Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Schweigend

Re: UA's NYC Taxi Cab Marketing Scheme

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:49 am

Fascinating.

A short quote from the linked article (fair use):

With the help of United's ad agency of record McGarryBowen New York, the airline has installed taxi tops on 125 cabs throughout the city that — in real time — showing the travel times from a cab's location to both JFK and Newark airports.

Of course, United (NYSE: UAL) and McGarry introduced the taxi tops only after they had done their research and realized that almost invariably travel times to Newark are notably shorter than those to JFK — usually at least 30 minutes shorter. Sometimes a lot more.

A spokeswoman for the agency acknowledged that the possibility exists the taxi tops could at some moments display a shorter travel time to JFK.

The digital displays on the taxi tops are synced with the Curb traffic app and updated in real time with every change in a taxi's position and changing traffic patterns. Verifone Media and Kinetic also worked to bring the taxi top project to fruition.

This is clever and honest.

It will be very interesting to see what the "taxi tops" display as the cabs ply their way to and fro across the City -- I wonder if these 125 cabs will be restricted mostly to Manhattan.

UA777EWRTLV

United unveils clever, new ad campaign in NYC

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:50 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news ... j=78410861

"United Airlines has come up with an unusually clever way to try and convince New York City residents (a hard group to convince if there ever were one) that the Chicago-based carrier's major hub at Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark, New Jersey really is more readily accessible than John F. Kennedy International Airport, another principal New York area airport on Long Island where a number of international and long-haul domestic flights operated by United's competitors depart from daily.

With the help of United's ad agency of record McGarryBowen New York, the airline has installed taxi tops on 125 cabs throughout the city that — in real time — showing the travel times from a cab's location to both JFK and Newark airports.

Of course, United (NYSE: UAL) and McGarry introduced the taxi tops only after they had done their research and realized that almost invariably travel times to Newark are notably shorter than those to JFK — usually at least 30 minutes shorter. Sometimes a lot more.

A spokeswoman for the agency acknowledged that the possibility exists the taxi tops could at some moments display a shorter travel time to JFK.

The digital displays on the taxi tops are synced with the Curb traffic app and updated in real time with every change in a taxi's position and changing traffic patterns. Verifone Media and Kinetic also worked to bring the taxi top project to fruition.

pbody

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 pm

I have seen a few of these. Once it only displayed a difference of 1 minute. I hope to see one showing JFK as quicker however as a Manhattan resident it is undoubtable that EWR is quicker and easier to get to.

horsepowerchef

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:00 pm

One would think that someone living in NY would have a very good idea as to how long it takes to get to either airport...

airlinereporter

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Saw this a few weeks ago, but oddly it wasn't at all accurate.

Time from here to EWR: 46 minutes

Time from here to JFK: 56 minutes

However, Google Maps said EWR was only 27 minutes away...

Mir

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:05 pm

horsepowerchef wrote:
One would think that someone living in NY would have a very good idea as to how long it takes to get to either airport...

Someone living in NY would know that any travel time to any airport is a rough estimate at best, and that traffic can make a short journey into a very long one or a long one into a short one. As far as I'm concerned, JFK and EWR are equal in terms of travel time from Manhattan. If you knew what the traffic conditions were going to be on the day of your departure (which, obviously, you don't), you could book based on that if you really wanted the shortest trip to the airport.

Still an innovative marketing campaign by United though.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LOWS

Re: UNITED, new NYC area outdoor advertising

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Does someone want to grab a photo of some of these brilliant and/or horrible ads?

ctnyc12

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:01 am

tphuang wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
tphuang wrote:

A normal afternoon experience to EWR for me on public transport has been an hour from penn station to the terminal (including the wait time for the train itself) and whatever amount of time it takes to get to penn station. Now try coming back to upper east side for a late night flight. The trains come once an hour by then and you have to figure out how to get home from penn station.

The main difference between the 2 airport is you have the option of E train when lirr/njt are not around. For example, on saturday/sunday afternoon at EWR, just checking the schedule now, there are trains coming through at 6, 15 and 18 minutes after an hour. Imagine if you get to the train station at 20 minutes after an hour, that's a nice 45 minutes wait. And I've been at the end of that and also the hour long wait for the last train of the night. Not an issue with subway.

I agree that the NJT schedule is illogical from EWR on weekends... but you can always take the bus from EWR to Times Square/Grand Central, and since it is the weekend, the traffic isn't terrible, maybe with the exception of Sunday afternoon... I live on the UES and frequently fly into EWR late on Sunday nights since my family lives out West. Using the bus (which leaves every 15 minutes until like 1am), and then getting on the 6 train at GCT, I have gotten home in under an hour from the time I walked off the plane.

JFK is a breeze when the E train is running properly, however with the current state of the NYC subway system, that has become a rare occurrence... I go to/from JFK at least once a every other week for work mainly taking mass transit. In my experience, from the UES, EWR on average is a quicker trip, especially with the addition of the Second Ave Subway.

Traffic is a tossup and entirely dependent on the time of day. I have had miserable experiences getting to/from both airports and the UES ... It has taken me two-plus hours to get to and from either airport. Nothing is guaranteed.

The accessibility of all NYC airports from Manhattan is pathetic and that isn't going to change anytime soon..

adamblang

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 am

LOWS wrote:
Does someone want to grab a photo of some of these brilliant and/or horrible ads?

There's one in the linked article on page 1 of this thread.

jetblastdubai

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:17 am

horsepowerchef wrote:

Whether EWR is a shorter or longer trip from Manhattan versus JFK, people are going to look every time just out of curiosity. I'm sure UA and their ad agency know that they're going to get loads of product awareness if nothing else.

VC10er
Topic Author

New United NYC taxi top Ads

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:34 pm

Recently I have noticed many, many new taxi top ads that have been almost overtaken by new United ads. I started a thread many months ago about the last batch of ads which I though were truly awful in many ways. Aside from ugly, and utilizing a dreary dark blue, they also had ad lines that I personally felt were very misleading...mostly about Polaris at a time when experiencing Polaris out of EWR was virtually impossible (except for the blankets and enhanced menu, etc) but no seat, no Polaris club.

These new ads are much nicer looking (not fabulous, but much better) and boast a handful of claims like "most flat bed seats than any other airline", or "more international destinations served from Newark" than the unnamed competition, but the interesting BIG PUSH is an effort to eradicate the perception that Newark is far away in another state. Many ads that compare what they claim as a longer and more traffic burdened trip to JFK. Also, along with static ads there are going to be 150 taxis fitted with a taxi top sign that is connected to a GPS system that has a digital display showing the travel time to JFK and EWR, in real time, from the particular taxi you are looking at. That can't be an inexpensive thing to do, and (I assume) could be a logistical and technical challenge. One that carries some risk.

https://www.psfk.com/2017/07/united-air ... rport.html

It will be interesting to see if these ads move the needle in terms of perception. I am sure they will attempt to quantify the efficacy of this campaign as successful through on-going quant tracking research. It reminds me of when Tylenol and other non-aspirin brands that kept saying "and it wont upset your stomach like aspirin"...the other brands created that perception about aspirin which wasn't actually true. They just said it over and over so much that perception became reality (I worked for the ad agency that started that). In a very short period of time, people who were always fine with aspirin were suddenly all stricken with upset stomachs from taking them! Perhaps, if UA is successful at hammering away at this New Yorkers (and business folk) will start saying over dinner "you know, Newark is actually much closer than JFK"

I know many here dispute this passionately, so for the record: I am NOT opining one way or the other. I live in the West Village, so Newark is indeed very convenient for me via UBER, I wouldn't expect the same thing from my friend on 77th and Lex!

Thanks everyone.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Super80Fan

Re: New United NYC taxi top Ads

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:38 pm

This might be new with the current United, but this actually goes back to Continental, I remember one time in the city I basically saw nothing but Continental ads on pay phones, bus stops, the subway, taxis etc.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

stlgph

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:38 pm

I work at 60/Lexington. I fly routinely for work out of all 3 airports and yes, I have made it to Newark in less time than LaGuardia and JFK.

I am not sure why posting real travel times on top of a taxi is a challenge. I can look at my phone and get the same information in 5 seconds.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

VC10er
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:41 pm

stlgph wrote:
I work at 60/Lexington. I fly routinely for work out of all 3 airports and yes, I have made it to Newark in less time than LaGuardia and JFK.

I am not sure why posting real travel times on top of a taxi is a challenge. I can look at my phone and get the same information in 5 seconds.

I think that when it comes to technology like this, as reliable as it is on our smart phones, I have a "perception" that big programs like this carry risks of system failures, or watchdog groups finding in accuracies. That said, it may work perfectly, and I applaud the bold move.

stlgph

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Well technology can always fail. As long as someone doesn't hack the system and take it over with messages such as "HIV-POZ Zombies Are Coming For You," or something along those lines, they should be fine.

On the other hand, that might bring them the attention they need and higher retention rates as most New Yorkers aren't looking at the top of taxi ads, they're looking at their damn cell phones while walking down the street.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jetblastdubai

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 pm

As an outside observer it seems that there's a fairly vocal contingent of elitist, hard-core New Yorkers (city) that would avoid anything associated with the word "New Jersey" or "Newark" regardless of convenience or travel time.

Would it help soften the EWR/NJ negative image problem if UA would market the airport as simply "Liberty" and leave out any reference to Newark?

airzona11

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm

What great marketing!

jfklganyc

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:17 pm

VC10er wrote:
Recently I have noticed many, many new taxi top ads that have been almost overtaken by new United ads. I started a thread many months ago about the last batch of ads which I though were truly awful in many ways. Aside from ugly, and utilizing a dreary dark blue, they also had ad lines that I personally felt were very misleading...mostly about Polaris at a time when experiencing Polaris out of EWR was virtually impossible (except for the blankets and enhanced menu, etc) but no seat, no Polaris club.

These new ads are much nicer looking (not fabulous, but much better) and boast a handful of claims like "most flat bed seats than any other airline", or "more international destinations served from Newark" than the unnamed competition, but the interesting BIG PUSH is an effort to eradicate the perception that Newark is far away in another state. Many ads that compare what they claim as a longer and more traffic burdened trip to JFK. Also, along with static ads there are going to be 150 taxis fitted with a taxi top sign that is connected to a GPS system that has a digital display showing the travel time to JFK and EWR, in real time, from the particular taxi you are looking at. That can't be an inexpensive thing to do, and (I assume) could be a logistical and technical challenge. One that carries some risk.

https://www.psfk.com/2017/07/united-air ... rport.html

It will be interesting to see if these ads move the needle in terms of perception. I am sure they will attempt to quantify the efficacy of this campaign as successful through on-going quant tracking research. It reminds me of when Tylenol and other non-aspirin brands that kept saying "and it wont upset your stomach like aspirin"...the other brands created that perception about aspirin which wasn't actually true. They just said it over and over so much that perception became reality (I worked for the ad agency that started that). In a very short period of time, people who were always fine with aspirin were suddenly all stricken with upset stomachs from taking them! Perhaps, if UA is successful at hammering away at this New Yorkers (and business folk) will start saying over dinner "you know, Newark is actually much closer than JFK"

I know many here dispute this passionately, so for the record: I am NOT opining one way or the other. I live in the West Village, so Newark is indeed very convenient for me via UBER, I wouldn't expect the same thing from my friend on 77th and Lex!

Thanks everyone.

It's actually not much closer though. It could be neglible or it could actually be a lot longer to EWR. All depends on the tunnels and time of day.

This isnt some new thing that NYers need to discover.

Nor has anything changed to make NYers rediscover.

My buddy lives in Murray Hill. Avid UA flyer. EWR is closer, yada yada.

Just got a job at EWR for UA.

"Thinking of moving to Harrison. Up and coming. Close to work."

What happened?

"Costs too much, takes too long, Airtrain is always down for maintenance"

Ah...

If you go by taxi, you have to pay for trip back to NYC

If you go by train, longer, more expensive, less frequent service, Airtrain EWR less reliable

If you go by any car, 2 nightmare tunnels await you.

Yes the Van Wyck sucks.

But NYers arent idiots...there is a reason EWR is deemed further

VC10er
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Speaking first hand as a New York City snob, I have zero prejudice against New Liberty international airport, or Newark. I do have some other negative associations stemming from visiting my late parents who lived in Englishtown NJ, in a retirement community and Route 9 being nothing but a series of strip malls and traffic jams, and very long lines at the supermarket. (the Chris Cristy MEMES notwithstanding) I am simply not a suburbs kind of person, but southern NJ is spectacular! But when I am off to fly (business or pleasure) it really makes no difference, even though JFK holds a warm spot in my heart. My issues with Newark airport are more structural in essence. I do like TC concourses, and love the new TSA lanes, but it stops there. My primary issue with United is the fact that Newark is taking them WAY too long to upgrade...no new lounges, no Polaris lounge and old aircraft (unrefurbished) with old hard product. I tease my BFF who lives in SF that he gets all of United's good stuff. (and he couldn't care less!)

Back to the ads: I was told by one of the great sages of Madison Ave that the glamorous days of having a major airline as an account are long, long over. Over are the days of wild creativity and TV ads fighting to make the airline you work on different, better and sexy. Today it's very difficult to get their best Creative Directors Copywriters to work on airline accounts because basically it's come down to making tactical, plain outdoor and print ads with and ad line in bold type about destinations, lie flat seats or even worse; sales or low fares. Perhaps there are cases when briefs for new taglines to replace old famous ones come about, but with all the consolidation there isn't much need, nor are award winning TV spots as they move consumers very little even if they love the ad. (I think PMUA experienced this with those great illustrative ads...people loved them, but it was Travelocity (and now "Cheap-O" that truly made the difference)
However, this one new brief from UA: "Make Newark More Desirable with NYC than JFK" is a darn meaty brief, a tough challenge that the strategy, planners and creative people may want to take that one on. The "design" of the ads are better, but not special. Ad agencies are NOT design agencies. In a way, if the ad agencies did the insights, strategy and copywriting, they could be better served by going to their design company (Landor in the case of WPP) to create something more visually engaging, and help visually position UA with a real personality.

Last, as a snobby New Yorker, I think I would puke if I saw "Fly United out of Liberty Airport" - it's Newark Airport (IMHO)
(BTW: I don't consider myself a snobby New Yorker, (I hope not) I respect the fact that big city life is not for everyone and that the cost of living in NYC is absurd)

csavel

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:17 pm

There is one factor that people aren't considering. I am sure I am going to get seriously flamed for this. Let me say that I don't *agree* with this attitude but that it is a fact that it is prevelant in New York.

To many native New Yorkers,
EWR = Ugh Jersey (as in Jersey Shore, Chris Christie, big hair, shopping malls, the Situation). Again I am not saying that this is right, let's call it outright snobbery, but for native New Yorkers, as opposed to people visiting from elsewhere or transplants, that attitude is common. I can't tell you how many times I've heard from people in the heyday of awesome Continental, "I'm not flying out of Newark and have to sit next to some Guido from Tenafly for 8 effing hours."

Bigoted, yes, obnoxiously snobbish, unfair stereotype,check, but as a native New Yorker I see it every day. New Jersey is a punchline on this side of the Hudson. It isn't fair and it is juvenile but it is also a fact.

So UAL has a few choices instead of highlighting how close EWR is to Manhattanites.

1. Change NY-ers attitudes about New Jersey. (United - close to Manhattan and Chris Christie free! Have Frank Sinatra in the ads if they can get rights.)
2. Highlight EWR's closeness to people going *to* New York who don't have that New York attitude against all things on the other side of the Hudson
3. Say screw you and your f**ing attitude, New York, our hub is Jersey and we're proud! Obviously in a nice way, but United, Jersey proud with maybe some pictures of The Jersey Turnpike as an in your face "owning" the stereotype.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

WorldFlier

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:12 pm

B737900ER wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:
I live in Brooklyn Heights and work in Downtown Manhattan. It's faster for me to take public transit to EWR than JFK for both work and leisure.

Now you did it.

I also lived in Brooklyn for 10 years and often found almost no difference between EWR and JFK by car, and found EWR faster using public transportation. But I was run off the boards here by those who don't even live in NYC telling me I'm making it up and I'm just a EWR fanboy. No matter what the facts and real numbers are, get ready because a bunch of people (who again don't even live in the city) are going to try to make you feel really dumb.

Everyone in the EWR vs JFK echo chamber love to talk about the holland tunnel at 4pm Friday, but fail to mention the other 164 hours during the week when it really isn't a problem.

Also, connecting to a Star Alliance partner in EWR doesn't require leaving security, but (unless it has changed)...you have to LEAVE SECURITY to change airlines/terminals in JFK.

Unless you fly AA all the way, you're going to have to schlep through security twice! In EWR, I can fly DCA-EWR-PEK on United/Air China and only clear security in DCA...while DCA-JFK-PEK would require me to change terminals if I chose to take JFK-PEK on Air China!

dcajet

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:32 pm

United has also been deploying food trucks here in San Francisco and in NYC highlighting some new flights and popular destinations. Saw one that had Buenos Aires on one side and Tel Aviv on the other, and serving sweet treats typical from those destinations.

Interestingly, the food truck I saw was co-branded with Boeing.

https://hub.united.com/united-taste-wor ... 97919.html
Keep calm and wash your hands.

VC10er
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:01 am

csavel wrote:
There is one factor that people aren't considering. I am sure I am going to get seriously flamed for this. Let me say that I don't *agree* with this attitude but that it is a fact that it is prevelant in New York.

To many native New Yorkers,
EWR = Ugh Jersey (as in Jersey Shore, Chris Christie, big hair, shopping malls, the Situation). Again I am not saying that this is right, let's call it outright snobbery, but for native New Yorkers, as opposed to people visiting from elsewhere or transplants, that attitude is common. I can't tell you how many times I've heard from people in the heyday of awesome Continental, "I'm not flying out of Newark and have to sit next to some Guido from Tenafly for 8 effing hours."

Bigoted, yes, obnoxiously snobbish, unfair stereotype,check, but as a native New Yorker I see it every day. New Jersey is a punchline on this side of the Hudson. It isn't fair and it is juvenile but it is also a fact.

So UAL has a few choices instead of highlighting how close EWR is to Manhattanites.

1. Change NY-ers attitudes about New Jersey. (United - close to Manhattan and Chris Christie free! Have Frank Sinatra in the ads if they can get rights.)
2. Highlight EWR's closeness to people going *to* New York who don't have that New York attitude against all things on the other side of the Hudson
3. Say screw you and your f**ing attitude, New York, our hub is Jersey and we're proud! Obviously in a nice way, but United, Jersey proud with maybe some pictures of The Jersey Turnpike as an in your face "owning" the stereotype.

I wont "flame" you but I feel I need to provide a broader perspective. First, I am a native New Yorker, born in Manhattan, went to University in Manhattan, went to clubs in Manhattan (starting at Studio 54) and have lived as an adult in the West Village and SoHo since 1985. I love NYC and I'd rather die than live anywhere else, but nor do I have any scorn for people who don't like NYC. There are very few of us who can say "I am a born and raised New Yorker" I am told all the time "gosh, don't meet many people here who are actually from NYC".

Most people I know, in fact ALL of my friends have moved here from many parts from across the USA, many from NJ. Yes, all cliche's are based in some truth, but when I think about Newark airport, I do not think of Snooky, or the Soprano's. or the cliche stereotypes that New Jersey can conjure up that you mention above. Sure, sometimes when you go to NJ you see the tacky people you mention with big hair and many stuck in the 1980's wearing acid wash jeans. You can also come to NYC and meet total ELITIST SNOBS. The snobbiest NYer I've ever met is a woman who comes from the back woods of Tennessee. She believes she's the real Holly GoLightly!

In my experience we NYC natives do hold some snooty opinions and prejudices, but have we them for for people from The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island, Connecticut, "Jersey" and and especially Staten Island. No different that any other place holds cliche stereotypes in their respective areas. In fact "some" of the residents of Brooklyn and Queens who live around JFK are among the most cliched outer borough folk (Personally I had a crush on Tony Manero). I have heard some serious vitriol from residents of Cincinnati about people from Cleveland and vice versa. Londoners against Liverpudlians and Paulista's against Cariocas in Brazil...etc, etc, etc. It's unfortunate HUMAN behavior.

But I have always found irony in the fact that the people who have resided in NYC for decades, but have moved here from other places (be it Ohio or Texas and even New Jersey...etc) to hold and vocalize MORE negative associations against New Jersey than those of us who grew up with NJ next door, another state, but very much part of the NYC metropolitan area.

I believe that more people (way more than perhaps you and others think) actually consider EWR as just 1 of 3 airports that serve NYC than you'd think. The "urban" atmosphere of NYC well extends to EWR...the Polaski Skyway is a spectacular, massive urban structure. And now it's all been fixed up like new. Newark Airport is a bona fide part of this mega 23 million people metro area.

My beef is that if United wanted to, they could invest more (and faster) in EWR in many, many ways to create the area's favorite airline, but there are too many shortfalls with UA to get there when all they do is try and match Delta and not try to truly INNOVATE...which they should (IMHO) do quickly in order to compete more effectively out of EWR. And I am not just talking about "Polaris", it's not just about proving that the distance and traffic (although I would bet they have overwhelming data that says that distance is the #1 hurdle for them) but in public transport and develop a far better reputation for their economy class and customer service. Everyone, even NYers, love turn around stories.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos