Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:25 am

Only in Spanish :

Air Europa comienza en octubre a operar vuelos interinsulares
La compañía aérea competirá en el mercado isleño con Binter y Canaryfly

http://www.laprovincia.es/turismo/2017/ ... 50224.html

Aisak

Re: Air Europa to enter Inter Island Canary routes market from October 2017

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:51 am

Makes sense... the Spanish government pays 75% of the ticket. You can charge virtually anything and still get guaranteed income from the State.

PhilInBRN

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:16 pm

I wonder where they will get the resources from in order to build up such a substantial operation of 30 flights per day. Surely, this operation will require about 4 to 6 aircraft.
It would seem likely that they will operate the flights using ATR 72 aircraft. But as of today, they only have 5 frames of this type in their fleet, of which most are tied up by routes such as Malaga-Melilla.

SCQ83

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Aisak wrote:
Makes sense... the Spanish government pays 75% of the ticket. You can charge virtually anything and still get guaranteed income from the State.

Only for Canarias residents.

r2rho

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Operations start tomorrow:

Phase 1 - oct 2017
Starting with 3x ATR-72-500 with 68 seats based at LPA, will grow to 5xAT72 by october 2018.
First flights will be to TFN, FUE, ACE.

Phase 2 - mar 2018
Adding TFN-SPC and increasing frequencies.

Phase 3 - oct 2018
Adding TFN to FUE, ACE and VDE.

http://diariodeavisos.elespanol.com/201 ... -canarias/

Galwayman

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:12 pm

I flew Lanzarotte > Las Palmas years ago on Air Europa . 737. Pretty empty , maybe aircraft was repositioning but they were selling tickets

PatrickZ80

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:24 pm

Galwayman wrote:
I flew Lanzarotte > Las Palmas years ago on Air Europa . 737. Pretty empty , maybe aircraft was repositioning but they were selling tickets

Of course they were selling tickets, some income is better than no income at all.

Anyway, this means competition for Binter. I wonder what equipment they'll use on this route.

Galwayman

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:58 pm

So it's not new then , they've been flying intra Canaries for at least a decade

OA260
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Galwayman wrote:
So it's not new then , they've been flying intra Canaries for at least a decade

They had odd flights that would route combining two Islands with the mainland and sell seats on all sectors as it was a Domestic flight. Nothing like the regular flights being launched now and certainly not a base.

steman

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:11 pm

I´ve flown ACE-LPA on Canaryfly last June and it cost me 40 Euros one way with a 23kg hold luggage included. And I´m not a resident. Fares for non residents are already pretty low and competitive even with ferries. I hope Air Europa won't force Canaryfly out of business.

OA260
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:18 pm

steman wrote:
I´ve flown ACE-LPA on Canaryfly last June and it cost me 40 Euros one way with a 23kg hold luggage included. And I´m not a resident. Fares for non residents are already pretty low and competitive even with ferries. I hope Air Europa won't force Canaryfly out of business.

I always use Binter for ACE-LPA/TFN . The two times I tried to fly with Canaryfly they cancelled the flights so my first impressions were not good. They do not have the same reliability as Binter with whom I have never had any issues with. Still I would not want to see them pushed out. I do intend to try out the new Air Europa service though maybe in the next few months. The attraction of Binter is they also have a interline agreement and through ticketing with Iberia.

PatrickZ80

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:42 pm

What I'm wondering about, why do all these inter island flights use Tenerife North as their Tenerife destination? Never saw any inter island flights at Tenerife South. Seems odd to me since South is the biggest of the two and therefor has the most connections.

I think these inter-island flights are a good thing for tourists staying on one island and wanting to visit another island for a day. They can just fly there in the morning and back in the late afternoon or evening. No need for checked luggage on such trips and large hand luggage won't be an issue either.

OA260
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:51 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

I think these inter-island flights are a good thing for tourists staying on one island and wanting to visit another island for a day. They can just fly there in the morning and back in the late afternoon or evening. No need for checked luggage on such trips and large hand luggage won't be an issue either.

These flights are a vital part of the economy of the Canary Islands. They are firstly for residents of the Islands who do business,work,study between the Islands. Even travelling for medical treatment and appointments. Picking up the tourists is an added bonus.

runway23

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:09 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
What I'm wondering about, why do all these inter island flights use Tenerife North as their Tenerife destination? Never saw any inter island flights at Tenerife South. Seems odd to me since South is the biggest of the two and therefor has the most connections.

Pretty simple the south of the island is where all the tourists are/go the North is where the main population centre is and largest city - Santa Cruz de Tenerife. TFS caters for the tourists whilst TFN has always catered to inter island traffic and Spanish mainland domestic flights. Only recently has binter started LPA-TFS and that is Only a daily flight. More recently others have started flying to TFS from mainland Spain but at limited frequencies compared to TFN.

Aisak

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:20 pm

OA260 wrote:
The attraction of Binter is they also have a interline agreement and through ticketing with Iberia.

I've always seen this relationship kind of bizarre. I know Binter Canarias is a spin-off from Iberia. They even retain the IBB code. At least you cant accrue Avios on Iberia Plus flying on them.

Now at least the IBB code is seen on codeshares to Spanish mainland on Air Europa flights. It would be interesting to see if they last.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
No need for checked luggage on such trips and large hand luggage won't be an issue either.

Ohh, the joys of regional aviation. Due to the limited space onboard the aircraft, some regionals issue tags to identify large cabin baggage (roll-ons mainly) and the are handed in at the tarmac and received upon alnding also at tarmac. I love flying Air Nostrum for this little perk

PhilInBRN wrote:
It would seem likely that they will operate the flights using ATR 72 aircraft. But as of today, they only have 5 frames of this type in their fleet, of which most are tied up by routes such as Malaga-Melilla.

I had no recollection of Air Europa serving Melilla... What I remember is them doing Seville-Almeria when the Essential AirService was not in place. When it was, it was awarded to IB Regional Air Nostrum.

It seems as of October next year, all ATR wearing the Aer Europa livery (i think only one is onwed by the former Aeronova) will be based in Canaries as said by r2rho

Markie73

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:10 am

Back in the 1980's and into the mid 90's I remember seeing Iberia operating the intra-island shuttles in the Canaries with A300's,Boeing 727-200 and also the DC-9, and also on occasion the Boeing 747-200 would pick up some slack in between it's flights from Madrid to Las Palmas.

Also I remember seeing a small airline called Linas Canarias which operated intra-island flights from Las Palmas using Vickers Viscounts (this was around 1987), does anybody know what happened to this airline?.

OA260
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:20 am

Markie73 wrote:
Back in the 1980's and into the mid 90's I remember seeing Iberia operating the intra-island shuttles in the Canaries with A300's,Boeing 727-200 and also the DC-9, and also on occasion the Boeing 747-200 would pick up some slack in between it's flights from Madrid to Las Palmas.

Also I remember seeing a small airline called Linas Canarias which operated intra-island flights from Las Palmas using Vickers Viscounts (this was around 1987), does anybody know what happened to this airline?.

Great days. I was lucky enough to fly the IB B742. ( Not Domestically ) though. Also the DC-10's turned up at peak times.

Seems Líneas Aéreas Canarias was bought by Meridiana Air in 1991 with crew and fleet being integrated into that airline.

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Seems UX will reduce some flights from Winter timetable. The early morning ACE-LPA on some days is being axed. Seems Binter is holding their own.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos