V8CHRGD
Topic Author

787 Walls moving in turbulence

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:04 am

Hi Guys,

New member here but i have come to this site and read a fair few threads in the past (hopefully im posting this in the rite section).

Anyway i recently was on a 787-8 and going through turbulence i could literally see the wall beside me moving around back and forth. I don't remember seeing it on a previous flight on a 787 (or any plane model) that also went through some chop. Has any one else seen this? Was it poor fitment of the interior or do the walls just move on this plane?

Just thought i would ask the buff's here to see if they have any info. Here is a recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkFqBz1VGDI

Appreciate any feedback, cheers.

BawliBooch

Re: 787 Walls moving in turbulence

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:26 am

This actually happened to me as well but only it was on a B747 flying towards LHR.

Either it was the poor workmanship that Boeing is so (in)famous for or the after-effect of the "special" cookies I had in my carry-on.

I had just one cookie, so It must be something to do with Boeing.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

Maverick623

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:37 am

They're just plastic panels attached at the top and bottom. Happens on all airplanes, especially noticeable on an A32x when using full reverse on landing.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

fra-flyer

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:58 am

Funny, I just flew with a 789 and felt the same! Never experienced that before BUT I never witnessed a seat being that close to the outer wall, so that might be the reason to actually feel it more.
Greetings from Frankfurt

speedbored

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:06 am

I doubt it is shoddy workmanship or poor maintenance.

Improvements in computer modelling, and the never ending drive for weight savings, mean that cosmetic structures such as these have been becoming ever more flimsy over the years.

A certain amount of flexibility is also designed in, in order to reduce the possibility of fatigue damage, and to reduce the shock loads that are transmitted to more important parts of the structure during severe turbulence.

btw, some of what you are seeing in that video will also likely be the floor flexing, as well as the wall.

hotelbravo

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:21 am

The key point with the 787 (and A350) is that it has a carbon-fibre fuselage, which like the wings, is more flexible (but just as strong) as the aluminium alloy used traditionally. So I think it would make sense that the 787/A350 fuselages would show a little more flex than those of other aircraft.

LAX772LR

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:27 am

To be honest, the more things flex when forces are imposed upon them... the happier I am. And same for the airlines, as IINM it's generally indicative of efficiency.

Takes a lot of reinforcement to keep something stiff when a force is acting upon it. If it doesn't need to stay still, why design it too?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

HighBypass

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:12 am

The wall is not moving. Let us recalibrate our eyes. What we are seeing is the seat bobbling about upon its tracks under the weight of the passenger ahead of you and not trim movement.

Keep in mind that the inner walls are trim (and not structural) and if the fuselage barrel of the 787 (or any aircraft) warped enough to cause the trim panels to wobble, they would be fairly useless pressure vessels.

V8CHRGD
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:50 am

HighBypass wrote:
The wall is not moving. Let us recalibrate our eyes. What we are seeing is the seat bobbling about upon its tracks under the weight of the passenger ahead of you and not trim movement.

Keep in mind that the inner walls are trim (and not structural) and if the fuselage barrel of the 787 (or any aircraft) warped enough to cause the trim panels to wobble, they would be fairly useless pressure vessels.

The walls were definitely moving, i remember putting my hand on it and feeling it move. Its a little hard to see in the video because i am moving with the bumps but its most noticeable at about 00:40.

debonair

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:07 am

V8CHRGD wrote:
I don't remember seeing it on a previous flight on a 787 (or any plane model) that also went through some chop. Has any one else seen this? Was it poor fitment of the interior or do the walls just move on this plane?

I posted this 2 years ago - and still continues. In my own opinion a disaster from Boeing.

Two years ago I flew KQ's newest B788 and during take-off roll the side panels were shaking, vibrating - as well as the toilet cubicles. I thought this would be once in a lifetime. But last week I flew RJ's B788 and again - this time even worse, as the gap between the side panels was as huge as my hand (from the side). Okay, can happen. I connected to a brand new VN B789 - and guess what happened? Again during take-off the same phenomena, but on top a strange sound, if two parts rub/hit against each other... Very difficult to describe. During disembarkation, I could see large holes and gaps between between the galley and the toilets - that could explain the strange noise I heard during take off.

tonystan

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:20 am

It's plastic panelling, it's only fixed to the fuselage at certain points and designed to offer flex so that they don't catch and pop out.

Perfectly normal, has been for decades.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

j380

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:31 am

It happens on every aircraft. If interior panels and fixtures were completely rigid they would crack or as mentioned above pop out of place. Also remember the differences in cabin pressure are constantly changing - Fixtures and panels need to cater for this as well.

Cointrin330

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:38 am

I don't think this is unique to the 787 and I've experienced this on a number of aircraft. it's more noticeable probably on a wide body and I think this is due to the fact that the walls are designed to move around like that in turbulence. They are still anchored but the flexibility actually helps to avoid any injuries or problems with it becoming detached. I noticed this on a 787-9 flight to MEL from LAX last year during a few minutes of turbulence on the climb out from LAX but I don't think it's unique to the 787.

Newbiepilot

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:38 am

speedbored wrote:
I doubt it is shoddy workmanship or poor maintenance.

Improvements in computer modelling, and the never ending drive for weight savings, mean that cosmetic structures such as these have been becoming ever more flimsy over the years.

A certain amount of flexibility is also designed in, in order to reduce the possibility of fatigue damage, and to reduce the shock loads that are transmitted to more important parts of the structure during severe turbulence.

btw, some of what you are seeing in that video will also likely be the floor flexing, as well as the wall.

That is the same explanation that I have heard. The drive for more fuel efficiency has resulted in weight reductions everywhere. While the interior make look and appear flimsy, it is strong enough to do its job. In past planes interior panels may have appeared sturdier and didn't have the flexing and movement that we see on the 787, they are heavier resulting in higher fuel burn.

dc9northwest

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:51 am

Pretty sure the whole plane moves in turbulence, not just the walls.

777222LR

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Rigid structures break when there is extreme movement. Let's put this into perspective. I live in Oklahoma (granted, we are starting to have a lot of earthquakes due to well-injection sites, but let's put that aside). In California, because of frequent earthquakes, homes are built to withstand movement. The structures are less rigid and more flexible. Now, let's consider how much shaking actually goes on in a plane. A LOT! Probably equivalent to the most violent earthquakes. So just like the homes in Oklahoma are built more rigid, less capable of moving, they are more likely to crumble during a severe earthquake. More flexible structures, like those in California, withstand this, because they are flexible. Same goes with an airplane. Rigid doesn't mean stronger. In fact, rigid can be a design flaw. It would be in the case of an airplane. Especially a large one. All plane manufacturers take this into consideration when joining parts in an aircraft.

kimimm19

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Has to be the interior cabin panels as the actual fuselage materials on the 787 are actually stronger because of the composite materials which is why it can have a lower cabin pressure.

B737900ER

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:23 pm

j380 wrote:
It happens on every aircraft. If interior panels and fixtures were completely rigid they would crack or as mentioned above pop out of place. Also remember the differences in cabin pressure are constantly changing - Fixtures and panels need to cater for this as well.

This

All interior panels flex. If you look down the aisle at the overhead bins on a 737 or 320 during takeoff and landing you'll sometimes see the entire row flexing back and forth. It's supposed to do that and has nothing to do with shoddy workmanship or carbon fiber fuselages.

exunited

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:28 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
This actually happened to me as well but only it was on a B747 flying towards LHR.

Either it was the poor workmanship that Boeing is so (in)famous for or the after-effect of the "special" cookies I had in my carry-on.

Since Airbus wall panels also move do they also have shoddy workmanship? Enjoy your special cookies, maybe the special cookie dogs will sniff them out next time.

nine4nine

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:41 pm

I recently saw this happen on an A330 between LAX and HNL during some intense turbulence. We sat behind the Forward galley behind first class. Noticed not only the galley walls but the center overhead bin really moving and flexing and opening and closing gaps exposing never seen areas behind. My wife pointed out cheap engineering. I corrected her (I'm an architectural designer in CA and take quake movements into account) that it may appear flimsy but it is designed that way to absorb shock of turbulence/rough landings etc... that if it were fixed solidly in place the pieces would with crack or break free.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

nikeherc

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:52 pm

I have been flying since 1966. I have observed this phenomenon on everything from D.C.-9s to L1011s and 777s. It is perfectly normal. Airplanes are designed using elastic design principles. It means that they flex and shake, but return to their original state once the external forces and loads are removed. If you've ever watched the engines on a 707 taxiing or in turbulence, you will understand. If the wings flex, the fuselage has to flex also, or the wings would break off. Relax and enjoy the ride.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

IslandRob

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 pm

nikeherc wrote:
If the wings flex...

Oh my god! You mean the wings move around too in these flying death traps??!! -ir
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

ImperialEagle

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:36 pm

j380 wrote:

Exactly.

I recall standing in the aisle of the front of a stretched-8 looking towards the aft section and you could clearly see the whole tube bending and bobbing through some chop.

Experienced some moderate plus turbulence on a NA B-721 years ago in a typical Florida summer storm. My arm was resting between the seat arm and the sidewall when we hit a deep pocket and I could feel my arm getting pinched.

A brittle tree breaks in the wind, a flexible tree survives it ----by bending.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

787Mech

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:54 pm

The lateral movement on the sidewalls are perfectly normal. They're designed in such a way to offer slight movement and, the way they are attached is rock solid - clips bolted to seattracks, sillplate and then the sidewall, among other fastening methods which are not relevant . They do not easily come out and require tooling to remove.

DDR

Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:12 pm

V8CHRGD wrote:
Hi Guys,

New member here but i have come to this site and read a fair few threads in the past (hopefully im posting this in the rite section).

Anyway i recently was on a 787-8 and going through turbulence i could literally see the wall beside me moving around back and forth. I don't remember seeing it on a previous flight on a 787 (or any plane model) that also went through some chop. Has any one else seen this? Was it poor fitment of the interior or do the walls just move on this plane?

Just thought i would ask the buff's here to see if they have any info. Here is a recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkFqBz1VGDI

Good thing you never flew on an L-1011. You would swear the ceiling was going to collapse during the takeoff run. It shook and shuddered all the way down the runway, but as soon as the plane was airborn, it was smooth as silk.

_AA_777_MAN

Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Had the same experience on a turbulent final approach on a FR 320 PUJ-ORD.

AirbusA343

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Kind of irrelevant but I do remember I was on a 739 once and the window was vibrating and shaking at take off and our climb to cruising altitude (if it matters, then specifically TC-JYM of TK).

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:13 pm

As an Mechanical Engineer I will emphasize that flexibility is a very very good thing. It prevents all kinds of future failures. From a design standpoint about the only thing I think does not need flexibility to increase its useful life is a paper-weight.

Have a great day,

Virginblue4

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:25 pm

BawliBooch wrote:

Explain this then..... the flying washing machine! :lol:

https://youtu.be/TNMrYHd8sxs
712 738 744 752 762 763 764 320 321 332 F70 Q400
BE BY DL MT PC V7 VS WA ZB 6Y

n757kw

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:32 pm

DDR wrote:
V8CHRGD wrote:
Hi Guys,

Good thing you never flew on an L-1011. You would swear the ceiling was going to collapse during the takeoff run. It shook and shuddered all the way down the runway, but as soon as the plane was airborn, it was smooth as silk.

DDR, you beat me to my observation about the L-1011. One of my last flights on a DL L-1011 it seemed everything was moving on taxi and departure. The ceiling fixtures, center luggage bins and me. There was so much squeeking and vibration it was almost comical.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

FlyHappy

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:46 pm

V8CHRGD wrote:
Hi Guys,

as many others have said, the lightweight cosmetic wall panels are certainly moving and flexing, but personally, I think your filming is demonstrating more "floor flex" than anything else. the floor only needs to flex a bit (to which the seats are anchored) for the video to highly exaggerate the perception of movement of the sidewall (to which the camera POV is at an extreme angle) and particularly the interior plastic window which is easily distorted (and optically distorting your perception) with just a little finger pressure. I can see the same distortion on the seatback in front of you, which is at a right angle, and is clear proof that your hand/camera (and likely seat) are moving significantly relative to the seat cluster in front of you.

I have almost 50 years of flights on numerous aircraft types and what I saw looks completely typical to my eye. The one thing that has changed over the years (aside from lighter weight/thinner/more flexing interior treatment) is the far better weather forecasting and conservative weather avoidance, thus - less turbulence experienced. Inflight turbulence and vomiting pax used to be a routine "feature" - thankfully, this is a rarer occurrence!

Aptivaboy

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:58 pm

All interior panels flex. If you look down the aisle at the overhead bins on a 737 or 320 during takeoff and landing you'll sometimes see the entire row flexing back and forth. It's supposed to do that and has nothing to do with shoddy workmanship or carbon fiber fuselages.

Yup. Ever see that on a looonnngggggg 757 aisle? I was sitting at the back of a CO 753, second to last row in seat D, flying from Gatwick to Cleveland and looking up the aisle during some significant chop the entire plane seemed to be bending and twisting!

Planetalk

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:22 pm

I've noticed on my 787 flights that despite being newer the interiors seem rather cheaper, and frankly more shoddily installed, than on other planes.

ClipperYankee

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:48 pm

I've had two recent 787 flights and did notice any movement at all, and one of them bumped around quite a bit over eastern Canada. The one time it's ever caught my eye was on a CX A332 from SIN to HKG, where from the rear of the aircraft forward you could see a lot of movement. However, in several other A330s that I've flown on I've never seen it again. As far as 787 side panel quality, maybe there are some options on what you order there and it varies by airline? They did not look cheaper than previous airliners on my 787 flights.
707/717/727/737-100,200,300,400,500,700,800/747-200,300,400/757-200,300/767-300,400
772/788&9/DC3/DC6/DC8/DC9/DC10/MD80s/L1011/A300/A319,320,321/A332&3/A343/A359/A388/
BAE146/ATP/ATR42/DHC2,3,7,8/S340B/CRJ200,700,900/E140,145,175,190/F70,100/B1900

n797mx

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:48 pm

The A340 was horrible for the shakes. I know some pilots who would call it the French Maraca.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-gKyWdm0kU
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

nikeherc

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:53 pm

The old D.C.-8s had a padded bolster running the entire length of the cabin on each side instead of a window seat outside armrest. It could be quite disconcerting to feel it pulling away from you in even moderate chop.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

787Mech

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:13 pm

The sidewalls are all the same in regards to materials, only variance would be for potential wiring, if even. They are very well made for their intent.

IPFreely

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:25 pm

BawliBooch wrote:

Please elaborate on this (in)famous poor workmanship. I would like to know more.

XLA2008

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:08 pm

777222LR wrote:
Rigid structures break when there is extreme movement. Let's put this into perspective. I live in Oklahoma (granted, we are starting to have a lot of earthquakes due to well-injection sites, but let's put that aside). In California, because of frequent earthquakes, homes are built to withstand movement. The structures are less rigid and more flexible. Now, let's consider how much shaking actually goes on in a plane. A LOT! Probably equivalent to the most violent earthquakes. So just like the homes in Oklahoma are built more rigid, less capable of moving, they are more likely to crumble during a severe earthquake. More flexible structures, like those in California, withstand this, because they are flexible. Same goes with an airplane. Rigid doesn't mean stronger. In fact, rigid can be a design flaw. It would be in the case of an airplane. Especially a large one. All plane manufacturers take this into consideration when joining parts in an aircraft.

I agree with you totally on that, the designs are less frigid to allow for movement in such instances, it's normal for almost all aircraft, or at least newer aircraft!
And as for earthquakes, that big one we had here in Oklahoma last year put cracks in my ceiling and walls! Nice to see another Okie around!
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

aerolimani

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:14 pm

V8CHRGD wrote:
HighBypass wrote:

The walls were definitely moving, i remember putting my hand on it and feeling it move. Its a little hard to see in the video because i am moving with the bumps but its most noticeable at about 00:40.

As others have pointed out, everything is moving; you, the walls, the seat, and every part of the plane. It's all a matter of perception. If you believe that you and the seats are stable, then the walls are moving. If you believe that the walls are stable, then you and the seats are moving.

Most people consider the ground to be stable, and everything that moves is doing so in relation to terra firma. In a plane, you know longer have that reference. Thus, one can't say that they are stable and the walls are moving or vice-versa. What can be observed is whether the walls are flexing (changing shape). Unfortunately, in the video, there is no evidence that the walls are changing shape. All that can be observed is that the relative positions in space, of the wall panel and seat, are changing.

What I would be curious to know is just how much the fuselage can flex. We certainly know what the wings can do: https://youtu.be/--LTYRTKV_A

caoimhin

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Planetalk wrote:
I've noticed on my 787 flights that despite being newer the interiors seem rather cheaper, and frankly more shoddily installed, than on other planes.

Is that so? Could you explain which airlines operate the airliners on which you've made this observation of "shoddily" installed interiors?

I fly on 789s often and have never noticed anything of the sort.

IPFreely

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:48 pm

Planetalk wrote:

Could you elaborate? I can understand different planes may use somewhat different materials and some -- especially trim -- might look cheaper than others. But regarding installation, how does a passenger judge a wall that is well installed vs. a wall that is shoddily installed?

Putting it in terms that homeowners can understand, some kitchen counters will look good (granite, marble, etc.), and some will look cheap (laminate) at a glance. But that glance says nothing about the quality of shoddiness of installation. Cheap materials will always look cheap even with top quality installation.

sandyb123

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Slightly off topic but relevant, I remember taking off from SIN on a 773ER and looking down the corridor from the front and you could see the entire aircraft flexing as it accelerated and took off. I was slightly shocked at the time but put it down to normal flex.

On another flight I went for a walk (again a 773ER) and the rear galley was wobbling quite a lot (something you could not feel in other parts of the aircraft). I asked the crew about it and they were very relaxed as apparently this is common place 'speed wobble' on the 773 because it is so long.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

dtw2hyd

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:03 am

Doubt anything unique with Boeing or B787, weight reduction is the motto. The way aviation innovation works, some supplier figures out a way to reduce weight, and every aircraft manufacturer jumps on the bandwagon.

As long as some computer model doesn't show 2mm fancy space-age material has the same comfort level as 2-inch seat cushions, I am OK with thin wall panels. Slimline seats are already hurting rear-ends.

Gr8Circle

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:41 am

I noticed once, when I was sitting in the last row of an A320, landing was quite hard and the entire rear section of the plane seemed to wobble momentarily when we touched down......

KentB27

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:12 am

It's perfectly normal for aircraft to flex and bend a little bit in turbulence. In fact I was on a UA 777-200 and when we landed in Frankfurt the captain really slammed it down! I could see the overhead bins and bulkheads move in relation to each other from the impact. These planes are designed accordingly to handle this sorts of things. It's more noticeable on longer airplanes. If you ever get the chance to sit in the back of a very long aircraft like an A340-600 you can see the sides of the fuselage swaying around in turbulence if you look really closely.

325i

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:41 am

N797mx is spot on . Flew on a 340 up front some years ago and the floor was "rocking" like a wobble board. The comment from the cabin crew was "you should be flying it, the guys up front do their best !"

CO953

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:15 am

n757kw wrote:
DDR wrote:
V8CHRGD wrote:
Hi Guys,

DDR, you beat me to my observation about the L-1011. One of my last flights on a DL L-1011 it seemed everything was moving on taxi and departure. The ceiling fixtures, center luggage bins and me. There was so much squeeking and vibration it was almost comical.

N757KW

Heh, both of you beat me to it. Last time I flew on a DL L-1011 (it was a -500) was 2000 and it had only a few more flights to go before the desert and when the takeoff roll started you're right -Those grids up above just shaking left to right and the center luggage compartments and all that noise. Every piece of the interior was in motion in a different direction. It was almost comical.

I fully expected the Three Stooges to pop out of the lav with pipe wrenches and go to work :)

garpd

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:29 am

I've seen floor, ceiling and wall panels move on most of my flights when it gets bumpy, be it a Boeing, an Airbus, an Embraer or a Bombardier. They need to move and flex with the fuselage. Non event. Move on!
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Dalmd88

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:06 am

Maverick623 wrote:
They're just plastic panels attached at the top and bottom. Happens on all airplanes, especially noticeable on an A32x when using full reverse on landing.

Actually they slide into a slot at the top and have screws attaching them to the frame along each side. a little thin strip is slid up between the panels to cover the gap and the screws. You are correct that the panels are quite flimsy.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos