Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QXAS
Topic Author

TSA agent steals cash from luggage

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Didn't see this posted anywhere else. When is more discipline and regulation going to be enforced on this 100% incompetent organization? In SEA workers routinely call in sick on the busiest days. Racial profiling seems more prevalent then normal law enforcement. At PHX workers have simply not shown up to the morning shift at T2 leading to a line that goes all the way to the check in desks. There was the test a few years ago that showed 98% of stuff getting through. And now this.

http://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/20 ... ggage/amp/
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

Sooner787

Re: TSA agent steals cash from luggage

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:30 pm

TSA Thousands Standing Around :(

compensateme

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Are you naive enough to believe these problems didn't exist prior to the establishment of the TSA? I can assure you they did, because I was once a victim. At the end of the day, any employer with 43K people on his payroll is going to have to deal with issues of theft and dishonestly. It's just unavoidable (cost of doing business).
We don’t care what your next flight is.

jnev3289

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:54 pm

compensateme wrote:
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Are you naive enough to believe these problems didn't exist prior to the establishment of the TSA? I can assure you they did, because I was once a victim. At the end of the day, any employer with 43K people on his payroll is going to have to deal with issues of theft and dishonestly. It's just unavoidable (cost of doing business).

Nope, it should be purely perfect like the rest of the world's airport security!

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Clearly these things are going to happen, but it's just a bit more frustrating when you are required to submit your money/etc to someone out of your view. I have accepted the whole TSA process but it's certainly not perfect. I've had items stolen from checked luggage but not from the actual screening line, which is probably not as easy for someone to get away with. But, again, it could happen anywhere.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

IPFreely

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:12 pm

Sooner787 wrote:

Guess it's now known as Thousands Stealing All.

The sooner these tub-stacking, stool-sitting zombies are removed from the government payroll and replaced with private contractors that have some reasonable level of hiring and retention standards, the better.

DDR

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:24 pm

What I find the most shocking from reading the article is that hundreds of TSA agents have been fired for stealing. That's really scary. I imagine it wouldn't take much to bribe some of these people to let you bring something prohibited through security.

lat41

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:16 pm

We're giving United Airlines a little rest and now it's time to get back to thumping the TSA. Every industry everywhere, government or private has it's scoundrels.

radioguy

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:30 am

Scoundrels and thieves aside, I would have to seriously question the competence of the hiring process. If this guy didn't
have the presence of mind to realize that his every move would be recorded, what else might he have missed? Where's
the common sense factor?

FlyUSAir

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:55 am

Pre 9/11 security wasn't fantastic, but I can't believe how we Americans take the abuse of the Toilet Safety Administration everyday. They hire the most incompetent people on the planet. If I didn't have TSA Pre-Check through my Global Entry membership I'd have gone crazy by now.
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

toobz

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:07 am

My second job was working ramp. I will not even tell you what I have witnessed other employees doing. It's truely awful thinking back on it. I guess times haven't changed in that aspect.

ryan78

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:20 am

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys... This phrase is really common in the industry, especially around ground handling companies and security. I can't tell you how many times I've been delayed due to our ground handlers calling in sick by the hundreds because of bad weather. I've seen a single guy offload and reload every bag on a 737 and know guys that have done 16, sometimes 18, hour shifts on the ramp because of lack of man-power during bad weather. I have respect for those rampers, I know I certainly wouldn't want to be outside when its -30 in the winter, slinging bags and only being paid minimum wage...

Slug71

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:53 am

I wish Trump would get rid of the TSA already.
Not sure why the US has ICE, CBP, and the TSA. They should all be merged, cut in size and improve/increase training across the board for the ones that remain.

IPFreely

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:08 am

Slug71 wrote:
Not sure why the US has ICE, CBP, and the TSA. They should all be merged, cut in size and improve/increase training across the board for the ones that remain.

The TSA should not be compared to ICE or CBP. ICE and CBP agents are sworn law enforcement officers who meet somewhat rigorous hiring standards. TSA agents are not sworn law enforcement officers and apparently the ability to stand or at least sit mostly upright and not get caught stealing too much are their only hiring requirements. The sooner it becomes easier for airports to opt out of using TSA so they can open their security up to competition between private companies, the better.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:33 am

To me there is a serious issue with agent management and supervision in the TSA. The = of TSA in many other countries is more professional in its management, supervision, selection in staffing, training, pay and respect for all involved. The USA TSA needs to study other countries and see how they seem to do a better job. I would also note that in the USA, too many flyers are rude and just plain idiots as to the TSA, 'forgetting' guns in their carry ons or thinking they should be exempt from TSA rules. You also are dealing with humans with all their flaws.

RWA380

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:09 am

radioguy wrote:
Scoundrels and thieves aside, I would have to seriously question the competence of the hiring process. If this guy didn't
have the presence of mind to realize that his every move would be recorded, what else might he have missed? Where's
the common sense factor?

Common sense doesn't exist any longer, it's either educated or not. As my Grandma said, common sense is anything but common. There is no thinking, it's just absurd.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

F9Animal

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:26 am

The airline employees and contractors that steal from luggage is a much larger problem.
I Am A Different Animal!!

skywaymanaz

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:00 am

F9Animal wrote:
The airline employees and contractors that steal from luggage is a much larger problem.

I'm sure this is a big problem. Clayton Moore had his custom made Lone Ranger pistols stolen from his checked bags in the 80's. An airline baggage handler was later arrested for the theft. Back then security didn't screen checked bags so the airline was on the hook for the theft publicly. Also the list of suspects was considerably shorter. After 9/11 and with checked bags screened the airlines and the TSA just point fingers at each other over theft. Neither has a complete chain of custody on your bags and neither will take responsibility. I've often thought there should be an optional way to check bags where you can observe TSA screen the bag and then it goes into the airlines custody but this may not be feasible. In the meantime valuables are often put in locked gun cases because TSA regs say that is the only bag that can be checked that way and with a lock that they cannot open. They still freak out though when the gun in your locked case tests positive for an explosive substance . . . you mean like gun powder?

bennett123

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:09 am

I would not check in valuables.

They are in hand luggage.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:01 pm

With modern technology, I would think it'd be possible to have snapshots or videos of your luggage through the entire process once it leaves your hands. Cameras placed all along the way would take snapshots in non-handled areas and video when being inspected by people. If there's a problem, scan the tag and the videos/pictures would all pull up for that bags journey. Cumbersome, but at least you'd have something to go on.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Brickell305

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:11 pm

F9Animal wrote:

Agreed

falkerker

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:59 pm

I might prefer theft and lost luggage than what happened recently un BOG where a pax bag was changed for one Full of cocaine. The bag happened to be that of a rather well known journalist who wrote about his entire ordeal. (Link in spanish only, sorry)

http://www.elespectador.com/noticias/na ... ulo-683306

cschleic

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:59 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

The sooner these tub-stacking, stool-sitting zombies are removed from the government payroll and replaced with private contractors that have some reasonable level of hiring and retention standards, the better.

Prior to 9/11, it was privatized, and the goal became getting the lowest price possible, with predictable results. After 9/11, the idea was to make it a more professional, consistent program with more of a career path, compared to those in some other countries such as the Netherlands. But a lot of people don't remember the history of it. You can't have it both ways.

Slug71 wrote:

It's not that simple. The TSA was created post-9/11 with legislation passed by congress and signed by the then-president. Those are very different activities. And, reducing headcount probably would go against the wish of many to increase it for border protection. Funny how people don't trust the government to meddle in their own lives but are perfectly happy to have it protect them from somebody else.

dfwjim1

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:51 pm

When I travel I always keep my credit cards and extra cash in the deepest and zipped portion of my handbag so a TSA officer can not easily grab the credit cards and/or cash. And of course I never put valuables in my checked bags.

Blimpie

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:38 am

IPFreely wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

Ya mean like pre-9/11, cause I'm pretty sure all the post-9/11 security theater happened as a result of a few private contractors who let the box cutters through. I mean that was what lead to the creation of TSA; corporate greed by private contractors hiring and piss poor training of incompetent low paid security guards. :banghead:

In retrospect, nothing has really changed though.... :praise:

radioguy wrote:
the common sense factor?

You have two types of hires. You have the entitlement hires, I don't need to go in to details on that cause we're all smart enough to know what those jobs are. And we have the in-college or fresh out of college kid looking for a career as a LEO in the federal system, such as a marshal, CBP, FBI, and needs some boots on the ground time.
Last edited by Blimpie on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

cpd

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:39 am

IPFreely wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

Private contractors are not a guarantee of efficiency either, some of them are equally untrustworthy, deceptive and lazy. And they cost an enormous amount of money per hour!

IPFreely

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:48 pm

Blimpie wrote:
Ya mean like pre-9/11, cause I'm pretty sure all the post-9/11 security theater happened as a result of a few private contractors who let the box cutters through. I mean that was what lead to the creation of TSA; corporate greed by private contractors hiring and piss poor training of incompetent low paid security.

If you're blaming 9/11 on private contractors' incompetence you couldn't be more wrong. They didn't "let" anyone thru; the 9/11 hijackers got thru security because they weren't violating any of the rules that were in place at that time. Many studies have shown that private security, while not perfect, outperforms the TSA by a wide margin. Airport security in other countries shows the same thing.

I posted a link to an interesting article yesterday that explained this as well as the political debacle that led not just to a changing of the rules but to the creation of the colossal failure known as the TSA today. Unfortunately the overzealous mods here have deleted it -- perhaps one is a tub stacker --but it is quite informative.

Blimpie

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm pretty sure a box cutter when extended has a relatively large blade. I'm pretty sure prior to 9/11 blades were prohibited from carry on luggage, and I believe box cutters most certainly would have violated the rules. But, hey, let's look at some historic reportage from those days:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/boxcutters-werent-allowed-pre-9-11/
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/01/27/911.commis.knife/

Seems like box cutters were banned to me, but if you love revisionist history, then more power to you. :lol:
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

FlyUSAir

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:34 pm

Blimpie wrote:
I'm pretty sure a box cutter when extended has a relatively large blade. I'm pretty sure prior to 9/11 blades were prohibited from carry on luggage, and I believe box cutters most certainly would have violated the rules. But, hey, let's look at some historic reportage from those days:

Seems like box cutters were banned to me, but if you love revisionist history, then more power to you. :lol:

Let's play "Spot the TSA employee and supporter!"
A319/A320/A321/A333 712/732/733/734/735/737/738/752/753/762/763 C172 CR2/CR7/CR9 E145/E170/E175/E190
MD82/MD83/MD88/MD90 Q100/Q400

scbriml

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Blimpie wrote:

From the very CBS article you linked:
Though the federal government did not specifically bar the objects before Sept. 11
ATA spokesman Michael Wascom would say only: "Boxcutters were not prohibited by the FAA on 9-11-01."

So no, they weren't actually banned.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

F9Animal

Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:53 am

Look, TSA is always getting a bad rap. Sure they are far from perfect. But. To say all TSA agents are bad is just not correct. You will always have a bad coworker, a lazy coworker, and a thief for a coworker. It happens in any type of job there is. I know alot of us are not happy with the way they handle airport security, and some of their procedures. But!! There is a need for it, and it's something we all have to adapt to.

If for some reason TSA was knocked down and all airports went with private vendors, I can pretty much guarantee the vendors would be enforced to hold the same measures set for TSA. It wouldn't change the lines, or procedures set.

If there is any blame for what we have today, we can point the fingers at 19 men who decided to follow through with an act we all can't comprehend to this day. I do know that the application and hiring process for TSA is no laughing matter. They do try to hire the best applicants they can find. I also know there are huge amounts of applicants for the job. But!!! We know that poor performers will pass any job background check and interviews for any job out there.

I also think we can appreciate that we haven't had a repeat like 9/11 on this soil. If terror groups are unable to penetrate what's in place now.... I call that successful. So.... I personally appreciate the TSA.

F9Animal

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:11 am

DDR wrote:
What I find the most shocking from reading the article is that hundreds of TSA agents have been fired for stealing. That's really scary. I imagine it wouldn't take much to bribe some of these people to let you bring something prohibited through security.

I am not shocked in the least. I have a very strong background in loss prevention. I have worked thousands of employee theft cases, including for an airline. 1 out of 5 people that walk into a grocery store shoplift or steal. Employee theft is actually very similar in numbers. No matter where you work, someone is stealing. When I worked for US Airways before America West, I had a ramp coworker stealing massive amounts from people's luggage. I contacted US Airways security and was asked to assist them in nabbing this guy. One night, I observed him open a military duffle bag, and take out a helmet, and put it in his locker. 10 minutes later I saw him open another bag, and remove a fireman's helmet, mask, and entire outfit! It was a silver outfit, that I later learned was a fire crash rescue suit. I tried to contact the head of US, but he was on the east coast and wasn't answering my calls or texts. I finally had enough, especially since he was stealing military gear. I contacted the airport police and they arrested him.

They had him open his locker, and we found over $30,000 in military gear! They obtained a warrant for his home and found his garage filled with gear. He had been stealing for years! They also found he had sold a ton of stuff on EBay.

I also busted a few ramp agents from Menzies. They had an organized ring going on. Nabbed 5 out of that one. They were nabbing cargo, and very high cost things.

I can promise you this. TSA has theft. But, I am certain it is minor compared to airline workers. TSA works in areas that tend to have more cameras watching them. I know airline security will install hidden cameras in areas they suspect theft. Including in the aircraft cargo holds.

Also. The key to what shocks you is how many have been arrested. That means someone is watching them and catching them. TSA obviously doesn't play games. It appears they have zero tolerance for it. I wish the airlines followed that same behavior.

IPFreely

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Blimpie wrote:

As scbrini pointed out, box cutters were not banned prior to 9/11. Its even stated in the article you linked. You owe the board a public apology.

737tanker

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:40 pm

Prior to 9/11 not only were box cutters not banned, as others have pointed out, but any knife with a blade of 4 inches or less was allowed to be brought on board an aircraft. I knew many pilots who routinely carried a leatherman when they flew.

Aptivaboy

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Prior to 9/11 not only were box cutters not banned, as others have pointed out, but any knife with a blade of 4 inches or less was allowed to be brought on board an aircraft. I knew many pilots who routinely carried a leatherman when they flew.

Yup. Heck, I know a guy who builds scale models. Pre-9/11, he used to bring X-acto blades, saws, files, and even a battery powered Dremel rotary tool on board with cutters and such and work on his models mid-flight! As long as what he had didn't stink up the cabin, the airlines were fine with it. He didn't bring paint, if I recall, at least not enamels, but acrylics and cyanoacrylate glue (superglue) was okay, as were small amounts of filler (putty).

The bottom line, before 9/11 you could bring TONS of things on board that you can't now, including some very sharp objects.

Cubsrule

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:29 pm

IPFreely wrote:
If you're blaming 9/11 on private contractors' incompetence you couldn't be more wrong. They didn't "let" anyone thru; the 9/11 hijackers got thru security because they weren't violating any of the rules that were in place at that time. Many studies have shown that private security, while not perfect, outperforms the TSA by a wide margin. Airport security in other countries shows the same thing.

While I agree with your point about averages, let's not pretend that private security is a panacea. TSA does a good job of giving local managers authority, and the good ones take advantage of it. My general rule of thumb is that if you see people in civilian clothes (i.e. management) around a checkpoint, things are probably going well, and that's true of government and private screeners alike. SFO is atrocious and was one of the first airports to go private. MCI has great private screeners despite a very challenging checkpoint and bag screening setup.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

DDR

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:31 pm

F9Animal wrote:
DDR wrote:

I am not shocked in the least. I have a very strong background in loss prevention. I have worked thousands of employee theft cases, including for an airline. 1 out of 5 people that walk into a grocery store shoplift or steal. Employee theft is actually very similar in numbers. No matter where you work, someone is stealing. When I worked for US Airways before America West, I had a ramp coworker stealing massive amounts from people's luggage. I contacted US Airways security and was asked to assist them in nabbing this guy. One night, I observed him open a military duffle bag, and take out a helmet, and put it in his locker. 10 minutes later I saw him open another bag, and remove a fireman's helmet, mask, and entire outfit! It was a silver outfit, that I later learned was a fire crash rescue suit. I tried to contact the head of US, but he was on the east coast and wasn't answering my calls or texts. I finally had enough, especially since he was stealing military gear. I contacted the airport police and they arrested him.

They had him open his locker, and we found over $30,000 in military gear! They obtained a warrant for his home and found his garage filled with gear. He had been stealing for years! They also found he had sold a ton of stuff on EBay.

I also busted a few ramp agents from Menzies. They had an organized ring going on. Nabbed 5 out of that one. They were nabbing cargo, and very high cost things.

I can promise you this. TSA has theft. But, I am certain it is minor compared to airline workers. TSA works in areas that tend to have more cameras watching them. I know airline security will install hidden cameras in areas they suspect theft. Including in the aircraft cargo holds.

Also. The key to what shocks you is how many have been arrested. That means someone is watching them and catching them. TSA obviously doesn't play games. It appears they have zero tolerance for it. I wish the airlines followed that same behavior.

Good for you F9Animal. You seem like a stand up guy! Too bad there aren't more honest guys like you out there looking out for our passengers. I just can't imagine what goes through people's minds that allows them to think it's ok to take other people's property.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos