds up banned in some way. Seriously, he needs to disciplined in some way apart from not being allowed on that particular airliner. What a piece of garbage, and yes, that's the way to describe him - an uncouth, ill-disciplined, rude, self-entitled piece of smelly garbage.

I reported the video to YouTube for bullying

I'm not sure what that will accomplish. Comments for that video are now turned off, if they were ever on in the first place, so the public has now lost the opportunity to tell this idiot to his face (well, over the keyboard) what a dirtbag he is.

Scorpio

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:35 pm

777PHX wrote:
The racism really isn't necessary here.

Actually, the racist door here was opened by this asshole passenger. He posted this video on YT with the title "Racially Charged Ryan Air Check-In at Brussels Airport" and the description "Is it because I am "black"? Mob tendencies by Europeans against dark skinned foreigners, especially so called "blacks" are alive and well as evidenced by this video."

According to the Daily Mail, the same guy uploaded a video back in September in which he accused German police of racism because they tried to remove him for busking on the street. So it appears he actually is one of those people who pulls the race card whenever it's convenient to him.

777PHX

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Scorpio wrote:
777PHX wrote:
The racism really isn't necessary here.

Actually, the racist door here was opened by this asshole passenger. He posted this video on YT with the title "Racially Charged Ryan Air Check-In at Brussels Airport" and the description "Is it because I am "black"? Mob tendencies by Europeans against dark skinned foreigners, especially so called "blacks" are alive and well as evidenced by this video."

According to the Daily Mail, the same guy uploaded a video back in September in which he accused German police of racism because they tried to remove him for busking on the street. So it appears he actually is one of those people who pulls the race card whenever it's convenient to him.

That's all irrelevant in the scope of comment I quoted on here and that doesn't excuse his comment.

I see plenty of dumb entitled white people here in the country every day. His skin color has nothing to do with the video. Don't indulge him by engaging in a dialogue on it.

Scorpio

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:09 pm

777PHX wrote:
That's all irrelevant in the scope of comment I quoted on here and that doesn't excuse his comment.

It most certainly does, as the way I read his comment is that he was referring to the few people who have the attitude displayed by this passenger, i.e. the few who DO like to play that card, and not to black people in general.

I see plenty of dumb entitled white people here in the country every day. His skin color has nothing to do with the video. Don't indulge him by engaging in a dialogue on it.

I'll be the one who determines what I do and don't react to on here if it's all the same to you...

777PHX

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Scorpio wrote:
I'll be the one who determines what I do and don't react to on here if it's all the same to you...

That's fine, and you'll also be responsible for giving these people a soapbox to stand on by dignifying them with a response. I'll also feel free to criticize you for it too, if it's all the same to you.

At any rate, giving you the benefit of the doubt, your logic is still specious. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Last edited by 777PHX on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Ok, that was way worse than i thought it was going to be when I watched it. HORRIBLE. If he were banned for a year, it wouldn't be long enough.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Lemieux

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Here's what I want to know, how did he get through screening without a boarding pass? Also I see that it says he paid 50 for it, but would that have been at the gate?
Last edited by Lemieux on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/20NEO/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/737/738/752/753/762/763/772/773/788/789, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Lemieux wrote:
Here's what I want to know, how did he get through screening without a boarding pass?

He was connecting, but since I believe Ryanair doesn't do connections, he probably had two separate itineraries with two separate boarding passes. He must've printed the first one but forgot to print the second one. I wonder if he could have just downloaded the app and got the boarding pass that way rather than stand there and berate people for following rules, being professional, being fat, losing their hair, etc?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

jnev3289

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Wow what a jerk... All that over 50 euros?

avi8tir

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm an american living in Europe and I love that people actually are telling this guy to shove it. In america, no one would step up to this in fear of being criticized. They'd just all be sitting their with their cameras out and posting it to facebook. One thing I love about Europe... these are the rules -- follow them -- we don't care about what ever issue you have.
*Long live the Widget*

ozglobal

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:12 pm

He's flying the hideous Ryanair because he's a cheapskate, ignoring the terms and conditions he signed up for in order to access such a tight-assed airfare and then goes mega entitled bourgeois, "I'm your paying customer, Sabrina! I'm paying your salary!" No he isn't. If he were, she would be starving on Ryanair ticket prices.

He obviously should have leased a private jet or have paid full service carrier Business Class with top tier status if he wants to feel so entitled. Even then, the attitude almost warrants a call for security.

What a low life fool.

I saw a well educated, middle class African American on the TGV Lyria from Paris to Zurich who argued for 90mins with both the French and Swiss customs who passed through the train, refusing to show his passport because he was convinced it was racial profiling! Complexed?
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

777PHX

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 pm

ozglobal wrote:
He's flying the hideous Ryanair because he's a cheapskate, ignoring the terms and conditions he signed up for in order to access such a tight-assed airfare and then goes mega entitled bourgeois, "I'm your paying customer, Sabrina! I'm paying your salary!" No he isn't. If he were, she would be starving on Ryanair ticket prices.

I flew Ryanair this past summer and I think they're a great airline, they do what they do very well. That being said, you have to follow their tight rules in order to avoid being charged out the ass. Ignorance of the rules is no defense. Print out the BP ahead of time or use the app. It's not rocket science.

PatrickZ80

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Obviously his own fault. Rules at Ryanair are very strict and if you don't comply with them that's your own problem. This has nothing to do with racism, any other person without a boarding pass would have faced the exact same fine.

SFOATLFlyer

Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:22 pm

avi8tir wrote:
I'm an american living in Europe and I love that people actually are telling this guy to shove it. In america, no one would step up to this in fear of being criticized. They'd just all be sitting their with their cameras out and posting it to facebook. One thing I love about Europe... these are the rules -- follow them -- we don't care about what ever issue you have.

No, not all Americans. I have personally seen a pax intervene when a gate agent was being berated.

Glad you like Europe. You're welcomed to stay there.

[email protected]

Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:39 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Lemieux wrote:
Here's what I want to know, how did he get through screening without a boarding pass?

He was connecting, but since I believe Ryanair doesn't do connections, he probably had two separate itineraries with two separate boarding passes. He must've printed the first one but forgot to print the second one. I wonder if he could have just downloaded the app and got the boarding pass that way rather than stand there and berate people for following rules, being professional, being fat, losing their hair, etc?

They do now have limited online connections through FCO.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:55 pm

SFOATLFlyer wrote:
avi8tir wrote:

No, not all Americans. I have personally seen a pax intervene when a gate agent was being berated.

Glad you like Europe. You're welcomed to stay there.

I know, right? Move across the ocean and throw us under the bus. I've seen plenty of times where people stand up for what's right and try to help with a situation. To be fair, situations like this just don't happen often in your everyday life.
-Dave

iamlucky13

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:44 pm

moo wrote:
777PHX wrote:
I don't know about Europe, but I can't wait until we get to a point here in the states where sticking a camera phone in someone's face and screaming at them is considered assault. You don't get to be a bully to someone and back that up by trying to leverage them with cell phone video. We need to establish a precedent where screaming at someone and berating them gets you nothing more than a jail cell.

In the UK there is already something this guy could have been charged with...

Section 4A or 5 of the Criminal Justice Act 1967 - disorderly behaviour in any public place within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress. Can get you up to 6 months in prison and a hefty fine.

I don't think it is covered nationally in the US, but most or perhaps all states also have disorderly conduct and harassment laws. Not that businesses often take advantage of that, though, because there's a fine line to walk between responding to badly behaved customers and creating a public relations nightmare.

Assault should, for hopefully obvious reasons, be treated legally as distinct from actions involving physical contact.

peterinlisbon

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:14 am

I once lost my boarding pass at Stanstead Airport and I considered ranting and raving at the gate and making a big fool of myself in front of 180 people, then uploading a video to Youtube to make myself look like an idiot in front of the whole world, but then I thought better of it and went to the business class lounge where they let me print another one for free.

strfyr51

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:32 am

I find it amazing that ANYBODY who is darker than White claims to be BLACK!! And when they act like Buttwipes !! Everybody assumes we who are Black?!?
Identify with them! Not Everybody Who Looks Black? Are Black! Many of these "Buttwipes" Even Black People Don't like.

coolian2

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:06 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
What a maroon! That guy has only himself to blame.

I assumed he'd have been red with anger.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

amax1977

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:06 am

Aptivaboy wrote:
This guy is an idiot. I am so glad that the other passengers stepped in to take the employee's side. From his accent, he sounds American. As an American, I am ashamed at his conduct. I hope he winds up banned in some way. Seriously, he needs to disciplined in some way apart from not being allowed on that particular airliner. What a piece of garbage, and yes, that's the way to describe him - an uncouth, ill-disciplined, rude, self-entitled piece of smelly garbage.

I reported the video to YouTube for bullying

I'm not sure what that will accomplish. Comments for that video are now turned off, if they were ever on in the first place, so the public has now lost the opportunity to tell this idiot to his face (well, over the keyboard) what a dirtbag he is.

I agree the guy is an idiot. But, his accent is nowhere close to American accent. He sounds like to be from Fart-istan!

coolian2

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:10 am

Incidentally, I flew NZ recently, lost my boarding pass post-security. Waited until another flight had finished boarding, asked the gate agent of the totally unrelated flight if she'd reprint it for me. Done. No questions asked (well apart from my details). Possible to be cheap and decent.

Of course when I emptied my pockets when I got to my destination I found the original.

ikramerica

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:44 am

B747forever wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

Nope, you got it wrong. If you have their app you can download the boarding pass directly to your phone.

I kind of wondered. So if you don't print at home and don't have a smart phone then you have to pay. Kind of sounds like a senior citizen tax fee to me...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

covert

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:46 am

coolian2 wrote:
Incidentally, I flew NZ recently,.

The difference being, Air NZ isn't an LCC.
none

coolian2

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:48 am

covert wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
Incidentally, I flew NZ recently,.

The difference being, Air NZ isn't an LCC.

Domestic in NZ they are.

geoshina

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:57 am

ikramerica wrote:
B747forever wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

I kind of wondered. So if you don't print at home and don't have a smart phone then you have to pay. Kind of sounds like a senior citizen tax fee to me...

But there's another question. Non european people always have to go to check-in and get their id verified
. Since I've always printed my tickets, I don't know how it works if you have your bp on the smartphone.

Andy33

Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:18 am

geoshina wrote:
But there's another question. Non european people always have to go to check-in and get their id verified
. Since I've always printed my tickets, I don't know how it works if you have your bp on the smartphone.

I think given the racial allegations that should read "non-European passport holders" to avoid confusion.
The answer is that non-European passport holders must have paper boarding passes, as the Ryanair Visa Check Desk agent actually stamps them. At some airports this is just a regular check-in desk, ones with lots of Ryanair flights may have a separate desk in the check-in area.
This is made clear during the booking and check-in process, and Ryanair also send emails to those it affects, but as always not everyone bothers to read what is in front of them.

BelAviaFan
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:37 am

If you accept the ‘terms & conditions of carriage’ you know you need to print your boarding pass and bring it to the airport.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-in ... conditions
BelAviaFan: Belgian Aviation Fan

dik909

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:56 am

B747forever wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

False. I flew Ryanair just three days ago, and despite having checked in on the mobile app they still wanted me to pay 15 Euros, (maybe she said fifty?), to give me a printed boarding pass. I protested, she relented. Was extremely put off by such a policy.

ikramerica wrote:

Agreed.

EK413

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 am

I agree the guy has taken it to far and should've read the terms and conditions but seriously €50 to print a boarding pass is beyond a joke.

Well that's why I avoid LCC.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

fallap

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:29 am

Poor Sabrina :(
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

BAeRJ100

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:39 am

EK413 wrote:
I agree the guy has taken it to far and should've read the terms and conditions but seriously €50 to print a boarding pass is beyond a joke.

I think an airline is within their rights to charge whatever they want providing the customer is informed at some point during booking. I don't have any sympathy for the guy as this information is available on their website.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

oldannyboy

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:42 am

Horrible stupid person. I hope he gets banned from FR. I feel for Sabrina.
Some individuals should not be given the great privilege of being issued with a passport that grants them international travel.

[email protected]

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:57 am

dik909 wrote:
B747forever wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

False. I flew Ryanair just three days ago, and despite having checked in on the mobile app they still wanted me to pay 15 Euros, (maybe she said fifty?), to give me a printed boarding pass. I protested, she relented. Was extremely put off by such a policy.

I have used a boarding pass on my mobile on a number of occasions.
ikramerica wrote:

Agreed.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

downtown273

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:19 am

dik909 wrote:
B747forever wrote:
ikramerica wrote:

ikramerica wrote:

Agreed.

It's very simple. If you check-in online (through their website, either via computer or mobile) it generates a PDF boarding pass. A PDF boarding pass is only valid for travel if it's printed!

If you check-in online via their app, you have to show the boarding pass in the app or your Apple Wallet / Apple Watch / equivalent.

The issue was that this man checked in online (via website) and was displaying his boarding pass in PDF on his phone - which is not valid for travel.

EK413

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:46 am

BAeRJ100 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

I think an airline is within their rights to charge whatever they want providing the customer is informed at some point during booking. I don't have any sympathy for the guy as this information is available on their website.

I don't agree with the way the guy behaved & treated the gate agent. The guy sounds like a total d#ck. Worth noting the guy has been ban from travelling on FR.

As for travelling LCC, personally I avoid them as they always have ridiculous fees (understand it's on the fine print but I bet no one reads it!) €50 to print a boarding pass which probably costs 0.05c that's extreme.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

tjcab

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:54 am

Wow, no matter the situation, I would never embarrass myself, or make act unprofessional in public, let alone an airport. Freaking a-hole, scum of society.I have never flown Ryanair, but even I know this rule. Inexcusable behavior, even if someone is in the right, this is no way to behave. Verbal bullying, and conduct should be grounds for denial of service, just like at many government agencies here.

Bricktop

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:16 pm

I'm not surprised this d-bag has so little self-awareness that he would post a video of himself behaving in such a fashion. He's the victim (sarcasm) and probably expected an outpouring of sympathy for his "plight". Sign of the times.

sciing

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:39 pm

BelAviaFan wrote:
If you accept the ‘terms & conditions of carriage’ you know you need to print your boarding pass and bring it to the airport.

Boarding card re-issue fee €15 / £15

Airport check-in fee €50 / £50

A Ryanair passenger who was checked in but didn’t print his boarding pass

So why was he charged for a check in and not just for a reprint of the boarding pass? Looks like some fails on both sides.

moo

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:51 pm

sciing wrote:
BelAviaFan wrote:

Boarding card re-issue fee €15 / £15

Airport check-in fee €50 / £50

A Ryanair passenger who was checked in but didn’t print his boarding pass

So why was he charged for a check in and not just for a reprint of the boarding pass? Looks like some fails on both sides.

You only have his side of the story, conveniently... and he still comes across as arrogant.

I don't see anywhere in the video where the Ryanair rep tells him its €50, just his ranting, so he could have made that up or misunderstood.

longhauler

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:11 pm

EK413 wrote:
As for travelling LCC, personally I avoid them as they always have ridiculous fees (understand it's on the fine print but I bet no one reads it!) €50 to print a boarding pass which probably costs 0.05c that's extreme.
EK413

I agree.

This is not an example of a la carte pricing, whereby customers can choose and pay for services they desire, avoiding the services they do not wish. This is exploitive, knowing you can not refute the charge as it is posted in advance ... but all the while hoping a few passengers each flight forget their boarding pass tipping the margin scales in their favour.

I can see them clapping their hands in glee ... "Ha! We caught another one".
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos