• Florida One (N945WN)
  • Illinois One (N918WN)
  • Lone Star One (N931WN)
  • Maryland One (N214WN)
  • Missouri One (N280WN)
  • Nevada One (N727SW)
  • New Mexico One (N781WN)
  • Tennessee One (N922WN)

Southwest is going to be retiring the current Arizona One and California One planes this year, since both of these planes are 737-300 planes. Will Southwest have 737-700, 737-800, or 737 MAX 8 planes in the Arizona One and California One livery after Southwest retires the 737-300 planes?

Will Southwest add Georgia One, New York One, and/or Ohio One planes? Southwest has a lot of daily flights to these three states, but currently does not have special livery planes for these 3 states.

msycajun

Re: Southwest planes in state liveries

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:17 pm

We were talking about the possibility of a Louisiana One in a spotter group recently. Seems like there should be, as MSY is one of the larger and older stations.

TripleA

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:22 pm

They already retired the old California One. The new one is N943WN.

jplatts
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:37 pm

TripleA wrote:
They already retired the old California One. The new one is N943WN.

The Southwest Airlines special liveries list in Wikipedia did not list the new California One plane, but has been updated to reflect the new N943WN California One plane. Details about the new California One Plane can be found at https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Southwest-Stories/California-One-A-Bear-Necessity/ba-p/51113.

xxcr

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:38 pm

i love how Southwest paints their planes in the states livery!! a good way to say thank you to their customers and employees from those states!

SLCUT2777

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:39 pm

jplatts wrote:
Will Southwest add Georgia One, New York One, and/or Ohio One planes? Southwest has a lot of daily flights to these three states, but currently does not have special livery planes for these 3 states.

How about WN add a "Utah One?"
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

aviationjunky

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 pm

I wouldn't be surprised with an "Ohio One", much like HP N905AW. I was always a big fan of it! Or even an "Hawaii One" for if/when they announce HNL. :P
LAS is Life

TripleA

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:01 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Georgia plane since ATL is a focus city, but they usually only make state liveries for states that they have a focus city in. I don't think they consider any airports in New York or Ohio focus city airports.

gr8slvrflt

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 pm

A Georgia One is long overdue, in my opinion. Perhaps it's because the Georgia state flag is really boring ~
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

airtrantpa

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:06 pm

I think they should do one, in all 50 states since their ol.slogan was a symbol of freedom, or feel free to move about the country.
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991

jplatts
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:28 pm

TripleA wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Georgia plane since ATL is a focus city, but they usually only make state liveries for states that they have a focus city in. I don't think they consider any airports in New York or Ohio focus city airports.

Southwest actually has a New Mexico One plane in its fleet, even though Southwest doesn't have a focus city in that state. Southwest's Albuquerque operation is smaller than Southwest's operations at 32 other U.S. airports, and Southwest only does 35 daily nonstops to 16 destinations out of ABQ.

jplatts
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 pm

TripleA wrote:

Even though Southwest doesn't have any focus cities in New York, Southwest does 79 flights a day out of 5 airports located within the state of New York (BUF, ROC, ALB, LGA, and ISP) plus 22 flights a day out of Newark, which also serves New York City and the NYC suburbs in the state of New York in addition to New Jersey. Southwest does more flights per day to New York than to any other state that does not already have a Southwest plane in a state livery except for Georgia. A New York One plane might possibly be added to the Southwest Airlines fleet due to the number of daily Southwest flights to and from the state of New York along with the fact that Southwest actually has a New Mexico One Plane despite Southwest not having a focus city in New Mexico.

LOWS

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:53 pm

Oklahoma has been waiting on one since the 90s. It was one of WNs first stations outside Texas.

mikelive

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:59 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised with an "Ohio One", much like HP N905AW. I was always a big fan of it! Or even an "Hawaii One" for if/when they announce HNL. :P

I agree with an "Ohio One" for my home state. I absolutely LUV "Lone Star One."

Joshu

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:26 am

Bring back the whales!!!
Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group

jplatts
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:21 am

mikelive wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:

I agree with an "Ohio One" for my home state. I absolutely LUV "Lone Star One."

N905AW no longer has the America West Ohio livery as it had been repainted into the standard US Airways livery after the America West-US Airways merger. Even though Southwest doesn't have any focus cities in Ohio, Southwest has long been the dominant carrier at CMH and Southwest might possibly become the dominant carrier at CLE. Southwest has 57 daily flights to two airports located within the state of Ohio (CMH and CLE), plus another 59 daily flights to three airports outside of Ohio that serve parts of Ohio (CVG, PIT, and DTW).

TWA772LR

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:25 am

gr8slvrflt wrote:
A Georgia One is long overdue, in my opinion. Perhaps it's because the Georgia state flag is really boring ~

If it's because the flag is boring, why not an Air Tran retrojet?

But before any other state planes are added, they need another Texas One, the state where it all started and still continues.

And they need to make Tennessee One models! This Texas-based Tennessee transplant would love to add those to his collection!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Okie

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:34 am

LOWS wrote:
Oklahoma has been waiting on one since the 90s. It was one of WNs first stations outside Texas

That would pretty much be since the 70's.

Once the Wright Amendment was modified to include Missouri ie STL, that seriously reduced OKC and TUL stops for anything heading north out of DAL.

Increased security times for TSA also cut the number of flights to DAL. You can pretty much drive it now days from OKC to DAL in equal time in the mornings.
5pm traffic probably not.

Okie

DfwAussie

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:55 am

jplatts wrote:
TripleA wrote:

Southwest actually has a New Mexico One plane in its fleet, even though Southwest doesn't have a focus city in that state. Southwest's Albuquerque operation is smaller than Southwest's operations at 32 other U.S. airports, and Southwest only does 35 daily nonstops to 16 destinations out of ABQ.

Evan with those numbers, I would suspect WN carries the most pax in NM since ABQ is the only airport getting mainline service and only a handful of cities with any at all. ABQ is an early destination as well.

barney captain

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 am

Joshu wrote:
Bring back the whales!!!

Blackfish ended that.
Southeast Of Disorder

stl07

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:33 am

Okie wrote:
LOWS wrote:
Oklahoma has been waiting on one since the 90s. It was one of WNs first stations outside Texas

Once the Wright Amendment was modified to include Missouri ie STL, that seriously reduced OKC and TUL stops for anything heading north out of DAL.

Increased security times for TSA also cut the number of flights to DAL. You can pretty much drive it now days from OKC to DAL in equal time in the mornings.
5pm traffic probably not.

Okie

I'm not familiar with the area. Does the Heartland Flyer get there in the same time/ faster than flying? Is it a popular alternative to flying?
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

southwest1675

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:09 am

barney captain wrote:
Joshu wrote:
Bring back the whales!!!

Blackfish ended that.

That, and the SeaWorld contract was up anyways.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

TripleA

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:28 am

jplatts wrote:
TripleA wrote:

I believe that's because when the Wright Amendment was in full force and DAL operations were limited, WN did use ABQ as a focus city. Looking back several years it looks like WN used to have flights to 21 cities from ABQ whereas now it's down to 14, and I'm sure that's due to the expansion at DAL.

SXDFC

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:30 am

I'd imagine the successor to Arizona One will roll out towards the end of 2017.

For the poster who mentioned another "Texas One," Texas has only one state flag lol.

AWACSooner

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:18 pm

stl07 wrote:
I'm not familiar with the area. Does the Heartland Flyer get there in the same time/ faster than flying? Is it a popular alternative to flying?

No...unless you don't mind taking 3.5 hours on an often delayed train to go to FORT WORTH...then wait another 2-3 hours to connect to the Texas Eagle to Dallas.

Every time WN introduces another State plane, it's just another slap in the face to LA and OK, their first two inter-state destinations. It doesn't matter that we may not have the numbers that other newer destinations have...we're a vital part of their heritage and legacy.

LOWS

Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Okie wrote:
LOWS wrote:

Sorry, I meant the 70s.

AWACSooner wrote:
stl07 wrote:

No...unless you don't mind taking 3.5 hours on an often delayed train to go to FORT WORTH...then wait another 2-3 hours to connect to the Texas Eagle to Dallas.

Every time WN introduces another State plane, it's just another slap in the face to LA and OK, their first two inter-state destinations. It doesn't matter that we may not have the numbers that other newer destinations have...we're a vital part of their heritage and legacy.

Oh, not at all. It's a disaster of a train, good only for tourists or people afraid of flying. It only goes about 50-60mph the whole route. Leaving Oklahoma City at 8:30, you can get to DFW by 14:15 (https://goo.gl/maps/gCMr1jCzm6F2). By comparison, you can drive in about three hours. You can take the TRE from Ft. Worth, no need to wait on the Texas Eagle (which by that time is probably delayed more than a couple hours). Looking up the train status presently, Amtrak.com doesn't even have status information on the train.

Yes, my father used to fly me up to MCI twice a month when he lived up there (buying the incredibly cheap WN return tickets for $60-80ish), he used to complain bitterly about my flying on Texas One or Arizona One or whichever. DAL/HOU-OKC-MCI-MDW/CMH/BNA seemed to get a lot more of the special planes.

mtnwest1979

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Since WN just eliminated two Ohio airports, I doubt there would be an Ohio One in the near future. Seem odd to commemorate a state you just quit half of the airports you served there.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

aviationjunky

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:
Since WN just eliminated two Ohio airports, I doubt there would be an Ohio One in the near future. Seem odd to commemorate a state you just quit half of the airports you served there.

They eliminated two but they replaced DAY with CVG. So technically they only eliminated one.
LAS is Life

Cubsrule

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:33 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

They eliminated two but they replaced DAY with CVG. So technically they only eliminated one.

. . . except that CVG isn't in Ohio.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

AWACSooner

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Kentucky One, here we go! ;)

aviationjunky

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:37 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

Even though it's Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International, not Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati International, and CVG sits on the boarder of Ohio and Kentucky. And when they announced it, they announced it as the DAY replacement.
LAS is Life

Cubsrule

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:48 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:

Even though it's Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International, not Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati International, and CVG sits on the boarder of Ohio and Kentucky. And when they announced it, they announced it as the DAY replacement.

I'm not sure why we are arguing about this, but the airport is wholly in Kentucky, not on the border. That would be physically impossible since the border is a fairly wide river.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

jplatts
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I'm not sure why we are arguing about this, but the airport is wholly in Kentucky, not on the border. That would be physically impossible since the border is a fairly wide river.

Even though Southwest only serves 2 airports within the state of Ohio, Southwest also serves parts of Ohio through 3 additional airports located in other states. CVG, while located in Kentucky, actually serves Southwest Ohio and Southeast Indiana in addition to Northern Kentucky. PIT, while located in Pennsylvania, also serves parts of eastern Ohio and the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia. DTW, while located in Michigan, also serves the Northwest Ohio region.

jplatts
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:06 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

I agree that an Louisiana One and an Oklahoma One plane should be added to the Southwest Airlines fleet as Louisiana and Oklahoma are the 2nd and 3rd states to be served by Southwest Airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos