wenders825

Re: OAG Changes 6/25/2017:EK MCO Back to Daily;AA PHX-YEG in Winter;AM Drops MTY-DTW Adds LAX; WN

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:25 am

commavia wrote:
Vctony wrote:
LIT and TUL make some sense (TUL moreso). However, with the latest Eagle additions it seems that COS, ICT, OKC, and YYC would make a bit more sense than any of these. Mainline BNA, MSY, and RDU seem to be the biggest holes and with WN cutting BNA and MSY it seems that AA could have some opportunity there.

While AA's capacity overall in PHX is down since the merger, I've been happily proven wrong about AA's ability to harness PHX's geography, place within the broader AA network and a fleet of RJs (that Southwest obviously can't match) to make some interesting adds out of PHX. With that said, all of the above - gate availability allowing - seem plausible to me:

* daily A319 to BNA, MSY and RDU
* daily CR9 to ICT*, OKC and (probably seasonally) YYC
* daily CR7 to COS*, LIT and TUL*

*I could also see COS, TUL and maybe ICT getting a daily CR7 to LAX (maybe twice daily for COS)

it's pretty amazing AA doesn't do PHX-COS, I'd have to imagine that's one of their most glaring markets. they'll do GJT and MTJ but not COS? pretty surprising!

BNA, MSY, and RDU are all overdue and AA is strong in all three markets, plus WN cuts and they only do PHX-RDU once daily. I believe all three were previously HP markets too? surprising there hasn't been a return.

I don't believe AA has cut a route outright out of PHX since the merger aside from YEG and YYC but now that we have Edmonton back that's it. someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Vctony

Re: OAG Changes 6/25/2017:EK MCO Back to Daily;AA PHX-YEG in Winter;AM Drops MTY-DTW Adds LAX; WN

Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:36 am

wenders825 wrote:
commavia wrote:
Vctony wrote:
LIT and TUL make some sense (TUL moreso). However, with the latest Eagle additions it seems that COS, ICT, OKC, and YYC would make a bit more sense than any of these. Mainline BNA, MSY, and RDU seem to be the biggest holes and with WN cutting BNA and MSY it seems that AA could have some opportunity there.

While AA's capacity overall in PHX is down since the merger, I've been happily proven wrong about AA's ability to harness PHX's geography, place within the broader AA network and a fleet of RJs (that Southwest obviously can't match) to make some interesting adds out of PHX. With that said, all of the above - gate availability allowing - seem plausible to me:

*I could also see COS, TUL and maybe ICT getting a daily CR7 to LAX (maybe twice daily for COS)

it's pretty amazing AA doesn't do PHX-COS, I'd have to imagine that's one of their most glaring markets. they'll do GJT and MTJ but not COS? pretty surprising!

BNA, MSY, and RDU are all overdue and AA is strong in all three markets, plus WN cuts and they only do PHX-RDU once daily. I believe all three were previously HP markets too? surprising there hasn't been a return.

I don't believe AA has cut a route outright out of PHX since the merger aside from YEG and YYC but now that we have Edmonton back that's it. someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I want to say that FLL was cut since the merger and ANC was made seasonal.

BNA, MSY, and RDU along with BDL, CLE, IAD, and YYZ wee the major airports that US cut from PHX. Coincidentally all are served by AA from LAX except for CLE (which AA tried from PHX post merger).

AA has slowly been adding back some former HP markets (ASE, EUG, FSD, JAN, MEM, and MFR have had service reinstated recently with MEM upgraded from regional to mainline in fairly short order). They tried to re-start CLE but it didn't last. Remaining HP regional markets cut under US that AA hasn't added are BIL, COS, FCA, ICT, and OKC, Of course, AA has also added a host of other markets that US didn't serve such as IFP, LBB, MAF, RDM, ROW, SGU, and STS

Frequency in many markets is down and gauge has changed as LAA 738s took over for LUS A319s, A320s, and A321s on many routes. The LAA 738s now account for approximately 30% of all mainline departures. PHX is also almost entirely a 2 class operation (SGU is the only regularly scheduled CRJ-200 destination, everything else is either mainline or a CRJ-700 or CRJ-900) with CRJ-200s only subbing in for MX reasons on other routes.

phxsanslcpdx

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:33 am

wenders825 wrote:
commavia wrote:
Vctony wrote:

I think AA's discipline in turning down marginal opportunities is part of what keeps Phoenix profitable. But I agree these are all reasonably likely adds over the coming years.

Re: COS, my experience is that Colorado Springs just doesn't have much in the way of business or cultural ties with Phoenix, so there's not all that much demand. Contrasted with GJT and the western slope, which has closer ties and consistently sells more seats. As long as G4 and F9 are serving COS, I don't see AA choosing to jump in.

Anyone have a sense yet of how PHX-IFP's performing?

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Vctony wrote:

AA has slowly been adding back some former HP markets (ASE, EUG, FSD, JAN, MEM, and MFR have had service reinstated recently with MEM upgraded from regional to mainline in fairly short order). They tried to re-start CLE but it didn't last. Remaining HP regional markets cut under US that AA hasn't added are BIL, COS, FCA, ICT, and OKC, Of course, AA has also added a host of other markets that US didn't serve such as IFP, LBB, MAF, RDM, ROW, SGU, and STS

JAC and not JAN, right? Jackson Hole and not Jackson MS?

It's always surprised me that COS, ICT, and OKC haven't been reconnected to PHX. Westbound passengers in ICT and OKC at least have the opportunity to connect to AA in DFW, but that's not practical for COS.

Rdh3e

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Pretty simple on COS-PHX, COS is priced competitive with DEN and the others are not. As a result COS-PHX average fares are less than half what they are in DRO, GJT and MTJ.

Vctony

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:41 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
Vctony wrote:

JAC and not JAN, right? Jackson Hole and not Jackson MS?

It's always surprised me that COS, ICT, and OKC haven't been reconnected to PHX. Westbound passengers in ICT and OKC at least have the opportunity to connect to AA in DFW, but that's not practical for COS.

Yes, I meant JAC.

intotheair

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
Pretty simple on COS-PHX, COS is priced competitive with DEN and the others are not. As a result COS-PHX average fares are less than half what they are in DRO, GJT and MTJ.

Yes. There's a ton of spillage from COS into DEN. Anyone from COS who wants to go to PHX will likely end up driving up to DEN. PHX is the #2 destination from DEN with a boatload of competition, frequency, and low fares, so a handful of RJs into COS wouldn't really accomplish much.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos