Eirules

Re: Irish Aviation 7/17 Thread

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Cbarnes35 wrote:
Friend of mine is a captain for ASL on the 757. I was talking to him the other day and he said they're looking at potentially doing Seattle in the 757. Boeing ran the numbers and they can make Seattle with 3.5 tons of fuel left over which is enough to divert to Vancouver if needs be. The only problem is that there needs to be 30/40 seats blocked off but Microsoft are pushing for the flight and they have guaranteed to keep the business cabin full which should help to offset the 30/40 blocked off seats

That's a looonnngggg flight in a narrowbody. SEA is a great city experiencing rapid growth so it'd be great if they could add it to the network
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

alancostello

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 pm

Cbarnes35 wrote:
Friend of mine is a captain for ASL on the 757. I was talking to him the other day and he said they're looking at potentially doing Seattle in the 757. Boeing ran the numbers and they can make Seattle with 3.5 tons of fuel left over which is enough to divert to Vancouver if needs be. The only problem is that there needs to be 30/40 seats blocked off but Microsoft are pushing for the flight and they have guaranteed to keep the business cabin full which should help to offset the 30/40 blocked off seats

Business on the 757 is only 12 seats though? If they re-configured one with mostly Business class maybe it could work. They'd want to be paying towards those blocked seats too to justify it. What about a non-Microsoft person who wanted to fly Business, would there just be no availability?

JAmie2k9

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Taity wrote:
Afternoon all, a quick questions.

I was under the impression you could pull your boarding pass up on the Aer Lingus app at any time after check in. I checked in at the desk in Edinburgh on Monday then after security pulled the app up to add the boarding pass to my wallet, but it wouldn't let me. Said it was unavailable. I also tried pulling it up directly on the website, no luck.

Is there a restriction once you're checked in or too close to the flight or even if you check in at a desk it blocks online pass fetching? Any thoughts?

I fly to Boston on Sunday and was hoping to have my paper pass and a digital one to keep and was aiming to check in at the desk instead of a machine or online.

Probably because you didn't check in online first.

I checked in online (app (did not download passes)) and got my pass printed at LHR a few weeks ago and was able to also get the pass on my iphone after received the pass at check in. Did the same ex DUB to.

OA260

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:56 pm

Taity wrote:

I was under the impression you could pull your boarding pass up on the Aer Lingus app at any time after check in. I checked in at the desk in Edinburgh on Monday then after security pulled the app up to add the boarding pass to my wallet, but it wouldn't let me. Said it was unavailable. I also tried pulling it up directly on the website, no luck.

Is there a restriction once you're checked in or too close to the flight or even if you check in at a desk it blocks online pass fetching? Any thoughts?

I fly to Boston on Sunday and was hoping to have my paper pass and a digital one to keep and was aiming to check in at the desk instead of a machine or online.

You must check in on the App first. Then when you get to the desk they will see you checked in online. You can then ask them to print you a new BP for whatever reason. The paper version will show ''Re print''. Doing the other way around seems to block out the App version after they print the initial BP at check in.

shamrock350

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Taity wrote:

I think once you've checked in at the desk you can't generate a digital boarding card again but if you check in online or via the mobile app first, you can then approach the desk for a paper version if needs be.

As for the Boston flight, there won't be a digital option as mobile boarding isn't permitted on transatlantic services. No idea why, never seen an explanation from Aer Lingus but I assume it's something to do with security or the pre clearance facility.

Cbarnes35 wrote:

I just can't see it happening. There's only 12 business seats in the 757, nowhere near enough to offset missing out 30/40 economy seats on an aircraft that only carriers 170 or so passengers. I'm guessing Aer Lingus are looking at Vancouver and with Seattle just down the road it may have popped up as an option to consider but if it came down to picking one or the other I'd say Vancouver with an unrestricted A332 is far more likely.

kaitak

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:09 pm

It might seem a bit rude to fly an Airbus to Boeing's home, but I do think that a west coast route should be flown by a widebody; there would surely be a good freight market to SEA and back and on top of that, more J class revenue from 24 J seats.

How would Washingtonians take to a narrowbody, when every other route to major European capitals is operated by widebodies?

As far as diversion are concerned, is threre a chance that the same weather that might necessitate a diversion from SEA might be having the same results at YVR?

EISHN

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:22 pm

kaitak wrote:
How would Washingtonians take to a narrowbody, when every other route to major European capitals is operated by widebodies?

As far as diversion are concerned, is threre a chance that the same weather that might necessitate a diversion from SEA might be having the same results at YVR?

Just about every domestic flight out of SEA is a narrow body and Iceland Air fly the 752 to KEF (saw one parked next to AS hangar the other night), so I doubt they'd mind much.

Something EI could really have going for them would be USCBP in DUB versus doing it in SEA, they only have a small facility that is pretty much at capacity, and expansion is not expected to be completed till 2021 at the earliest.

PDX might be a better spot for diversions.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

OA260

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Speaking of TATL there is a great fare ex BHD to MIA with BA/AA end of August for only EUR366 all in return.

Ticketyboo

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:43 pm

EISHN wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
Over on the Pittsburgh thread a user said that multipe new DUB- US routes will be announced shortly. Since it seems that LAS is not happening what other new American routes could Aer Lingus announce? I could see San Diego, Seattle, Vancouver, Tampa or New Orleans.

Seattle could be interesting. They've had huge growth in the last decade for both the domestic and international markets. The economy in Seattle is doing very well and home to several large companies like Amazon, Microsoft and Starbucks, with lots of international travel.

I had family travel to Seattle last week with AC Rouge via YVR and they found out there were 20 people connecting onwards to SEA on the same flight.
One issue EI might face is that the airport is bursting at the seems and the international section is almost, if not already, at capacity.

If EI launch SEA it'd be great if they were to partner with Alaska Airlines (who have a close relationship with AA, and already partner with multiple international airlines). With their broad support in the area, that might be a smart way to tap into the market.

As for other routes I'd doubt we'd see SAN as they already serve LAX and that's only a 2-3 hour drive away. I'd be surprised if they added a third destination in Florida with TPA.

I think somewhere like MSP would be really interesting. It's one of the wealthiest parts of the USA, and while it's a Delta fortress hub it only has European routes to LHR, CDG, AMS (DL, AF, KL) and KEF (DL, FI) . I'd say there's room for another carrier to squeeze in there and soak some of that traffic.

The idea of MSP is an interesting one. I was based in Minneapolis for 7 years working in the Medical Device industry and between Medtronic, Boston Scientific, St Jude, 3M and others who all have significant operations here in Ireland, had a lot of people travelling from MSP on the shockingly poor Delta services to AMS or LHR to connect. I used to try hard to route MSP to ORD to connect with a European carrier such as BA, VS or KLM to avoid flying Delta. The A330's Delta fly AMS to MSP three times daily are frequently oversold on the back of the success of the JV with KLM and the hellish 767 service to LHR is always busy. With EI pre-clearance in DUB/SNN and the potential to hook up with connections to other European destinations through EI/EI Regional you might think it possible. The services operated by AF and KLM between CDG and AMS went over well when people realised that customer service can exist on flights (that much Al Baker was right).

shamrock321

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Don't believe everything a pilot tells you about the airline they work for, I've learned over the years by that most of it tends to be bull

snnjfk

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:38 am

Have a question on TSA Pre Clearance. I called Aer Lingus to add my trusted traveler number to my boarding pass and they stated they are not part of the program. Has anyone experienced this. A carrier operating as much as they do from the US you would think they would. It's also an big factor when choosing carriers at the same price point if this means you can save a lot of time through security.

BestWestern

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:00 am

On the QR performance, 200+ today onboard. Pax numbers are growing.

No delayed departures ex Dublin so far.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

BestWestern

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:25 am

I see a KL F70 in Dublin this morning. Is this a common occurrence, or just the last week?

OA260

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:23 am

BestWestern wrote:
I see a KL F70 in Dublin this morning. Is this a common occurrence, or just the last week?

Its a regular on the 934.

veron

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum, but very much enjoying the chat. I'm very interested in Norwegian Air's Irish/British operations at the moment. I just cannot believe how cheap they can get you from Ireland/UK to New York City! I'm heading to NYC in September but booked with EI before I knew DY were setting up shop here. My friend has just decided to join me in NYC and has booked DUB-SWF for £286! He could have booked BFS-SWF for £203 but there was no flight out on a Friday.

JAmie2k9

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:04 pm

veron wrote:
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum, but very much enjoying the chat. I'm very interested in Norwegian Air's Irish/British operations at the moment. I just cannot believe how cheap they can get you from Ireland/UK to New York City! I'm heading to NYC in September but booked with EI before I knew DY were setting up shop here. My friend has just decided to join me in NYC and has booked DUB-SWF for £286! He could have booked BFS-SWF for £203 but there was no flight out on a Friday.

New routes announced pretty late so fares are pretty cheap because of a lower lead in. Once they are established they will want/need to increase them at some point.

Can one assume your 286 fare is Low and not Low Plus which is a more realistic comparison with legacy carriers.

opticalilyushin

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Today Belfast saw the first 737 Max revenue flight in Europe, and by flying TATL I assume it's the first revenue flight for North America too.

JAmie2k9

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 am

Some notable bits from T Extra Supplement:

DUB handled 109,000 on Friday (pre record 102,000 last month).

Aer Lingus new MIA service is 85% outbound and 15% inbound with "sizable" transit traffic from Paris and usual transit from UK.

OA260

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:22 am

leghorn

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:24 pm

I'm following the flight from Dublin to Stewart Airport Newburgh on flight radar.
The plane seems to have taken a route fairly far north of the great circle map route.
Is jet stream strong today?
For a plane so close to its maximum range it seems strange that it would be so far north.

This may not be moon-landing historic but it is a great milestone. first flights with 737max from Ireland to US.

Dardania

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 pm

On another thread, the reason surmised for the northern routing was to build up ETOPS experience

leghorn

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Dublin will always have service to New York and East Coast. Hopefully this makes regular services from Belfast, Shannon and Cork a fixture.
Hopefully the fuel burn will be less that projected because that brings the break-even point lower on marginal routes.
It is good to sometimes have something to be optimistic about.

iRISH251

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:54 pm

For anyone interested in such matters, at the Bray Air Show next weekend a DC-3 in period Aer Lingus colours is due to appear. It is South African-registered and has been in SNN for the past few weeks for the paint job to be applied.

BestWestern

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:07 am

The airforce were doing circuits over bray last week, no doubt training for the show.

RRTrent

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 am

OA260 wrote:
Speaking of TATL there is a great fare ex BHD to MIA with BA/AA end of August for only EUR366 all in return.

I got DUB-MIA with EI for €400 return, there are deals to be had out there :D

BestWestern wrote:

Its funny you mention this, I was looking at flights to HEL via AMS in Nov with KL the other day and couldn't help but notice that the return AMS-DUB leg was on a 737. Has an up-gauge been announced or is it a Skyscanner anomaly??

OA260

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:58 am

RRTrent wrote:
Its funny you mention this, I was looking at flights to HEL via AMS in Nov with KL the other day and couldn't help but notice that the return AMS-DUB leg was on a 737. Has an up-gauge been announced or is it a Skyscanner anomaly??

Yes it is an up-gauge. Great to see the route has exceeded all expectations. Also interesting to hear that their DUB-AMS-USA traffic is as popular as ever.

Air France and KLM to step up frequencies out of Dublin

From October 29, the Air France KLM group is set to operate five daily flights on its Dublin-Amsterdam route and four daily flights between Dublin and Paris.

KLM first launched the Dublin-Amsterdam route in November last year with two daily flights, increasing to four daily flights in March before a fifth frequency was added for the summer period. The five daily services have now been confirmed for the winter.

As a result of the upgrade to a B737 aircraft for two rotations, the airline has said that there will be a 161 per cent increase in capacity on KLM’s Dublin to Amsterdam route versus winter 2016. The other three rotations will be operated by an Embraer 190 aircraft with capacity for 100 passengers.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... es-dublin/

shamrock350

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 am

iRISH251 wrote:
For anyone interested in such matters, at the Bray Air Show next weekend a DC-3 in period Aer Lingus colours is due to appear. It is South African-registered and has been in SNN for the past few weeks for the paint job to be applied.

There's a photo doing the rounds online. Looks fantastic.

I would post it but don't know who took the photo and it would might spoil the roll-out pics.

OA260

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 am

shamrock350 wrote:
I would post it but don't know who took the photo and it would might spoil the roll-out pics.

A link to a Twitter post is allowed though. So for those who are interested here is a link :

https://twitter.com/Captain_Crash15/sta ... 2670308352

Joelatbsl

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Dundalk FC will fly from DUB to Trondheim today, using an Avanti Air F100:

http://footballcharters.blogspot.com/20 ... -2017.html

JAmie2k9

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Very good avias offer with AerClube and Rocketmiles

https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/membe ... -and-news/

OA260

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:23 am

Joelatbsl wrote:
Dundalk FC will fly from DUB to Trondheim today, using an Avanti Air F100:

http://footballcharters.blogspot.com/20 ... -2017.html

With a bit of a hitch :

Trip to Trondheim gets off to bad start for Dundalk after plane is delayed two hours over missing tow bar.

https://talkofthetown.ie/trip-trondheim ... g-tow-bar/

BestWestern

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:57 am

That's embarrassing. There must be a Fokker tow bar at DUB for the KLM services.

ClassicLover

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:22 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
Very good avias offer with AerClub and Rocketmiles

Nice that it is good though to the end of September. I always try to make my hotel bookings through Rocketmiles and Kaligo. If the prices are comparable to booking direct (and they are often the same or very close) I will book with them and absolutely rake in the Avios. Very good sites both!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:30 am

ClassicLover wrote:
JAmie2k9 wrote:
Very good avias offer with AerClub and Rocketmiles

Nice that it is good though to the end of September. I always try to make my hotel bookings through Rocketmiles and Kaligo. If the prices are comparable to booking direct (and they are often the same or very close) I will book with them and absolutely rake in the Avios. Very good sites both!

RM is a blessing I racked up 70K with them so far across the platforms .

Ax586

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 pm

BestWestern wrote:
That's embarrassing. There must be a Fokker tow bar at DUB for the KLM services.

There was but shp wouldn't give it to Swissport for the push back

ClassicLover

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:02 pm

OA260 wrote:
RM is a blessing I racked up 70K with them so far across the platforms .

I've raked in even more than that via both Rocketmiles and Kaligo. Really helpful when we had no Avios earning partner in the Republic of Ireland. When Kaligo launched, they had some great deals such as 20,000 Avios for a £1,000 spend. I got 20,000 off one of those, 10,000 off another two, a few 5,000 bonuses and then the actual Avios earned for the hotel stay. Ditto Rocketmiles, I think I got 9,000 from joining plus first booking and onwards from there.

The companies must buy Avios for a pittance I'd say!

Eirules

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:36 pm

I've noticed Aer Lingus seem to have increased their partnership with Air Canada. Whilst looking for flights to YUL, they are now offering connections at BOS & BDL as well as the previous ones via YYZ & ORD (with UA). I wonder what BDL is like to connect in?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

ClassicLover

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Eirules wrote:
I've noticed Aer Lingus seem to have increased their partnership with Air Canada. Whilst looking for flights to YUL, they are now offering connections at BOS & BDL as well as the previous ones via YYZ & ORD (with UA). I wonder what BDL is like to connect in?

My guess would be pretty easy. BDL only has one terminal, so I can't imagine it would be difficult to transfer. Small airports are usually good in this regard as there's not far to walk.

OA260

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:52 am

Avtrade secures Repair Management contract with Cityjet

Avtrade has signed a new Repair Management contract with Irish scheduled and wet lease airline Cityjet, providing the airline with a single source for the management of component maintenance for the carrier's Avro RJ aircraft.
By removing complexity and administration, and providing improved service levels and vendor management, Avtrade will service the carrier’s fleet of 14 Avro RJ type aircraft. Effective immediately and managed by Avtrade’s expert Repair Management team, the services are to be implemented as a true end of life solution running until the last aircraft leaves the Cityjet fleet.

http://www.adsadvance.co.uk/avtrade-sec ... tyjet.html

---

Call for law change to allow second runway at Dublin Airport
Ryanair says it is a vital and urgent piece of infrastructure
There are calls for an end to "repeated delays" in the delivery of a second runway at Dublin Airport.

Irish airline Ryanair is asking the Attorney-General's department to speed up legislation to make the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) the authority to monitor noise regulation.
Ryanair has also reiterated its support for the development of a second runway for Dublin.
It claims this is a vital and urgent piece of national infrastructure, as runway capacity at Dublin is full at peak times.
In a statement, the carrier says the runway "is critical to the continued growth of air travel to and from Ireland especially in the run up to - and after - Brexit, where multinationals are looking at Ireland's air transport links as an alternative to London or other EU cities."
"Repeated delays by the Attorney-General's department to expedite this simple piece of primary legislation, which is necessary to allow the second runway to proceed, are totally unacceptable."

http://www.newstalk.com/Call-for-law-ch ... in-Airport

---

Galway Airport could be 'major all-purpose stadium'

The disused Galway Airport site should be turned into a major all-purpose stadium for the West, according to Roscommon-Galway Independent TD, Michael Fitzmaurice. 
 “It’s a no brainer,” he said, adding that he has contacted all the relevant bodies including site owners Galway City Council and Galway County Council, along with sporting bodies, with a view to arranging meetings to discuss the idea over the summer. 
 “ We need to do this for the West. This is not just about Galway. Let’s shift any obstacles and see who is committed to the idea,” he stated.
The airport closed to flights in 2013 and was bought by Galway City and County Councils in July 2014. The local authorities last year revealed that security at the site cost almost €80,000 for a 12 month period.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/news/t ... e-stadium/

aerdingus

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:49 pm

My uncle who works at DUB has told me an EK A380 will be in next Thurs at 5pm
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

iRISH251

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:19 pm

aerdingus wrote:

I've read on an Irish aviation forum that this is not going to happen.

globalcabotage

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:28 am

Patiently waiting for DFW-DUB on EI or AA and ORD-DUB going daily on AA along with EI on ORD-SNN to compete with UA.

OA260

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 am

BACK IN TIME An Aer Lingus Douglas DC-3 took to the skies of Dublin for the first time in nearly 50 years today – here’s why

Retired air hostess Margaret McLoone, 88, was the passenger of honour on the special flight
As per tradition, the aircraft named after a saint – St Gall in this case – took flight over the capital and Dublin Bay.

Margaret McLoone from Rush, north Dublin, who was a former Aer Lingus air hostess from 1952-1955, was the passenger of honour.
Then known as Margaret Bergin, she flew her first flight on a DC-3 and met her late husband Dinny on board. He was a Second Officer on the flight.
Michael Hickey, Chairman of The Irish Historic Flight Foundation, said: “The venerable queen of the skies is in Ireland once again and on behalf of the IHFF I would like to thank the contributions and efforts of everyone who helped make this happen.
“Particular thanks to Hugh Flynn of ASL Aviation Holdings who was responsible for bringing the aircraft to Ireland and to Aer Lingus for their generous support.”

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1293083/an-a ... heres-why/

( Video and pics in the link )

EI321

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:31 am

Todays Norwegian flight D81762 Dublin to Newburgh has been canceled. Anyone know why?

OA260

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:22 am

Lower fares on the way as Ryanair profits jump 55pc in three months

Profits after tax at low-cost airline Ryanair grew by 55pc in the three months to 30 June 2017 boosted by the timing of Easter and increased traffic growth, according to the latest results from the company.

Profits for the three month period were €397m, up from €256m in the same period in 2016, however the figures are not fairly comparative as there was no significant holiday period in the three months to 30 June 2016.

Revenue at the airline was €1.9bn in the three month period, up 13pc on the same period in 2016.

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 60585.html

aerdingus

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
aerdingus wrote:

I've read on an Irish aviation forum that this is not going to happen.

Thanks for the heads up. This A380 rumour mill going again :( Which forum is it please?
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

kaitak

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Recently, there was some discussion of new EI routes, including Pittsburgh, with an indication that an announcement might be imminent? Anyone have more on this?

SuperSix2

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Anybody any info on what damage EI-LAX sustained and how?

JAmie2k9

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:24 pm

SuperSix2 wrote:
Anybody any info on what damage EI-LAX sustained and how?

It was hit by steps. Would expect it back shortly.

Provance

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:19 am

http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 57841.html

Business Irish
Tuesday 25 July 2017
Business Newsletter
Aer Lingus warns it faces turbulent times as low-cost Norwegian and Ryanair threaten its market share

Aer Lingus threatens to outsource work as it says it can't afford a €107m rise for staff and already pays more than rivals. 'The document outlines how Aer Lingus’s transatlantic ambitions face a major threat from Norwegian, the newest entrant to Ireland’s transatlantic market.'

The honeymoon period is over. That is the stark message from a confidential document prepared by Aer Lingus management, outlining the challenges the airline faces. Since Willie Walsh's IAG bought Aer Lingus in 2015 all of the vibes have been positive. News of profit growth, new routes and the emerging transatlantic hub at Dublin Airport has given the impression that, if anything, Willie Walsh got a bargain deal from the Government.

But an extraordinary 49-page submission to the Labour Court, seen by this newspaper, outlines in stark terms just why the airline's management believes that it cannot give in to a huge pay claim from trade unions.

The document outlines how Aer Lingus's transatlantic ambitions face a major threat from Norwegian, the newest entrant to Ireland's transatlantic market. It also brands its short-haul operation as "structurally unsustainable", admitting it has been negatively impacted by Ryanair's improved customer focus. And, most ominously, the document warns that IAG would pull back funding if the pay increases were to go through and that outsourcing could become a reality.

Contamination effect

Trade unions are seeking a 5pc pay increase each year for three years, as well as a profit share and the restoration of increments foregone during the recession. The total cost of the claim over three years - if the profit share was just 1pc - could be as high as €107m, said the Labour Court submission. The claim, it said, would mean a 29pc increase on the pay bill for the staff in question. "This is for one section of our workforce and we must give full consideration to the contamination effect for non-operational staff and our pilot population if we applied the same 29pc across the board…" The pay hike, if granted, would give competitors a significant cost advantage, reduce transatlantic growth and restrict Dublin Airport's "opportunity to develop as a gateway to the North Atlantic".

Aer Lingus is already "off-market" with regards to its cost base, and much of this relates to employee costs, it said.
"There is simply nowhere to go if off-market pay, terms and conditions are maintained. Market share will be conceded to Ryanair, Norwegian and other value carriers, and Aer Lingus will be forced to contract its business," it warned.

The document cites the example of cabin service managers in Aer Lingus who earn €63,000, 38pc more than in Easyjet. Aer Lingus cabin crew on almost €38,000 earn 31pc more than their Easyjet counterparts, it said.

Structural Challenges

According to the document Aer Lingus faces "two significant structural challenges". The first is the launch of Norwegian's services from Dublin, Cork and Shannon to the US "utilising a cost base significantly lower than Aer Lingus". The second key challenge is the need for Aer Lingus to return its short-haul business "to long-term sustainable profitability which justifies its return on invested capital".

Given that the document is a Labour Court submission in which management is arguing that it is not in a position to grant what it sees as overly generous pay hikes, it is perhaps not surprising that the sentiment expressed is one of negativity. No doubt a 49-page document prepared for a different audience - say an investor roadshow - would accentuate many more of the positives. But the Labour Court submission is blunt in its assessment of the airline's financial performance: the business "remains susceptible to external shocks" and must move away from "the historical 'boom and bust' scenario through structural change".

Aer Lingus has been "a marginally profitable company during the 10 years to 2015, having failed to deliver sustainable profits during that period. The business exists in a structurally marginal state and needs to continue to reduce its cost base if it is to be sustainable in the future".
The 2016 financial year was "the first time in the last 20 years that results will get close to Aer Lingus's main competitors and what credit agencies would consider 'normal'."

After years when staff accepted a series of pay freezes, high profits have been a key reason cited by the company's trade union group for the large pay claim. Profits increased by €109m from €124m in 2015 to €233m 2016.

But, according to the submission, this strong recent performance is a fragile thing. Aer Lingus's employee cost base is unsustainable with pay on average 20pc to 50pc higher than market rates and the airline is "at a competitive cost disadvantage against its main rivals such as Ryanair on short-haul services and the new breed of low-cost long-haul value carriers".

"The continued un-competitiveness of the airline's operational cost base is real, and will hinder, or if allowed to deteriorate further, potentially reverse growth plans," said the document.

The main drivers of profitability in 2016 were a low fuel price, low interest rates and "holidays" across debt repayments. A major advantage for the airline in recent years has been the fact that it chose not to replace 14 older short-haul Airbus A320 and eight older long-haul A330 aircraft that it owns and which have been written down heavily resulting in low annual depreciation costs. But that advantage is now turning to disadvantage. Currently the airline has 52 aircraft including four leased 757s. It plans to increase the fleet to 61 aircraft, amounting to a required investment well in excess of €1bn.

The risk of fuel price increase is also "significant and material in terms of Aer Lingus profitability". "With continued Middle East unrest, Brexit and the new Trump administration, many believe that fuel increases are likely."

If fuel were to increase by 30pc from today's levels - still relatively low in historical terms - Aer Lingus's cost base would rise between $100m and $120m, it said.

Growing competition

Competitive pressure and economic uncertainty is increasing both on short haul and long haul, it said. Ryanair overlaps with Aer Lingus on 86pc of the short-haul market "and continues to grow market share ex-Dublin at the expense of Aer Lingus".
On the long-haul transatlantic market, where Aer Lingus has focused much of its recent expansion, it faces competition on 82pc of routes, said the document. The real problem is the nature of the competition: Aer Lingus, it said, is up against "both low-cost emerging value carriers and legacy US carriers, who have had the benefit of significant cost base restructuring through Chapter 11".

The Aer Lingus document warns that the growth in capacity in "the value carrier market" from carriers with similar models to Aer Lingus, such as Wow, Icelandair, Westjet, Air Transat, Rouge and Norwegian, "is far exceeding overall market growth trends".The level of competition faced by Aer Lingus means "there is little or no ability to pass on additional and excess cost through fare increases", it said. Aer Lingus is "a value carrier and its primary weapon is price" but "competitors with lower cost bases will continue to aggressively develop their positions across our network".

Indeed, the "very success that Aer Lingus has experienced on the transatlantic market will, in itself, act as a 'magnet' to competitors who will look to come on the same routes as Aer Lingus", it said.

Norwegian threat

The document highlights in particular the transformative growth ambitions of Norwegian" with its plans to scale up its wide bodyfleet to 32 by 2018: "Norwegian will be a key competitor for Aer Lingus in future." The competitive environment on the short-haul market is also to "get more difficult" with Ryanair planning a 14.5pc increase in flights from Dublin for 2017, compared to Aer Lingus's planned 2.7pc growth.
"Furthermore, Ryanair is targeting its growth on primary airports as well as secondary airports. This means that Aer Lingus faces a greater proportion of direct 'same airport to same airport' competition. This is significant to Aer Lingus as the Aer Lingus cost per ASK [available seat kilometres] excluding fuel is 5.16 euro cents as compared to Ryanair at 2.1 euro cents, so Ryanair's cost base is less than half the level of Aer Lingus," said the document.

The document also warns about the success of Ryanair's 'Always Getting Better' programme, saying that the heavy investment in customer focus has "directly impacted Aer Lingus". Aer Lingus's 'sentiment tracker' between April 2014 and November 2016 found that the number of passengers stating that 'Ryanair is better than Aer Lingus' had grown from 10pc to 15pc.

"This means that the Ryanair campaign is proving successful in changing perceptions of its brand but also putting more pressure on Aer Lingus in terms of justifying the premium it charges," it said.

Just what Michael O'Leary's heavily-criticised appearance on RTE's Liveline last week has done for these perceptions would, of course, be interesting to track.

IAG resources

The document also dispels any notions that trade unions and staff might have had that London IAG is the aviation equivalent of a sugar daddy for its new Irish subsidiary. It must compete for resources against other IAG airlines such as British Airways, Iberia and Vueling. As "a rational parent company", IAG deploys its capital resources to the airline that can generate the highest return on invested capital (ROIC), it said.
"Unreasonable pay requests risk damaging Aer Lingus's ability to deliver acceptable profits and cash generation and therefore threaten to reduce IAG's willingness to allocate cash resources to Aer Lingus and support future growth," it said.

And the airline has a stark warning for its staff. The short-haul business, where the vast majority of staff are deployed and which accounts for 54pc of passenger revenue, is "structurally unsustainable due the higher cost of employment and lower productivity levels when compared with direct and genre competitors". This has meant that the short-haul operation has "delivered cumulative losses between 2008 and 2015 and does not pass the threshold of our required ROIC return to justify replacement investment."

Cost-cutting and productivity programmes were undertaken across the ground and cabin workforces in 2016 but need to now be sustained in terms of pay, it said. In the past threats of outsourcing have hung over airport staff. The Labour Court submission makes it clear that the threat has not gone away. "While it is our preference to continue with a direct-resource model, if balance between pay movement and productivity cannot be achieved going forward, we will have no choice but to revisit the current resourcing model," it said.

Elsewhere, the document outlines how the airline's ground operation is carrying a "legacy cost from having an in-house operational model that is different from the outsourced model that many global airlines now adopt". For example, it said, Aer Lingus has a range of "legacy" terms and conditions "typically not present in the employee agreements at a third-party handling agent and are contributing to significantly higher unit costs".
EI, FR, BD, RE, UA, XL, US,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos