jplatts

Re: Largest cities not served by WN

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:48 am

The largest South American city that is within the range of Boeing 737 planes from HOU is LIM, which is 3120 miles south of HOU.

SyracuseAvGeek

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:33 am

LotsaRunway wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
TucsonDave wrote:
SW should have been in SYR years ago. The airport has the location, the infrastructure, and the catchment area, reaching from the Northern Tier of PA and Southern Tier of NY, across Central and Northern NY, and into SE Ontario. I blame clueless local leadership, in both the public and private sectors, as well as high landing fees, for the lack of SW service at SYR. The CEO of B6 publicly stated SYR could easily handle significantly more traffic if the cost of landing at SYR were not so unreasonable. Now that the airport is run by a regional authority, as opposed to being owned and operated exclusively by the city, maybe things will change.

I hope they change, I talked to someone at the airport and they said they have been constantly trying to get SW here. Maybe they would start DAL service, although if BUF doesn't have it then neither will we.

I would speculate that if SYR is fortunate enough to attract WN service, it would be as a small station with 3 to BWI for most of the year. Maybe one of those frequencies would switch to MCO during the winter months. I just don't see more with ROC struggling for WN service just 80 miles away, and it's a larger metropolitan area. If WN added 100 seaters to their fleet, the math of possibilities at SYR changes significantly.

ROC also had trouble because of the overflooding of the ROC- Chicago (ORD, MDW) market. UA serves that route frequently with mainline aircraft (A320, 737-700/800/900) and SYR got their first ORD mainline service in June.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

mtnwest1979

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:34 am

Glad to hear things in Fresno on upswing. NOw if they could get Bulldog football team to become second best in MWC again lol.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

TucsonDave

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:24 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:
Additionally to WV talk, the population certainly isn't getting bigger. CRW really didn't have much back when it was over 70,000 people in early 80s. At just clinging to over 50,000, prospects won't improve much IMO.

For Fresno, what percentage of population is well off enough to travel enough to make it a viable location? Having lived, visited and read about the San Joaquin Valley as a whole, having 1,000,000 people does no good if they cant afford to travel.

I think SYR area is covered well enough by ROC to west. Don't believe enough would travel the distance from north of the border considering easier to get to other locations. But I know some that would appreciate SYR service.

The only US city that I would like to see WN start is ANC. I really couldn't care less about Hawai'i, Caribbean, or any other international destination for that matter.

Last time I was in Kingston, Ontario, and that was a few years ago, I saw shuttle vans advertising transportation to the SYR Airport. I would challenge anyone who thinks SYR does not have travelers from north of the border to canvas the airport parking garages and lots and take note of the number of Ontario (and even some Quebec) license plates there. I would submit that if anything, it makes far more sense for SW to serve SYR than ROC. After all, folks in Rochester only have a drive of little more than an hour to the BUF airport. As for me, when visiting in the SYR area, I have used the ALB airport. It's farther from SYR than ROC, true,
but it is a very pleasant, compact and easily accessible airport in my opinion. I have spoken with SW ticket agents in ALB who have told me they get complaints every day bout the lack of SE service in SYR.

jbpdx

Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Eugene
Major airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU; +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:42 pm

TucsonDave wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:
Additionally to WV talk, the population certainly isn't getting bigger. CRW really didn't have much back when it was over 70,000 people in early 80s. At just clinging to over 50,000, prospects won't improve much IMO.

For Fresno, what percentage of population is well off enough to travel enough to make it a viable location? Having lived, visited and read about the San Joaquin Valley as a whole, having 1,000,000 people does no good if they cant afford to travel.

I think SYR area is covered well enough by ROC to west. Don't believe enough would travel the distance from north of the border considering easier to get to other locations. But I know some that would appreciate SYR service.

The only US city that I would like to see WN start is ANC. I really couldn't care less about Hawai'i, Caribbean, or any other international destination for that matter.

Last time I was in Kingston, Ontario, and that was a few years ago, I saw shuttle vans advertising transportation to the SYR Airport. I would challenge anyone who thinks SYR does not have travelers from north of the border to canvas the airport parking garages and lots and take note of the number of Ontario (and even some Quebec) license plates there. I would submit that if anything, it makes far more sense for SW to serve SYR than ROC. After all, folks in Rochester only have a drive of little more than an hour to the BUF airport. As for me, when visiting in the SYR area, I have used the ALB airport. It's farther from SYR than ROC, true,
but it is a very pleasant, compact and easily accessible airport in my opinion. I have spoken with SW ticket agents in ALB who have told me they get complaints every day bout the lack of SE service in SYR.

I don't know how possible it is but do you think SW would move from ROC to SYR?
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

mtnwest1979

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:27 pm

TucsonDave wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:

Looking at a map, on the north side of the border from SYR the only place of decent population is Kingston. Next closest of any good size is Ottawa, then Montreal to east of that. They are a much easier drive to Burlington, VT than SYR. I would assume fares form both would be similar. I agree ROC is only there and also easy drive to BUF. What does SYR have locally other than SU to bring people in? Anything unique to area?
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:31 pm

SYR does get alot of Canadian travelers. Not the percentage that Pittsburgh, Burlington, Watertown get but yes lots of Canadians use the airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos