Topic Author

SCHIPHOL (AMS): May numbers: grow passengers and freight

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Numbers:
Passangiers: + 8,1% (6,2 million)
Freight: + 12,3%
Movements: + 4,6%

Highlights:
Of the 6,2million travelers, 4,5 million traveled within Europe, Greece leads the growth, followed by UK and Spain. On intercontinental flights 1,7 million (plus 10,9%) people, especially flights to North America. Freight: plus Far East, Latin America and Europe.

Source: (In Dutch) https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... cht-in-mei
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited spelling in title
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

777klm

Re: SCHIPHOL (AMS): May numbers: grow passagiers and freight

Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Great numbers from my hometown airport!
I guess the growth numbers for Greece and Spain have to do with the decline of tourism to Northern Africa (especially Egypt) and Turkey due to terrorism fears and political unrest in the region...?
Also I wonder when growth at AMS will stagnate due to the cap of 500k flights/year...
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

rebr

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:37 pm

If AMS continues like this they will soon overtake CDG and take second place in Europe (by passenger numbers) after LHR.

intothinair

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:34 am

I wonder if in the next 5 years FRA can claw this position back from AMS. They dont have the same constraints, and with Ryanair massively expanding from H2 onwards, its only a matter of time before LH counters with a substantial Eurowings expansion.

factsonly

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:16 am

rebr wrote:
If AMS continues like this they will soon overtake CDG and take second place in Europe (by passenger numbers) after LHR.

AMS did already......but on a monthly basis:

MAY 2017 - Passengers:

- AMS: 6.215.960 pax
- CDG: 5.953.654 pax

MAY 2017 - Movements:

- AMS: 47.146 mov.
- CDG: 41.909 mov

And...... as for LHR:

AMS was just 260.000 pax below LHR in May 2017:

- LHR: 6.476.024 pax
- AMS: 6.215.960 pax
Last edited by factsonly on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

factsonly

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:17 am

intothinair wrote:
I wonder if in the next 5 years FRA can claw this position back from AMS. They dont have the same constraints, and with Ryanair massively expanding from H2 onwards, its only a matter of time before LH counters with a substantial Eurowings expansion.

While LH is pulling 5x A380s ??

intothinair

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:39 am

factsonly wrote:
intothinair wrote:

While LH is pulling 5x A380s ??[/quothr ]

Those are being replaced with A340s if i am not mistaken, and some of the routes may increase in frequency.

A lot of it will depend on how Fraport negotiates with LCCs over the coming years. Part of the reason especially AMS has grown rapidly over past 10 years has been due to a huge influx of LCCs. FRAs LCC share is less than 1% presently.

A couple of other reasons i could think of which should drive substantial growth over coming years at FRA:

A. FRA has no slot constraints at the moment

B. German economy is on an upswing cycle, with some economists pointing to growth of >2.5% this year. This will not only benefit FRA but whole of Germany

C. Although not confirmed, rumors are increasingly strong that a lot of British Banking jobs will locate to FRA over coming years due to Brexit. With London's fantastic Banking infrastructure it remains to be seen how many Banks do really relocate jobs to Frankfurt / Paris, but if they do, this will no doubt increase business travels to the hub

D. Slot constraints at MUC. Part of the reason LH A380s are being transfered to MUC is because of the slot contraints they are facing. The same way MUC expanded rapidly in the 90s and 2000s due to severe slot shortage at FRA, the opposite seems to ring true for now (till 3rd runway is built). This could mean that LH could potentially focus on more FRA expansion over coming years.

Again, these are just my thoughts, so please dont flame me ya. Happy weekend :)

KarelXWB

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:56 am

rebr wrote:

Yes AMS management focussend a lot on growth lately. However, infrastructure is running behind which led to chaos the past few months.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos