Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8
 
qf002
Posts: 3679
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:56 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Would be great to see QF fly to ICN.


South Korea is by far our largest trading partner to lack QF service. Given both KE and OZ are throwing A380s at SYD this summer it seems nuts that QF isn't taking a slice of that market for themselves, maybe it will happen once they have reconfigured a few of the A332s to international standard (any updates on whether that is actually happening yet?). The number of Australians heading to Japan has surged in recent years which could lead to a boost in tourists heading to South Korea, especially with the Winter Olympics there next year as well.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1830
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:46 pm

smi0006 wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

JQ fly MEL-BKK 3-4x weekly.

Would be great to see QF fly to ICN. They currently codeshare on OZs service from SYD. Maybe launch BNE to complement? I can't think of any new destinations in Asia for QF to serve except for ICN and India, unless the expansion comes from MEL, BNE or PER to existing QF destinations (e.g. BKK, PVG).


I must agree, would be nice to see QF in ICN at least for the southern summer (high season for Australia), maybe even try out MEL, KE couldn't make it work but maybe QF could.


Still amazes me no airline flies MEL-ICN I suspect it's due to slots ( or capacity rather as Melbourne isn't slot controlled) especially with KE/OZ offering 380s to SYD and growth of the Korean market.

MEL-PVG is a tricky one due to MU, and this significant capacity, despite the JV I feel QF can still command a premium on the route due to soft product and disrupt and lounge offerings.

Also I feel MEL-DPS on a 738 would work, doubt it would be profitable but it would allow pax to burn FF points like SYD-DPS/HNL, as such perhaps there is a business case?

When KE pulled out of MEL the market was so tiny compared to SYD or even BNE (can't remember the exact figure tho). Don't think the market has grown tremendously over the past few years. Minded when KE pulled out they were serving 3x on A332.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:44 pm

From today QF will begin charging for extra legroom in economy on all domestic flights and also extended to Trans Tasman flights

Fees from today are

Domestic Boeing 737 and Airbus A330 flights: $20 - $60, depending on the length of the flight
International short-haul flights (trans-Tasman, Port Moresby, Noumea): $25
International medium-haul flights (Australia to Asia and Dubai, Perth-Auckland, Los Angeles to New York, Dubai to London): $90
International long-haul flights (Australia to London, Honolulu, Los Angeles, New York, Dallas, Santiago and Johannesburg): $180

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-will-no ... room-seats
Forum Moderator
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1718
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:54 am

qf789 wrote:
Qantas has finished installing WIFI on the 2nd 738, VH-XZC

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... g-737-800/


Unusual to see Australian Aviation a little bit behind the news - XZC had WiFi when it went back into service on 12 June.

EK413 wrote:
bunumuring wrote:


Definitely down to frame utilisation.

Could we have a DL episode on our hands?

EK413


Bunumuring, I expect we'll know before VXM returns as NHP is currently at WGA being repainted. Been there approaching 4 weeks now, though, so unsure why so long, but still expect we'll see it before VXM. EK413, can I ask what your 'DL episode' reference relates to (only curious!)?

tullamarine wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
Can I ask why the F100 has found a home in Australia, particularly the mining routes?


The F100 has proven to be unbeatable in durability on the often rough runways at mines etc. Their durability is believed to exceed aircraft such as E190s and 717s. The only other aircraft that appears to be as good in this type of work is the BAe146 but its operating costs are a bit higher.


Add to that, the F100s are older and cheap to buy, quick to depreciate and therefore have a very low ownership and operating cost.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:11 am

VA plans HKG flights from SYD and BNE

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... -hong-kong
Forum Moderator
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:22 am

The PR around the MEL-HKG launch has come across very desperate. Trust the only way for RB to make headlines was to have a weird TV interview and have a go at QF.
I'm that bad type.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8420
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:24 am

I assume "DL episode" refers to the fact that they had three or four (very different) liveries flying around simultaneously.

They definitely still had planes in the Classic Widget scheme when they introduced the Wavy Gravy scheme, and also definitely had planes in the Ron Allen scheme when they introduced the current colour scheme, so as a minimum they had three flying around at the same time. Don't quote me but I think that even have had some Classics still flying around when they introduced the current scheme, so four different livieries. At least the Qantas schemes are each an evolution of each other, Delta's were all radically different.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1718
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:07 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
I assume "DL episode" refers to the fact that they had three or four (very different) liveries flying around simultaneously.

They definitely still had planes in the Classic Widget scheme when they introduced the Wavy Gravy scheme, and also definitely had planes in the Ron Allen scheme when they introduced the current colour scheme, so as a minimum they had three flying around at the same time. Don't quote me but I think that even have had some Classics still flying around when they introduced the current scheme, so four different livieries. At least the Qantas schemes are each an evolution of each other, Delta's were all radically different.


That was my best guess, also. For my two cents, QF would have been better off not saying they would have every aircraft in the 2016 livery by 100th anniversary, and just making it a nice surprise if it did happen that way. Doing what they did just creates an expectation that most of us know they can't deliver on.
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:46 am

DeltaB717 wrote:

That was my best guess, also. For my two cents, QF would have been better off not saying they would have every aircraft in the 2016 livery by 100th anniversary, and just making it a nice surprise if it did happen that way. Doing what they did just creates an expectation that most of us know they can't deliver on.


Only rusted on QF-haters and some A.netters would be holding onto QFs original words. I doubt the Average Joe would know or even care and the media wouldn't give it much airtime, if any.
I'm that bad type.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5554
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:58 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
I assume "DL episode" refers to the fact that they had three or four (very different) liveries flying around simultaneously.

They definitely still had planes in the Classic Widget scheme when they introduced the Wavy Gravy scheme, and also definitely had planes in the Ron Allen scheme when they introduced the current colour scheme, so as a minimum they had three flying around at the same time. Don't quote me but I think that even have had some Classics still flying around when they introduced the current scheme, so four different livieries. At least the Qantas schemes are each an evolution of each other, Delta's were all radically different.

DeltaB717 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
I assume "DL episode" refers to the fact that they had three or four (very different) liveries flying around simultaneously.

They definitely still had planes in the Classic Widget scheme when they introduced the Wavy Gravy scheme, and also definitely had planes in the Ron Allen scheme when they introduced the current colour scheme, so as a minimum they had three flying around at the same time. Don't quote me but I think that even have had some Classics still flying around when they introduced the current scheme, so four different livieries. At least the Qantas schemes are each an evolution of each other, Delta's were all radically different.


That was my best guess, also. For my two cents, QF would have been better off not saying they would have every aircraft in the 2016 livery by 100th anniversary, and just making it a nice surprise if it did happen that way. Doing what they did just creates an expectation that most of us know they can't deliver on.


Spot on the mark RyanairGuru.

Here are the next B737's to have a new coat of paint applied once -VXM returns VHVYD (CGK), VHVYE, VHVYF (CGK), VHVYG, VHVYH.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
n729pa
Posts: 1181
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:15 pm

Does the livery thing really matter by the anniversary? Personally I think it doesn't and I would bet 90% of the passengers wouldon't probably notice anyway. It's not as though they are radically different from one another to stand out.

Be nice to see if they roll out 5-6 of the old liveries over the years like a silver QEA 737 for example. They've got two already done after all. Some anniversary and a marketing dream to plug 100 years of operations.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:35 pm

VA launch new domestic business class by end of the year, all A330's will eventually deployed internationally

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ness-class
Forum Moderator
 
waoz1
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:57 pm

qf789 wrote:
VA launch new domestic business class by end of the year, all A330's will eventually deployed internationally

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austral ... ness-class


Will lose custom out of Perth. Not only tired old fleet going regional routes now small planes on the east west red eye flights. Other than a new Terminal Virgin have done little on the WA market.

As for this down turn in Perth there is an uptake now and has bottomed out watch this space.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1718
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:09 am

Just to clarify, I personally couldn't give a rats whether the whole fleet is done by the 100th or not. I'm keen to see things being done, more to see what each type actually looks like. But having a bit of a marketing background I do think it's best not to create unrealistic expectations... that's all! On a side note, how definite is it that VYD & VYF will be done in CGK? I agree another couple of retro liveries would be great, and I'd personally like to see them all on B737s (partly because I'm from Canberra, and partly for consistency)... but, I wouldn't hate it if they put a 717 into a retro DC-9 based scheme!
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5554
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:48 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
Just to clarify, I personally couldn't give a rats whether the whole fleet is done by the 100th or not. I'm keen to see things being done, more to see what each type actually looks like. But having a bit of a marketing background I do think it's best not to create unrealistic expectations... that's all! On a side note, how definite is it that VYD & VYF will be done in CGK? I agree another couple of retro liveries would be great, and I'd personally like to see them all on B737s (partly because I'm from Canberra, and partly for consistency)... but, I wouldn't hate it if they put a 717 into a retro DC-9 based scheme!


I couldn't give a rats either if it's done by 2020, I just don't like the lack of consistency having 3 colorschemes flying around. I also love to see how the new scheme is applied on the other fleet types.
VYD & VYF definitely going to CGK hopefully for a special scheme but I doubt it.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
kriskim
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:09 am

eamondzhang wrote:
When KE pulled out of MEL the market was so tiny compared to SYD or even BNE (can't remember the exact figure tho). Don't think the market has grown tremendously over the past few years. Minded when KE pulled out they were serving 3x on A332.


When KE pulled out of MEL, the numbers were about the same as Japan. For some reason MEL-Japan has somewhat exploded with demand having picked up, from the 4 weekly JQ service a few years ago, MEL will soon have x2 daily flights, one each from QF and JL. Mind you there was no services to Japan from MEL at all when KE pulled out.

Demand for Korea during the time has also picked up, so maybe it might be a great time to re start, maybe with a LCC? Jin Air or JQ would be perfect IMHO.
A world built upon connectivity.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:15 am

QF MEL-LAX changes to meet seasonal demand

From 12 Feb 18 to 24 Mar 18

QF93/94 will be reduced from daily A388 to 3 weekly A388 and 2 weekly 789

QF95/96 will operated as originally scheduled, 6 weekly

A380 will instead be deployed on higher demanding routes

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-trims-f ... 80-flights
Forum Moderator
 
smi0006
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:17 am

qf789 wrote:
QF MEL-LAX changes to meet seasonal demand

From 12 Feb 18 to 24 Mar 18

QF93/94 will be reduced from daily A388 to 3 weekly A388 and 2 weekly 789

QF95/96 will operated as originally scheduled, 6 weekly

A380 will instead be deployed on higher demanding routes

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-trims-f ... 80-flights


A small change in low season but an interesting change - wonder if this reflects the impact of VA to LAX, and to counter VA to HKG? If QF are noticing VA making a dent ex-MEL maybe time to counter with DFW. Shows how flexible QF have become in recent years, shifting aircraft around with demand - a key element to their recent profitability.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8420
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:23 am

qf789 wrote:
QF MEL-LAX changes to meet seasonal demand

From 12 Feb 18 to 24 Mar 18

QF93/94 will be reduced from daily A388 to 3 weekly A388 and 2 weekly 789

QF95/96 will operated as originally scheduled, 6 weekly

A380 will instead be deployed on higher demanding routes

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-trims-f ... 80-flights


That correlates with the 11 weekly (1.6 daily) that showed up in last weeks OAG update.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
Qantas16
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:08 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
qf789 wrote:
QF MEL-LAX changes to meet seasonal demand

From 12 Feb 18 to 24 Mar 18

QF93/94 will be reduced from daily A388 to 3 weekly A388 and 2 weekly 789

QF95/96 will operated as originally scheduled, 6 weekly

A380 will instead be deployed on higher demanding routes

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-trims-f ... 80-flights


That correlates with the 11 weekly (1.6 daily) that showed up in last weeks OAG update.


Probably an indication that the F market is struggling out of MEL as well. They'll no longer have it on the QF9/10 service MEL-PER-LHR and only 3x weekly on the LAX service (albeit over the low season).

Will we see QF remove F completely when they refit the A380s next year? It would be surprising but they currently have 14 seats... is their any route that consistently fills 14 seats? Maybe reduce to 6 or 8?
 
Obzerva
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:12 am

On the back of the MEL-HKG launch yesterday, VA have announced status and points earn on Capital Airlines (JD), Hainan Airlines (HU), Hong Kong Airlines (HX) and Tianjin Airlines (GS) for all fights between/within Australia, New Zealand, China, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
 
747m8te
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 am

smi0006 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
QF MEL-LAX changes to meet seasonal demand

From 12 Feb 18 to 24 Mar 18

QF93/94 will be reduced from daily A388 to 3 weekly A388 and 2 weekly 789

QF95/96 will operated as originally scheduled, 6 weekly

A380 will instead be deployed on higher demanding routes

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-trims-f ... 80-flights


A small change in low season but an interesting change - wonder if this reflects the impact of VA to LAX, and to counter VA to HKG? If QF are noticing VA making a dent ex-MEL maybe time to counter with DFW. Shows how flexible QF have become in recent years, shifting aircraft around with demand - a key element to their recent profitability.


Agreed only a small change in low season. But I wouldn't look too much into it really as it is only for such a short period during an off peak season for travel to/from the USA and QF will no doubt need the A380 for Chinese new year during that time frame (well in February anyway). If they had reduced the A380 schedule on the route year round you could say VA was impacting but I don't see that being the case here since it only over Feb/March, the reduction of seats by QF more likely just reflecting capacity needs in off peak.

Part of me hopes QF is reducing A380 flying during that time frame to start installing the new F and J class, then once MEL-DXB-LHR finishes the reduced A380 demand will allow them to refit the remaining fleet during the course of next year.
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7515
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:07 am

I would have thought QF would cut the 787 QF95/96 for that period and send them elsewhere. Either they plan to start refitting a little earlier or there is another Asian route that will get them.
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:56 am

747m8te wrote:
Agreed only a small change in low season. But I wouldn't look too much into it really as it is only for such a short period during an off peak season for travel to/from the USA and QF will no doubt need the A380 for Chinese new year during that time frame (well in February anyway). If they had reduced the A380 schedule on the route year round you could say VA was impacting but I don't see that being the case here since it only over Feb/March, the reduction of seats by QF more likely just reflecting capacity needs in off peak.

Part of me hopes QF is reducing A380 flying during that time frame to start installing the new F and J class, then once MEL-DXB-LHR finishes the reduced A380 demand will allow them to refit the remaining fleet during the course of next year.

Hi 747m8te, a heads up: the string of unbroken text in your signature is causing this page to stretch to the right underneath the adverts, rendering this thread very difficult to read on a computer monitor. Could you please introduce some spaces into your signature so it will break over more than one line? For more information about this issue, have a look at: Long text strings in signatures pushing posts to the right underneath ads and Long Signatures.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
747m8te
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:37 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
747m8te wrote:
Agreed only a small change in low season. But I wouldn't look too much into it really as it is only for such a short period during an off peak season for travel to/from the USA and QF will no doubt need the A380 for Chinese new year during that time frame (well in February anyway). If they had reduced the A380 schedule on the route year round you could say VA was impacting but I don't see that being the case here since it only over Feb/March, the reduction of seats by QF more likely just reflecting capacity needs in off peak.

Part of me hopes QF is reducing A380 flying during that time frame to start installing the new F and J class, then once MEL-DXB-LHR finishes the reduced A380 demand will allow them to refit the remaining fleet during the course of next year.

Hi 747m8te, a heads up: the string of unbroken text in your signature is causing this page to stretch to the right underneath the adverts, rendering this thread very difficult to read on a computer monitor. Could you please introduce some spaces into your signature so it will break over more than one line? For more information about this issue, have a look at: Long text strings in signatures pushing posts to the right underneath ads and Long Signatures.

V/F


Hey sorry about that, can't say I have known of the issue myself using any of my computers. I have added a few spaces as suggested so hopefully it will help things :-) Still the odd quirks of the new site format popping up hey!
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 pm

747m8te wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
747m8te wrote:
Agreed only a small change in low season. But I wouldn't look too much into it really as it is only for such a short period during an off peak season for travel to/from the USA and QF will no doubt need the A380 for Chinese new year during that time frame (well in February anyway). If they had reduced the A380 schedule on the route year round you could say VA was impacting but I don't see that being the case here since it only over Feb/March, the reduction of seats by QF more likely just reflecting capacity needs in off peak.

Part of me hopes QF is reducing A380 flying during that time frame to start installing the new F and J class, then once MEL-DXB-LHR finishes the reduced A380 demand will allow them to refit the remaining fleet during the course of next year.

Hi 747m8te, a heads up: the string of unbroken text in your signature is causing this page to stretch to the right underneath the adverts, rendering this thread very difficult to read on a computer monitor. Could you please introduce some spaces into your signature so it will break over more than one line? For more information about this issue, have a look at: Long text strings in signatures pushing posts to the right underneath ads and Long Signatures.

V/F


Hey sorry about that, can't say I have known of the issue myself using any of my computers. I have added a few spaces as suggested so hopefully it will help things :-) Still the odd quirks of the new site format popping up hey!

All good m8te, that's done the trick!

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:17 pm

The A332 has a published range of 13450km. BNE-LAX is 11500km. With VA moving its A332 fleet off trans-continental services, does it have the option of converting some or all of its BNE-LAX services to A332 thus enabling MEL-LAX to upgauge to daily? I assume the 2000km range excess is enough to cover any westbound wind issues.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
Qantas16
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:19 pm

tullamarine wrote:
The A332 has a published range of 13450km. BNE-LAX is 11500km. With VA moving its A332 fleet off trans-continental services, does it have the option of converting some or all of its BNE-LAX services to A332 thus enabling MEL-LAX to upgauge to daily? I assume the 2000km range excess is enough to cover any westbound wind issues.


Given QF could only just get their A332's to fly AKL-LAX, I think VA would find BNE-LAX difficult. It's also ~240nm longer than EZE-FCO which appears to be the current longest route flown by an A332.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:31 am

For anyone who is interested there has been a trip report posted on the inaugural VA MEL-HKG flight

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1367591
Forum Moderator
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7515
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:42 am

Qantas16 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
The A332 has a published range of 13450km. BNE-LAX is 11500km. With VA moving its A332 fleet off trans-continental services, does it have the option of converting some or all of its BNE-LAX services to A332 thus enabling MEL-LAX to upgauge to daily? I assume the 2000km range excess is enough to cover any westbound wind issues.


Given QF could only just get their A332's to fly AKL-LAX, I think VA would find BNE-LAX difficult. It's also ~240nm longer than EZE-FCO which appears to be the current longest route flown by an A332.



QF were using 235T I think A332's which were restricted ex LAX particularly, what are VA's A332's? Some of the newest A332's should make LAX-AKL and possibly LAX-BNE aswell.
 
qf2048
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:51 am

Fly Corporate to operate between Narrabri and Sydney from September. Also to fly BNE-Moree-Inverell.

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... to-sydney/

Jetgo to commence BNE-Wollongong-Essendon.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... rs/?cs=300
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN
 
luftaom
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu May 20, 1999 4:29 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 am

qf2048 wrote:


Jetgo to commence BNE-Wollongong-Essendon.



It must be 17 or 18 years since QFLink dropped Wollongong-Melbourne.
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8420
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:51 am

[twoid][/twoid]
qf2048 wrote:
Fly Corporate to operate between Narrabri and Sydney from September. Also to fly BNE-Moree-Inverell.

http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... to-sydney/

Jetgo to commence BNE-Wollongong-Essendon.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... rs/?cs=300


Goodness, has Inverell ever had commercial service before? Certainly a unique route!

And who was the last airline to operate SYD-NAA? Brindabella?
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:03 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Goodness, has Inverell ever had commercial service before? Certainly a unique route!

And who was the last airline to operate SYD-NAA? Brindabella?

Big Sky Express, operated by Transair, used to fly into Inverell, until Transair's AOC was pulled towards the end of
2006, after the Lockhart River accident in 2005.

True story, my first commercial op was a cargo charter from Archerfield to Inverell, the day after getting my CPL. The cargo? A propeller governor spring for a Transair Metro which was on the ground in Inverell. The thing fitted in my shirt pocket; I was a little nervous of losing it!

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3939
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:04 pm

A lot of flight disruptions, diversions and turn backs due to fog at BNE this evening. Visibility down to 100 metres. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 1499429095
 
Qantas16
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:45 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
A lot of flight disruptions, diversions and turn backs due to fog at BNE this evening. Visibility down to 100 metres. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 1499429095


Indeed, some significant diversions include:

EK435 AKL-BNE diverted to MEL (presumably so wasn't stuck with SYD curfew)
CI54 AKL-BNE diverted to OOL
VA159 AKL-BNE returning to AKL
VA119 ZQN-BNE diverting to MEL
VA44 DPS-BNE diverting to OOL (landing after curfew)
NZ733 AKL-BNE diverted to SYD (delayed overnight, return ~1300 tomorrow)

VA786 CNS-BNE diverted to ROK
VA1225 CBR-BNE diverted to SYD
VA341 MEL-BNE diverted to SYD
QF655 CNS-BNE diverted to OOL
JQ486 NTL-BNE returned to NTL
QF2553 RMA-BNE returned to RMA
QF544 SYD-BNE diverted to OOL
VA973 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
JG065 TMW-BNE returned to TMW
VA1252 ROK-BNE diverted to HVB and then continued to MCY
QF711 CNS-BNE diverted to SYD
QF546 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
VA977 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
QF2345 GLT-BNE returned to GLT
VA347 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
JQ818 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
JQ566 MEL-BNE returned to MEL
QF548 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
QF2369 ROK-BNE returned to ROK
VA620 MKY-BNE diverted to ROK
VA981 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
QF632 MEL-BNE diverted to SYD
JQ820 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
QF1783 ISA-BNE diverted to MCY
VA1227 CBR-BNE returned to CBR
JQ927 CNS-BNE returned to CNS
QF1554 CBR-BNE returned to CBR
QF656 ADL-BNE diverted to SYD
QF552 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
QF634 MEL-BNE returned to MEL
VA386 TSV-BNE returned to TSV
QF636 MEL-BNE returned to MEL
QF594 PER-BNE diverted to SYD
 
Qantas16
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
VapourTrails wrote:
A lot of flight disruptions, diversions and turn backs due to fog at BNE this evening. Visibility down to 100 metres. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 1499429095


Indeed, some significant diversions include:

EK435 AKL-BNE diverted to MEL (presumably so wasn't stuck with SYD curfew)
CI54 AKL-BNE diverted to OOL
VA159 AKL-BNE returning to AKL
VA119 ZQN-BNE diverting to MEL
VA44 DPS-BNE diverting to OOL (landing after curfew)
NZ733 AKL-BNE diverted to SYD (delayed overnight, return ~1300 tomorrow)

VA786 CNS-BNE diverted to ROK
VA1225 CBR-BNE diverted to SYD
VA341 MEL-BNE diverted to SYD
QF655 CNS-BNE diverted to OOL
JQ486 NTL-BNE returned to NTL
QF2553 RMA-BNE returned to RMA
QF544 SYD-BNE diverted to OOL
VA973 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
JG065 TMW-BNE returned to TMW
VA1252 ROK-BNE diverted to HVB and then continued to MCY
QF711 CNS-BNE diverted to SYD
QF546 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
VA977 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
QF2345 GLT-BNE returned to GLT
VA347 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
JQ818 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
JQ566 MEL-BNE returned to MEL
QF548 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
QF2369 ROK-BNE returned to ROK
VA620 MKY-BNE diverted to ROK
VA981 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
QF632 MEL-BNE diverted to SYD
JQ820 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
QF1783 ISA-BNE diverted to MCY
VA1227 CBR-BNE returned to CBR
JQ927 CNS-BNE returned to CNS
QF1554 CBR-BNE returned to CBR
QF656 ADL-BNE diverted to SYD
QF552 SYD-BNE returned to SYD
QF634 MEL-BNE returned to MEL
VA386 TSV-BNE returned to TSV
QF636 MEL-BNE returned to MEL
QF594 PER-BNE diverted to SYD


EK432 DXB-SIN-BNE diverted to ADL
VA471 PER-BNE diverted to OOL

CX157 made it in at ~0200 to BNE, seems to have been the only flight that did since around 7:30pm.
 
log0008
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:56 pm

Has to be one of the worst days/periods I have seen at an Australian airport in years. BNE must invest in CATIII ILS.

In other news The West Australian is reporting that VA's new business class will be based on JetBlues "Mint". If this is the case it will be a big win and is something I have always thought would be a good move for them.

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88528677z
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8420
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:16 am

log0008 wrote:
Has to be one of the worst days/periods I have seen at an Australian airport in years. BNE must invest in CATIII ILS.

In other news The West Australian is reporting that VA's new business class will be based on JetBlues "Mint". If this is the case it will be a big win and is something I have always thought would be a good move for them.

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88528677z


Fog in BNE happens so infrequently that no one is prepared to pay for Cat III. The same applies to SYD, which is affected by fog more frequently than BNE.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
VA82
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:35 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:01 am

Was on QF546 that returned to Sydney. The terminal was chockers with Qantas unable to find accommodation and rebook many guests onto other flights, they ended up making an announcement that they would courden off a section of the terminal and make it secure to sleep in or find your own accommodation and they'll reimburse up to $200. Being school holidays the next available flights for most people are Sunday afternoon (I did get offered an 11 hour SYD - CNS - BNE routing though...)
 
qf2048
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:00 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Goodness, has Inverell ever had commercial service before? Certainly a unique route!

And who was the last airline to operate SYD-NAA? Brindabella?

Big Sky Express, operated by Transair, used to fly into Inverell, until Transair's AOC was pulled towards the end of
2006, after the Lockhart River accident in 2005.

True story, my first commercial op was a cargo charter from Archerfield to Inverell, the day after getting my CPL. The cargo? A propeller governor spring for a Transair Metro which was on the ground in Inverell. The thing fitted in my shirt pocket; I was a little nervous of losing it!

V/F

Didn't Vincent Aviation have a go at it after Brindabella for a couple of months?

Also on Jetgo to Wollongong does Albion Park have security screening? I've never been there. Thought the weight of ERJ triggered the need for screening?
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN
 
smi0006
Posts: 2571
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 pm

VA82 wrote:
Was on QF546 that returned to Sydney. The terminal was chockers with Qantas unable to find accommodation and rebook many guests onto other flights, they ended up making an announcement that they would courden off a section of the terminal and make it secure to sleep in or find your own accommodation and they'll reimburse up to $200. Being school holidays the next available flights for most people are Sunday afternoon (I did get offered an 11 hour SYD - CNS - BNE routing though...)


Not much airlines can do in these scenarios, I would have thought a meeting room, or event space st a hotel would have been more suitable. Did they offer mattresses or anything at all? I've seen SQ have a stock of sleeping bags in MEL
 
luftaom
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu May 20, 1999 4:29 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:20 pm

VA82 wrote:
Was on QF546 that returned to Sydney. The terminal was chockers with Qantas unable to find accommodation and rebook many guests onto other flights, they ended up making an announcement that they would courden off a section of the terminal and make it secure to sleep in or find your own accommodation and they'll reimburse up to $200. Being school holidays the next available flights for most people are Sunday afternoon (I did get offered an 11 hour SYD - CNS - BNE routing though...)


I've often wondered if there is space in the Australian market for someone with a similar business model to Titan/Jota (UK), Avantiair (Germany) or ASL (France) - that is with one or two older planes (737classics, F100s, ARJs that sort of thing) - which to be sure have higher operating costs than something new - but do low numbers of cycles and in sporting parlance are always sitting on the substitutes' bench waiting for a run... which comes either in the summer peak (European's do summer beach holidays) or through charters where the seats are all pre sold to a tour operator who takes the risk on filling the plane, or the last minute call by a major airline who has had a plane go tech (or otherwise needs extra capacity for whatever reason) and needs a wet lease.

I suspect that the answer is no ... but stories like VA82's above often make me wonder. No doubt there would have been plane loads of takers at $300+/head for a BNE-SYD 5am flight and the same on the way back at 9am. Whether there are enough of those opportunities a year to make a profit ... well probably not - but it's nice to wonder...
airliners.net's passenger - simultaneously connecting and flying direct.
 
downdata
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:24 pm

log0008 wrote:

In other news The West Australian is reporting that VA's new business class will be based on JetBlues "Mint". If this is the case it will be a big win and is something I have always thought would be a good move for them.

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88528677z


They only speculated... i'll believe it when i see it. My bet is on a refreshed standard business seat with more legroom and/or a legrest.
 
An767
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:21 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:23 am

downdata wrote:
log0008 wrote:

In other news The West Australian is reporting that VA's new business class will be based on JetBlues "Mint". If this is the case it will be a big win and is something I have always thought would be a good move for them.

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88528677z


They only speculated... i'll believe it when i see it. My bet is on a refreshed standard business seat with more legroom and/or a legrest.


All well and good, make the cabin the best there is. But if your on-board service is not consistent then you will not get/hold passengers. Just another poor attempt by Borghetti to try and make Virgin what it is not, and is still yet to find its niche.

AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8420
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 am

luftaom wrote:
VA82 wrote:
Was on QF546 that returned to Sydney. The terminal was chockers with Qantas unable to find accommodation and rebook many guests onto other flights, they ended up making an announcement that they would courden off a section of the terminal and make it secure to sleep in or find your own accommodation and they'll reimburse up to $200. Being school holidays the next available flights for most people are Sunday afternoon (I did get offered an 11 hour SYD - CNS - BNE routing though...)


I've often wondered if there is space in the Australian market for someone with a similar business model to Titan/Jota (UK), Avantiair (Germany) or ASL (France) - that is with one or two older planes (737classics, F100s, ARJs that sort of thing) - which to be sure have higher operating costs than something new - but do low numbers of cycles and in sporting parlance are always sitting on the substitutes' bench waiting for a run... which comes either in the summer peak (European's do summer beach holidays) or through charters where the seats are all pre sold to a tour operator who takes the risk on filling the plane, or the last minute call by a major airline who has had a plane go tech (or otherwise needs extra capacity for whatever reason) and needs a wet lease.

I suspect that the answer is no ... but stories like VA82's above often make me wonder. No doubt there would have been plane loads of takers at $300+/head for a BNE-SYD 5am flight and the same on the way back at 9am. Whether there are enough of those opportunities a year to make a profit ... well probably not - but it's nice to wonder...


Alliance in particular and to a lessor extent Network and Cobham already can offer that sort of short term charter capacity.

As it is this happened on Friday night, both Qantas and Virgin would have had a fair few 737s idle over the weekend. While there would have been a lot of crew out of position, it would have been relatively easy to add extra segments on Saturday if neccessary. Does anyone know if this happened?
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1718
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:51 am

downdata wrote:
log0008 wrote:

In other news The West Australian is reporting that VA's new business class will be based on JetBlues "Mint". If this is the case it will be a big win and is something I have always thought would be a good move for them.

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88528677z


They only speculated... i'll believe it when i see it. My bet is on a refreshed standard business seat with more legroom and/or a legrest.


That article was written by Geoffrey Thomas, whose fact checking often needs fact checking. For starters, he claims jetBlue has Mint on its A320s, when in fact it is only on their A321s (and, even then, only a subset of those!). He also fails to take into account that Mint was developed for the A320 family's cabin cross-section, which is wider than the B737's. Therefore, it stands to reason that Mint itself cannot be the product VA intends to put on their transcon B737s - perhaps a modified version, but not Mint and, in all likelihood, minus the suites.

RyanairGuru wrote:
luftaom wrote:
VA82 wrote:
Was on QF546 that returned to Sydney. The terminal was chockers with Qantas unable to find accommodation and rebook many guests onto other flights, they ended up making an announcement that they would courden off a section of the terminal and make it secure to sleep in or find your own accommodation and they'll reimburse up to $200. Being school holidays the next available flights for most people are Sunday afternoon (I did get offered an 11 hour SYD - CNS - BNE routing though...)


I've often wondered if there is space in the Australian market for someone with a similar business model to Titan/Jota (UK), Avantiair (Germany) or ASL (France) - that is with one or two older planes (737classics, F100s, ARJs that sort of thing) - which to be sure have higher operating costs than something new - but do low numbers of cycles and in sporting parlance are always sitting on the substitutes' bench waiting for a run... which comes either in the summer peak (European's do summer beach holidays) or through charters where the seats are all pre sold to a tour operator who takes the risk on filling the plane, or the last minute call by a major airline who has had a plane go tech (or otherwise needs extra capacity for whatever reason) and needs a wet lease.

I suspect that the answer is no ... but stories like VA82's above often make me wonder. No doubt there would have been plane loads of takers at $300+/head for a BNE-SYD 5am flight and the same on the way back at 9am. Whether there are enough of those opportunities a year to make a profit ... well probably not - but it's nice to wonder...


Alliance in particular and to a lessor extent Network and Cobham already can offer that sort of short term charter capacity.

As it is this happened on Friday night, both Qantas and Virgin would have had a fair few 737s idle over the weekend. While there would have been a lot of crew out of position, it would have been relatively easy to add extra segments on Saturday if neccessary. Does anyone know if this happened?


I don't know if there were others, but certainly QantasLink/Cobham operated SYD-BNE-MEL as QF1722 / QF1723 on Saturday using an all-economy B717 (VH-NXM) that was parked in CBR awaiting ferry back to PER.
 
waoz1
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:02 am

Virgin Australia tinkering with their frequent flyers.

No more long haul Air NZ (not that they hand them out much), so only across the ditch.
No more Virgin America
Singapore premium economy redemptions
Added Hong Kong Airlines, Capital, Tainjin Airlines and Hainan Airlines

they better hope there push into Asia works!

https://www.finder.com.au/velocity-anno ... r-airlines
 
zkncj
Posts: 3891
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:42 am

waoz1 wrote:
Virgin Australia tinkering with their frequent flyers.

No more long haul Air NZ (not that they hand them out much), so only across the ditch.
No more Virgin America
Singapore premium economy redemptions
Added Hong Kong Airlines, Capital, Tainjin Airlines and Hainan Airlines

they better hope there push into Asia works!

https://www.finder.com.au/velocity-anno ... r-airlines


I get the feeling once the A321NEO arrives NZ is going to cut all there ties with VA, the 321NEO with 220 seats will help them make uo for the capacity loss from the VA flights.

it shows how un happy NZ is with the relationship with NZ will now only sell basic fares on VA and state on there website the reason why!
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - July 2017

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:04 am

I get the feeling once the A321NEO arrives NZ is going to cut all there ties with VA, the 321NEO with 220 seats will help them make uo for the capacity loss from the VA flights.

it shows how un happy NZ is with the relationship with NZ will now only sell basic fares on VA and state on there website the reason why!


There is no doubt that, when on the VA board, Luxon wanted VA to stop flying to the USA and direct all US traffic via NZ. Borghetti & the remainder of the VA Board disagreed strongly, probably correctly identifying that this move was more about enriching NZ than helping VA. At this point, Luxon stormed out of the VA boardroom, never to return.

The latest change is more a reflection at how p!$$ed off NZ was with not getting its way than anything else. NZ relies heavily on Australian sourced pax for its American services to be profitable; it sees VA operating directly to the US in partnership with DL as against NZ's interests. VA and its owners may agree with NZ's judgment but that doesn't mean that they believe they should walk away.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos