DeltaXNA
Topic Author

UA flies mainline from EWR-TYS. Why?

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Why is Knoxville's only UA mainline flight fly to EWR? Surprised ORD, DEN, or IAH do not have at least 1 mainline flight.

rssgvegas

Re: UA flies mainline from EWR-TYS. Why?

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:40 pm

UA started that this spring along with AVL and SAV. As to why, I cannot answer that.

TYSflyer

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:46 pm

They started mainline in these 3 cities shortly after Allegiant launched EWR flights from these 3 cities. I was clearly retaliatory. TYS has not had mainline since late 2001 on United. I thought it was interesting but didn't get much attention on here. I would be curious if anyone on here would know how United mainline is doing in these 3 cities. I noticed it goes from 737 to A320 in July and Aug in TYS and AVL.

FSDan

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
They started mainline in these 3 cities shortly after Allegiant launched EWR flights from these 3 cities. I was clearly retaliatory.

:checkmark:
Bingo! UA also added mainline to EWR-MYR with NK starting up service on that route.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

PEK777

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Yet they won't fly mainline to markets like MKE and MCI. SAD!

cosyr

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:10 pm

I don't ask why, I just thank the lord when UA ever flies a plane themselves!

GSPSPOT

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:09 am

PEK777 wrote:

At least UA has mainline from MKE to ORD and DEN.
Great Lakes, great life.

DfwAussie

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:35 am

G4 has a loyal base of pax at TYS. They draw as far away as Nashville for cheap flights to Florida, especially PGD. If they ever drop the EWR, I expect UA goes back to 50 seaters.

pandanko677

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:40 am

TYS-EWR went from 1x daily ERJ to

Daily 737 + E45 plus 3x weekly A320

Huge capacity increase.

Newbiepilot

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:57 am

pandanko677 wrote:

Huge capacity increase.

And surprisingly load factors aren't that bad although I assume fares are cheap.

klwright69

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:14 am

Interesting! It wasn't long ago that UA had dropped AVL from EWR. I am pretty sure of this.
UA has flown EWR-SAV forever.. But now mainline, that's impressive.
Great that competition has caused UA to up their game. More large planes please.

Taco2sDay

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:18 am

GSPSPOT wrote:
PEK777 wrote:

At least UA has mainline from MKE to ORD and DEN.

MKE-ORD: A whopping 67 mile flight filled with connecting passengers. Better than the drive on the Tri-State!

Italianflyer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:49 am

Since TYS and AVL are gateways to the Smokies, could the upgrade be tourist related? My airline upgraded BUF to 757s in the summer and even put Japanese LODs on flights that connected with NRT.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:48 am

klwright69 wrote:
Interesting! It wasn't long ago that UA had dropped AVL from EWR. I am pretty sure of this.

Technically, it was never dropped, but it has been seasonal. The route has been flown since 2001.

This is the first United mainline service to AVL since the days of the Capital Airlines merger with UA. AVL-EWR mainline is doing well, although I suspect if G4 ever dropped AVL-EWR it would go back to being an RJ in a heartbeat. Since February, the route has been served at times by either a 737 or an A320.

Keep in mind that in addition to the traffic going from the region to NYC, AVL is a very popular destination for New Yorkers. At one time in the not-so-distant past, UA, DL, and US were all serving NYC-AVL daily on regional jets. (DL still offers LGA-AVL 1x weekly summer seasonal on Saturdays.)

TYSflyer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
pandanko677 wrote:

Huge capacity increase.

And surprisingly load factors aren't that bad although I assume fares are cheap.

Yes, they have been selling Y fares for advanced purchase for $120 r/t. Pretty nice for the Knoxville market that consistently falls in the top 5 most expensive air fares in the country. Although, I do not know how long this is sustainable for United. I guess they'll keep it up until if/when Allegiant pulls the plug on the route.

kcrwflyer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:33 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
klwright69 wrote:

Technically, it was never dropped, but it has been seasonal. The route has been flown since 2001.

This is the first United mainline service to AVL since the days of the Capital Airlines merger with UA. AVL-EWR mainline is doing well, although I suspect if G4 ever dropped AVL-EWR it would go back to being an RJ in a heartbeat. Since February, the route has been served at times by either a 737 or an A320.

Keep in mind that in addition to the traffic going from the region to NYC, AVL is a very popular destination for New Yorkers. At one time in the not-so-distant past, UA, DL, and US were all serving NYC-AVL daily on regional jets. (DL still offers LGA-AVL 1x weekly summer seasonal on Saturdays.)

You said it's doing well, so I take it you know the fares and they are good?

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:00 pm

kcrwflyer wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
klwright69 wrote:

You said it's doing well, so I take it you know the fares and they are good?

I should have clarified, of course, that loads are good. (It was an early morning/late night when that was posted.)

kcrwflyer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:31 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
I should have clarified, of course, that loads are good. (It was an early morning/late night when that was posted.)

No worries. Good info all the same.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos