rookie00
Topic Author

Thomas Cook Canada

Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:49 pm

So I was looking through some old Wikipedia history of Canadian airports and noticed about 7 years ago in 2010 Thomas Cook used to fly around 7 Canadian cities.

How come the service stopped and will they return in the future? With Canada having such a close history with the UK I can see them being a strong competitor for trans-Atlantic travel.

sunshine79

Re: Thomas Cook Canada

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:29 pm

The flights would have been ski flights for Neilson when they part of the Thomas Cook Group.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

BrianDromey

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Thomas Cook Canada did exist for a single season. They used 757s from the UK operation, operated by Jazz, I believe.

klakzky123

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:32 pm

If you count Condor, then they still have a healthy presence. They fly to 5 cities in Canada.

cedarjet

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:37 pm

I remember flying them to YYZ twice, once from LGW and once from MAN; both 757-200.

Before that I remember seeing MyTravel A330s at YYZ in from the UK (and didn't MyTravel get folded into Thomas Cook?).

Plenty of recent history of UK charter carriers to Canada.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

User001

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Thomas Cook used to do a lot of flying for Canadian affair.

Ties were then cut and Canadian affair used Air Transat to fill the flights instead.

It was a shame, as Thomas Cook even reconfigured 2 B757-200 especially for Canadian flights with extra legroom at every seat (compared to their normal B757 config), but were then just put on the likes of Palma once the deal ended.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a MAN-YVR/YYZ in time with TCX, if they continue to expand the way they have, but, it won't be for a while in my opinion.

jamsco99

Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:17 pm

As said above they operated for canadian affair, i flew a few times between yul and lgw.

Good comfy seats with lots of leg room, better than Transat

planesarecool

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Yes, they did. But that's not what the OP is talking about. Thomas Cook Canada was operated by Jazz, who used six 757s leased from the UK arm during the Winter to take Canadians down to the Caribbean and Central America. They operated for two seasons, after which the deal was scrapped.

rookie00
Topic Author

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Sorry for the confusion with the title... What I meant was the Canadian Affair flights to the UK not the flights operated with Jazz.

planesarecool

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:27 pm

The Canadian Affair flights ended when Thomas Cook returned three A330s, which ended up transferring to Air Transat. Essentially TS took over the frequencies left by Thomas Cook (and Mytravel, before they merged).

Very unlikely that they would return, certainly not to the extent they operated before. The market is fairly saturated now with Westjet and Rouge on the scene.

YVRLTN

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:30 am

I cant quite remember all the details, so some of the following might not be 100%, but the flights were (and still are) operated for Canadian Affair a British travel agent. Presumably they put the flying out to tender and the flights were operated jointly by MyTravel & Air Transat. Actually, I remember even Monarch operated a few YYC-UK A330 rotations for a season or two maybe ~10 years ago.

IIRC, Transat Holidays then bought Canadian Affair and allowed MyTravel, which merged into Thomas Cook (TCX) in 2007 to continue to operate the flights, as they did not have the capacity themselves and at the time could not afford to take on more 330's (they did buy cheap 310's). On the Air Transat (TS) side, things were getting a bit tough going for them in their core sun markets (resulting in the collapse of Skyservice & ultimately Canjet, plus the rapid growth of Sunwing) and they decided they no longer wanted to share the UK flying with TCX and diversify by expanding on Europe flying. On the TCX side, conveniently for TS long haul was equally getting tough and unprofitable and they wanted to dispose of some of their 330's. The leases of frame primarily used on the Canadian Affair summer program were then transferred to TS, I imagine at very good prices, and they therefore took over the whole Canadian Affair program, I am going to say about 5-6 years ago.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Humberside

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Pre Fly Globespan starting Canada flights, Air Transat's main British partner was Globespan. I can't quite remember the timeline but was Transat buying Canadian Affair a reaction to the loss of Globespan as a UK partner?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos