11725Flyer

Re: The Mighty 757

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 am

I was an early and frequent customer on Eastern's 757s. I'll miss it when it's gone.

777Jet

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:14 am

PEK777 wrote:
What is your favorite thing about it?

Its look & performance.

Sad that not many visit Australia. The only one I can think of is one wearing DHL livery that flys AKL-SYD.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

fly4ever78

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:44 am

I'm always amazed why people on here love the 757 so much. As a pilot... amazing airplane in nearly every way. As a passenger... horrendous. Narrow cabin, seats, aisle, SUPER hot in the back in the summer, and fumigation during engine starts. I mean it's always been a pretty crappy plane to ride in the back of. I think it's because they have been discontinued now that people are getting nostalgic.

tjerome

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:53 am

Only thing I dislike about the 757 is it's height off the ground. It requires a ladder for someone of my height (5'5") to get the ground power hooked up, and requires the belt loader to be positioned in order to open the cargo doors.

Other than those things I love the 757. Can handle a lot of volume and still get the job done.

Also these are the best sounding engines on the 757 that I've ever heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9vUiItDrjg

fallap

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:27 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
fallap wrote:
Do you guys think Boeing might restart the production of the 757? I think it got potential.

The 757 was discontinued because no-one would but it. This was not a quick decision. It's a 1982 airplane. I love it too. Time to move on. The NMA should be a great replacement.

Boeing just need to rebuild the tooling, add new wings and engines. It's gonna be a game changer. Trust me, I'm an expert.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

BG777300ER

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:37 pm

fly4ever78 wrote:
I'm always amazed why people on here love the 757 so much. As a pilot... amazing airplane in nearly every way. As a passenger... horrendous. Narrow cabin, seats, aisle, SUPER hot in the back in the summer, and fumigation during engine starts. I mean it's always been a pretty crappy plane to ride in the back of. I think it's because they have been discontinued now that people are getting nostalgic.

Thank you! Smell like old carpet, and blue juice. Horrible air circulation. I'm ready for it to go away.

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:53 pm

fallap wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
fallap wrote:
Do you guys think Boeing might restart the production of the 757? I think it got potential.

The 757 was discontinued because no-one would but it. This was not a quick decision. It's a 1982 airplane. I love it too. Time to move on. The NMA should be a great replacement.

Boeing just need to rebuild the tooling, add new wings and engines. It's gonna be a game changer. Trust me, I'm an expert.

Since you're an expert, maybe you should be president of Boeing Commercial Airplanes since you obviously know so much more about developing airplanes, and the market for various models than they do.

Why don't you tell us about the Avionics architecture of the 757, and what would need to be done to make it competitive, Mr. Expert. I'm sure you clearly know. ;)

Zidane

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm no expert, but I've always felt that the 757 flightdeck looked a tad more advanced and ergonomic than its 737 counterpart. The recent flat panel retrofits to the 757 I find, looks phenomenal.

For instance, the overhead panel uses pushbutton and light indicator technology. It also provides the pilots with EICAS messages for quick troubleshooting.

The removal of the trim wheel also looks less clunky and may give pilots a smoother ride to stretch out. Lastly, there's also room for two jumpseaters.

From a pilot's perspective, it must truly be a unique aircraft for its class. A narrow body bird with a widebody's cockpit, wow!

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Zidane wrote:
I'm no expert, but I've always felt that the 757 flightdeck looked a tad more advanced and ergonomic than its 737 counterpart. The recent flat panel retrofits to the 757 I find, looks phenomenal.

For instance, the overhead panel uses pushbutton and light indicator technology. It also provides the pilots with EICAS messages for quick troubleshooting.

The removal of the trim wheel also looks less clunky and may give pilots a smoother ride to stretch out. Lastly, there's also room for two jumpseaters.

From a pilot's perspective, it must truly be a unique aircraft for its class. A narrow body bird with a widebody's cockpit, wow!

The 757 has always had EICAS from the start in 1982. The 757 never had the trim wheel. The overhead has always had pushbutton and light indicator technology. It's always had room for two jumpseaters, although the second observer's seat was optional at one time.

It's still a 1982 flight deck, with some Avionics upgrades over the years.

sgbroimp

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:20 pm

OldAeroGuy wrote:
Always a soft spot in my heart for this airplane as I was involved with its design from the earliest days (7N7) through preliminary design, wind tunnel testing, detail design, flight testing, certification and delivery.

You never forget your first.

And if I recall correctly, you guys certified the 767 and 757 only about 6 months apart which was a new record at the time and may still stand. (Amazing!) Also I think the 757 had the best max rate of climb, maybe still does with all the econo stuff in today's birds....

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:28 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
OldAeroGuy wrote:
Always a soft spot in my heart for this airplane as I was involved with its design from the earliest days (7N7) through preliminary design, wind tunnel testing, detail design, flight testing, certification and delivery.

You never forget your first.

And if I recall correctly, you guys certified the 767 and 757 only about 6 months apart which was a new record at the time and may still stand. (Amazing!) Also I think the 757 had the best max rate of climb, maybe still does with all the econo stuff in today's birds....

Not sure what "econo stuff" you are referring to. All airplanes including the 757 have derated climb selections. You can just as easily select the 20% fixed climb derate on the 757 as any other Boeing airplane.

However, the 757 does have a high power to weight ratio so does have a good rate of climb, but not for the reasons that you state. :)

JannEejit

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Zidane wrote:

The 757 has always had EICAS from the start in 1982. The 757 never had the trim uwheel. The overhead has always had pushbutton and light indicator technology. It's always had room for two jumpseaters, although the second observer's seat was optional at one time.

Indeed it is, I recall the BBC News report marvelling at the state of the art two man glass cockpit back in early '83 when BA started flying 757's.

IADCA

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:36 pm

There are some people on this thread getting trolled pretty hard.

That said, there are also a lot of nice reminiscences about the 757. Personally, I've been enjoying seeing the 753s that UA has now been running on DCA-SFO. They're a nice change from an otherwise pretty monotonous lineup of daily traffic.

BoeingGuy

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:41 pm

JannEejit wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
Zidane wrote:

The 757 has always had EICAS from the start in 1982. The 757 never had the trim uwheel. The overhead has always had pushbutton and light indicator technology. It's always had room for two jumpseaters, although the second observer's seat was optional at one time.

Indeed it is, I recall the BBC News report marvelling at the state of the art two man glass cockpit back in early '83 when BA started flying 757's.

That's correct. The 757/767 were the first EICAS airplanes and first so called glass flight decks in 1982. They also had very advanced Flight Management Computers and full Cat 3B autoland capability.

That's the point I've been trying to make to the "experts" who think the airplane should be resurrected or was a mistake to stop producing it. It is an amazing start of the art airplane - for 1982.

ual777

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Zidane wrote:

You're not wrong. It's a MUCH more comfortable cockpit than the 737. Aside from the instruments being a little dated by today's standards, it's a much better setup. The 757 is surprisingly automated given it's age.

Other than that, some observations from flying the 757:

The cockpit in general is much more quiet than the 737, though the air conditioning ducts on some of them can be quite loud.

It handflies really well, though quite different than the 767. The 757 is really tight on the controls and requires some "oomph" when rotating, whereas the 767 is much lighter and more pitch sensitive.

It is an absolute rocketship when empty.

It is a pretty slippery aircraft compared to others I've flown, if you intercept the glideslope and aren't at flaps 20, you will accelerate at idle on approach. Thus it's important to be mindful and ahead of the airplane.

It often has pretty slow approach speeds at flaps 30 if you aren't heavy. It handles crosswinds really well and is relatively easy to land (with the exception of below).

Due to the cockpit's position, the sight picture is different than most other aircraft. When on a visual, you aim point is higher in the windscreen than other aircraft and that takes a little getting used to.

If I could change one thing, it would be about 2-3 extra inches of legroom with the seat all the way back. If you're tall on a long flight you can't totally stretch your legs....but just barely.

The 757 is an absolute blast to fly and I will miss it.
Last edited by ual777 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

UPS757Pilot

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:45 pm

ual777 wrote:
Zidane wrote:

You're not wrong. It's a MUCH more comfortable cockpit than the 737. Aside from the instruments being a little dated by today's standards, it's a much better setup. The 757 is surprisingly automated given it's age.

Other than that, some observations from flying the 757:

The cockpit in general is much more quiet than the 737, though the air conditioning ducts on some of them can be quite loud.

It handflies really well, though quite different than the 767. The 757 is really tight on the controls and requires some "oomph" when rotating, whereas the 767 is much lighter and more pitch sensitive.

It is an absolute rocketship when empty.

It is a pretty slippery aircraft compared to others I've flown, if you intercept the glideslope and aren't at flaps 20, you will accelerate at idle on approach. Thus it's important to be mindful and ahead of the airplane.

It often has pretty slow approach speeds at flaps 30 if you aren't heavy. It handles crosswinds really well and is relatively easy to land (with the exception of below).

Due to the cockpit's position, the sight picture is different than most other aircraft. When on a visual, you aim point is higher in the windscreen than other aircraft and that takes a little getting used to.

If I could change one thing, it would be about 2-3 extra inches of legroom with the seat all the way back. If you're tall on a long flight you can't totally stretch your legs....but just barely.

The 757 is an absolute blast to fly and I will miss it.

Yeah I totally agree with that. Definitely a little more strength required on the 757 vs. 767 on rotation. Both hand fly very well, but the 767 is mush lighter especially with pitch and roll with the outboard ailerons.

Need more legroom is right! And loud like you stated. We routinely turn off a pack at cruise to mitigate the pack noise issue. Just a joy to fly.

garpd

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Just remembered my most memorable moment on a 757.

Monarch Airlines, B752, MCO-GLA Direct, June 24 1994. It's getting dark outside and the Flight attendant asks me and my cousin if I want to visit the flight deck. Of course the answer was yes.
While on the flight deck, I could see out the windows and it was magical. The dusk sky was absolutely exhilarating. You could even make out the flashing beacons of a plane the pilots told us was 20 miles ahead.
One of the pilots then asked us if we wanted to see something cool. The answer was a unanimous yes. He flicked a switch and every light and switch on the instrument panel and overhead lit up like a christmas tree. Must have been the test button he used.

To date, that was my only in flight visit to the flight deck. I had a long dry spell of no flights between 1995 and 2005. So missed any opportunities before the aftermath of 9/11. Shame.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Fixinthe757

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:53 pm

holzmann wrote:
The acceleration and climb out on a 75X always *feels* more exhilarating than any other AC.

Having worked on the 757 for over 8 years and going on the majority of the test flights of the planes I worked on I always enjoyed sitting in the cockpit and the takeoffs....Then I started working on the 777's.... Again being in the cockpit for the test flights, the first one was quite the treat. 2000 feet of runway for takeoff! Literally. Even the right seat captain (rated) was impressed. But yes, the 757 is still an amazing looking plane, esp with the winglets. Would like to see it be reborn, but sadly that will likely never happen.

DaufuskieGuy

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:30 am

its short field/high altitude performance is unmatched i don't think flights from EGE JAC Steamboat to east coast are going to work on the 737/320 unless mucho seat blocking.

jplatts

Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:18 am

I have flown AA 757's twice, once from SEA-DFW back in August 2006 and once from DFW-STL in January 2009. I haven't been on a Boeing 757 since then, but I have been on AA MD-80's, American Eagle regional jets, AA Boeing 737-800's, and AA Airbus A321's in the last 10 years.

Max Q

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:19 am

Interesting to hear people rave about the handling on the 757, they must have never flown the 727, that was the finest handling narrowbody ever made.
The 75 is a truck in comparison, it has a lot of thrust and handles reasonably well.

The 767 is a far better flying aircraft.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

GatorClark

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:36 am

airzona11 wrote:
Will never forget my first time onboard one, turning left after boarding our HP 757 to ORD, cant beat it!

Thats actually kind of funny because my first ever 757 flight was on a UA 757 out of DCA bound for ORD.. I wasn't even supposed to be on it, but my flight from CLT-ORD was canceled after several delays due to weather in Chicago and I was rerouted into DCA from CLT to catch United to O'hare. And this was all post US/HP merger. We took off from RWY 19 and I think somebody must have told the pilot to fly it like a fighter because thats exactly what that takeoff felt like.. ive never felt such downforce on takeoff as I have on that flight.. We made it up to our FL410 cruise altitude fairly quickly.. Every one of my flights on a 757 has been a pleasant flight and has given me fond memories.. In my opinion it is definately one of the best planes ever built. And I absolutely love the RR powered ones.

strfyr51

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 am

holzmann wrote:
Flew a UA 753 from SFO to DCA back in mid May. Was my first 753 journey. Wow, it feels like a long plane. Deplaning from the rear is a PITA and perhaps the longest deplaning I've ever experienced. That said, when the throttles were put all the way forward on the SFO parallels, it still felt like we were going somewhere with a purpose. The acceleration and climb out on a 75X always *feels* more exhilarating than any other AC.

I fly a B757-300 about 2X a month between ORD and SFO. I like the airplane except that it flies Nose up nearly the entire flight.. Other than that? It's comfortable.
I'm not a big single aisle fan because they seem claustrophobic, more so than a wide body loaded to the same level and we seem to be flying 90-95% full these days.
(I work for UAL BTW)

Bavd

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:11 am

afterburner wrote:
PEK777 wrote:
this aircraft deserves a thread

This aircraft deserves its own forum. :sarcastic:

It has! http://www.topix.com/forum/aircraft/boeing-757

afterburner

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:36 am

Bavd wrote:
afterburner wrote:
PEK777 wrote:
this aircraft deserves a thread

This aircraft deserves its own forum. :sarcastic:

It has! http://www.topix.com/forum/aircraft/boeing-757

I mean in A.net. :D

ual777

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Max Q wrote:
Interesting to hear people rave about the handling on the 757, they must have never flown the 727, that was the finest handling narrowbody ever made.
The 75 is a truck in comparison, it has a lot of thrust and handles reasonably well.

Nope, never flew the 727 or the Ford Trimotor for that matter. :D

The 767 flies well, but I prefer the tighter/heavier feel of the 757.

GaryDay

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:11 pm

Flown on so many of these fantastic birds around Europe over the past 25 years or so. One even took us on our honeymoon (g-bpea, Caledonian LGW to LPA) in 1991. Last flew on one 2 years ago with Thomson, the interior was falling to pieces but the performance was still there!!!!

OldAeroGuy

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:25 pm

richiemo wrote:
While I believe the 727 is ultimately the most beautiful bird ever, in the modern era it's definitely the '57. I always loved the way the windshield molds so nicely and effortlessly into her fuselage. And the way the engines look a little too big for her fuselage, but that's part of the beauty. Basically, she is not a heavy per se, but she b*lls like no other. The steep takeoff climb, and the way both PW and RR engines sound on takeoff. For 20 years I haven't been able to figure out which sound I like best. Simply a perfect aircraft with perfect lines. I've always viewed the '57, '67 and '77 as brothers. The '57 and '77 as the handsome, athletic bros, with the '67 being the typical middle child. Little clumsy, not as handsome and a little awkward.

Since I was heavily involved with the 757 and 777 designs but did almost no work on the 767, I have to agree with you.
Airplane design is easy, the difficulty is getting them to fly - Barnes Wallis

Max Q

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:12 am

ual777 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Well sonny, you missed out.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

ual777

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:06 am

Max Q wrote:
ual777 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

I kid of course. Heard nothing but good things about the 727, except for the landings.

Max Q

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:34 am

ual777 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
ual777 wrote:

I kid of course. Heard nothing but good things about the 727, except for the landings.

Yes it was a sweet machine to fly and soaked up turbulence like a hot knife through butter, you did have to pay close attention on landing.

dennypayne

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:15 am

ual777 wrote:

My stepdad (DL 757/767 captain) also mentioned once that on one of them you had to apply forward pressure on the yoke to get the nosewheel down on landing, while the other was essentially the opposite - you had to hold the nose off or it could plonk down pretty rudely. I don't remember which was which though...

ual777 wrote:

He also noted that if ATC didn't start you down soon enough, that the 757 could be a little troublesome to slow down because of that "slippery" quality as well. :)
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT72 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788
CR2/7/9 D8S D9S D95 DHC2/3/7/8 D328 E110/120/135/140/145/170/175/190
F100 J31 L1011 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 S340 SSJ100 T134/154 Y42

Max Q

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:25 am

The 757 nose will come down very firmly on landing if you're not careful, it requires some finesse to put it down gently, whereas the 767
nose is very easily controlled all the way down, you certainly don't need to apply forward pressure.

strfyr51

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 am

The B757 isn't going to disappear, By the time the B797 is working Boeing will get ready with a Digital Fly By Wire version of the B757. Because the airplane is a great airplane for Transcon service. Though it might be superseded by the B797 though that all depends on the Market in the 2020 time frame.

Max Q

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:39 am

Nice idea St but I don't think so !

garpd

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:11 am

Yeah, sadly that won't happen. As much as I adore the 757, I know it has had its day. It'll be a while before it fully disappears, but it's closer to the end than the beginning.
All good things must come to an end.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

exFWAOONW

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:52 am

I always called it a jump jet. Watching it rotate on take-off, it seemed to jump about 15' into the air before climbing away, compared to other a/c that slowly lifted off the runway.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

jetblastdubai

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:03 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
It was my favorite aircraft to fly ever. Even more than the 787!

Great video of 787 at high altitude over Russia at FL 330. You might have to change your 'favorite' list.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/incredible ... g-10708372
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

mikegigs

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:47 pm

I think L2 door was definitely one of my favorite parts, that and the accompanying mid-cabin lav and occasional mid-cabin galley. I always thought it gave a wide-body feel on the aircraft. Plus I loved the exclusivity of the F cablin it provided (that coming from someone who has never even sat up there!). I hope UA, DL, and AA keep them around till the end of time!
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a looong way to go!

CriticalPoint

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:01 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
It was my favorite aircraft to fly ever. Even more than the 787!

Great video of 787 at high altitude over Russia at FL 330. You might have to change your 'favorite' list.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/incredible ... g-10708372

The chemtrail system on the 787 is a better than on the 757.

aacun

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:24 am

Ok. So I will join the list and say this is by far my favorite airplane. I was on Eastern's inaugural ATL-TPA flight. And even though I was very young, I knew back then that would become my favorite airplane. I love working the cabin of the 757. That sensation of maximum power you can only feel on that airplane on take off. Early days in St. Thomas when the runway had just been expanded enough to accommodate the airplane. That was impressive. And most recently taking off from La Paz, Bolivia. This is how an airplane is meant to handle.

I am not sure if this has been brought up, but when Eastern announced the airplane, there were renditions on Easterns newspaper the Falcon.... and the initial plan was for the 757 to have a T back tail like the DC9 had. A couple on months later it was announced that the design had been changed to the final design that we all got to love. I had these newspapers but unfortunately mom threw then away when I left home. Can anyone shed more light on this matter?

Aptivaboy

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:48 am

It was actually originally supposed to have a T-Tail and a 707/727/737-family nose, too! Anyway, that's what early concepts and artwork had. The nose that we all know and love was added later in the design phase.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/so-l ... id=1&pid=1

http://airchive.com/html/museums/boeing ... rate/19050

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos