Blankbarcode
Topic Author

Another (doomed) Pan Am startup?

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Hey all,

Didn't find any threads discussing this yet, but there seems to be a wikipedia article about another Pan American World Airways startup. Supposedly, out of KXNA of all places.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Ameri ... ways_(2016)

Of course I totally understand to take this all with a pinch of salt, especially with the lack of references and sources (there's a whole 2 on that page!), but I thought maybe it would be an interesting discussion. Maybe someone has seen something to legitimize it? A fleet of 41 would definitely be noticeable, even if it were just SR22s and Citations. Frankly, just like Eastern I'm just ready for the Pan Am name to stay in the past. Who knows, maybe it's another Metropolitan

Below is also their supposed website
https://panam.com/

Slcpilot

Re: Another (doomed) Pan Am startup?

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:57 pm

The Wiki link is hilarious! It shows a "fleet" that includes 20 Eclipse 500s. It also shows 9 passengers beside that aircraft type. I'd almost pay money to see 9 people get in an Eclipse 500, let alone fly in it!

Maybe it's total number of passengers carried so far ;) !

Cheers!

Ps. In retrospect, it looks like the orders and passenger columns are swapped.
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

VolvoBus

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Isn't the Pan Am name and globe logo owned by a railroad company ?

travaz

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:10 pm

There is the Pan Am flight school. They are pretty successful. According to thier website they are the largest supplier of pilots to ANA

https://www.panamacademy.com/

beeweel15

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:28 pm

Last time I heard the logo was owned by a rail road. However looking at the site it seems like a booking agent for biz jets not an airline.

LightningZ71

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Maybe the Pan Am name is just what a new SST startup needs to wear? Boom is going to be looking for customers. A unique name for a unique service.

DocLightning

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:08 pm

One day, people are going to understand that trying to resurrect failed airlines isn't going to work. If Pan Am was such a great idea, they'd be one of the US3 now. Pan Am was the victim of poor internal management and an obsolete business model.

If you are going to start a new airline in the U.S., you need to come up with an airline that differentiates itself from the current offerings. At present, I don't see much of a space in the marketplace. We have three ULCCs (NK, F9, and G4), two mid-sized "happy carriers" (AS/VA and B6), WN, which is kind of its own thing, and the US3 (and their associated regional carriers). EA had the best idea, which was to start as a charter airline, but even they couldn't keep going.

Honestly, Pan Am was a US major with a business model that wasn't working. It might be cute for UA to paint one of their 77Ws in PA colors (since they absorbed most of the PA route network), but that's about it. In an alternate universe, PA might still be flying but the result would be a modern US3 major that would look like UA with blue and white, rather than the UA branding. And we'd all be fantasizing about bringing back UA.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

nkops

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 pm

VolvoBus wrote:

I believe it is still owned by The Guilford Transportation Co. in Portsmouth.. they operated Pan Am III with 727's and J31's.. I have also seen the globe on railcars they own
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

panampreflight

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:47 pm

travaz wrote:
There is the Pan Am flight school. They are pretty successful. According to their website they are the largest supplier of pilots to ANA

https://www.panamacademy.com/

I have been to the academy and on the second floor they have the PanAm AWARE store. Last time I was there they had the real employees
working there. One was Mary that I met and spoke to every time I went there.

I just learned that Mary has passed, here is the info..

http://www.panam.org/community/390-a-tr ... goshgarian

panampreflight

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm

DocLightning wrote:
One day, people are going to understand that trying to resurrect failed airlines isn't going to work. If Pan Am was such a great idea, they'd be one of the US3 now. Pan Am was the victim of poor internal management and an obsolete business model.

If you are going to start a new airline in the U.S., you need to come up with an airline that differentiates itself from the current offerings. At present, I don't see much of a space in the marketplace. We have three ULCCs (NK, F9, and G4), two mid-sized "happy carriers" (AS/VA and B6), WN, which is kind of its own thing, and the US3 (and their associated regional carriers). EA had the best idea, which was to start as a charter airline, but even they couldn't keep going.

Honestly, Pan Am was a US major with a business model that wasn't working. It might be cute for UA to paint one of their 77Ws in PA colors (since they absorbed most of the PA route network), but that's about it. In an alternate universe, PA might still be flying but the result would be a modern US3 major that would look like UA with blue and white, rather than the UA branding. And we'd all be fantasizing about bringing back UA.

Something to ponder...

jfk777

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Pan Am Flight Academy is owned by ANA of Japan.

SkyVoice

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:28 am

(With apologies to Emerson, Lake & Palmer) "WELCOME BACK, MY FRIENDS, TO THE SHOW THAT NEVER ENDS ! ! !"

Well, there does appear to be a bit more going on with the Pan Am name than I & others thought. The "old" Pan Am website, the one that has an air-to-air pic of the "Clipper Shenandoah" (it's a Jetstream 31) on its homepage, has been spiffed up. Here's a link . . . http://flypanam.com
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

N644US

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 pm

nkops wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:

I believe it is still owned by The Guilford Transportation Co. in Portsmouth.. they operated Pan Am III with 727's and J31's.. I have also seen the globe on railcars they own

Pan Am Systems (formerly Guilford Transportation Industries) is based in Portsmouth. They have two subsidiaries: Pan Am Railways and Pan Am Southern.

Guilford Rail Systems is now Pan Am Railways, and their base is in North Billerica. They are a mix of BM, MEC, ST, and PTM and have trains from Ayer to Worcester, and between Boston and Mattawamkeag. They also own track between many other cities in Maine and New Hampshire.
Pan Am Southern is a joint-railroad between Pan Am Railways and Norfolk Southern. They are operated by ST on the Patriot Corridor between Ayer and Mechanicville.

Legally speaking, the Pan Am name, colours, and logo was bought by Pan Am Systems in 1998, which it then used from 2006 onwards. I highly doubt anyone could use it from here onwards without buying it from PAS.
Aviation: the field where (almost) anything can be solved using math and science.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos