User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 24006
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Its finally here. No laptop ban, but expanded screening covering nearly 280 airports with 2100 daily flights that have service to the U.S.

The enhanced security measures include but are not limited to:

o Conducting heightened screening of personal electronic devices;
o Increasing security protocols around aircraft and in passenger areas;
o Deploying advanced technology, expanding canine screening, and establishing additional preclearance locations.
o DHS/TSA will work with aviation stakeholders to ensure these enhanced security measures are fully implemented.
o Those stakeholders who fail to adopt these requirements with certain timeframes run the risk of additional restrictions being imposed.

Aviation Enhanced Security Measures for All Commercial Flights to the United States
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/06/28/fac ... ted-states
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Draken21fx
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 pm

By stakeholder I guess they means airports outside the USA where TSA or Homeland has no jurisdiction. The following is an honest question without wanting to start the usual US vs rest of the world discussion.

Who is paying for the bill. Things like "advanced technology" or even "canine screening" are pretty expensive. Last time I checked a trained K9 can cost up to $10k.

Also is the US government contributing to the pay of certain individuals labeled as "airport security" who are playing the role of TSA agents on non US airports?
 
kabq737
Moderator
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm assuming "heightened screening of personal electronic devices" is code for more full searches of all of the data on your phone or tablet...
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 24006
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:50 pm

No the US does not pay foreign nations or airports.

Its up to foreign parties to comply with US security requirements if they desire the flight access to the US. The U.S has staff based overseas that audits and ensures compliance.

Its really no different than how the EU has its own layers of regulations including security ones which must be complied with to operate to the EU.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
freakyrat
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:56 pm

Does that mean that all flights to the US will have to use jetways or can they still bus passengers out to hardstands and board off the ground like is common in airports like FRA.
 
goldorak
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:29 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 pm

freakyrat wrote:
Does that mean that all flights to the US will have to use jetways or can they still bus passengers out to hardstands and board off the ground like is common in airports like FRA.

:?: I'd be curious to know what is the relationship between boarding by a jetway versus by bus at a remote stand and security...
 
Sydscott
Posts: 3467
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:50 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:06 pm

kabq737 wrote:
I'm assuming "heightened screening of personal electronic devices" is code for more full searches of all of the data on your phone or tablet...


Which is why I keep an iPhone4 with a T-Mobile Sim in it so that when I go to the US I don't take my phone, just the one that's been to the US with me before. So DHS can search all it all they like but all they'll find is communications with my friends in the US. Same for my Ipad. You can never be too careful when dealing with any Foreign Government no matter how friendly.
 
Draken21fx
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:09 pm

LAXintl wrote:
No the US does not pay foreign nations or airports.

Its up to foreign parties to comply with US security requirements if they desire the flight access to the US. The U.S has staff based overseas that audits and ensures compliance.

Its really no different than how the EU has its own layers of regulations including security ones which must be complied with to operate to the EU.


I do not believe than any EU nation or any nation (except Israel) sends marshals supervising the job of locals when it comes to questioning passengers and even making the decisions for them whether to board a passenger or not hence my genuine question.

It is interesting to find out that those local security agents are fully paid by the third country for which they work for and their wages are not even partially covered by the US government although they do perform duties for the US by proxy.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2077
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Draken21fx wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
No the US does not pay foreign nations or airports.

Its up to foreign parties to comply with US security requirements if they desire the flight access to the US. The U.S has staff based overseas that audits and ensures compliance.

Its really no different than how the EU has its own layers of regulations including security ones which must be complied with to operate to the EU.


I do not believe than any EU nation or any nation (except Israel) sends marshals supervising the job of locals when it comes to questioning passengers and even making the decisions for them whether to board a passenger or not hence my genuine question.

It is interesting to find out that those local security agents are fully paid by the third country for which they work for and their wages are not even partially covered by the US government although they do perform duties for the US by proxy.




They are covered by the local authorities.

These increased measures are a product of intelligence gathered from Egyptair 804 that hasn't been released publicly.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
Draken21fx
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Fair enough...if they are indeed measures due to Egyptair 804 let's see how other countries will react to the intelligence briefings.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4561
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Funding for security is provided by the host nation. Why should USA fund security in 3rd nations? They simply provide requirements and its up to others to meet if they wish to be compliant to operate service to the US.

Regarding EU nations, they also certainly audit things like overseas security procedures. I know for sure the French do and have a colleague based in UAE (formerly was in Nigeria) and audits airports and air carriers in the region that operate to France. This is separate than air-marshalls which many nations also employ onboard aircraft.
mercure f-wtcc
 
manny
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:59 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Does it put an end to opting for pat downs ?
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9526
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:58 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Draken21fx wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
No the US does not pay foreign nations or airports.

Its up to foreign parties to comply with US security requirements if they desire the flight access to the US. The U.S has staff based overseas that audits and ensures compliance.

Its really no different than how the EU has its own layers of regulations including security ones which must be complied with to operate to the EU.


I do not believe than any EU nation or any nation (except Israel) sends marshals supervising the job of locals when it comes to questioning passengers and even making the decisions for them whether to board a passenger or not hence my genuine question.

It is interesting to find out that those local security agents are fully paid by the third country for which they work for and their wages are not even partially covered by the US government although they do perform duties for the US by proxy.




They are covered by the local authorities.

These increased measures are a product of intelligence gathered from Egyptair 804 that hasn't been released publicly.


Wasn't that deemed caused by a fire in the cockpit due perhaps to battery issue?
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2077
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:21 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Draken21fx wrote:

I do not believe than any EU nation or any nation (except Israel) sends marshals supervising the job of locals when it comes to questioning passengers and even making the decisions for them whether to board a passenger or not hence my genuine question.

It is interesting to find out that those local security agents are fully paid by the third country for which they work for and their wages are not even partially covered by the US government although they do perform duties for the US by proxy.




They are covered by the local authorities.

These increased measures are a product of intelligence gathered from Egyptair 804 that hasn't been released publicly.


Wasn't that deemed caused by a fire in the cockpit due perhaps to battery issue?


Explosive residue was present.

The OSCE is developing increased screening recommendations as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/15/middleeas ... index.html
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
User avatar
Blimpie
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:22 am

Just wondering what the result be if the world governments just turned to say "Eff off to America, we're not spending another goddam dime on screening equipment because the US changes the spec every 18 months" How much money has been spent over the past 20 years every time the feds decide the current x-ray/scanners aren't good enough and need replacing?
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2077
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:23 am

Blimpie wrote:
Just wondering what the result be if the world governments just turned to say "Eff off to America, we're not spending another goddam dime on screening equipment because the US changes the spec every 18 months" How much money has been spent over the past 20 years every time the feds decide the current x-ray/scanners aren't good enough and need replacing?


Their customers will go elsewhere. People do not stop doing business with US firms just because a locality doesn't want to pay for another security guard.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:28 am

Sydscott wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
I'm assuming "heightened screening of personal electronic devices" is code for more full searches of all of the data on your phone or tablet...


Which is why I keep an iPhone4 with a T-Mobile Sim in it so that when I go to the US I don't take my phone, just the one that's been to the US with me before. So DHS can search all it all they like but all they'll find is communications with my friends in the US. Same for my Ipad. You can never be too careful when dealing with any Foreign Government no matter how friendly.


It's been a while since I've been to the USA, but what I understand by this is that the TSA has you unlock your phone and sniff around?
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15019
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:39 am

Draken21fx wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
No the US does not pay foreign nations or airports.

Its up to foreign parties to comply with US security requirements if they desire the flight access to the US. The U.S has staff based overseas that audits and ensures compliance.

Its really no different than how the EU has its own layers of regulations including security ones which must be complied with to operate to the EU.


I do not believe than any EU nation or any nation (except Israel) sends marshals supervising the job of locals when it comes to questioning passengers and even making the decisions for them whether to board a passenger or not hence my genuine question.

It is interesting to find out that those local security agents are fully paid by the third country for which they work for and their wages are not even partially covered by the US government although they do perform duties for the US by proxy.

My Uncles job with Customs in the late 80s and early 90s was partly to go to foreign countries and advise and grade them on procedures.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
kabq737
Moderator
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
Sydscott wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
I'm assuming "heightened screening of personal electronic devices" is code for more full searches of all of the data on your phone or tablet...


Which is why I keep an iPhone4 with a T-Mobile Sim in it so that when I go to the US I don't take my phone, just the one that's been to the US with me before. So DHS can search all it all they like but all they'll find is communications with my friends in the US. Same for my Ipad. You can never be too careful when dealing with any Foreign Government no matter how friendly.


It's been a while since I've been to the USA, but what I understand by this is that the TSA has you unlock your phone and sniff around?

Not the TSA but the DHS. American citizens are actually protected from search and seizure without a warrant in the U.S. Constitution however, DHS gets away with doing this by requiring that you unlock your phone before you have technically entered the country. So long story short yes the DHS can force you to unlock your phone for them under certain conditions.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:55 am

kabq737 wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:
Sydscott wrote:

Which is why I keep an iPhone4 with a T-Mobile Sim in it so that when I go to the US I don't take my phone, just the one that's been to the US with me before. So DHS can search all it all they like but all they'll find is communications with my friends in the US. Same for my Ipad. You can never be too careful when dealing with any Foreign Government no matter how friendly.


It's been a while since I've been to the USA, but what I understand by this is that the TSA has you unlock your phone and sniff around?

Not the TSA but the DHS. American citizens are actually protected from search and seizure without a warrant in the U.S. Constitution however, DHS gets away with doing this by requiring that you unlock your phone before you have technically entered the country. So long story short yes the DHS can force you to unlock your phone for them under certain conditions.


Thanks for the reply. I know it sounds silly but it wouldn't strike me as impossible to have this new meassure be applied to every pax flying to the USA, even without suspicion.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:13 am

kabq737 wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:
Sydscott wrote:

Which is why I keep an iPhone4 with a T-Mobile Sim in it so that when I go to the US I don't take my phone, just the one that's been to the US with me before. So DHS can search all it all they like but all they'll find is communications with my friends in the US. Same for my Ipad. You can never be too careful when dealing with any Foreign Government no matter how friendly.


It's been a while since I've been to the USA, but what I understand by this is that the TSA has you unlock your phone and sniff around?

Not the TSA but the DHS. American citizens are actually protected from search and seizure without a warrant in the U.S. Constitution however, DHS gets away with doing this by requiring that you unlock your phone before you have technically entered the country. So long story short yes the DHS can force you to unlock your phone for them under certain conditions.

Going through the contents of electronic devices for foreign visitors is hardly unique for the US, even among western countries. It's a common practice in many nations all over the world. However, unless I'm mistaken, these directives have nothing to do with this. This is increased scrutiny on electronic devices purely as devices, not for the contents on their hard drives. The TSA has no authority -- as far as I'm aware -- to investigate the contents of a hard drive, as TSA is not a law enforcement agency. DHS via CBP/HSI do have this authority (although with American citizens, it's a 4th amendment issue), but I haven't seen anything in this announcement that relates to that, apart from the desire to expand the preclearance program.
 
hayzel777
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:18 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:18 am

How do they plan on doing this? K9s are expensive.
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 818
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:31 am

I wonder if I'm going to need to take off my shoes overseas now?
*please note, I'm not being silly, it's just that I rarely ever am asked to remove shoes in a non-USA airport.
 
Aptivaboy
Posts: 832
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:38 am

Going through the contents of electronic devices for foreign visitors is hardly unique for the US, even among western countries. It's a common practice in many nations all over the world.


Concur. For example, the French were well known for going through the personal belongings and electronics of foreign businessmen at airports, allegedly aiding their own domestic industry with some industrial espionage. I recall a news report of some years back where Boeing and other US aerospace firms had become somewhat wary of attending past Paris Air Shows out of fear that trade and economic secrets would be snatched. Whether this actually caused any companies to not attend, or to limit their appearances I know not, but it has been a concern in the past.

This isn't meant to attack France or the French, simply pointing out that this type of behavior isn't limited to the US, although the (un)friendly neighborhood TSA and DHS do seem to be particularly inept about devising standards and then implementing them in rational, logical, unobtrusive ways. I actually agree with many of their rules and regulations, but it's how they go about enforcing them that is often contentious, leading to the claims of incompetence and stupidity that the TSA in particular is known for. This is sad, as there are some good people working there (former police and military, etc.), but the organization lets them down.
 
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:01 am

I'm confused... what good will unlocking my phone do? And how on earth do they propose this is done around the world? I feel like EU privacy laws would put a very sharp stop to the US government requiring to go through your personal devices and invading your privacy! What do they expect to find in your phone? What are they gonna do, have a seperate screening and security area for US bound passengers so they can plug your electronic devices into their computers to see what your up to? Or go through your personal messages and photos? I am a US Citizen (dual with UK) and even I find this totally inappropriate and unacceptable! What if you have a company phone that has private and personal information on it, some random security guy gets to read all this stuff?
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
User avatar
jetblastdubai
Posts: 1894
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:13 am

Blimpie wrote:
Just wondering what the result be if the world governments just turned to say "Eff off to America, we're not spending another goddam dime on screening equipment because the US changes the spec every 18 months" How much money has been spent over the past 20 years every time the feds decide the current x-ray/scanners aren't good enough and need replacing?


As the 'bad guys' get smarter or luckier, America, or other targeted nations, will need to continually update their security equipment and/or procedures. Aviation will always be a preferred target for terrorists as any success on their part will make world-wide news giving terrorist organizations more free press.

Terrorists want to either kill westerners or destroy their way of life - capitalism. Imagine what another 9-11 would do to the aviation industry. Commerce shut down, hundreds of thousands of people out of work and interstate/int'l trade would come to a near-standstill etc.

Looking at the list of explosive-related aircraft accidents below, one has to wonder how many of them could have been prevented had more security measures been in place. How much would it be worth to prevent these types of events?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_ ... ng_attacks
 
User avatar
dennypayne
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 am

XLA2008 wrote:
I'm confused... what good will unlocking my phone do?


As mentioned earlier in the thread:

atcsundevil wrote:
This is increased scrutiny on electronic devices purely as devices, not for the contents on their hard drives.


Presumably to check to make sure they are not rigged with explosives (which the K9's could likely help detect). Doubtful that this has anything to do with the data.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 SF3 SU9 T134/154 Y42
 
User avatar
GlenP
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:11 am

Varsity1 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:



They are covered by the local authorities.

These increased measures are a product of intelligence gathered from Egyptair 804 that hasn't been released publicly.


Wasn't that deemed caused by a fire in the cockpit due perhaps to battery issue?


Explosive residue was present.

The OSCE is developing increased screening recommendations as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/15/middleeas ... index.html


Sorry but that has been discounted, even by the Egyptian CAA, and on the basis of findings by the BEA, as shown in the article linked in post 22 of the following thread:

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1363737&p=19569845&hilit=Egyptair#p19569845
Ubique Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt
 
kimimm19
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:23 am

Another placebo effect...

How about start with making everyone take off their shoes and using only fullbody xray scanner instead of just metal detectors...

I hope the EU gives these guys the finger.
 
PanHAM
Posts: 9731
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 6:44 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:01 am

goldorak wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
Does that mean that all flights to the US will have to use jetways or can they still bus passengers out to hardstands and board off the ground like is common in airports like FRA.

:?: I'd be curious to know what is the relationship between boarding by a jetway versus by bus at a remote stand and security...


at least here in FRA there is no difference in security between Boarding through a jetway amd remote stand. The Apron is a high security area which can be accessed only by employees who have a "red" swipe Card which they get only after a deep Background check. More to that, every Access to the Apron, they go through a separate security check which is much at least as complex as the passenger Screening . I wish that the US Airports would have the same security Standards which the European Airports have. The EU should impose that on flights from the US to the EU
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!
 
TravelsUK
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:37 am

o DHS/TSA will work with aviation stakeholders to ensure these enhanced security measures are fully implemented.


Shouldn't the TSA be getting their own house in order before worrying about other countries airport security? After all I have never heard of pilots carrying live ammunition on to an aircraft from an EU airport, or an off duty police officer 'forgetting' the loaded hand gun in his / her carry on luggage when flying out of theUSA... I could of course be wrong and stand corrected if I am.
757 flights 1 378 350 km 34.4x around earth 2024 h 18 min 74.3 days 12.0 weeks
 
User avatar
AirIndia
Posts: 1260
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:43 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:38 am

So does this mean that the laptop ban can be removed from the curretn 8 airports when they are ready with the new enhanced security measures?
 
User avatar
hvusslax
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:56 am

This all sounds very expensive. For most airports it is going be impractical to apply these measures only to US-bound flights and passengers so it's a choice between not having flights to the US at all or ramping up the security theater for everyone. If every airport with flights to the US needs to have active canine bomb screening then it puts a lot of expense on smaller airports with limited flying to the US and it is going to be more difficult to establish new routes from airports around the world that currently have no US-bound flights.
 
ei146
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:54 am

hvusslax wrote:
This all sounds very expensive. For most airports it is going be impractical to apply these measures only to US-bound flights and passengers so it's a choice between not having flights to the US at all or ramping up the security theater for everyone. If every airport with flights to the US needs to have active canine bomb screening then it puts a lot of expense on smaller airports with limited flying to the US and it is going to be more difficult to establish new routes from airports around the world that currently have no US-bound flights.


Many airports in Europe already have special gate areas dedicated to US flights, either temporary for certain times of day or permanently. The same sometimes applies for flights to the UK or Israel. This is because of the special requirements these countries set. Airlines, airports and local authorities have to find a way to deal with them and this is what they came up with. To enter these areas you may have to go through an additional security check (which of course is not different from the security check you just went through), an additional passport and visa check (which again is not different from what was done at check in by the airline. And border police also already checked your passport on the way to the gate) and maybe an interview about your trip and your luggage (Who are those people anyway asking these questions? They wear airline uniforms but sometimes act as if they had police authority).

Draken21fx wrote:
Who is paying for the bill. Things like "advanced technology" or even "canine screening" are pretty expensive. Last time I checked a trained K9 can cost up to $10k.


In the end it is you and every other passenger paying these bills. Authorities and Airports will raise the fees you pay with your ticket.
 
User avatar
AirIndia
Posts: 1260
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:43 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:11 am

AirIndia wrote:
So does this mean that the laptop ban can be removed from the curretn 8 airports when they are ready with the new enhanced security measures?

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/ ... 28-01.aspx

It will be positive for countries currently under the ban.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12164
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:41 am

The measures are supposedly linked to intel found during the raid in Yemen, nothing to do with an airplane crash.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 12164
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:42 am

Aside from that, cue the remote hangar like terminals that will be built hastily to segregate US bound flights...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
bgm
Posts: 2275
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:29 pm

Will they implement some of these measures in the US, because the TSA is hardly known for their effectiveness...?

Yeah, thought not. More expensive security theater.
OK boomer.
 
UpNAWAy
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:34 pm

If we focus more on who gets on the aircraft and not what that is a step in the right direction. This seesm to be a little of both.
 
User avatar
SamYeager2016
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:37 pm

bgm wrote:
Will they implement some of these measures in the US, because the TSA is hardly known for their effectiveness...?



Be interesting to see if any country starts requiring similar additional requirements for outbound US passengers.... Probably not, but it would be nice to see the boot on the other foot... Doesn't directly affect me thankfully as I decided a long time ago to skip the USA.
 
kabq737
Moderator
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:55 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:

It's been a while since I've been to the USA, but what I understand by this is that the TSA has you unlock your phone and sniff around?

Not the TSA but the DHS. American citizens are actually protected from search and seizure without a warrant in the U.S. Constitution however, DHS gets away with doing this by requiring that you unlock your phone before you have technically entered the country. So long story short yes the DHS can force you to unlock your phone for them under certain conditions.

Going through the contents of electronic devices for foreign visitors is hardly unique for the US, even among western countries. It's a common practice in many nations all over the world. However, unless I'm mistaken, these directives have nothing to do with this. This is increased scrutiny on electronic devices purely as devices, not for the contents on their hard drives. The TSA has no authority -- as far as I'm aware -- to investigate the contents of a hard drive, as TSA is not a law enforcement agency. DHS via CBP/HSI do have this authority (although with American citizens, it's a 4th amendment issue), but I haven't seen anything in this announcement that relates to that, apart from the desire to expand the preclearance program.


Yes I was explaining that the TSA can't do this but that if the DHS wanted to they could. :-)
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6869
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Airport owners will meet all and any requirement of the USA as they want the revenue that the flights generate. Costs will be past on to the airline which flies there and the airline will pass on the cost to us, the passenger. Doubt this will improve our arrival experience in the US, K9 and others will still be combing the q.We all want a safe flying what we don't need is overkill.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 18143
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:42 pm

bgm wrote:
Will they implement some of these measures in the US, because the TSA is hardly known for their effectiveness...?

Yeah, thought not. More expensive security theater.


Any country that has this imposed on them must simply require exactly reciprocal arrangements for all flights from the US. I suspect/hope the EU will.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
freakyrat
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:56 pm

PanHAM wrote:
goldorak wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
Does that mean that all flights to the US will have to use jetways or can they still bus passengers out to hardstands and board off the ground like is common in airports like FRA.

:?: I'd be curious to know what is the relationship between boarding by a jetway versus by bus at a remote stand and security...


at least here in FRA there is no difference in security between Boarding through a jetway amd remote stand. The Apron is a high security area which can be accessed only by employees who have a "red" swipe Card which they get only after a deep Background check. More to that, every Access to the Apron, they go through a separate security check which is much at least as complex as the passenger Screening . I wish that the US Airports would have the same security Standards which the European Airports have. The EU should impose that on flights from the US to the EU


I noticed that when I boarded my Lufthansa flights from remote hardstands both at HAM and FRA. being a retired aviation professional I got to see how large the Airbus A330 is when boarding off the remote hardstand area.
 
freakyrat
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Several years ago I flew back to the US from AMS. Security is pretty tight and is additionally done in the gate area for everybody.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:04 pm

kabq737 wrote:
Yes I was explaining that the TSA can't do this but that if the DHS wanted to they could. :-)

Right -- just trying to reinforce what you said, in addition to responding to misconceptions in other posts. I think there's confusion with some as to the delineation of responsibilities been TSA and CBP/HSI, simply because administratively they all fall under the Department of Homeland Security.
 
freakyrat
Posts: 1788
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:12 pm

ei146 wrote:
hvusslax wrote:
This all sounds very expensive. For most airports it is going be impractical to apply these measures only to US-bound flights and passengers so it's a choice between not having flights to the US at all or ramping up the security theater for everyone. If every airport with flights to the US needs to have active canine bomb screening then it puts a lot of expense on smaller airports with limited flying to the US and it is going to be more difficult to establish new routes from airports around the world that currently have no US-bound flights.


Many airports in Europe already have special gate areas dedicated to US flights, either temporary for certain times of day or permanently. The same sometimes applies for flights to the UK or Israel. This is because of the special requirements these countries set. Airlines, airports and local authorities have to find a way to deal with them and this is what they came up with. To enter these areas you may have to go through an additional security check (which of course is not different from the security check you just went through), an additional passport and visa check (which again is not different from what was done at check in by the airline. And border police also already checked your passport on the way to the gate) and maybe an interview about your trip and your luggage (Who are those people anyway asking these questions? They wear airline uniforms but sometimes act as if they had police authority).

Draken21fx wrote:
Who is paying for the bill. Things like "advanced technology" or even "canine screening" are pretty expensive. Last time I checked a trained K9 can cost up to $10k.


In the end it is you and every other passenger paying these bills. Authorities and Airports will raise the fees you pay with your ticket.


I've flown back to the US from AMS, FRA, HAM and LHR. Each of these airports have dedicated gate areas and addtional layers of security at the gate. EWR has extra layers of security and a dedicated gate for flights to Israel.
 
kabq737
Moderator
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:27 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
Yes I was explaining that the TSA can't do this but that if the DHS wanted to they could. :-)

Right -- just trying to reinforce what you said, in addition to responding to misconceptions in other posts. I think there's confusion with some as to the delineation of responsibilities been TSA and CBP/HSI, simply because administratively they all fall under the Department of Homeland Security.

Yes I agree with you. Thanks for the reinforcement!
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator
 
User001
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: US DHS announces new security measures for US bound flights

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:42 pm

There was a line about establishing more US pre clearance stations.

Given about 20 airports have already been selected in the last few years, with only 2 (Punta Cana and Stockholm) actually getting past the intial list, does this mean the other airports could actually get things moving sooner?

I know AMS has backed out of the scheme, and places like Heathrow will be tricky to implement, but, I would have thought we should have seen more than 2 stations start by now?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos