Samrnpage
Topic Author

Airports that had potential that never made it

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:12 am

There are plenty of airports around the world that have huge potential, but never realised it.

Off the top of my head

Manston UK (MSE) - In an area of England where the next "main" airport is Gatwick at over an hours drive away, Manston could've served over 1 million people for an easier connection to Europe and couldve easily been another "london" airport. KLM, Flybe, Monarch, Small Planet, Air southwest, Futura etc all tried and failed to make the airport work. The airport is now closed and being turned into a overnight parking area for traffic going to Dover.

Montreal Mirabel Airport- Quite a famous one, built to replace Dorval (Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) it was going to be the main international airport in the area. However due to its location and the long range jets coming into play, passengers just didnt like the airport. Its now a pure cargo hub, with a racecourse on one side and aircraft factory in the other

Ciudad Airport - An airport aimed to be an overflow airport for Madrid as well as an alternative for some people in the area, the airport never found a place in the aviation world. Ryanair gave it a shot but the airport closed and wasted millions of $$$. It famously got sold at auction for less than 20000 euros!

Are there any more airports around the world that should be bigger, or have failed for random reasons??? Thanks in advance!

bohica

Re: Airports that had potential that never made it

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:39 am

Berlin Brandenburg International Airport (BER) Need I say anything more?

alggag

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:18 am

BLV - Built to address crowding at STL but now that traffic at STL is way down after the TWA hub BLV is used only by G4.

BKG/BBG - Built to stimulate air travel to Branson. F9, FL, and WN (after acquiring FL) all tried it but it failed to hold service from any of the big airlines.

Wednesdayite

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:27 am

Sheffield City.

Opened in '97. Closed less than a decade later. First and only airport ever to serve the UK's 5th largest city and 9th largest metro area.

Worked fine as a feeder airport sending commuter jets to hubs in London, Amsterdam etc. KLM in particular seemed to delight in how the route exceeded their expectations.

The council sold it off and the new owner (Peel) preferred to focus on Doncaster with its longer runway and the ability to handle LCC's.

So now Sheffield's business community is once again disadvantaged. Getting to Manchester isn't the easiest or quickest trip. Especially in winter.

Leeds-Bradford is also a hassle to get to and from.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

KosherCoder

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:52 am

ABE - perfectly positioned as a reliever to both PHL and EWR but never realized its potential.

AM744

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:19 am

Chichen Itza airport. (CZA) Half way between MID and CUN. I don´t think it ever received scheduled flights. The new Palenque airport (PQM) airport only gets a couple of Interjet weekly flights.

LAX772LR

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:22 am

Samrnpage wrote:
Montreal Mirabel Airport- Quite a famous one, built to replace Dorval (Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) it was going to be the main international airport in the area. However due to its location and the long range jets coming into play, passengers just didnt like the airport. Its now a pure cargo hub, with a racecourse on one side and aircraft factory in the other

Like MXP, KIX, IAD, and so many others... the governing bodies made the mistake of leaving the older more-convenient airport open, and usually with more extensive/convenient ground transportation at that. So the pax never materialized for the new larger gateway.

That should've long since been the takeaway lesson for airport building:
unless you're dealing with an alpha-level world city, then if you're going to build a replacement airport, CLOSE the predecessor!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

intotheair

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:28 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:

Like MXP, KIX, IAD, and so many others... the governing bodies made the mistake of leaving the older more-convenient airport open, and usually with more extensive/convenient ground transportation at that. So the pax never materialized for the new larger gateway.

unless you're dealing with an alpha-level world city, then if you're going to build a replacement airport, CLOSE the predecessor!

That was certainly what happened at DEN! They practically had bulldozers on Stapleton's runways the day DIA opened. Almost the entire airport was ground into pulp less than a decade after it closed, even the fairly new concourse buildings that the city promised they would repurpose as office buildings. I think the city of Denver certainly looked at YMX, DAL/DFW, and IAD/DCA and learned to not allow any sort of circumstances that would keep Stapleton open or ready-to-re-open. MUC pretty much did the same thing too.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Varsity1

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:29 am

MCI - tragically designed for SST's that never arrived.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

MaxTrimm

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:32 am

ONT- Sizeable airport with hardly any traffic

PatrickZ80

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:00 am

Wednesdayite wrote:
First and only airport ever to serve the UK's 5th largest city and 9th largest metro area.

That's actually not true, there's Doncaster-Sheffield airport. A former military airport that has now been turned into a civilian airport. A bit further from Sheffield and closer to Doncaster than to Sheffield, but still a lot closer than Manchester for example.

Problem with Sheffield is that it's on very hilly terrain and there's hardly any flat spot where an airport can be built. Sheffield City airport was small, but as big as they could get it. Still too small it appeared.

LatAmFlyer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:16 am

I sure wish the moderators would show me airport names when I mouse over their codes. They've decided to take that ability away from us. Bites.

CARST

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:39 am

LatAmFlyer wrote:
I sure wish the moderators would show me airport names when I mouse over their codes. They've decided to take that ability away from us. Bites.

You are on airliners.net! You should know them all! Seriously! ;)

But I agree would be nice to get this feature back. I can live without it, because you'll know most codes after a while...

GSP psgr

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:43 am

MCAS El Toro: Could have been LA's EWR had it been used as a commercial airport.

mjoelnir

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:45 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:

Do not mention this to the Berlin Tegel crowd.

r2rho

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 am

There is an important addition to that statement: if you're going to build a replacement airport - while both the new and the predecessor still offers enough capacity - close the predecessor.
But that statement does not hold true in Berlin. BER cannot, neither in its current nor proposed expanded form, handle Berlin's traffic alone. Nor can TXL. Berlin would shoot itself in the foot (again) if it closed TXL. The only way to do handle the traffic is with TXL and BER together, which can work in a complementary way, as Berlin is mainly an O&D city.

LAX772LR

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:10 am

LatAmFlyer wrote:

...or, instead of (pointlessly) whining, get proactive: learn a few new airport codes with each visit.
In a short time, you'd have no need for any such feature.

mjoelnir wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Yeah, seriously! :banghead:

Channex757

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:16 am

Durham Tees Valley MME.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_Te ... ey_Airport

Another in the Peel portfolio these days, originally an RAF base that was repurposed in the 1960s and never really got into its stride. British Midland was a prominent operator there.

N14AZ

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:26 am

LAX772LR wrote:
LatAmFlyer wrote:

...or, instead of (pointlessly) whining, get proactive: learn a few new airport codes with each visit.

Wow, rather unfriendly. You really manage to write like Thranduil speaks... ;-)

Seriously, I visit a.net since more than 15 years several times a day and I still have problems with all these codes, especially domestic airports.

Back to the topic, depending on how it will go on, I think we can add HHN.

777GE90

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:31 am

Samrnpage wrote:
There are plenty of airports around the world that have huge potential, but never realised it.

Off the top of my head

Manston UK (MSE) - In an area of England where the next "main" airport is Gatwick at over an hours drive away, Manston could've served over 1 million people for an easier connection to Europe and couldve easily been another "london" airport. KLM, Flybe, Monarch, Small Planet, Air southwest, Futura etc all tried and failed to make the airport work. The airport is now closed and being turned into a overnight parking area for traffic going to Dover.!

I disagree, that airport is as east as you can be, right next to the coast. Do you have any idea how much of an extra drive that is for most LHR travelers? It's one of the reasons why I never fly out of Gatwick because that's bad enough. I've been west to Devon before and I know the streets and infrastructure are no where near as good to handle international passenger volumes and this area looks the same to me really. Probably why it failed, if it was located closer to "London" then it may have had a chance. It's why Boris's Thames Estuary project was a bad idea, simply the wrong location, although I loved the idea of a 4 runway superhub.

LAX772LR

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:35 am

N14AZ wrote:
Wow, rather unfriendly.

Perhaps, but no less pertinent

N14AZ wrote:
more than 15 years several times a day and I still have problems with all these codes

...probably NOT the type of thing one would want to freely admit/volunteer. Just sayin'.

N14AZ wrote:
I think we can add HHN.

Why?

flipdewaf

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:38 am

Channex757 wrote:
Durham Tees Valley MME.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_Te ... ey_Airport

Another in the Peel portfolio these days, originally an RAF base that was repurposed in the 1960s and never really got into its stride. British Midland was a prominent operator there.

My local where I learned to fly, with proper access (dual carriageway from the A66 to a correct sized car park) feeding a new terminal (not just clad in aluminium panels) and the train station moved to next to the airport with more than 1 train per week it could be a good airport, if it were under the leadership of someone who was responsible for regeneration of Teesside then I would think it would get a lot more support and help drive business growth in the area. A sad affair indeed. Stupid peel holdings.

Fred

mjoelnir

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:05 am

r2rho wrote:

There is an important addition to that statement: if you're going to build a replacement airport - while both the new and the predecessor still offers enough capacity - close the predecessor.
But that statement does not hold true in Berlin. BER cannot, neither in its current nor proposed expanded form, handle Berlin's traffic alone. Nor can TXL. Berlin would shoot itself in the foot (again) if it closed TXL. The only way to do handle the traffic is with TXL and BER together, which can work in a complementary way, as Berlin is mainly an O&D city.

Once again for people not able to count.

As it is arranged today the SXF Terminal, capacity 12 million pax, will stay open and the BER Terminal, with nominal 27 million pax capacity, is bigger than the TXL terminal, with 12 million nominal pax capacity. I know that TXL does about 22 million PAX, but in what way does opening the BER terminal and closing TXL reduce capacity for Berlin?

Two independent runways should be able without problems to service both the old SXF terminal and the BER terminal. MUC does 42 million with two independent runways and LHR even 75.

It is anyway always a strange discussion, the airport is open, serving as it is SXF only. The problem is the Terminal for BER, not the airport itself.

Wednesdayite

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:37 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Wednesdayite wrote:
First and only airport ever to serve the UK's 5th largest city and 9th largest metro area.

That's actually not true, there's Doncaster-Sheffield airport. A former military airport that has now been turned into a civilian airport. A bit further from Sheffield and closer to Doncaster than to Sheffield, but still a lot closer than Manchester for example.

Problem with Sheffield is that it's on very hilly terrain and there's hardly any flat spot where an airport can be built. Sheffield City airport was small, but as big as they could get it. Still too small it appeared.

Huh? What have I said that's not true?

I even referenced Doncaster in my post as the reason for Sheffield's demise. Peel didn't want both airoprts. And Doncaster can call the airport what it wants (They have already had one u-turn ditching the Robin Hood name) but Doncaster is not Sheffield.

While I recognize that in the last year FlyBe has started routes from Doncaster to Amsterdam and CDG (allowing for a very limited opportunity to connect into KLM and AF's network) the timings aren't favorable. Random search for a flight from Doncaster to Milan showed only one option with less than 4 hours on the ground at the connection airport.

Ultimately the focus of Doncaster is LCC flights to the Med and Eastern Europe. Great if that's where you want to go - not so much if you don't. Hence why many Sheffielders and especially business travellers still need to use Manchester or Leeds-Bradford.

Ultimately what Sheffield had did work. While we all recognize the constraints of the hills - and the short runway at Sheffield City, it was fine having an opportunity for commuter jets to feed BA, KLM and AF. But that was taken away despite the routes performing well.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

Terminal48

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 am

KWI- Kuwait International Airport had the potential to become the best airport in the world but because of the Iraqi invasion everything planned was ruined.

atcsundevil

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:12 am

LatAmFlyer wrote:

Why do you think we have control over this? We aren't coders. I wouldn't even know where to begin! We're basically just janitors, so anything related to the technical function of the site is way outside of our purview. There are updates from the developers on this issue in the Site Related forum, which is where this discussion really belongs. In any event, the developers have been working on it, and were ready to roll it out about a month ago, but it requires some more work before it can go live. In the mean time, a quick Google search will help provide you with answers. Even I have to look up airport codes occasionally (and that's basically what I do for a living), so while it can be a little bit tedious, it's a teachable moment if you choose to make it one.

readytotaxi

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:13 am

Poor old Manston airport in Kent. Been closed 3 yrs now, it even accepted the A380.

you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

OzarkD9S

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:16 am

GYY. 30-45 minutes from downtown Chicago. Newly lengthened runway. Well placed to be Chicago's third airport. Has the unfortunate stigma of being in Gary, Indiana.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

N14AZ

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:24 am

LAX772LR wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
more than 15 years several times a day and I still have problems with all these codes

...probably NOT the type of thing one would want to freely admit/volunteer. Just sayin'.

I have no problem admiting that I did not use my time here on a.net to learn the codes of some small domestic airports in ... let's say ... Kentucky (sorry to all a.netters from Kentucky...).
There are other things that I like to learn here...

LAX772LR wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
I think we can add HHN.

Why?

Simple, I needed something related to the topic to avoid that my post will be deleted. So I choose HHN (sorry to all HHN-fans...). :-)

readytotaxi wrote:
Poor old Manston airport in Kent. Been closed 3 yrs now, it even accepted the A380.

Wow, interesting, I didn't know this. :-)

Revelation

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:25 am

Poor old PIT! USAir's East Coast hub back in the 90s. Had the most incredible assortment of aircraft all flying for USAir -- Fokkers, Boeings, Douglases, etc. Mega shopping mall with an airport wrapped around it, or that how it felt back then when most airport shops were news stands. Ultimately was/is too far off the north/south routings and not enough O/D to pump up the volume and ownership that actually wanted to recover the massive investment they put into it. Now, just a shadow of its former self.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

r2rho

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:29 am

in what way does opening the BER terminal and closing TXL reduce capacity for Berlin?

BER is built for most of those 27million pax being transfers, when in fact it will be handling O&D. On top of that, the capacity of one runway is lost if TXL is shut down. Considering that new runways can politically never be built, I find it irresponsible to shut down a fully functioning infrastructure. As for keeping SXF open, there is nothing definite about that - unless you believe the words of Berlin's ruling class.

MUC does 42 million with two independent runways and LHR even 75.
Once again, completely different markets and traffic flows. Not comparable. And MUC already has no peak-hour slots available and is crying for a 3rd runway.

If BER ever opens and TXL shuts down, I invite you to fly into Berlin and test your optimistic hypotheses... you might however not make it into the city, because the roads will not be able to handle the shift in traffic flows to the south, and the Dresdner Bahn is blocked by Nimbys... After the experience, you might prefer ride your bike to Berlin instead, as the Greens are proposing.

Lentini2001

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:38 am

BHX, BHX, BHX, BHX, BHX, BHX...

skipness1E

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:48 am

Prestwick PIK/EGPK, huge airfield with a large terminal and long runway that was doomed the day Glasgow City Council agreed to replace Renfrew with the new Glasgow Airport at Abbotsinch.

AWACSooner

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
GYY. 30-45 minutes from downtown Chicago. Newly lengthened runway. Well placed to be Chicago's third airport. Has the unfortunate stigma of being in Gary, Indiana.

If they renamed it "Gary/Chicago-Michael Jackson International Airport," airlines would show up in droves ;)

MainelyRick

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:12 pm

This is going to seriously date me but GSW was built in the late 50s just inside the Ft. Worth eastern city limits to compete with DAL. Closed after about 10 or so years. DFW was just a dream back then. DFW is almost directly north of where GSW used to be. Might be a small slab of the runway still there.
Seems like it was served by AA, Trans Texas, maybe BN.

Anthony100

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:34 pm

CLE built Concourse D for Continental, once the merge with United several years later they pulled out over half their flights. Now Concourse D is the newest and in my opinion the nicest Concourse CLE has. The Concourse was used for smaller jets such as the Embraer 135 or the Q400. Now the Concourse is just staying there not use and will be so until 2027 when United is done paying for the Concourse. The airport would've had much potential for new airlines to come to the city but only using Concourses A, B, and C make it somewhat competitive for airlines in the city and make it hard for an airline to grow in the city.

cosyr

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:01 pm

COS when WestPac was growing. They built a new concourse, and tried to market themselves as a 2nd Denver airport. With the growth south of Denver, it's not impossible, but it will never be like MDW is to ORD.

mjoelnir

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:01 pm

r2rho wrote:
in what way does opening the BER terminal and closing TXL reduce capacity for Berlin?

BER is built for most of those 27million pax being transfers, when in fact it will be handling O&D. On top of that, the capacity of one runway is lost if TXL is shut down. Considering that new runways can politically never be built, I find it irresponsible to shut down a fully functioning infrastructure. As for keeping SXF open, there is nothing definite about that - unless you believe the words of Berlin's ruling class.

MUC does 42 million with two independent runways and LHR even 75.
Once again, completely different markets and traffic flows. Not comparable. And MUC already has no peak-hour slots available and is crying for a 3rd runway.

If BER ever opens and TXL shuts down, I invite you to fly into Berlin and test your optimistic hypotheses... you might however not make it into the city, because the roads will not be able to handle the shift in traffic flows to the south, and the Dresdner Bahn is blocked by Nimbys... After the experience, you might prefer ride your bike to Berlin instead, as the Greens are proposing.

Just straight absolute rubbish. Runways are not interested if the traffic is O&D or connections. MUC has about 395,000 movements a year, TXL and SKF together have about 285.000, the runways are comparable and the night closing hours will be comparable. The BER terminal even regarding O&D is just plain bigger than the terminal in TXL. It has more stands, more check in desk, more of everything than TXL.
Regarding traffic connections you will find few airports better connected than to local traffic than BER. Regarding cars, you have a direct connection to the motorway 113. You have light rail connecting you into town and you also have a railway station connecting you to the main railway system.
You are much nearer to the city centre than at for example at LHR.

Start talking numbers rather than emotions.

UpNAWAy

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Dont forget Alliance (AFW) in Fort Worth. Although with the areas size and growth it still may be a viable passenger airport someday.

longhauler

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:10 pm

LatAmFlyer wrote:

Strangely enough, if you look at an old message ... one from before the switch to the new site ... that function still works!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

rbavfan

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:16 pm

AM744 wrote:
Chichen Itza airport. (CZA) Half way between MID and CUN. I don´t think it ever received scheduled flights. The new Palenque airport (PQM) airport only gets a couple of Interjet weekly flights.

Population looks small verse Merida & Cancun. It's in the middle of nowhere why would they use it?

Seabear

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:30 pm

KTNT...the Everglades Jetport. Now known as the Dade-Collier Training and Transition Airport

Per Wikipedia:
Begun in 1968 as the Everglades Jetport (also known as Big Cypress Jetport), the airport was planned to be the largest airport in the world, covering 39 square miles with six runways, and connected to both central Miami and the Gulf of Mexico by an expressway and monorail line. The airport would have been five times the size of JFK Airport in New York.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dade-Co ... on_Airport

https://www.nps.gov/bicy/learn/historyc ... etport.htm

Revelation

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:37 pm

longhauler wrote:
LatAmFlyer wrote:

Strangely enough, if you look at an old message ... one from before the switch to the new site ... that function still works!

That's not unexpected. The code to do the hover messages is in the web pages generated by the old site. That code runs inside your browser, independent of the web site. The new site isn't generating the hover code, but it sounds like it is something the development team is working on.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

incitatus

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:39 pm

New York suburbs:

SWF - after many false starts, maybe the push from Norwegian will put it on the map.

HPN - self inflicted wounds

TTN - Build it (a terminal) and they will come.

Someone mentioned ABE above, but if TTN can't make it, no reason to hope that ABE can.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

r2rho

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Start talking numbers rather than emotions.

It is you who is seems to get emotional about this... I have already said that the road infrastructure is insufficient for the expected southward shift in traffic flows, and that link to main rail is currently blocked by Nimbys. The runway to terminal capacity relationship very much cares about whether traffic is O&D or connecting. Plus, BER is politically capped to 360,000 below the true capacity of 2 independent runways, and the operating hours are not set in stone, as there is a proposal on the table for a 2200 curfew.

In order to not derail the thread, I will refrain from further comments.

Samrnpage
Topic Author

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Great responses from all! Cheers :)

kbmiflyer

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:59 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

Having Gary in the name certainly doesn't help, but the airport also doesn't exactly have easy highway access. . Other than the Northwest Indiana suburbs, MDW and ORD are as good as or better alternatives.

Another airport would be BLV (Mid-American Airport in St. Louis). I personally am not sure it fits the category because I am not sure it ever had potential, but somebody did. It manages to survive and has actually been increasing passenger counts as Allegiant continues to appear to do well there, but it will never reach its potential as a second St. Louis airport since STL is now overflowing with capacity since AA pulled out as a hub and the 3rd runway was built.

2travel2know2

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:09 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:
ONT- Sizeable airport with hardly any traffic
Give it dedicated rail service to Los Angeles and something might happen.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

DaveFly

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:23 pm

incitatus wrote:
New York suburbs:

SWF - after many false starts, maybe the push from Norwegian will put it on the map.

HPN - self inflicted wounds

TTN - Build it (a terminal) and they will come.

Someone mentioned ABE above, but if TTN can't make it, no reason to hope that ABE can.

I live very close to Stewart. I've lost count how many times it was intended to be New York's fourth major airport. But as you said, maybe this week's Norwegian startup will change things.

Most important, there is now a dedicated express bus service from SWF to Port Authority, scheduled at just under 1-1/2 hours.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

bmacleod

Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:27 pm

Samrnpage wrote:
Montreal Mirabel Airport- Quite a famous one, built to replace Dorval (Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport) it was going to be the main international airport in the area. However due to its location and the long range jets coming into play, passengers just didnt like the airport. Its now a pure cargo hub, with a racecourse on one side and aircraft factory in the other.

YQX - Gander International despite its size, hardly any decent traffic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gander_International_Airport
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos