gr3atdane
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Saw this bird while flying out of LHR this morning. Could make out the registration

https://imgur.com/a/C0fbt
Image
 
bennett123
Posts: 9120
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:25 pm

Have you tried www.lhr-lgw.co.uk
 
Airlinerdude
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 am

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:41 am

Markie73 wrote:
Does anybody know if Qatar are providing a full in flight service on the covering flights for BA during the strike?.


Looks like BA catering with the addition of champagne. Someone else's trip report linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_JOTUn80Vw
 
Andy33
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:51 am

Airlinerdude wrote:
Markie73 wrote:
Does anybody know if Qatar are providing a full in flight service on the covering flights for BA during the strike?.


Looks like BA catering with the addition of champagne. Someone else's trip report linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_JOTUn80Vw


BA's Club Europe (business class) catering includes champagne. The only difference from the onboard service shown in the video and the BA standard Club Europe service was the pre-takeoff drinks, which BA don't do. The most I've ever been served by BA crew in Club Europe before takeoff was a cup of tea, and that was when there was a delay waiting for a ground movement slot.
BA recently upgraded the food offering in Club Europe - what was shown was the new standard of menu, plates etc. Paid for by making Economy BoB presumably...
The seats of course are an improvement on BA's usual offering - slimline seats with the middles blocked by a console table- but BA there is absolutely standard with other airlines' shorthaul flights operating within Europe, only a few outliers like TK do anything different. Exceptions being longhaul aircraft filling in on shorthaul rotations - even BA send a 772 to Madrid daily, and their "mid-haul" A321s with flatbeds in Business can turn up even on domestics.

The other point I noted from the video was the claim that all the Qatar-operated BA flights left from T5B at LHR. I'm quite sure they don't, in fact the videoed flight left from a hard stand, the bus connection may have left from one of the gates in T5B that is dual-use as jetway or bus gate, but most international flights from hard stands have bus connections from the dedicated bus gate A10.
 
Lofty
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:23 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:14 am

Qatari aircraft can only fuel on one side not both like BA, due to the design of T5 stands this means they must operate from any stand that can take a B767 or above or stand 524.
 
pegasus1
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 am

TC957 wrote:
I was at LHR all day today from just after 8am and only saw 4 QR 320's flying - A7-ADC/D/F/G.


All 9 A320s arrived sometime during the afternoon and evening of the 30th June.

Only A7-ADE and A7-ADI didn't fly on 1st July, the first day of operations (the first day of the strike).

All the others operated variously either 1 or 2 rotations out of Heathrow, with early morning or afternoon departures.

I hope you've had more luck spotting them since. :smile: :thumbsup:
 
pegasus1
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:28 am

3rdGen wrote:
QR will be sending the oldest 320s in the fleet.


Plus one very 'young' one, A7-LAA, which, instead of the older-style, larger seats with the burgundy seat covers has the more modern slimline seats with black leather covers.
It still also has the 'Al Maha' logo on the Forward Attendant Panel, visible on boarding and when the panel isn't being actively used to play announcements/safety video.
 
pegasus1
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:39 am

JumboMaiden wrote:
Is it just planning that the Qatar airplanes have only been (so far) planned foronly 3 mixed fleet routes? (Kiev, Sofia and Oslo)


Over the past six days, they have been used variously on a mix of what would normally be both Mixed Fleet and Eurofleet routes.

AMS, ARN, BCN ,BRU, BUD, GLA, HAM, IST, KBP, KRK, LUX, LYS, MAD, MUC, NCE, NCL, OSL, PRG, SOF, STR, TLL, TXL, VIE, ZAG, ZRH

Some have been 'one-off' rotations (AMS, GLA, NCL, MAD - Eurofleet, BCN, LYS, STR, TLL - Mixed Fleet), while other routes have been served more regularly, up to twice daily.
 
pegasus1
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:20 am

Markie73 wrote:
Does anybody know if Qatar are providing a full in flight service on the covering flights for BA during the strike?.


I believe the service in Club Europe is the normal BA Club product, with the addition of a pre take-off champagne/soft drink offering on some flights, (I saw it being offered on NCE-LHR, for example) more akin to what QR would normally offer. I don't know if this is being stipulated by BA or if it's more a case of crew 'operating in default mode', doing what they would normally do if it were a normal QR flight.

In EuroTraveller (Economy), the normal Buy On Board service has had to be suspended (as QR crew are not familiar with BA's BoB service), so they are offering complimentary snacks, but what is offered depends very much on the the flight. I flew LHR-MUC, 1h20m actual flying time, departing at 06.55, and the crew served a cereal bar, yogurt, crisps (chips) and a biscuit (cookie), plus what looked like a full bar service from the trolley.
On LUX-LHR, 55 minute flying time, departing 21.20, they proactively offered crisps or a biscuit to all passengers but then it became clear that drinks were on request, as we discovered when the crew seemed to be 'missing people out', so the service was a bit messy and ambiguous (offering snacks but not a drink). When one of the passengers queried it, a crew member explained that BA had instructed them to offer drinks on request only, (probably as the flight time was relatively short). I have to say, this created a degree of bad feeling among some passengers, as it created the perception that the service was 'unfair' and there was no information given beforehand as to what kind of service would be offered.
On NCE-LHR, 1h35m flying time, 21.40 departure, passengers were served a 'breakfast snack box' containing a HEATED mushroom lattice pie and a warm pastry, plus drinks from the bar. This is far in excess of anything BA has offered on a short flight in Economy for a very long time, so it was a particularly pleasant surprise. Incidentally, the same snack was offered on the one NCE rotation operated by the HiFly A340, so we had the curious situation of a Maltese-registered aircraft, owned by an essentially Portuguese company with Emirates seating (and life jackets!!), offering Qatar Airways branded catering on a British Airways flight!! A true example of the global nature of aviation!

I have to add, the QR crews on the flights I have flown have been wonderful and are great publicity for QR.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6854
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:30 pm

The union Unite are to have another 14 day strike on 19th July-1st August.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
Joelatbsl
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:51 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Just very few BA flights on QR A320s this weekend:

http://joelatbsl.blogspot.com/2017/06/q ... ehalf.html
 
tofur
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:51 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:03 am

G-CIVP wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
What I would like to know is... what is a real GROSS pay amount for one of these staff? I've seen "take home" pay described as around £1000 (why did you accept a job in London even 6 years ago for that rate?). I would like to see this gross figure with all payments included for an average crew working normal hours, with all the extras that might be included (an ex was VS crew and a good amount of her pay was in cash at the destination - no idea if there is anything like this). No need to include perks.


Take home of £1,000 on PAYE is about £13,000 - £14,0000. On the mixed fleet contract there's some basic hourly flight pay on top and speculating, a contributory pension. Personally, I think the strikers are losing sight of the real benefit of the job; it is to see the world on the cheap for 2 to 3 years, then go off and get an alternative career. In my view, the job isn't really for someone who wants a serious career.


Hello G-CIVP. It is always a pleasure to hear the opinion of others. May I say I decided I wanted to be cabin crew in 1972 at the age of 10 when a CP Air stewardess came to our classroom to discuss her career, yes I say career as she flew for well over 30 years. I am in my 36th year of flying, and enjoy it as much as the first day I started. The pay is okay, my nieces and nephews make more than I do. I accept that, it is the path I chose and would not change it for anything else.

Respectfully, your thoughts on "the real benefit of the job", is not really applicable in today's world of aviation. We fly Toronto to Hong Kong and back the next day, no time for anything other than dinner and sleep. Or you may fly Toronto Ottawa Toronto Los Angeles, 10 hour rest, then Los Angeles Toronto Montreal Toronto. It is not only physically demanding but emotionally demanding. You are the face of the company from the moment you put on your uniform, leave your hotel room until the time you get home.

Respectfully, once again, I do encourage people to pursue this as a career if they genuinely enjoy interacting with and helping others. It can be be a deeply satisfying career. You may never be wealthy but you will be greatly enriched by the experiences in your life.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:28 am

tofur wrote:
G-CIVP wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
What I would like to know is... what is a real GROSS pay amount for one of these staff? I've seen "take home" pay described as around £1000 (why did you accept a job in London even 6 years ago for that rate?). I would like to see this gross figure with all payments included for an average crew working normal hours, with all the extras that might be included (an ex was VS crew and a good amount of her pay was in cash at the destination - no idea if there is anything like this). No need to include perks.


Take home of £1,000 on PAYE is about £13,000 - £14,0000. On the mixed fleet contract there's some basic hourly flight pay on top and speculating, a contributory pension. Personally, I think the strikers are losing sight of the real benefit of the job; it is to see the world on the cheap for 2 to 3 years, then go off and get an alternative career. In my view, the job isn't really for someone who wants a serious career.


Hello G-CIVP. It is always a pleasure to hear the opinion of others. May I say I decided I wanted to be cabin crew in 1972 at the age of 10 when a CP Air stewardess came to our classroom to discuss her career, yes I say career as she flew for well over 30 years. I am in my 36th year of flying, and enjoy it as much as the first day I started. The pay is okay, my nieces and nephews make more than I do. I accept that, it is the path I chose and would not change it for anything else.

Respectfully, your thoughts on "the real benefit of the job", is not really applicable in today's world of aviation. We fly Toronto to Hong Kong and back the next day, no time for anything other than dinner and sleep. Or you may fly Toronto Ottawa Toronto Los Angeles, 10 hour rest, then Los Angeles Toronto Montreal Toronto. It is not only physically demanding but emotionally demanding. You are the face of the company from the moment you put on your uniform, leave your hotel room until the time you get home.

Respectfully, once again, I do encourage people to pursue this as a career if they genuinely enjoy interacting with and helping others. It can be be a deeply satisfying career. You may never be wealthy but you will be greatly enriched by the experiences in your life.


What a wonderful attitude you have. Nice to hear you still love the job and congrats on the length of service.
 
G-CIVP
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2001 6:38 am

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:38 am

In reply to tofur, on some long-haul routes the BA crew do get a reasonable amount of downtime but I appreciate it varies.
 
ncelhr
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:53 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:57 pm

The aircraft swap has caused a bit of a problem for Club pax since the QR A320s only have 12 business class seats (3 rows) whilst the BA A320 often have more. I've been on one such flight from NCE & ended up being seated in an emergency exit that was completely blocked off for me, plus unlimited champagne & whatever food I wanted to have. Certainly an upgrade from BA service!
I've spoken to the crew and they appear to really enjoy flying in Europe, perhaps even more than in the Gulf.
 
luftaom
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu May 20, 1999 4:29 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:11 pm

G-CIVP wrote:

The main reason why the thresholds were raised was due to the volume of speculative and spurious claims being made.



A little follow up on this: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40727400
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.
 
stylo777
Posts: 2752
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:03 am

Seeing that QR continues to operate on behalf of BA, does anybody know how many aircraft are currently involved in this operations? Which one exactly? And are there specific flights operated only by those aircraft and crew (e.g. LHR-IST seems to be one of those...).
 
andymartin
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 am

Why don't you go back to the start of this thread and try reading it. It saves asking the same old questions over and over and over etc
 
stylo777
Posts: 2752
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:03 am

andymartin wrote:
Why don't you go back to the start of this thread and try reading it. It saves asking the same old questions over and over and over etc

...and why don't you keep your arrogance for yourself?!? Last post was over an month ago and I certainly went through all posts. One month of wetlease is surely a long time and I'm certain that things have changed since, is it asked too much to be updated on the latest status dear andymartin?
 
TUGMASTER
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:56 pm

Re: BA applies to use Qatari aircraft to cover strike

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:20 pm

8 left, ADB ferries back home to DOH a couple of days ago.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos