Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ctnyc12

Re: Is EWR UA's Long-Term Answer for an East Coast Super-hub?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:42 am

voxkel wrote:
This is because for the majority of the NY metro area (i.e. east of the Hudson), JFK is going to be more convenient than EWR. Note also that NYC != Manhattan, especially when you see the various business centers of Stamford, New Haven, White Plains, Purchase, Garden City, LI City, etc. (EWR really only has Jersey City and Newark.) Additionally, LI is going to be much more densely populated than NJ. For example, 30 miles east of NYC is Levittown/Hicksville; west is Dover/Morristown. Hicksville is undoubtedly much more dense than Morris County. Additionally, both Queens and Brooklyn have higher density than even Hudson County NJ. IMO the Hudson River is the big barrier point, as any crossing will be a hellacious drive during the daytime. The bridges over the East River and LI Sound are not that bad.

It is pretty obvious that you do not know much about NJ due to your generalization about "business centers" in NJ being Newark and Jersey City. You make it sound like outside of Newark and Jersey City there isn't much of an economy in NJ. Northern and central NJ house several Fortune 100 companies, especially in big pharma, energy, FS and professional services. Because of this, there is a lot of high-yield traffic both from residents and corporate travellers. EWR also draws from the Lehigh Valley and probably splits traffic with JFK for Westchester County...

Also the "Hudson River is the big barrier point"... Have you ever tried taking the Queensboro bridge or Van Wyck at rush hour? It's just as much of a "hellacious" drive to get to JFK as it is to get to EWR - if not worse.

Not saying EWR is better than JFK, just saying EWR is convenient for more ppl and business travelers than you seem to think due to the large number of businesses in NJ outside of just the cities of Newark and JC and the drive from Manhattan to either airport being a complete crap shoot at any time of day.

whatThe

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:46 am

The thread inspired me to crunch some numbers to see how Newark compares to JFK in terms of how long it takes to reach the airport from different parts of New York City. The map below is color coded by which airport is quickest to reach with the darkness reflecting the advantage vs. the other airport.

I wish I had done this when I lived there as I would have flown out of Newark much more often, instead of only in the early morning or late evening. Surprisingly, Newark is actually competitive from parts of Brooklyn, though the cab fare to reach Newark will more expensive on account of the surcharge.

EA CO AS

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:00 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
EWR will never be ATL. Delta has the space, the geographical location, and ATL only has one airport. United can never replicate that at EWR too many reasons.

I'd argue, as was pointed out earlier, that ATL is the exception among hubs, not the rule. ATL is a one-off, cannot-be-replicated megahub that has no equal and likely never will, for many reasons, some of which you've already pointed out above. DL uses that one hub to accomplish what others might use two or three to do, and I don't think any other U.S. carrier would or even could try to put together a hub on the scale of ATL.

It's simply in a class by itself, and that's not necessarily always a good thing, either.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

EA CO AS

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:07 am

whatThe wrote:
The thread inspired me to crunch some numbers to see how Newark compares to JFK in terms of how long it takes to reach the airport from different parts of New York City. The map below is color coded by which airport is quickest to reach with the darkness reflecting the advantage vs. the other airport.

I wish I had done this when I lived there as I would have flown out of Newark much more often, instead of only in the early morning or late evening. Surprisingly, Newark is actually competitive from parts of Brooklyn, though the cab fare to reach Newark will more expensive on account of the surcharge.

I like the chart, but shouldn't a considerable part of this be green, indicating areas where LGA is superior to JFK or EWR? I'd like to see that broken down.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

whatThe

Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:08 am

EA CO AS wrote:
whatThe wrote:

I like the chart, but shouldn't a considerable part of this be green, indicating areas where LGA is superior to JFK or EWR? I'd like to see that broken down.

Indeed, if you include LGA a lot does turn to green, though a lot of Manhattan remains a wash for Newark (see below). The cost to get to LGA is considerably less than Newark though. There are too many iterations to post them all, but you can select your own criteria here if you want more specifics to time of day, etc...

ryanov

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:21 am

I'm surprised to hear all these people driving to and taking car services to these airports. I take transit almost 100% of the time. I also live in Newark, which makes EWR the preferred -- I can be past security there in 35 mins, including the bus ride. But I also prefer DL and so wind up at the other two airports often. Problem with LGA is that that traffic can foul up the buses. You can easily avoid traffic altogether going to JFK, Newark almost never has any real traffic between downtown and the airport and there's also a train option. All three airports are about a wash from midtown on transit (though EWR is theoretically 30 and the other two are theoretically 45), but LGA is the wildcard.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos