LAX772LR

Re: Could LAX Become The Worlds Busiest Airport?

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:46 am

Braniff1 wrote:
Is there any airport, US that is worse than LAX for entering customs? It is a 3rd world experience; very inefficient.

You sound like you're just spewing generalizations based on supposition rather than experience with the process here... but just to humor: in which Terminal?

T2 or T6, can be a bit of a pain, but hardly a "3rd world experience."
I've never cleared in T7, so can't speak to that.

T5 is fine. And Bradley is a breeze-- with G.E., I've never spent more than 20min in there (including baggage claim), even during the morning Aussie rush and the evening Euro rush.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DfwAussie

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:49 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:
Is there any airport, US that is worse than LAX for entering customs? It is a 3rd world experience; very inefficient.

You sound like you're just spewing generalizations based on supposition rather than experience with the process here... but just to humor: in which Terminal?

T5 is fine. And Bradley is a breeze-- with G.E., I've never spent more than 20min in there (including baggage claim), even during the morning Aussie rush and the evening Euro rush.

Perhaps they have not experienced the joy of customs at MIA.

LAX772LR

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:03 am

DfwAussie wrote:

Can't speak for them... but my gripe with MIA is its odd hours. The facilities weren't all that bad.

Sitting on the tarmac at 3:30am due to GIG-MIA arriving early, and not having customs available for another hour, at the (then) 2nd busiest int'l gateway in the country? Fun. :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

globalcabotage

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:46 am

Pay the 100 bucks for Global Entry. Well worth it (and employer paid for it).'

Eases the brutal lines at LAX and MIA (why anyone would connect there stuns me and the waits and incompetent CBP emoyeee).

globalcabotage

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:50 am

DfwAussie wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:

LAX and MIA are fighting JFK for worst immigration experiences.

DFW and ORD used to be terrible, but are much improved. Yes, I have Global Entry, but the regular line looks much better.

tphuang

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:17 am

DfwAussie wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:

Newark is the worst in my opinion, followed by JFK terminal 4

Atlwarrior

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:17 am

ATL is adding a 6 runway and forecast to be the 6th largest metro by 2040. I see DFW and ATL at the top because of population growth and runway capacity.

manny

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:59 am

For the next leader you have to look towards markets that a growing at a very fast rate and have lot of room to grow. So do not see the next leader to be from European or North American markets. The ME3 are going to face the geopolitical headwinds and more resistance towards capacity dumping. So I think the next leader will be someone like PEK or DEL in the next 10 years timeframe.

ro1960

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:06 am

manny wrote:
For the next leader you have to look towards markets that a growing at a very fast rate and have lot of room to grow. So do not see the next leader to be from European or North American markets. The ME3 are going to face the geopolitical headwinds and more resistance towards capacity dumping. So I think the next leader will be someone like PEK or DEL in the next 10 years timeframe.

Like I said before MEX, IST, once their new airports open will be on their way to be among the busiest WORLD airports.

MEX, 6 years of steady growth and at capacity:
2011: +9.3%
2012: +11.8%
2013: +6.9%
2014: +8.6%
2015: +12.2%
2016: +8.5%

IST, pretty much 13 years of two-digit growth with some impressive ones:
2004: +29%
2005: +24%
2008: +23%
2012: +20%

DUB and PEK will also rank high. In 10 year time the busiest airportS will be outside the US.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

factsonly

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:29 pm

The 2016 Top Airports list is found here:

http://www.aci.aero/media/f25eea92-dd4a ... le_001.JPG

Just some interesting data to note:

List 2016:

1. ATL - 2015 #1.
2. PEK- 2015 #2.
3. DXB - 2015 #3.
4. LAX - 2015 #7.
5. HND - 2015 #5.
6. ORD - 2015 #4.
7. LHR - 2015 #6.
8. HKG - 2015 #8.
9. PVG - 2015 #13.
10. CDG - 2015 #9.
11. DFW - 2015 #10.
12. AMS - 2015 #14
13. FRA - 2015 #12
14. IST - 2015 #11
15. CAN - 2015 #17.
16. JFK - 2015 #15.
17. SIN - 2015 #16.
18. DEN - 2015 #19
19. ICN - 2015 #22.
20. BKK - 2015 #20

High Growth Airports 2016:
- ICN +17.1%
- PVG +9.9%
- AMS +9.2%
- CAN + 8.2
- LAX 8.0%

Low Growth Airports 2016:
- IST -1.9%
- FRA -0.4%
- DFW +0.2%
- CDG +0.3%
- LHR +1%

manny

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:42 pm

ro1960 wrote:
manny wrote:

Like I said before MEX, IST, once their new airports open will be on their way to be among the busiest WORLD airports.

DUB and PEK will also rank high. In 10 year time the busiest airportS will be outside the US.

IST has got some geopolitical headwinds. I expect it to have negative growth.

mercure1

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:48 pm

manny wrote:
IST has got some geopolitical headwinds. I expect it to have negative growth.

Turkey is rebounding.
For the first 5 months of 2017 reported nation traffic is up 1.3%, and year over year comparisons will become much stronger in Q3 and Q4 as previous declines are reversed.
mercure f-wtcc

mernest

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
With only 4 runways to be shared by arrivals and departures, LAX is quickly approaching the limit on total number of aircraft movements it can handle.

LAX is still 10% off it's own peak annual movements.

jde91

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:07 pm

I always think Denver is such an odd one on the top 20 list... is it United's biggest hub? I don't remember seeing that is has huge numbers of Lon haul flights? Is it just that big due to domestic?

winginit

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:42 pm

It's going to be wildly entertaining watching LAX, and TBIT FIS in particular, melt down this Summer given the increased capacity (what is it +7 widebodies into the airport multiple days of the week when compared to last year?). As others have stated, LAWA needs to learn to say no, and it's shocking that the airport isn't slot controlled to the extent that others of comparable size are.

DfwAussie

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:56 pm

ro1960 wrote:
manny wrote:

In 10 years (barring delays), PEK will have two international airports. I've read elsewhere on here that CA and * members are remaining at PEK. Also MU and CZ are going to keep some ops at PEK. As for DXB, unless they shut it down altogether, DWC could surpass. The ? is why close DXB after billions in terminal upgrades?

atl100million

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:20 am

Everyone is in land grab mode at LAX right now because there isn't much more capacity that can be added.. just like in SFO and in NYC. Given that no other LAX airport is a viable alternative to LAX and several other LA Basin airports are also near capacity, you are watching a once in a lifetime growth spurt. Carriers that don't move now will likely have to live with what they have for the long-term. That means that LAX' growth rate will be not high for an extended period of time and that not everyone that is trying to grow at LAX will be able to.

DaufuskieGuy

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:05 am

United787 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Very unlikely ORD will, as it's trend has been in the exact opposite trajectory, with LAX having surpassed it yet again.

ORD's growth had been constrained by it's runway configuration but that is mostly now fixed with 5 parallel runways and a 6th approved but not scheduled yet.

Now ORD is constrained by it's terminal capacity but the City is working on that problem and we may see something soon. There is plenty of land to work with.

ORD has a lot of potential: 1) massive O&D (no not as much as LAX but still huge) 2) lots of physical room for growth 3) geographically located for mid-continent connections

LAX, SFO, EWR, JFK & LGA all have #1 but not #2 or #3.
DFW, DEN, IAH have all 3 but the #1 isn't as big...

with 5 runways and a 6th approved ORD is perhaps now at the point where it could absorb MDW? build WN a nice dedicated terminal and parking over on the west side and sell MDW off. lord knows they can use the cash right now in IL.

intotheair

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:47 am

jde91 wrote:
I always think Denver is such an odd one on the top 20 list... is it United's biggest hub? I don't remember seeing that is has huge numbers of Lon haul flights? Is it just that big due to domestic?

DEN is like ATL, only smaller and more domestic in focus. It was modeled after ATL and is a very modern airfield and facility, making it a very efficient place for an airline to do business. It makes connections pretty easy, but Denver is also large enough and growing enough as a city to hold its own weight. 65% of passengers are O&D, so it's not strictly a connection airport by any means. It's well-situated to pull from all corners of the country as it's not much more than two hours at most to the west coast and four hours to the east coast. The isolation of a lot of places in the mountain west make flying a more competitive proposition over driving, unlike many other regions of the U.S. The airport has been fully paid off, so landing fees are low again. It's no longer a fortress hub, so the competition is very healthy. The two largest tenants, UA and WN, both have plans to grow traffic there. It was UA's #2 hub pre-merger, but it's been a solid #4 now behind ORD, IAH, and EWR. There is more international service at DEN now than ever, with a handful of flights to Europe, a decent number to Central America, and the daily NRT. It's not a huge number of international flights, but that's more than any of DEN's regional peers can claim.

For most years in the 2000s, DEN was the fifth busiest in the U.S. and in the top ten worldwide, coming just behind FRA. DEN hasn't dropped off by any means — passenger numbers are still growing — but lots of other airports like PEK, PVG, JFK, AMS, HKG, IST, and CAN have outpaced DEN's growth. It's also important to remember that DEN, ATL, et al only have one airport for the entire metro area. If NYC, LA, the Bay Area, and Chicago all had centralized airports with no capacity or operational issues like DEN, they would all shoot to the top of the list.

My guess is that had the city of Denver never built DIA and instead tried to make what they could have with the landlocked, inefficient, and overflowing Stapleton, DEN probably wouldn't be in the top 30 worldwide.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Braniff1

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:38 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:

First, I'd like to know why you are so opinionated; why you are one of the most arrogant posters on this board? Second, Legolas I have no desire to spar with some child chasing a mythical ring around Mordor.
Regards,
Gollum

aaway

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Geography, in its many permutations, make it unlikely that LAX becomes the world's busiest airport if considering the common metrics used for measurement.

If passenger throughput is your consideration, the other area airports - despite the their limitations - offset the potential O & D component that exists region wide. As it stands, LAX would need a greater level of connecting passenger activity (a metric that is consistently undercounted at LAX, btw) to enhance throughput.

If considering aircraft movements, the coastal location is a limiting factor - there a only so many points beyond the coast that are available as destinations. With the points that are available, the average length-of-haul is greater with the coastal location, so that will limit the level of frequency offered to all but the largest city-pair markets.

Additionally, LAX being located in the western U.S., where population is more thinly spread, limits the number potential air service markets. If one were to draw circles equating to 250, 500 & 750 mile radii around LAX and, for a comparative, ATL, there are many more spokes available to ATL as a result of population distribution in the east vs. the west. On that basis, there are no more than 10, maybe 15, markets unserved on a nonstop basis in the west ex-LAX that could be added that are economically sensible.

There are other factors at play - the composition of regional airline fleets, the attractiveness of the U.S. as a transit point, the unwillingness of CBP to operate on a 24 hour basis, local politics, airside capacity, etc.

Finally, don't overlook the economic outlook of this region. The "west coast" - essentially, SAN to SEA - as a whole is the beneficiary of the current economic cycle. The tech sector, with those high average salaries, foreign investment (particularly from Asia), low commodity (oil) prices have fueled the growth at the major west coast airports. Next downturn will moderate the growth witnessed lately.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

thewizbizman

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:25 pm

No,

LAX has no major airlines headquarters there. LAX is a mismatch of airlines from all over the world. They cant grow LAX much larger anyways. Why would and airline put a major headquarters there when they could put them in Atlanta or Dallas and get cheaper fees?
"Aviation is the youngest big industry, but it is the fastest growing baby ever. A few years ago, it was called impossible to fly…The day of the airplane is surely here."

April 17, 1929 / C. E. Woolman

bravoindia

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Busiest? Or most people? It'll be quite a task to be busiest by movements with only 2 arrival runways. But most people anything is possible, esp considering the amount of 388s and 777s.
Jet-A, coffee, headset.

747megatop

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:44 pm

chrisp390 wrote:
I ask this question because looking at the numbers LAX has seen impressive growth in passenger numbers recently,

2016: +8.0%
2015: +6.1%
2014: +6.0%

These growth numbers are impressive, and are bigger than the growth at Beijing the past few years, as well as in Dubai a couple years. The Southern California region continues to be a hotspot for tourism, business, and immigration. No other airport in the region has managed to be a competitor to LAX in any big way, allowing them to absorb all the growth. The airport also works as an effective transit point for passengers transiting from Asia to South America. AA, DL, and UA are all wanting to make LAX a major hub, the only such airport in the country that has all 3 carriers vying to establish a hub there. Passenger traffic is already up around ~7% this year to date I believe, which would give them a total volume for 2017 of 85.5 million passengers if it holds, and over 100 million in 2020. With the ethnic diversity of Southern California, and the potential for more routes to secondary Chinese cities, Vietnam, Indonesia, and other countries around the world, could LAX become the biggest airport in the world by passenger volume?

NEVER. ORD & ATL will remain ahead unless of course UA/AA moves their hub away from ORD or DL moves away from ATL. Other airports like PEK, HKG (and maybe DEL?) will eventually catchup and surpass LAX on the not too distant future.

masgniw

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:50 pm

aaway wrote:
Geography, in its many permutations, make it unlikely that LAX becomes the world's busiest airport if considering the common metrics used for measurement.

Hugely important. Bigly, even.

In addition to the lack of expansion prospects, the current terminal setup creates a choke point at every single alleyway as only one plane can enter and exit at a time, except for behind TBIT. Yes, the Midfield Satellite will help alleviate some of this pressure. But as it currently stands, there's a fixed number of planes that can move to and from gates. Moving the current terminals and widening alleyways is an overwhelmingly major operation, which I don't see happening in a long time.

I think they could benefit from using more remote stands and busing passengers away from the central terminal. I know Americans are deeply averse to boarding any manner other than a jetway, but it could really spread out the plane traffic and get the whole system moving more efficiently.

irelayer

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:50 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:

Do you people even understand how insane you sound sometimes? No one gives a shit about if the customs experience is good.

What a flippant answer. Yes, people do care, especially if you are connecting, which is one of the topics of this thread. Especially in a country where connecting passengers have to clear immigration and customs even if they are in transit.

But thanks for your helpful response.

I haven't found customs at LAX all that bad, but I've only had 2 experiences with it, both T7.

-IR

NichCage

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:16 pm

I think that LAX looks like a huge disaster. TBIT is most likely the best terminal at the airport, while the rest of the airport seems like a dump that can't handle any more traffic.

Beijing is getting a new airport, so passengers number will fall even if all Star Alliance airlines stay at PEK while others move to the new airport. PVG is growing very fast, and so is HKG. I don't think LAX will be the busiest in the world, because they sure don't need it.

MartijnNL

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:25 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:

Do you people even understand how insane you sound sometimes? No one gives a shit about if the customs experience is good.

How insane? Sounds perfectly sane to me. A lot of people care about customs experience. Who wants to stand in line for an hour while being shouted at after spending ten hours in an aircraft? Arriving in the U.S. can indeed be a miserable experience compared to many other countries.

MartijnNL

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:36 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:
LAX is quickly approaching the limit on total number of aircraft movements it can handle.

Which you base on ______?

10 years working LAX Tower.

:checkmark: That's a good one. Thanks! :thumbsup:

United787

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 pm

The biggest constraint at LAX is geography... with no large land mass west of California (until you hit Australia or Asia), there will be limited opportunities for connections. For most people living in the US, LAX is only a good gateway for Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii and French Polynesia.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos