VirginFlyer

Re: Boeing 125 737-8MAX order to Undisclosed Customer.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Stitch wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
Probably another Chinese customer.

:yes:

CASC just placed an order for 100 A320neos as part of a larger order including A350s, so I think this hints strongly that this is also a CASC order as Boeing lists them as UFOs until CASG assigns them to specific Chinese carriers and the Chinese tend to order from both OEMs close together.

I wonder how much we should be reading in to the wording from Boeing's press release?

Boeing [NYSE: BA] has signed an agreement with an unidentified major airline customer for 125 737 MAX 8 airplanes

(emphasis mine)

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Stitch

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
I wonder how much we should be reading in to the wording from Boeing's press release?

Boeing [NYSE: BA] has signed an agreement with an unidentified major airline customer for 125 737 MAX 8 airplanes

(emphasis mine)

Ah well they would probably not call CASC such, so it probably is then an actual airline.

DfwAussie

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Probably China. Seems like when they announce a big order from one manufacturer, another order comes around for the opposite company.

Stitch

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:51 pm

DfwAussie wrote:
Probably China. Seems like when they announce a big order from one manufacturer, another order comes around for the opposite company.

That is what I thought after the CASC Airbus order earlier this week, but Boeing would not refer to CASC as "a major airline".

As such, I do not believe this is for China.

DfwAussie

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Stitch wrote:
DfwAussie wrote:

That is what I thought after the CASC Airbus order earlier this week, but Boeing would not refer to CASC as "a major airline".

As such, I do not believe this is for China.

Good catch, I missed that on the first read.

amdiesen

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:33 pm

The phantom of this being a Delta order has been discussed. Consider, a creative Boeing sales strategy to address Delta's current hypothetical neo/max RFP: add a hook, ...1) Boeing will inspire the manufacture of MD-90 landing gear at a non-predator cost ..., 2) convert 30 of the NG's into the total order. Result an AB/B competitive alternative is created.

anshabhi

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:38 am

Jet Airways to raise funds for fleet expansion
http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 532_1.html

More clues about who this unidentified customer is!

WIederling

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 am

george77300 wrote:
Boeing has just stated a new order for 125 737-8 MAX aircraft for a "major airline". Any ideas who it could be??

Aerolinas No Revelado, main carrier in Estadas Unidas de Nirvanado :-)

One of these days I expect a Boeing "undisclosed" order
to reveal in Matryoshka doll fashion as a succession
of onionized "undisclosed" customers
Murphy is an optimist

mjoelnir

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:04 am

anshabhi wrote:

Jet Airways has already 79 737MAX on order, so raising money for fleet expansion is no big clue.

anshabhi

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:27 am

mjoelnir wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Jet Airways has already 79 737MAX on order, so raising money for fleet expansion is no big clue.

well if you read the article, they need this money for a new order.

Momo1435

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:12 pm

It's possible that it's Jet Airways. It's just that the numbers don't add up exactly: Jet Airways: 75x MAX, Boeing 125x MAX + 50x Purchase rights. Past orders show that this doesn't mean too much, it wouldn't be the 1st time different numbers come out for the same order in different announcements and/or articles. We simply don't know until the unidentified commitment is firmed up and/or identified. Boeing is always talking with enough airlines that could place large orders, it's still anyone's guess.

hardheid

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:22 pm

Jet Airways barely moves 20 million passengers annually and only made its first minor quarterly profit in almost a decade during Q4 of last year. As an overseas citizen of India it hurts me to say that Jet Airways is not a major airline.

Only 3% of Indians fly. Emirates is India's main international carrier and I doubt that the government will manage to sell Air India unless they open up bidding to foreign buyers.

anshabhi

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Momo1435 wrote:
It's possible that it's Jet Airways. It's just that the numbers don't add up exactly: Jet Airways: 75x MAX, Boeing 125x MAX + 50x Purchase rights. Past orders show that this doesn't mean too much, it wouldn't be the 1st time different numbers come out for the same order in different announcements and/or articles. We simply don't know until the unidentified commitment is firmed up and/or identified. Boeing is always talking with enough airlines that could place large orders, it's still anyone's guess.

The number in article isn't trustable. An earlier report by CAPA placed this number at 100+ some options.

hardheid wrote:
Jet Airways barely moves 20 million passengers annually and only made its first minor quarterly profit in almost a decade during Q4 of last year. As an overseas citizen of India it hurts me to say that Jet Airways is not a major airline.

Only 3% of Indians fly. Emirates is India's main international carrier and I doubt that the government will manage to sell Air India unless they open up bidding to foreign buyers.

"Only 3% of Indians fly".
This is the main reason why entire world is optimistic about future of India's aviation sector.
Get even 10% of the population flying and all outstanding 900 aircraft orders would be absorbed, and why 9W needs this order to maintain its market share.

EK is India's main intl carrier only according to a.net facts. In reality its #3, after 9W and AI.

bunumuring

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Hey guys,
The 'major airline' bit of Boeing's press release strikes me as well. I have a hunch that it could be ONE Chinese airline and have already suggested Air China - just a hunch, no insider info or anything. Of course, Air China's subsidiaries could be taking many of these MAXs as well as Air China mainline, but the group as a whole could be described as one 'major airline', couldn't it?
Maybe it is Air Asia (lol) or someone else holding off to make a big splash at some specific big event (airshow eg. Dubai later this year?) because that is their nature and modus operandi - big splashes at big events? Personally, I can't imagine Air Asia ordering them, but you never know I guess... Norwegian and American and Lion Air and others will all operate neos and MAXs in harmony soon ...
What about easyJet? Could they switch their neo orders to predominantly A321neos like they have already started doing, and slide the MAX8s in underneath capacity-wise like a few other airlines have done/will be doing? Wizzair could also be considered as a potential operator of the MAX using the same scenario.
Ryanair? Unlikely with their recent small MAX top up order.
Norwegian? Possible I guess but again a recent small MAX top up order was made.
AirFrance/KLM? Not this many, surely... I would think that IF the MAX was to be ordered by the Group, it would be for KLM/Transavia only - and certainly not for 125+50 in one hit of anything!
Vietjet? I don't know enough about them to pass opinion but I guess with their aggressive expansion plans they would have to be considered - was their 100 frame MAX order from a little while ago completely finalised? Could they be considered by Boeing to be a 'major airline'?
GOL/Copa/Azul/Avianca/LATAM? No, no, no, no, no ... in my opinion anyway. All of these are either already wedded to the neo, are too small to order 125+50 frames, or other reasons...
Qantas? No, not yet and way to big an order to replace just 75 x 737-800s when you remember that there are dozens of neos already on order for the various Jetstars (or so QF says).
Jet/SpiceJet - already heavily discussed above and I just can't see IndiGo or Goair ordering MAXs as well as neos despite others already doing so. Again, just personal opinion.
It could of course be Southwest or American or Delta - but I think unlikely for reasons suggested already in this thread. Has United been discounted?
Cheers
Bunumuring

PS: just a further thought ... Boeing may be referring to the mystery customer as a 'major' airline as an ego boost of sorts, if in fact the airline isn't a usually-considered 'major' airline... though the quantity of frames involved in this order (125 + 50) does indeed make it a 'major order' from whomever it is!
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

jbs2886

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:00 pm

bunumuring wrote:
Ryanair? Unlikely with their recent small MAX top up order.

It was 10 planes, hardly precluding an airline operating nearly 400 from ordering more.

bunumuring wrote:
GOL/Copa/Azul/Avianca/LATAM? No, no, no, no, no ... in my opinion anyway. All of these are either already wedded to the neo, are too small to order 125+50 frames, or other reasons...

GOL and Copa have ordered the MAX, not neo.

adi00654

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 pm

hardheid wrote:

If only 3% would have been flying then all major airlines wouldn't have their market in India.Today mucg of the ME3 business is from India.Their bread butter of Us routes is Indian Pax.

So u urself calling being an Indian don't u know India economy is grown better and probably being to best economy In Asia.The number of people flying is rapidly increasing year by year.It hurts to fellow us Indians that some people demoralised their own country without knowing the statistics and facts .

hiflyeras

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:33 pm

I think that number of 125 makes AS a likely choice...and deliveries starting five years out replaces the VX AB, early delivery next gens and allows for growth. I think they'll keep the -700's for quite some as they come in handy on some longer, thinner routes and believe they said a cabin refit is coming for them.

bunumuring

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:34 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
GOL and Copa have ordered the MAX, not neo.

Yes mate,
I am very aware of that. Thus the 'other reasons' bit of my post...
Cheers
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos