United Emergency Landing at TLH

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:46 pm

- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA

iahcsr

Re: United Emergency Landing at TLH

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:51 pm

N66897... one of the newest 739ERs... looks like another craft will be ferry in later tonight.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

BG777300ER

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Probably not relevant, but looks like they were busy dodging some weather before the diversion.

AA737-823

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:30 am

CitrusCritter wrote:

The grammar in that article is so atrocious, I can barely understand what they're trying to say.
WCTV has, in one fell swoop, made Fox News look like the finest purveyors of the Queen's English!

FTMCPIUS

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:14 am

AA737-823 wrote:
CitrusCritter wrote:

The grammar in that article is so atrocious, I can barely understand what they're trying to say.
WCTV has, in one fell swoop, made Fox News look like the finest purveyors of the Queen's English!

Agreed. Don't wish to pile on but no comma after atrocious.

TWA772LR

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:20 am

AA737-823 wrote:
CitrusCritter wrote:

Gotta love North Florida...
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

iamlucky13

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:27 am

The wctv article probably should be preserved for posterity before they proof read and correct it.

I wonder if this is yet another windshield heater incident. This isn't the best article, but in a quick search I didn't find anything better:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdu ... story.html

N14AZ

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:27 am

Oh Lord, saw that this thread had already six replies so I thought I should open it to see if something serious happened.... just to realise that four out of six replies deal with English grammar.... ;-)

LoganTheBogan

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:09 am

That WCTV article literally made my eyes bleed.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

iahcsr

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:34 am

Back to the flight.... ferried N38443 in from IAH.... 1239 will be arriving ORD about eight hours late.

cwa2toa

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:58 am

LoganTheBogan wrote:

As an English teacher, I kept on reading thinking maybe this is the result of Google Translate. It was so stunted and disjointed that it was like a non-native speaker wrote it.
WCTV needs a much better proofreader.

Glad the pax finally made it to their destination.
We’ll pick a star
in the twilight canopy
and search the world
for the sights you long to see.
Your heart is young,
you’re alive, so come with me.

TWA, up, up, and away!
:airplane:

MalevTU134

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:39 am

cwa2toa wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:

As an English teacher, I kept on reading thinking maybe this is the result of Google Translate. It was so stunted and disjointed that it was like a non-native speaker wrote it.

No, it's the result of poor education, I'm afraid. WCTV needs not only a much better proofreader, but Erin Lisch (the "journalist" who wrote that news article) shouldn't be allowed near a computer unsupervised for a long time, unless it's for training purposes. The article was updated 20 minutes ago after having been published for 10 hours, but it's still awful. It is mind-boggling how somebody can write that incomprehensibly, stand up from her desk and go home after a day's work, calling herself a professional.

Anyway, on a more on-topic note...glue smell that turns inte burnt smell...any ideas what it could be?

N14AZ

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:58 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
By WCTV Eyewitness News; Erin Lisch | Posted: Tue 5:18 PM, Jun 13, 2017 | Updated: Wed 3:07 AM, Jun 14, 2017

By: Erin Lisch
June 13, 2017
[...]

Didn't know that it was THAT bad. Can anyone count the mistakes?

b747400erf

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:11 am

A lot of smaller news networks use bots to write articles.

Natflyer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:26 am

b747400erf wrote:
A lot of smaller news networks use bots to write articles.

So this bot is named Erin Lisch?

LockheedBBD

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:03 am

AA737-823 wrote:
CitrusCritter wrote:

It might help if you read it with a southern accent. :duck:

LockheedBBD

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:18 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
cwa2toa wrote:
LoganTheBogan wrote:

No, it's the result of poor education, I'm afraid. WCTV needs not only a much better proofreader, but Erin Lisch (the "journalist" who wrote that news article) shouldn't be allowed near a computer unsupervised for a long time, unless it's for training purposes. The article was updated 20 minutes ago after having been published for 10 hours, but it's still awful. It is mind-boggling how somebody can write that incomprehensibly, stand up from her desk and go home after a day's work, calling herself a professional.

Based on Erin Lisch's personal site, it seems to be a trend: https://www.erinlisch.com
I'm passion about the field of broadcasting, but when I'm not reporting, you'll find me on the links or testing out my tennis skills!

But the interesting thing is that she has in fact graduated from University according to her online resume:
President’s List & Dean’s List - Florida State University

Graduated Magna Cum Laude - Florida State University

Maybe it's the local dialect having an effect on her writing?

iahcsr

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 am

Meanwhile the flight did in fact finally reach ORD. N66897 will ferry to IAH later today, pending Mx capable.

MalevTU134

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:30 pm

LockheedBBD wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
cwa2toa wrote:

Based on Erin Lisch's personal site, it seems to be a trend: https://www.erinlisch.com
I'm passion about the field of broadcasting, but when I'm not reporting, you'll find me on the links or testing out my tennis skills!

But the interesting thing is that she has in fact graduated from University according to her online resume:
President’s List & Dean’s List - Florida State University

Graduated Magna Cum Laude - Florida State University

Maybe it's the local dialect having an effect on her writing?

1. Erin Lisch will scratch her head today about all those visits to her website.
2. I thought she was too good looking to be a bot...until I saw this:
© 2023 by Michelle Ryder
Oh...and please remind me never to send my kids to Florida State. Magna Cum Laude...geeeez...

sandyb123

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:36 pm

This actually just made me laugh out loud in my office!

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

tcfc424

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:38 pm

It almost looks like she was making notes to fill in and develop her story...but never developed and filled anything in.

kabq737

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Wow...that article is special...

It is kind of difficult to get the full story from that terrible excuse for journalism. Does anyone know if the "glue" that the passengers were smelling during boarding could just be new plane smell?
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

Seabear

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Q - Why does the Florida State graduate place his diploma on the dashboard of his car?

A - So he can park in the handicapped spaces.

Go Gators!

litz

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:00 pm

LockheedBBD wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:
CitrusCritter wrote:

1) speaking for all native Southerners .... oi!, hey! (and any other exclamatory you can think of including those not printable)

2) I've still not figured out how someone hired by an actual honest-to-god tv station could possibly write this, and boast of an actual high school or college degree. Baffling. I've met middle schoolers with better grammatical skills.

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm

The crew sounds like they followed the Smoke, Fire, or Fumes checklist correctly. The turned off the non-essential electrical systems and landed at the nearest suitable airport.

I've seen worse journalism. Like the guy who wrote that Hainan Airlines was starting a flight from Eugene to Beijing. I think that was a Medford newspaper. If I ever approached my job as poorly as a lot of journalists, I'd be fired in a second.

WesternDC6B

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:34 pm

LockheedBBD wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:
CitrusCritter wrote:
Please see news stories:

I resided in the south (Tennessee and Alabama) for 10 years. I heard plenty of "ain't", double negatives, and dropped final "G"s. However, I did not see or hear grammar like that in the article. Perhaps the authoress worked tech support for Verizon or AT&T before becoming a reporter.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

WesternDC6B

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:44 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
The crew sounds like they followed the Smoke, Fire, or Fumes checklist correctly. The turned off the non-essential electrical systems and landed at the nearest suitable airport.

I've seen worse journalism. Like the guy who wrote that Hainan Airlines was starting a flight from Eugene to Beijing. I think that was a Medford newspaper. If I ever approached my job as poorly as a lot of journalists, I'd be fired in a second.

My favorite bungling of an emergency landing story appeared decades ago. It was about an emergency landing involving a "twin engine DC-8 Super Constellation. Not to rub salt into the wounds but I think it was a Florida paper.

As for the reporter: she needs to learn to write more sweller and more neatlier. And stuff.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

skymiler

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:44 pm

I line in TLH and totally avoid the local media. The writing is really terrible and they rarely get their facts correct. What you saw is typical -- and some of the "front page" articles are simply filler/click bait.
I love to fly, and it shows!

Johns305

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Guys/Gals, that is a transcript of the segment that aired in the broadcast. It was not written for print.

Watch the video. It's makes perfect sense if you try to play TV News Reporter yourself.

MalevTU134

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:02 pm

Johns305 wrote:
Guys/Gals, that is a transcript of the segment that aired in the broadcast. It was not written for print.

Watch the video. It's makes perfect sense if you try to play TV News Reporter yourself.

But they DID print it....and publush it....and edit it after 10 hours.... The version you see is the edited one, by the way...believe it or not.
And that is NOT a transcript from the aired segment. Pieces are missing, and the spoken grammar in the segment is kind of correct, not like what is printed. The quoted parts are transcripts, yes. The rest, no.

atcsundevil

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:04 am

Almost none of the discussion in this topic has related to the incident itself, so the thread will be locked.

✈️ atcsundevil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos