Arq

Re: Thai looking to buy around 30 aircraft to modernise fleet

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:09 am

MooLor wrote:
their 777 are still 9 abreast in Y and they have just been awarded Skytrax 'best economy cabin'

I am expecting a bad news on that. Having my fingercrossed that the rumor I have heard is not true.

Anyway, Thai seemed to have slightly better relationship with Airbus. We used to be the largest A300 operator in Asia, with maintenance facility at DMK (still using code BKK back then) A330 has seen a long life and the new fleet with RR engine+new AVOD are ordered to replace those early build ones while 772 is just retrofitted with new seat and outdated entertainment system.

From that observation, couple with the news that Airbus will build a new MRO facility at U-Tapao I would expect Boeing fleet to be marginally outnumbered by A350 and/or A330neo

News about MRO facility agreement, just in case someone get curious

http://airlinegazette.com/airbus-and-th ... -business/

ZK-NBT

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:29 am

Pretty sure I heard TG would reconfigure the 788's for long haul by adding a crew rest?! I'm not sure why when they already had a good regional frame in the A333 that the 788 was added to the mix on short haul when it would be a good frame for TG to use long haul on less than daily routes AKL/BRU etc and increase frequency.

MooLor wrote:
EddieDude wrote:
qfvhoqa wrote:
BKK-SYD is currently 11 weekly. It would probably offer more connection options if Thai downgauged and went double daily.

I am not familiar with SYD. Isn't it a very congested airport with an inconvenient curfew? Would it be easy for TG (or anyone else for that matter) to get slots at desirable times at SYD?

TG currently have a daily SYD morning peak arrival / mid morning departure, which is the only really congested time of the day. The 4 * weekly is a strange night arrival and afternoon departure. Whether this night arrival does the morning departure 4 days per week or sits on the ground for 18 hours on every visit, I don't know.

TG compete with an EK A380 BKK-SYD-BKK, recently upgauged from 77W. QF also have an inferior A330 product on the route. In the face of the EK competition I could see TG reducing SYD to daily and swapping in the A380 for the 744 currently used. They seem to want F into SYD, there must be a need / reason for that.

As to which aircraft TG will purchase ... mostly A350 in preference to 787 IMO. They see / present themselves as a premium airline - their 777 are still 9 abreast in Y and they have just been awarded Skytrax 'best economy cabin' - so I don't see the "more squeezy" 787 as a good fit for their long haul flying.

Having said that, they do use 787 to BNE & PER, so who knows.

I think SYD should be served double daily with smaller frames A350's or something in future, they do need to sort out the second flight but with the SYD curfew they do struggle a bit but a 2215 departure maybe which they have tried before arrives BKK at like 0330 some of the year which isnt great, MH do that now. With only 6 A380's I don't think they will send them to SYD and it would surprise me if they got more. QF have a very good product on their A330 fleet now.

TG are a carrier that need to go 10 abreast 777's IMO, they seem to have high costs and aren't really a premium carrier even if they think they are, fitting as many seats in as possible seems to make more sense to me.

qfvhoqa

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:57 am

MooLor wrote:
TG currently have a daily SYD morning peak arrival / mid morning departure, which is the only really congested time of the day. The 4 * weekly is a strange night arrival and afternoon departure. Whether this night arrival does the morning departure 4 days per week or sits on the ground for 18 hours on every visit, I don't know.

TG compete with an EK A380 BKK-SYD-BKK, recently upgauged from 77W. QF also have an inferior A330 product on the route. In the face of the EK competition I could see TG reducing SYD to daily and swapping in the A380 for the 744 currently used. They seem to want F into SYD, there must be a need / reason for that.

The 4x weekly flights have poor aircraft utilisation - TG471 sits for 20 hours at SYD until the afternoon departure of TG471. I imagine Thai wants to keep the daytime BKK-SYD flight to connect with the morning European/Indian arrival bank. There used to be an overnight SYD-BKK flight but it had an awkward ~4am arrival at BKK. They seem stuck with a long time on the ground if they want a daytime BKK-SYD flight.

Emirates & Qantas compete together against Thai, since the EK-QF JV covers AU-Asia flights too. QF's A330s now have the new onboard product - having flown both a TG 744 and the QF A333 recently, the QF A333 beat the TG 744 hands down. Only the TG cabin crew had QF beat.

Godzilla7

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:00 am

ericm2031 wrote:
With only 2 787-9's coming, I can definitely see that fleet getting bigger.

And just curious, what are the 2 737-400's used for in their fleet?

They are used to fly from Bangkog to Koh-Samui. I flew on one during my vacation this spring. The interior is very old and looks to me like made in the 70s. The need a replacement for that or they should work togethter with Bankkog Airways to shuttle passangers to Koh Samui.

MooLor

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:11 am

qfvhoqa wrote:
Emirates & Qantas compete together against Thai, since the EK-QF JV covers AU-Asia flights too. QF's A330s now have the new onboard product - having flown both a TG 744 and the QF A333 recently, the QF A333 beat the TG 744 hands down. Only the TG cabin crew had QF beat.

To be honest, I haven't personally flown QF International since their first 744 were shiny and new. I'm sure their current A330 cabin are sleek and modern and the IFE state of the art, it's just the 31" seat pitch that puts people off. Whereas TG's 744 Y cabin is "old school" in a good way - comfortable well padded / wide seats and 34" pitch. With decent seat back IFE. I really don't see anything wrong with it - I'd hate to see their award-winning Y cabin go "squeeze them in" cattle class on us like so many airlines have done, but it sounds like I'll be disappointed there.

VRHNM

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 am

How good of a condition are the 777-300As in?

dcaviation

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:24 am

VRHNM wrote:

I can't comment on the frame itself, but inside they are not bad. They have 6 773s and they are early built. For frames from 98, 99 they are in good shape inside.
The only wb plane that I've been on with pretty terrible interior, were flights in 747-400. They are showing their age.
They also have very early built 772s. Are they being replaced by A350s and B787s ?

aaexecplat

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:23 pm

I just flew TG on NRT-BKK-NRT and their hard and soft product on the A380 is the best overall I have flown other than CX on their 77Ws. Fantastically quiet aircraft, beautiful cabin, great FA service, restaurant quality food. And the A380 buffers turbulence beautifully. For pax, flying the A380 is positive and TG's config is better than most. I have flown TG on the A380 in both Y and J. This time, I flew J. Accordingly, I am glad to hear the A380 is here to stay.

irelayer

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:48 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
irelayer wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

They seem to use them exclusively for Samui (USM) ops. Kind of strange because Bangkok Airways uses A319s.

-IR

Can those airports use the Embraer 195-E2, which could replace the 734s? The issue here is that Bangkok Airways built that airport and would want to preserve its own property.

I'm sure if a 734 can do it, an E2 can. PG is still the dominant carrier at the airport, and I'm sure they exact a heavy price from their competitors, and this is reflected in the fare premium. But people pay it, because it's super annoying to get to these islands in a reasonable amount of time. I'm just not sure why TG doesn't use their Thai Smile A320s to fly in and out instead of keeping a dedicated subfleet. Must be more to the story than I am aware of.

-IR

mjoelnir

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 pm

Godzilla7 wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

They are used to fly from Bangkog to Koh-Samui. I flew on one during my vacation this spring. The interior is very old and looks to me like made in the 70s. The need a replacement for that or they should work togethter with Bankkog Airways to shuttle passangers to Koh Samui.

Looking at USMt on Wikipedia having a 2060 x 45 m runway, I really do not see why a A320 or 737-8 should not work.

Boeing778X

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:13 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
seahawk wrote:
777 + 787s - the perfect match.

A350 and A330neo dream team!

No room for the Dreamliner in your "dream team?" :cheeky:
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

TheGeordielad

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Would they order the 787-10 to replace 777-300s?

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Boeing778X wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:
seahawk wrote:

'Raccoon bandit team didn't have the same ring to it!' :)

EddieDude

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:29 pm

MooLor wrote:
TG currently have a daily SYD morning peak arrival / mid morning departure, which is the only really congested time of the day.

Thank you MooLor!
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

VRHNM

Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:39 am

dcaviation wrote:
VRHNM wrote:

I can't comment on the frame itself, but inside they are not bad. They have 6 773s and they are early built. For frames from 98, 99 they are in good shape inside.
The only wb plane that I've been on with pretty terrible interior, were flights in 747-400. They are showing their age.
They also have very early built 772s. Are they being replaced by A350s and B787s ?

I see, perhaps they are a better alternative to EK's B773 for CX to pick up.

ernestxwb

Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:29 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
TG are a carrier that need to go 10 abreast 777's IMO, they seem to have high costs and aren't really a premium carrier even if they think they are, fitting as many seats in as possible seems to make more sense to me.

They aren't a premium carrier? Haven't heard this one before... Their offering is superior to most competitors imo. Some of their 777s and A330s might have a dated cabin but the rest of the fleet looks to have a very nice product. They seem much more premium than a lot of 'premium' airlines in the region imo. Namely CX, MH

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:00 am

ernestxwb wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

They aren't a premium carrier? Haven't heard this one before... Their offering is superior to most competitors imo. Some of their 777s and A330s might have a dated cabin but the rest of the fleet looks to have a very nice product. They seem much more premium than a lot of 'premium' airlines in the region imo. Namely CX, MH

Sure TG offer a good if not a little inconsistent product but they don't serve the most premium market in BKK and Thailand, that doesn't mean they can't have a great product. Do they need an F product? It will only be on the A380 once the 744's go thought that's still a few years off.

MH aren't really a premium carrier either in the market they serve. CX have a very premium home market, doesn't mean they do a good job at it though.

ernestxwb

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:59 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
ernestxwb wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Sure TG offer a good if not a little inconsistent product but they don't serve the most premium market in BKK and Thailand, that doesn't mean they can't have a great product. Do they need an F product? It will only be on the A380 once the 744's go thought that's still a few years off.

MH aren't really a premium carrier either in the market they serve. CX have a very premium home market, doesn't mean they do a good job at it though.

How should having a first class or not affect the quality of their economy class offering/configuration. Their economy class offering is award winning. Just look at the latest Skytrax awards. I'm sure they want to retain their quality. May I ask what airlines do you consider to serve the 'most premium market' of Thailand then? And what makes an airline a 'premium' one??

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:42 am

ernestxwb wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
ernestxwb wrote:

How should having a first class or not affect the quality of their economy class offering/configuration. Their economy class offering is award winning. Just look at the latest Skytrax awards. I'm sure they want to retain their quality. May I ask what airlines do you consider to serve the 'most premium market' of Thailand then? And what makes an airline a 'premium' one??

What does having first class have to do with the Y product? BKK isn't a premium destination in the same way HKG/SIN are. Not many airlines offer F to BKK. Would TG do better with a few more Y seats in place of F. MH don't serve a particularly premium market either whereas CX/SQ do.

RickNRoll

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:09 am

Boeing778X wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Two most modern planes. 787 and A350. :)

dcaviation

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:18 am

ernestxwb wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
ernestxwb wrote:

Having First Class section on the aircraft doesn't make the airline premium. Haven't flown TG in First but did many regional flights in C and long haul in C.
If that's your idea of premium, then maybe you should fly once on United from NRT to any place in US to see that comparing TG to MH doesn't make them premium. TG C is nothing but a joke.

Economy class on TG? Excellent, they provide better service in economy class on long haul flights than in their business class. And that's not a joke...

zeke

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:28 am

What they will buy will depend a lot on the role they plan for them. A lot of the comments above have put no thought into how these aircraft will be utilized and just stated without justification what TG will buy.

The main TG heavy maintenance base is at UTP. TG also has A330s stored at BKK.

How this order will go will depend on if they see the need for a regional widedody or a long haul one.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

maortega15

Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00 am

Curious to know what replaces their 773A's. If you replace them with the 787-10, you lose some seats. But I'm not sure if they are able to fill up those seats. After all, they are still one of the few 9 abreast carriers.

ernestxwb

Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:43 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
ernestxwb wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

What does having first class have to do with the Y product? BKK isn't a premium destination in the same way HKG/SIN are. Not many airlines offer F to BKK. Would TG do better with a few more Y seats in place of F. MH don't serve a particularly premium market either whereas CX/SQ do.

Like the other member has said, having F has nothing to do with being a premium airline or not. I am not sure if TG will do better if they put more seats in Y in place of F. It makes more sense to me to differentiate themselves more from the LCCs in the region by offering better product so they can command a more premium price. If TG wants to go low cost, they can do it through Nok and NokScoot of which they own or have stakes in. The market is not only BKK or Thailand. They offer a wide number connections from Europe and Australia to other parts of Asia such as SIN and BKK.

Thai77w

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:57 pm

*TG won't be going 10 abreast on 777s
* they are committed to offering F, bkk may not be a premium heavy destination in its own right but it's got large connections and many pax transit bkk flying F .
* 787s and a handful of 777 will be getting a cabin update and reconfiguration.

As for what they'll buy, I believe it will be a mix of 787s and 777-9s. I believe they'll also take their future A350 options up.

They are happy with 6 A380 which serves the routes they are on now very well.
Aircraft types I've been on: PA31,Q300,AT75,AT76,717,733,738,739ER,763,772,77E,773,77W,788,789,744,319,320,332,333,346,359,380

viviparuz

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:36 am

TG was one of the first airlines that went for 10-abreast seating on 777s. In 1990s, their 772A came with 3-4-3 configuration on delivery, and quickly became extremely unpopular among Thai passengers and cabin crew. Many people used to refer their 777A economy class as a "cattle-pen" class to reflect cramped feeling. Later, when TG re-configured their 772A in the late 2000s, they opted for 9-abreast seating instead.

With this bad history in mind, I don't think TG will move back to 10-abreast seating on their 777s. But that's just my two cents.

ZK-NBT

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:48 am

ernestxwb wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
ernestxwb wrote:

Like the other member has said, having F has nothing to do with being a premium airline or not. I am not sure if TG will do better if they put more seats in Y in place of F. It makes more sense to me to differentiate themselves more from the LCCs in the region by offering better product so they can command a more premium price. If TG wants to go low cost, they can do it through Nok and NokScoot of which they own or have stakes in. The market is not only BKK or Thailand. They offer a wide number connections from Europe and Australia to other parts of Asia such as SIN and BKK.

I never said having F has anything to do with being a premium airline, TG don't serve a particularly premium market and could do better maybe without F and a 10 abreast Y class, they seem to lose money a lot but like MH there is political interference which doesn't help, going 10 abreast doesn't mean they should be compared to a lowcost carrier, they can remain full service. Sure they offer connections to OZ/UK/Asia but they need to find their niche in doing that and make money by I think configuring aircraft correctly.

Thai77w wrote:
* they are committed to offering F, bkk may not be a premium heavy destination in its own right but it's got large connections and many pax transit bkk flying F .

As for what they'll buy, I believe it will be a mix of 787s and 777-9s. I believe they'll also take their future A350 options up.

Points taken, not that I agree entirely re 10 abreast 777's and offering F which will only be the A380's in a few years unless they install it on a potential 777X.

I believe the 788 fleet will be reconfigured for long haul? and the 772ER fleet will be refreshed.

nethkt

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:06 am

-Slap those faces whom spread untrue rumors about THAI cannot operate 380 and TK are taking them? Seriously? Where did that really come from?

-We buy planes in exchange for quota to export our agriculture products either into the EU or USA. So it's even more politically involved.

-With the Ministry of Finance as a dominance shareholder at more then 50%, THAI will simply be influenced by governors, minister. I doubt Ministry of finance will ever sell their shares. They seem to be in a great position to control and 'MAYBE' corrupt from the airlines.

-Many if not all older pilots are from Royal Thai Air Force, they are close with high-rank politicians and members of board of director, so yes, they will order some of this and that now and then, at least to make the pilots happy and have a fleet for them to fly.

-The 2 737-400s aren't being kept to operate USM. It can be simply operated by A320s. Reason behind that? PM me if you wanna know. I don't want DSI to contact and give me notice or come directly to my house.

-THAI never really re-config their planes switching long-haul cfg to medium-haul cfg (V.V) They do refurbish with newer products but never for operational reasons. If 787-8 were planned and bought to operate medium haul, it will very much be likely to stay medium haul.

-My guess? a mix of 350-1000s and 777-9s/787-10s.

-THIS is THAILAND. There are crazy shits and things that will never ever make sense for other people including us THAI. But it is how it is. Magically and luckily it is working somehow. It's different mindset, different strategy, super laid back attitude but it's those that keep things moving. We will talk again when things collapse, sooner, or later? Only time can tell.
Let's just blame it on yields.

ernestxwb

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:34 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
ernestxwb wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

I never said having F has anything to do with being a premium airline, TG don't serve a particularly premium market and could do better maybe without F and a 10 abreast Y class, they seem to lose money a lot but like MH there is political interference which doesn't help, going 10 abreast doesn't mean they should be compared to a lowcost carrier, they can remain full service. Sure they offer connections to OZ/UK/Asia but they need to find their niche in doing that and make money by I think configuring aircraft correctly.

Thai77w wrote:

Points taken, not that I agree entirely re 10 abreast 777's and offering F which will only be the A380's in a few years unless they install it on a potential 777X.

I believe the 788 fleet will be reconfigured for long haul? and the 772ER fleet will be refreshed.

I don't think lowering the quality of their product is the way too go for TG. People fly TG especially in economy because of their renowned comfort and excellence in service. Passengers that want a lower fare can fly on LCCs in the region. Full service carriers in Asia are generally perceived to have superior comfort as well as providing complementary food, checked baggage etc.

eamondzhang

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:51 am

MooLor wrote:
EddieDude wrote:
qfvhoqa wrote:
BKK-SYD is currently 11 weekly. It would probably offer more connection options if Thai downgauged and went double daily.

I am not familiar with SYD. Isn't it a very congested airport with an inconvenient curfew? Would it be easy for TG (or anyone else for that matter) to get slots at desirable times at SYD?

As to which aircraft TG will purchase ... mostly A350 in preference to 787 IMO. They see / present themselves as a premium airline - their 777 are still 9 abreast in Y and they have just been awarded Skytrax 'best economy cabin' - so I don't see the "more squeezy" 787 as a good fit for their long haul flying.

Having said that, they do use 787 to BNE & PER, so who knows.

I wouldn't say QF has an inferior product - having flown on the reconfigured A330 alongside Thai's 77W and 747 I would rate the exact opposite. Thai really needs to improve their products but efforts have been made in their new aircrafts.

Having said that, Thai seriously needs to consolidate their fleet or this will cost them fortune (this should be already costing them fortunes). I personally would love to see A350 and A330neo combo for their widebody needs, and maybe A320neo with the new short field performance package could be good for their 734 replacement.

lawair

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:48 am

nethkt wrote:
-The 2 737-400s aren't being kept to operate USM. It can be simply operated by A320s. Reason behind that? PM me if you wanna know. I don't want DSI to contact and give me notice or come directly to my house.

If A320s could be flown into USM, why has PG never flown its A320s there? It only uses A319s and AT72s to that airport. Silk Air also uses a small fleet of A319s to USM.

-THAI never really re-config their planes switching long-haul cfg to medium-haul cfg (V.V) They do refurbish with newer products but never for operational reasons. If 787-8 were planned and bought to operate medium haul, it will very much be likely to stay medium haul.

TG's statements to investors do indicate a cabin refurbishment as a component of a service upgrade, but they also say that a crew rest area is being installed. Much of this suggests something beyond medium haul uses.

-My guess? a mix of 350-1000s and 777-9s/787-10s.

One reason this could be a split order is that the carrier wants to develop maintenance expertise in a variety of aircraft to serve its maintenance, repair, and overhaul business, which the government wants to rapidly expand and which also brings revenue to TG. Having a regular fleet of different aircraft serviced by the facility would keep the facility competitive with other similar facilities in neighboring countries like Singapore.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos