Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tphuang

Re: OAG Changes 7/2/2017: DL BOS-PIT, TP Drops JFK-LIS, G4 RDU-SJU, 3M Shrinks

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:07 am

flyPIT wrote:
tphuang wrote:
B6 e90 have the most comfortable y class experience domestically. The ems seat on them have greater pitch than Delta first class cabin and just a one inch narrower in width. So I think this route already has a very good business product.

So you are taking a Y class product which has an inch narrower seat size, a couple more inches in the emergency row only, and calling that a very business class product?

There are 4 rows (not just exit row) which are all at 39 inch, so that's all 16 seats vs 37 inch on Delta first class. The width is 18.25 inch vs 19.6 inch on Delta fc. I don't see the difference to be that large. And ife options for b6 is better. If you have mosaic status, getting upgraded to ems is pretty cheap. A lot of times, mosaic members can ask for upgrade at gate and getfree upgrade to ems.

Secondly, most people traveling for business on such short flight is not going to buy first class ticket and the y experience on b6 e90 is certainly miles ahead of anything Delta has to offer on their regional jet.

So the combination makes it a good product. After all, you could be stuck on a sub 17 inch seat with 34 inch pitch on Delta comfort+ if your upgrade doesn't go through. And Delta is the most stingy of the legacy carriers in free upgrades.

usairways85

Re: OAG Changes 7/2/2017: DL BOS-PIT, TP Suspends JFK-LIS, G4 RDU-SJU, 3M Shrinks

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:17 am

With AA's cut in PHL-LAX capacity, AA will have more capacity on PHL-SFO than they do PHL-LAX in October. And across all carriers SFO will likely have more capacity than LAX. Of course this subject to change as schedules are finalized.

Jo8338

Re: OAG Changes 7/2/2017: DL BOS-PIT, TP Suspends JFK-LIS, G4 RDU-SJU, 3M Shrinks

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:19 pm

miaami wrote:
It looks as though AA will be down gauging the 77W on MIA-LAX to a A-321 starting 10/29/17.

It looks like the eastbound is only gone for about a week. Not sure if it will stay for repositioning. This isa capacity drop.i expect to see a few more 32b's added.

flyPIT

Re: OAG Changes 7/2/2017: DL BOS-PIT, TP Drops JFK-LIS, G4 RDU-SJU, 3M Shrinks

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:24 pm

tphuang wrote:
There are 4 rows (not just exit row) which are all at 39 inch, so that's all 16 seats vs 37 inch on Delta first class. The width is 18.25 inch vs 19.6 inch on Delta fc. I don't see the difference to be that large. And ife options for b6 is better. If you have mosaic status, getting upgraded to ems is pretty cheap. A lot of times, mosaic members can ask for upgrade at gate and getfree upgrade to ems.

Secondly, most people traveling for business on such short flight is not going to buy first class ticket and the y experience on b6 e90 is certainly miles ahead of anything Delta has to offer on their regional jet.

So the combination makes it a good product. After all, you could be stuck on a sub 17 inch seat with 34 inch pitch on Delta comfort+ if your upgrade doesn't go through. And Delta is the most stingy of the legacy carriers in free upgrades.

I never suggested B6 does not have a good economy product; they do. All I am saying is there is more to business class than just the seat. To your second point, if that is truly the case then why do legacies offer business class on short flights at all? Seems like your perspective is that of someone looking for a free upgrade.
FLYi

Dominion301

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:04 am

grbauc wrote:
Vctony wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

What is the business case for "taking the hatchet fully" to PHL, a hub in a large, reasonably strong business market and arguably the only mega-hub in the northeast?

I don't even think that there's a business case for "taking the hatchet fully" to PHX either.

I think he was just pointing out that Delta was able to relocate aircraft from some of their weaker hubs. AA really doesn't have that option. The current AA administration is definitely not aggressive outside of their hubs.

True plus DL brought in the beloved 717 that UA still doesn't and AA (E90) barely has. UA are definitely the most clueless outside of their hubs (cough RDU-LGA cough). It's already been pointed out in this thread where those slots are going back to.

While AA still have a few thanks to their LGA/RDU ops and l-US, I can't think of a single non-hub route UA currently operates...the short-lived RDU cry baby example notwithstanding.

Rdh3e

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:24 am

Dominion301 wrote:
, I can't think of a single non-hub route UA currently operates...the short-lived RDU cry baby example notwithstanding.

There are a few in CLE plus LGA-MTJ if that is still running.

The fact is most of DLs hubs are maxed out in terms of viable markets. Sure they will try a new one here and there but there's only so much utility in adding ATL-BHM #14. Most of the new growth is being sought on the frontiers of their network which is BOS, RDU, and SEA.

Dominion301

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:36 am

Rdh3e wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
, I can't think of a single non-hub route UA currently operates...the short-lived RDU cry baby example notwithstanding.

The fact is most of DLs hubs are maxed out in terms of viable markets. Sure they will try a new one here and there but there's only so much utility in adding ATL-BHM #14. Most of the new growth is being sought on the frontiers of their network which is BOS, RDU, and SEA.

True about CLE hub leftovers which keep CLE as essentially UA's only focus city.

Jshank83

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:13 am

Rdh3e wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Why don't UA/AA/DL fly more point to point routes? WN (although now it seems to be getting a little less point to point) and others seem to do well with them. I am not saying they should go full blown point to point or anything but there have the be plenty of routes they could make work pretty easily if they would fly them. Obviously there is a reason they don't do them though.

acentauri

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:33 am

usairways85 wrote:
With AA's cut in PHL-LAX capacity, AA will have more capacity on PHL-SFO than they do PHL-LAX in October. And across all carriers SFO will likely have more capacity than LAX. Of course this subject to change as schedules are finalized.

This is a 1 month cut. PHL-LAX returns to 6 Daily from November 5th. Both Virgin and Spirit have also entered the market with 1 Daily NS each. Total = 8 Daily PHL-LAX. PHL-SFO will have the same number of Daily Flights (8) between AA, UA and Virgin.

grbauc

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:43 am

Dominion301 wrote:
grbauc wrote:
Vctony wrote:

I don't even think that there's a business case for "taking the hatchet fully" to PHX either.

I think he was just pointing out that Delta was able to relocate aircraft from some of their weaker hubs. AA really doesn't have that option. The current AA administration is definitely not aggressive outside of their hubs.

True plus DL brought in the beloved 717 that UA still doesn't and AA (E90) barely has. UA are definitely the most clueless outside of their hubs (cough RDU-LGA cough). It's already been pointed out in this thread where those slots are going back to.

While AA still have a few thanks to their LGA/RDU ops and l-US, I can't think of a single non-hub route UA currently operates...the short-lived RDU cry baby example notwithstanding.

So far I like the move of Scott Kirby to UA and I think AA needs a Fresh Voice someone for Parker to groom or maybe just some new blood for fresh eyes.

grbauc

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:48 am

Rdh3e wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

And LAX there shuttle to SFO is getting some Mainline. They fly to OAK and AA doesn't giving me a option of OAK if needed.

usairways85

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:19 am

acentauri wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

This is a 1 month cut. PHL-LAX returns to 6 Daily from November 5th. Both Virgin and Spirit have also entered the market with 1 Daily NS each. Total = 8 Daily PHL-LAX. PHL-SFO will have the same number of Daily Flights (8) between AA, UA and Virgin.

10/16 schedule (equipment likely to change)
AA
1x 332
1x 320
3x 321

UA
3x 738

VS
1x 319

9 flights

tphuang

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:25 pm

grbauc wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
grbauc wrote:

So far I like the move of Scott Kirby to UA and I think AA needs a Fresh Voice someone for Parker to groom or maybe just some new blood for fresh eyes.

I really don't know what Parker's strategy is. For the past 6 months, AA seems to just continually shrink at every given chance on the East Coast, especially at JFK and BOS. It's quite sad actually.

UA, on the other hand, is defending SFO pretty aggressively.

Aliqiout

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:48 pm

When will it be time to present AS and VX together?

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Aliqiout wrote:

I believe they don't have a single operating certificate yet. I could be wrong but that's my guess.

usairways85

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:55 pm

tphuang wrote:
grbauc wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

I really don't know what Parker's strategy is. For the past 6 months, AA seems to just continually shrink at every given chance on the East Coast, especially at JFK and BOS. It's quite sad actually.

And PHL to that. Aside from the not so surprising international cuts, domestic capacity is down something like 5-10% since the merger.

Aliqiout

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:45 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

I believe they don't have a single operating certificate yet. I could be wrong but that's my guess.

That is correct, but they are coordinating schedules. I seem to remember elmira combining listing when that started happening in other mergers/aquisitions. After all, the feeder airlines that operate under seperate operating certificates are included under the marketing carriers.

grbauc

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 pm

usairways85 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
grbauc wrote:

And PHL to that. Aside from the not so surprising international cuts, domestic capacity is down something like 5-10% since the merger.

I really do wonder what his (DP) vision is. Delta is clear to see. UA is becoming more and more visible. Doug has done it all, the impossible really. Who going to step in?

oneskyjet

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:57 pm

TAP is not pulling out of JFK.
This is an error.
The flights are doing very well.

alasizon

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:23 am

ericm2031 wrote:
Seems like quite a few AA reductions in PHX, which coincide with WN cuts recently. Maybe the ULCC's are making some headway there.

For perspective. Not nearly is much is "cuts" as the report makes it appear.

AA PHX-BOS OCT 4>3
Last year was 3x 738. This year is 2x 738 and 1x 321
AA PHX-BUR OCT 5>3
Last year was 4x CR9. This year is 3x CR9 with the cut of the early AM turn
AA PHX-DRO OCT 3>1.9
Last year was 3x CRJ. This year is 1x CR9 and 1x CR7
AA PHX-DTW OCT 3>2
Last year was 3x 320. This year is 2x 320
AA PHX-EWR OCT 4>3
Last year was 3x 738. This year is 2x 738 and 1x 320
AA PHX-LAX OCT 9>8
Last year was 4x 321, 3x CR9 and 1x 757. This year is 4x 321, 2x CR7 and 1x 320 along with some extra added frequencies that probably make it round up to 8.
AA PHX-MCI OCT 3>2
Last year was 2x 738 and 1x 319. This year is 2x 320.
AA PHX-MCO OCT 2.0>1.1
Last year was 2x 321. This year is 1x 321 plus the flex flying
AA PHX-MSP OCT 4>3
Last year was 3x 738. This year is 3x 738
AA PHX-PSP OCT 6>5
Last year was 7x CRJ. This year is 4x CR7 and 1x CR9.
AA PHX-STL OCT 3>2
Last year was 1x 738 and 1x 320/CR9 along with 1x 319 on peak days. This year is 1x 738 and 1x 319/CR9.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Rdh3e

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:17 am

alasizon wrote:

But your explanations just showed that most of them are still cuts YOY. So maybe slightly less bad, but still a lot of cuts.

All these below are actual YOY cuts by your comments, it's quite a few.
alasizon wrote:
AA PHX-BUR OCT 5>3

AA PHX-DRO OCT 3>1.9

AA PHX-DTW OCT 3>2

AA PHX-MCI OCT 3>2

AA PHX-MCO OCT 2.0>1.1

AA PHX-PSP OCT 6>5

AA PHX-STL OCT 3>2
Last year was 1x 738 and 1x 320/CR9 along with 1x 319 on peak days. This year is 1x 738 and 1x 319/CR9.

alasizon

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:40 am

Rdh3e wrote:
alasizon wrote:

But your explanations just showed that most of them are still cuts YOY. So maybe slightly less bad, but still a lot of cuts.

All these below are actual YOY cuts by your comments, it's quite a few.
alasizon wrote:
AA PHX-BUR OCT 5>3

AA PHX-DRO OCT 3>1.9

AA PHX-DTW OCT 3>2

AA PHX-MCI OCT 3>2

AA PHX-MCO OCT 2.0>1.1

AA PHX-PSP OCT 6>5

AA PHX-STL OCT 3>2

Specifically on DRO & PSP, seats are at a net zero. I do agree there are cuts though on markets that should be able to support more.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

32andBelow

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:52 am

Aliqiout wrote:
MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

That is correct, but they are coordinating schedules. I seem to remember elmira combining listing when that started happening in other mergers/aquisitions. After all, the feeder airlines that operate under seperate operating certificates are included under the marketing carriers.

Not only are the coordinating schedules they are only scheduling from Seattle.

GSP psgr

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:03 am

GSP-ORD goes from 3 ERJs to 3 CR7s; fast increase for a new route.

michman

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:09 am

Jshank83 wrote:

Why don't UA/AA/DL fly more point to point routes? WN (although now it seems to be getting a little less point to point) and others seem to do well with them. I am not saying they should go full blown point to point or anything but there have the be plenty of routes they could make work pretty easily if they would fly them. Obviously there is a reason they don't do them though.

As you add point to point routes, you are taking away traffic from your hubs and undermining your hub-and-spoke model. The hub-and-spoke model enables the legacies to connect a larger number of destinations than the point-to-point model. But you really need a critical mass of flights to make them work. Start reducing the frequency of flights or destinations for point-to-point flying, and you begin losing customers who relied on your frequency and ability to connect them to a large number of destinations through your hubs. DL has adopted somewhat of hybrid model for lucrative markets like BOS and RDU where they added a number of point-to-point routes that bypass their hubs. While they call BOS a "hub", it's really more of a focus city than a traditional connecting hub. Likewise, WN has somewhat of hybrid model these days as several cities are just connected to the closest large WN "hub" and most of the traffic is just connecting.

ahj2000

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:46 am

GSP psgr wrote:

The bleed to Charlotte has to be terrible. Friends in both GSP and GSO/PTI areas come here to CLT for the better network, so perhaps connecting these cities to OrD allows AA to offer connections making the trek to Charlotte seem not worth the extra time.
-Andrés Juánez

GSP psgr

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:49 am

ahj2000 wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

The bleed to Charlotte has to be terrible. Friends in both GSP and GSO/PTI areas come here to CLT for the better network, so perhaps connecting these cities to OrD allows AA to offer connections making the trek to Charlotte seem not worth the extra time.

It depends where in the GSP metro area you are. I do all the travel reservations for my family. My Mom and Dad and eldest brother and his wife are going to the UK in late summer. Parents (live 2 mi from GSP) insisted on GSP, as they hate the hassle of driving to CLT and the expensive parking. My brother and his wife (Spartanburg) opted for CLT because they wanted the AA nonstops, so it truly is a YMMV situation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos