TC957
Topic Author

CI announce TPE - LGW

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:41 am

Nice addition to LGW's long-haul route network - From Dec 1st 4 x weekly with A350.
Interesting they haven't returned to LHR as their chosen London airport.

peterinlisbon

Re: CI announce TPE - LGW

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 am

Will they be flying over China and Russia or taking a roundabout route to avoid it?

TC957
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:34 am

LGW-TPE is scheduled for a 13hr 15 min flight time so that would suggest a fairly direct Siberian routing.

BRxxx

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:21 am

Absolute joke to be honest. There isn't enough traffic between Taiwan and London for this to be sustainable, especially now that they went for Gatwick. I don't think many long-haul to Asia survives there. This was tried and tested (and failed) back in 2010 at Heathrow. How are they gonna connect people onto flights in Gatwick when Heathrow offers so much more?

I live in London and travel back and forth between Taipei and London very often, and Gatwick can be a bit of a mare to get to from central if you have a lot of stuff with you. That plus (imo) a detoriating service, I think I'll stick with BR.
Flown on:A320, A332, A333, B737, B738, B763, B744, B77W, B773, E175, E190, MD90, MD11, A359, B788, B789, A388, A319, A321, B739

Airlines flown on: BR, CI, BA, LH, NH, MU, B7, AE, TG, UA, AA, AF, EZY, FR, AV, AS, US, VS, NX, ZH, CZ, VY, PG, EK, EY, CA, UO

skipness1E

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:03 am

Main issue is that EVA has a long standing one stop run on LHR-BKK-TPE.
CI couldn't make money on the A343 and left declaring they'd be back with the A350, now fair play for that, except they didn't have slots to come back to !
So LGW remains a waiting game until someone loans, leases or sells them a slot to get them back to LHR, just like Garuda and Vietnam did in recent years.

8herveg

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:41 pm

BRxxx wrote:
Absolute joke to be honest. There isn't enough traffic between Taiwan and London for this to be sustainable, especially now that they went for Gatwick. I don't think many long-haul to Asia survives there. This was tried and tested (and failed) back in 2010 at Heathrow. How are they gonna connect people onto flights in Gatwick when Heathrow offers so much more?

I live in London and travel back and forth between Taipei and London very often, and Gatwick can be a bit of a mare to get to from central if you have a lot of stuff with you. That plus (imo) a detoriating service, I think I'll stick with BR.

I don't know how people can say commuting from to/from Gatwick to/from Central London is a nightmare....you can get to London Bridge, Blackfriars (both great for The City) and Victoria all within 30 minutes. The Heathrow Express is extortionately expensive (and goes into Paddington which isn't as useful if you work in The City) and the Piccadilly line to Central takes about an hour!

jfk777

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Probably not the best use of an new A350-900, if they are going to be a player to Europe London, even Gatwick, is a must. Good Luck to China Air.

skipness1E

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 pm

If you mean The City of London as the square mile, then LGW doesn't offer much that anyone there wants to use so although the joys of London Bridge are reasonably convenient, LGW is still easyJet, Thomson, Thomas Cook, Norwegian and leisure for BA and Virgin. It doesn't support so much as a Swiss or a Lufthansa. Access to LGW has always been good, that's a red herring.
It just cannot support the level of flights to business destinations that point collecting frequent fliers demand.

kq787

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:08 pm

it appears that this flight is timed to connect to CI's inbound and outbound AUS/NZ flights. CI's other European flights do not have the same schedule for AUS/NZ connections. does CI believe they can be player on the crowded kangaroo route?

8herveg

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:15 pm

skipness1E wrote:
If you mean The City of London as the square mile, then LGW doesn't offer much that anyone there wants to use so although the joys of London Bridge are reasonably convenient, LGW is still easyJet, Thomson, Thomas Cook, Norwegian and leisure for BA and Virgin. It doesn't support so much as a Swiss or a Lufthansa. Access to LGW has always been good, that's a red herring.
It just cannot support the level of flights to business destinations that point collecting frequent fliers demand.

I was referring to commuting the poster complaining about commuting to/from LGW from Central London, not the selection of airlines/transferring onto them at LGW - I admit, the options aren't nearly as extensive as LHR

EddieDude

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:19 pm

BRxxx wrote:
There isn't enough traffic between Taiwan and London for this to be sustainable, especially now that they went for Gatwick.

I am sure CI is not only trying to cater to the non-stop Taipei-Greater London market, but also to cost-conscious passengers flying between London and destinations in Philippines, HKG, Vietnam, SIN, Malaysia...

skipness1E wrote:
LGW remains a waiting game until someone loans, leases or sells them a slot to get them back to LHR, just like Garuda and Vietnam did in recent years.

Makes sense.
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

Cunard

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:57 pm

This is old news and was announced on the 16 September 2016 and was discussed on a.net shortly after, a forum search will bring up the previous topic.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

NichCage

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:59 pm

People are saying that flying from TPE to LGW is the wrong choice and that it won't work.

However, CX has been flying between HKG and LGW and it has been working well for them!

Cunard

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:02 pm

skipness1E wrote:
It doesn't support so much as a Swiss or a Lufthansa. Access to LGW has always been good, that's a red herring.

Skip just to make a point

Although not relevant as far as connection possibilities but SWISS do actually fly to both Geneva and Zurich from LGW four times weekly albeit seasonal.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

BRxxx

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:22 pm

NichCage wrote:
People are saying that flying from TPE to LGW is the wrong choice and that it won't work.

However, CX has been flying between HKG and LGW and it has been working well for them!

You've got to take into account the amount of people that travel between Hong Kong and London, there's a 'connection' between these two places. Taiwan and London? Nah. CX can support 5x daily from LHR to HKG (plus the 3x from other airlines) showing that LGW can support enough demand for HKG.

I've been on enough BR67/68 flights (at least 50 times since 2005) to know that not a lot of people go between Taipei and London. Most Brits hop between London and Bangkok and most Taiwanese hop between Bangkok and Taipei, that's how BR make their money on this. I also took advantage of CI's direct flights back then as well and sometimes it really was no where near full enough.
Flown on:A320, A332, A333, B737, B738, B763, B744, B77W, B773, E175, E190, MD90, MD11, A359, B788, B789, A388, A319, A321, B739

Airlines flown on: BR, CI, BA, LH, NH, MU, B7, AE, TG, UA, AA, AF, EZY, FR, AV, AS, US, VS, NX, ZH, CZ, VY, PG, EK, EY, CA, UO

BRxxx

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:34 pm

8herveg wrote:
BRxxx wrote:

I don't know how people can say commuting from to/from Gatwick to/from Central London is a nightmare....you can get to London Bridge, Blackfriars (both great for The City) and Victoria all within 30 minutes. The Heathrow Express is extortionately expensive (and goes into Paddington which isn't as useful if you work in The City) and the Piccadilly line to Central takes about an hour!

How many bags do you normally carry?

rutankrd

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:39 pm

BRxxx wrote:

They won't be looking at routing any/many connections beyond Gatwick or indeed Heathrow (when KLM Cityhopper in all probability donate some slots in 2018)

London is about cargo and regional connections on Asia end.
They need to get back into the UK very much for time sensitive cargo alone

For European connections/feed Amsterdam provides ample opportunities via partners KLM and Rome via partners Alitalia,

They also serve Frankfurt and Vienna and both of these carry tons and tons of cargo.

Geoff1947

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:44 pm

BRxxx wrote:

Surprised you think getting to LHR is easy.

BRxxx

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Geoff1947 wrote:
BRxxx wrote:

Surprised you think getting to LHR is easy.

Oh no I don't. It's just LGW's asian route always fail (except CX) and I want them to survive longer than 2 years!

trex8

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:23 pm

TC957 wrote:
LGW-TPE is scheduled for a 13hr 15 min flight time so that would suggest a fairly direct Siberian routing.

Probably going to be almost identical to this
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... 2/#dd383ce

LAX772LR

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:13 pm

BRxxx wrote:
Oh no I don't. It's just LGW's asian route always fail (except CX) and I want them to survive longer than 2 years!

EK seems to be doing just fine on LGW-Asia, both nonstop and cnnxs.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:00 am

LAX772LR wrote:
BRxxx wrote:

Pretty sure he meant LGW-East Asia non stop.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:13 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
BRxxx wrote:

Pretty sure he meant LGW-East Asia non stop.

I've little doubt that that's what he meant... the problem is, that's not what he said.

And regardless, what's written above holds: EK is taking plenty of LGW pax to south (and other parts of) Asia via west Asia, and they seem to be doing just fine.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Markie73

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:16 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
BRxxx wrote:

Any more news regarding QR possibly resuming flights to/from Gatwick?, I remember there was a lot of talk about this not so long ago.

Cunard

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:37 pm

When Qatar recently announced their planned new destinations including Cardiff there was nothing regarding LGW and to be honest I don't see them returning for a while yet if ever considering there current position plus there extensive operation at LHR.

TheGeordielad

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Cunard wrote:
This is old news and was announced on the 16 September 2016 and was discussed on a.net shortly after, a forum search will bring up the previous topic.

Just what I was thinking.

eamondzhang

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:49 am

kq787 wrote:
it appears that this flight is timed to connect to CI's inbound and outbound AUS/NZ flights. CI's other European flights do not have the same schedule for AUS/NZ connections. does CI believe they can be player on the crowded kangaroo route?

CI's FCO flight also has a very similar schedule albert with a longer layover when flying back to Aus/OZ. However with two stops to AKL I don't believe that would be attractive enough. SYD/MEL/BNE will do fine though.

Many of the Aussies are known to chase for lowest fares possible and they don't care which carrier they fly - if combined with better service like what CI offers they'll certainly jump ove it. So long as CI offers an attractive price they shouldn't have too much issue filling the plane. Yield is another question though.

Osiris

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:44 am

BRxxx wrote:

I've never understood people who say this. I live in central London too and it's largely irrelevant to me whether I fly from Gatwick or Heathrow. It's quicker to get to Heathrow theoretically, but only by about 15-20 minutes. And for me it's an unfair comparison because I live closer to Paddington than Victoria.

skipness1E

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:12 am

Look at the catchment area radius and compare the overlap vs the population density. LGW. Has a lot more sheep and cows than LHR which has the M4 corridor as well. LGW has Croydon and Brighton.

skipness1E

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:33 am

Great point,we should inavde Formosa immediately and return the rebel territory the nationalist's siezed from their rightful masters, the "Communist" Party of Mao's Red China. Perhaps begin with some form of cultural revolution to eradicate all wrong thinking...?

Or we could just all get back to Planet Earth and allow trade and commerce to ensure tempers and old grievances die over time? The Chinese are many things, consistent isn't one of them. They're the least Communist left wing party i have ever seen nowadays :)

Cunard

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:52 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Look at the catchment area radius and compare the overlap vs the population density. LGW. Has a lot more sheep and cows than LHR which has the M4 corridor as well. LGW has Croydon and Brighton.

Have you seen the amount of sheep that are grazing the man made embankments and reservoirs beside the M25 near to LHR or the amount of cattle in the fields alongside the M4 as you approach LHR from the west?

I think your probably see far more cows and sheep than what you would see if you were travelling to LGW!

Having personally been to Taiwan three times I hope that China Airlines find great success in operating LGW to TPE.

trex8

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahA9vbxBBPs
senior VP S Chang

Looking for LHR slots summer 18
all Europe flights at least 80% monthly load factors since Dec

skipness1E

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Cunard wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

Have you seen the amount of sheep that are grazing the man made embankments and reservoirs beside the M25 near to LHR or the amount of cattle in the fields alongside the M4 as you approach LHR from the west?

I think your probably see far more cows and sheep than what you would see if you were travelling to LGW!

Having personally been to Taiwan three times I hope that China Airlines find great success in operating LGW to TPE.

Yes, many times landing on the 09s. Now try the same question from the East..... Gatters is surrounded by open countryside, Heathrow is in Zone 6. Nice semantic point but my meaning was clear.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos