BoeingGuy

Re: AA LAX-SFO all eagle now, sad face

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:15 pm

32andBelow wrote:
commavia wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
You can use/get AA miles on AS* VX flights. Just saying.

Don't believe so, not quite yet. I do not believe reciprocal FF earn/burn between AA and Alaska has extended to Virgin flights yet - I think that is coming on 1 January when Virgin's FF program is folded into Alaska's.

They all have AS flight numbers, I don't see why it wouldn't, but I could be wrong.

It doesn't work that way. FF miles credit is based on who operates the flight, not a code share. For example if AS and AA have a frequent flier agreement, but AA and VX do not. You cannot get AA miles for a flight operated by VX, even if on an AS code share ticket. In other words, it goes by who's metal you are flying on, not the airline code on your ticket.

grbauc

Re: AA LAX-SFO all Eagle now

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:19 pm

downtown273 wrote:
I have to admit I would've never thought LAX-SFO could go all-Eagle in AA.

I just can't imagine that happening in Europe. Can anyone see MAD-BCN, CDG-AMS, LON-DUB, FRA-MUC ... being operated by all-Regional aircraft??

Um yea there's a lot of players in sfo lax. AA is over crowded in 4 not sure if that plays a roll. I really wish for a bigger presence up an down the west coast. AScode shares are ok but i'm on an airline the size of American Airlines should have a bigger presence and the Pacific North and the West Coast western United States. Delta has grow in their presence in the western United States phenomenal last 10 years. They're constantly getting a little point-to-point fruit here and there and building up a presence in San Francisco sea and lax.

grbauc

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:21 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
Vctony wrote:
Very interesting...

In a way Mah and Nuts are both right.

Oh boy now I'm going go crazy waiting to know.

tlecam

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:40 pm

I get the issue with the Eagle's Nest, but I couldn't care less about whether its mainline/regional if they're flying Embraer 170/75's. No middle seats, more comfortable seats. If they are RJ200s or 145s then it would be a different conversation.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

Vctony

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:49 pm

grbauc wrote:
ldvaviation wrote:
Vctony wrote:
Very interesting...

In a way Mah and Nuts are both right.

Oh boy now I'm going go crazy waiting to know.

Maybe Eagle is going to TBIT.

MAH4546

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:05 pm

winginit wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
That is correct and it will absolutely move to Terminal 5 as part of the announced $1.6B investment in T4/T5 by AA, which will relocate the remaining T5 tenants to elsewhere.

I've been hearing this as well (AA copying DL? shocker!) but can't for the life of me figure out where Allegiant, Frontier, JetBlue, Hawaiian, Spirit, and Sun Country (the cats and dogs if you will) are going to go. That's nearly 70 daily departures - there's simply no room elsewhere.

The move will be tied into the opening of the new Midfield Concourse, 11 new gates for reshuffling.
a.

jetBlue

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:22 pm

As aviation enthusiasts, I would imagine many of us would enjoy riding the bus across the ramp amongst the airliners going by.

AA recently purchased new spacious buses for the operation and they're quite comfortable.

Despite our tendency to be staring at our phones nearly every waking second, when I'm in a bus on the ramp at LAX I'm always looking out the window and enjoying the ride.

Is it less convenient than a terminal gate? Sure. But you know what, I'll take the Eagle's nest any day over having to wait an hour for a gate to open at T4, or, worse yet, not having the flights at all.

The Nest has been remodeled quite nicely, too. A far cry better from the trailers they used to have as gate holding rooms.

jetBlue
We know for you it's not just a seat on a flight to a place. It's a seat on a flight to your life.

flyingclrs727

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:26 pm

intotheair wrote:
AirCalSNA wrote:
Thanks for posting this ... I'll cross AA off of my list of options for travel to LAX.

Ehh. Unless if you're connecting from somewhere, if you live/are going somewhere right by either airport, or if it's significantly cheaper, it's not really worth the hassle to fly LAX-SFO. For straight SoCal-Bay Area O&D, my rule of thumb is to choose a manageable airport on at least one end. The de facto shuttle service that WN has from so many other airports, not to mention offerings on AS and B6, make it hard for me to willingly choose LAX-SFO over BUR-OAK, LGB-SFO, LAX-OAK, etc. etc. For me, the flight is so short that there better be a good reason to go through two giant airports on both ends.

Maybe I'm in the minority, since there are boatloads of flights on LAX-SFO from pretty much all carriers. But then again, there are boatloads of flights between all the other airports too. Plenty of people drive it too, and it can be done in five hours if you hit the traffic just right.

It sounds like they are concentrating on connections and ceding the point to point market to WN.

Dash8Driver16

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:12 pm

I know there has been talk about the Eagle SFO flights starting to use a gate in either T4 or T5. It would be a dedicated gate for the SFO flights I.e gate 30 in T3 for Delta.

tphuang

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:29 pm

tlecam wrote:
I get the issue with the Eagle's Nest, but I couldn't care less about whether its mainline/regional if they're flying Embraer 170/75's. No middle seats, more comfortable seats. If they are RJ200s or 145s then it would be a different conversation.

Completely agreed. E75 f and y are noticeably better than 738 and a321.

carljanderson

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:50 pm

winginit wrote:
I've been hearing this as well (AA copying DL? shocker!) but can't for the life of me figure out where Allegiant, Frontier, JetBlue, Hawaiian, Spirit, and Sun Country (the cats and dogs if you will) are going to go. That's nearly 70 daily departures - there's simply no room elsewhere.

Midfield Satellite Concourse.

Will LAWA move them again if/when T0 and/or 9 is built? Will LAWA use the additional ticket counter space forthcoming in B for domestic carriers?

MIflyer12

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:02 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
It sounds like they are concentrating on connections and ceding the point to point market to WN.

The other way to look at it is AA downguaged but increased frequency, better to attract point to point flyers who aren't willing to wait three hours for the next AA flight, or to improve Bay Area connectivity thru the LAX hub. That's how DL played it when it went to 14x E75 LAX-SFO.

grbauc

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Dash8Driver16 wrote:
I know there has been talk about the Eagle SFO flights starting to use a gate in either T4 or T5. It would be a dedicated gate for the SFO flights I.e gate 30 in T3 for Delta.

The DL LAX SFO shuttle dedicated Gate was almost always not used due to the huge delays. Id have tons of gate changes.

grbauc

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
intotheair wrote:
AirCalSNA wrote:
Thanks for posting this ... I'll cross AA off of my list of options for travel to LAX.

Ehh. Unless if you're connecting from somewhere, if you live/are going somewhere right by either airport, or if it's significantly cheaper, it's not really worth the hassle to fly LAX-SFO. For straight SoCal-Bay Area O&D, my rule of thumb is to choose a manageable airport on at least one end. The de facto shuttle service that WN has from so many other airports, not to mention offerings on AS and B6, make it hard for me to willingly choose LAX-SFO over BUR-OAK, LGB-SFO, LAX-OAK, etc. etc. For me, the flight is so short that there better be a good reason to go through two giant airports on both ends.

Maybe I'm in the minority, since there are boatloads of flights on LAX-SFO from pretty much all carriers. But then again, there are boatloads of flights between all the other airports too. Plenty of people drive it too, and it can be done in five hours if you hit the traffic just right.

I don't know about that. I think AA is trying to make things run smoother at LAX it was a pain last year. AA added a ton of flights and it was and is a crowded terminal. Its getting better and I'm looking forward to the operation in a few more years..

DfwAussie

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Timaay419 wrote:
As the title says, all flights between LAX and SFO on AA are eagle now...requiring the long bus ride to the eagle terminal at LAX. Considering the nature of the route, I find this lame. Faster = better. Thoughts?

They are E75 flights. What's wrong with that? Vastly more comfortable than a 3x3 configuration.

usxguy

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Delta is the only one with "hourly" flights between LAX & SFO, rotating between E175s and 717s. United has a LOT of flights, scattered, on 737-800/900s and A320s with a lone E175 at the end of the night. Virgin/Alaska has about the same frequency as AA, except with all A320s (A319s?)
xx

DfwAussie

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:32 pm

usxguy wrote:
Delta is the only one with "hourly" flights between LAX & SFO, rotating between E175s and 717s. United has a LOT of flights, scattered, on 737-800/900s and A320s with a lone E175 at the end of the night. Virgin/Alaska has about the same frequency as AA, except with all A320s (A319s?)

People are omitting Southwest. Not hourly, but they fly the route several times a day.

winginit

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:04 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
The move will be tied into the opening of the new Midfield Concourse, 11 new gates for reshuffling.

I'll believe it when I see it, as there are still countless barriers to overcome, the most prominent of which are:

1) Convincing the carriers who have just been moved to T5 to move again. It'd be possible with LAWA muscle if AA held the lease for T5 as Delta achieved with T2/T3, but to my knowledge this isn't the case with JetBlue, Frontier, or others in T5 who directly lease with the airport as opposed to sublease with American, so they thus have no obligation to move unless AA can provide them like for like facilities at midfield

2) Getting the entire plan through the EIR process with both El Segundo and Westchester. For AA to capture the rest of the gates at T5 would mark a significant expansion effort - one that the surrounding communities would be keen to shut down

3) The standard CBP and TSA woes that are already going to bring the airport to its knees this Summer

toneal

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 pm

Does anyone know if AA is treating this like any other flight? Or are they treating it like DL is with a dedicated and specified product/onboard experience? DL has the Nourish/Luvo products and complimentary alcohol for the entire cabin. Is it just a basic beverage service? Everyone on the east coast shuttle has the same exact hard/soft offerings. But when it comes to the west coast its interesting that there is a hard product match between DL and AA...but not a soft one.

MAH4546

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:52 pm

winginit wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it, as there are still countless barriers to overcome, the most prominent of which are:

1) Convincing the carriers who have just been moved to T5 to move again. It'd be possible with LAWA muscle if AA held the lease for T5 as Delta achieved with T2/T3, but to my knowledge this isn't the case with JetBlue, Frontier, or others in T5 who directly lease with the airport as opposed to sublease with American, so they thus have no obligation to move unless AA can provide them like for like facilities at midfield

All the airlines that moved to T5 did so with the knowledge it will likely be short-term. The AA takeover of T5 has long been in the works; it isn't investing $1.6B to share the terminal.
a.

Timaay419
Topic Author

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:56 pm

DfwAussie wrote:
Timaay419 wrote:
As the title says, all flights between LAX and SFO on AA are eagle now...requiring the long bus ride to the eagle terminal at LAX. Considering the nature of the route, I find this lame. Faster = better. Thoughts?

They are E75 flights. What's wrong with that? Vastly more comfortable than a 3x3 configuration.

I'm buying F, so the single seat will be nice on the plane. But clearly you've missed the point. Nothing about deplaning only to cram into a crowded bus to ride across the tarmac back to the terminal is appealing. I want to land, walk off, and get in the Uber. Delta is offering a "shuttle" service on the route. AA is also offering a shuttle...a shuttle bus. Meh.

UALFAson

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Why did AA decide to move to an all-Eagle operation on this busy route? I used to fly it quite frequently a couple of years ago, on everything from 737-800s to US Airways Express CRJ-900s, and everything was always full. (Yeah yeah--full flight don't equal profitable flights. Reply with more than that.)

While I certainly enjoyed the plane spotting on the bus ride on the apron/tarmac, that was a huge PITA. You don't know exactly how long the bus is going to take, so you have to be sure to leave early, which is less time spent in the main terminal or the Admirals Club. I was going to stand by for an earlier flight, but didn't want to schlep all the way over there only to not make the flight and potentially have to schlep back and forth again 90 minutes later. It's not a deal-breaker, but when there are so many other relatively equal options, it's a big minus.

toneal wrote:
Does anyone know if AA is treating this like any other flight?

Yes. I just took it Tuesday. Same as any other Eagle 175 flight--no special onboard service.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

n7371f

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Says something about the weak brand of AA that it has to go all Eagle on one of the busiest routes in the world.

ldvaviation

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:21 am

winginit wrote:

2) Getting the entire plan through the EIR process with both El Segundo and Westchester. For AA to capture the rest of the gates at T5 would mark a significant expansion effort - one that the surrounding communities would be keen to shut down

3) The standard CBP and TSA woes that are already going to bring the airport to its knees this Summer

(1) JetBlue, Frontier, and the other airlines have no leverage. None of them has an existing need to lease the majority of gates in T5. None of them could finance the further improvements that T5 and the area between T4 and T5 needs.

(2) The surrounding communities have already given LAWA permission to build the MSC, T0, and T9. As long as LAWA puts the other airlines in one of those terminals, the rest of the EIR is pretty much perfunctory.

(3) What LAWA and AA will do with the T4.5 project is consolidate and expand the T5 and T4 TSA checkpoint. It's a solution, not a problem.

There is nothing to believe. The two parties have signed a letter of intent. They have a plan to overcome all the barriers you think exist.

MartijnNL

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:44 am

intotheair wrote:
For me, the flight is so short that there better be a good reason to go through two giant airports on both ends.

For me, that would be the opportunity to watch great amounts of airline traffic and interesting aircraft :wink2:

intotheair

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:36 am

DfwAussie wrote:
usxguy wrote:

People are omitting Southwest. Not hourly, but they fly the route several times a day.

Exactly. WN dominates LA/SD-Bay Area/SMF. They fly pretty much every route pair between LAX/BUR/LGB/SNA/ONT/SAN and SFO/OAK/SJC/SMF. They're stronger in some airports than others, but of the stronger ones, they essentially offer shuttle routes. AA, DL, and UA all do what they can on LAX-SFO with as much frequency as possible, and UA beats AA and DL on gauge because they have hubs on both ends. I think it's fair to say that the SoCal-Bay Area O&D pretty decidedly prefers WN over all the other options, with AS+VX trying to give WN a run for their money.

MartijnNL wrote:
intotheair wrote:
For me, the flight is so short that there better be a good reason to go through two giant airports on both ends.

For me, that would be the opportunity to watch great amounts of airline traffic and interesting aircraft :wink2:

Hah! I am a fan of that as well. So much so that I will occasionally drive out to Dockweiler Beach to watch the takeoffs on days when I don't have anything going on. I guess I was thinking more of from the passenger experience of having to go through security at a much larger airport, dealing with larger crowds, and negotiating how to get to and from the airport. But once I've cleared security, I do enjoy the planespotting at LAX and SFO. However, I will say that BUR and LGB also offer great views of aircraft in passenger terminals that are essentially on the ramp, even if it's all narrowbodies. :)
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos