Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FF22DXB
Topic Author

Etihad, Emirates and Turkish say laptop ban lifted on U.S. flights

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:47 pm

So this means a clear advantage over EK and QR?

Source: Gulfnews.com

PerfectGriffin

Re: Etihad is fully lifting the electronics ban on board its flights to the US

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:12 pm

It always made since they had a pre-clearance facility. Not sure what this means for EK and QR though, but this is certainly a huge advantage for EY.

sadiqutp

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Interesting !!

My guess is that the other two will follow shortly

Virtual737

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Just received an email from them:

If you are planning to travel to the US in the near future, we wanted to let you know that you can now take all your electronic devices on board our US flights from Abu Dhabi.

The US Immigration facility at Abu Dhabi Airport not only enables you to clear US immigration before you fly to the US, but with the additional security checks in place, you can now take all your electronic devices safely on board with you.

Book now and fly to over 100 destinations across the US, stress-free.

email links to:

http://www.etihad.com/en/announcements/ ... evice-ban/

LAXintl

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:44 pm

My prediction is that very rapidly the ME3 airports and IST will have the restriction lifted as they comply with the new screening requirements while now all of a sudden slew of other airports globally will have issues meeting the new requirements either because of the lack of technology, staff, facility limitations or other lack of controls.

migair54

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:17 pm

I think EY was the first one to have the ban lifted because EY also have a much less volume of US flights compare with the others, so they have implemented the measures faster.
I agree that we will see EK, SV, QR and TK following soon. And hopefully we will see some of the cancelled flights returning to the USA (EK).

LAXintl

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Statement from DHS spokesperson David Lapan:

"Etihad Airways & Abu Dhabi International Airport have implemented the required initial enhanced security measures. PEDs restriction lifted.
Kudos to Etihad Airways for swift security changes. Passengers will now be able to bring PEDs into the cabin of their US-bound flights."

lightsaber

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:56 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Statement from DHS spokesperson David Lapan:

"Etihad Airways & Abu Dhabi International Airport have implemented the required initial enhanced security measures. PEDs restriction lifted.
Kudos to Etihad Airways for swift security changes. Passengers will now be able to bring PEDs into the cabin of their US-bound flights."

Huge advantage having this cleared. I cannot imagine a business flight without my laptop. I fully expect this to financially benefit EY/9W.

Lightsaber

sassiciai

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:43 pm

I cannot imagine a business flight without my laptop.

Maybe true today. I foresee in the not too distant future when the entire notion of computer infrastructure will change, mostly because of this threat. But actually, is it a good idea that each day, hundreds of thousands of PCs/laptops/... travel across the Globe, with the perceived or actual threat that they pose

Already with cloud computing, even just Goggle Drive, you can complete some work in one place, then fly somewhere else, login, and continue where you were with your documents. More customized applications pose a higher level of challenge. But the basic notion that we all have to carry our own processor with its own memory, case, battery, etc are long gone. I predict that there will be a business-lead change to having an SD-card sized private memory that slides into an airline provided in-seat PC that will offer the most common business tools for free. And not 25 years from now! This will largely allow us all to at least travel without needing to have our PC to hand

The most important and largest after the PCs is now the smart phone? So let's get a solution where we can bring what we need on a chip, without bringing all the techno stuff (batteries etc) that excite the security guys! Quite recently, I have had guests from the USA who arrive with Mobile and GPS, only to discover that none of it works in Europe!

Might be a lot nicer than now - no heavy computer equipment, no bulky phone, no battery recharger(s). You bring the small bits of intelligence, and slot them into the local infrastructure that is available (for free, for hire, supplied by your company, .....)

Just an idea, but one that somehow feels correct!

dtw2hyd

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Assuming this is related to the existence of pre-clearance facility, it was a well thought strategic investment, paid off very well.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Sassical,
We're getting Abit off topic. But what matters is people booked away as today they want their computerized Doo dad's. The fact that a laptop might be replaced with a item with multiples more memory and processing power than the first $60k workstation I was issued at work... yawn. I'm a fan of low power processors as the 140W beasts do not work for Aviation and it is past time to move on from the POC 74xx line. Since the ARM family, with the higher end GPUs doing the math coprocessor, is past due for aviation, but we digress...

Industrial espionage is more intense than ever. The security processing requirements are getting insane for computing. I need onboard storage as I couldn't talk at work without invoking ITAR. So some solutions must be thought through a bit more. Look at the ransomware attack against Maersk that just happened. That will happen more often unfortunately.

People need to work during a flight. Whatever enables that is great. I've abandoned more technology than I care to think about. I'll abandon a work laptop when I can. My cellphone or Chromebook meet 90% of my home computer.needs and what they cannot do, I want a workstation with multiple monitors; so for me I'm past a personal laptop. Except.. light computing needs to get better disconnected on aircraft...

dtw2hyd wrote:
Assuming this is related to the existence of pre-clearance facility, it was a well thought strategic investment, paid off very well.

Ironic, not what I thought would happen. Not a driver I thought of when AUH applied... It will drive premium business traffic to them from those who have less optimal routing or no business computing option.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts growth.

Lightsaber

Cubsrule

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:29 pm

lightsaber wrote:
People need to work during a flight. Whatever enables that is great. I've abandoned more technology than I care to think about. I'll abandon a work laptop when I can. My cellphone or Chromebook meet 90% of my home computer.needs and what they cannot do, I want a workstation with multiple monitors; so for me I'm past a personal laptop. Except.. light computing needs to get better disconnected on aircraft...

For me, the issue is mostly that internet (Wifi and data) are not yet universal or ubiquitous enough, and I think that is true of most of us who travel a lot for work; heavy travelers tend not to go from connected office to connected office to connected office because much of that sort of travel has migrated to WebEx and the like. Through a combination of practice and in-flight Wifi, I have gotten to the point where I could go laptop-less on most flights. The bigger issue for me is that some of the places to which I travel are not that connected or that I cannot count on them being sufficiently connected.

dtw2hyd

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:41 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Ironic, not what I thought would happen. Not a driver I thought of when AUH applied... It will drive premium business traffic to them from those who have less optimal routing or no business computing option.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts growth.

Lightsaber

American premium business travellers with Global Entry didn't like AUH pre-clearance at all when it was launched. With very few kiosks at AUH process was slow. It would be interesting to know the current status.

STC spoke against pre-clearance and it is near impossible to implement at DXB.
AFAIK, DOH is in the process.
DEL/BOM asked for it but Obama administration didn't grant, I am sure it will be fast tracked. Also, India just became eligible for Global Entry.

This will be a moot point if DXB and/or DOH lift the ban in few days.

airtechy

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:04 am

I can see how "cloud" processing and storage would be fine for Microsoft Office type programs. I don't think it will ever work for graphic intensive engineering programs that require fast processors. Some of these programs take a long time to install and tweek to the user requirements, need a local hardware key to run, etc. If I had to use a substitute laptop at travel locations, it would add several days...at least...to trip times.

Proprietary programs and data add to the problems.

scbriml

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:37 am

airtechy wrote:
I can see how "cloud" processing and storage would be fine for Microsoft Office type programs. I don't think it will ever work for graphic intensive engineering programs that require fast processors. Some of these programs take a long time to install and tweek to the user requirements, need a local hardware key to run, etc. If I had to use a substitute laptop at travel locations, it would add several days...at least...to trip times.

The fact is, many large global corporations will not allow their proprietary data to be stored outside the company. Which is another barrier to the "just use the cloud" philosophy.

OA940

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 am

Cue F1 champagne music

mjoelnir

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:16 pm

scbriml wrote:
airtechy wrote:

The fact is, many large global corporations will not allow their proprietary data to be stored outside the company. Which is another barrier to the "just use the cloud" philosophy.

You can move around with your Data on an encrypted storage. SSD drive, or memory stick or something similar. You can set up systems were removal of that encrypted storage will remove the traces of that storage, for example all programs you run are situated on that removable storage.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:30 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

You can move around with your Data on an encrypted storage. SSD drive, or memory stick or something similar. You can set up systems were removal of that encrypted storage will remove the traces of that storage, for example all programs you run are situated on that removable storage.

I have a device like that and it works great. It also contains the exact amount of memory I need, the processor I need, a keyboard and a screen. I call it a laptop.

All jokes aside, the day when we don't need laptops may well come, but it's still quite a way from now and the biggest hurdle is not size.

ryu2

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:00 pm

What was strange about the original ban for AUH was flights from preclearance airports deplane airside at the US destination. Meaning one can board a connecting domestic flight without going through TSA screening.

It would be strange to have DHS trust AUH security to allow preclearance and yet distrust them enough to ban electronics.

Cubsrule

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:12 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
scbriml wrote:
airtechy wrote:

VPNs are another tool. They may not have adequate security for all uses, but they get most of us 90 percent (or more) of the way there.

timpdx

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Its more than laptops, for me, no way was I going to put expensive camera gear in the hold. And I have a kindle as I would like to read some on my 16:45 hour AUH-LAX sector.

Preclearance has a new, larger setup at AUH than when they first implemented it. Its great. And I'm glad EY solved the issue.

TK787

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:17 pm

Reports from the Turkish Aviation sites claim that Electronics Ban out of Istanbul/Turkey will be lifted on July 5th after TSA visits there tomorrow.

jetwet1

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:44 pm

I have 13 round trips booked in business over the next 6 months, LAX-LHR , some by myself, some with co-workers, there is zero chance of me taking these flights if this ban stays in place, I wonder how long it will be until this starts to bite into the bottom line of the US 3 ?

Draken21fx

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 pm

sassiciai wrote:

Maybe true today. I foresee in the not too distant future when the entire notion of computer infrastructure will change, mostly because of this threat. But actually, is it a good idea that each day, hundreds of thousands of PCs/laptops/... travel across the Globe, with the perceived or actual threat that they pose

Already with cloud computing, even just Goggle Drive, you can complete some work in one place, then fly somewhere else, login, and continue where you were with your documents. More customized applications pose a higher level of challenge. But the basic notion that we all have to carry our own processor with its own memory, case, battery, etc are long gone. I predict that there will be a business-lead change to having an SD-card sized private memory that slides into an airline provided in-seat PC that will offer the most common business tools for free. And not 25 years from now! This will largely allow us all to at least travel without needing to have our PC to hand

The most important and largest after the PCs is now the smart phone? So let's get a solution where we can bring what we need on a chip, without bringing all the techno stuff (batteries etc) that excite the security guys! Quite recently, I have had guests from the USA who arrive with Mobile and GPS, only to discover that none of it works in Europe!

Might be a lot nicer than now - no heavy computer equipment, no bulky phone, no battery recharger(s). You bring the small bits of intelligence, and slot them into the local infrastructure that is available (for free, for hire, supplied by your company, .....)

With the risk of been offtopic allow me to disagree. A lot of tech companies have strict security protocols and a lot of execs do carry information on their laptop/phone that is not allowed to be stored in the cloud by their security teams. It is not uncommon that computers/hard drives require even biometric authentication to be unlocked.

My personal opinion is due to the realisation of the dangers hidden behind a more connected world local heavy encryption will become the norm for a lot of sensitive information for lots of companies. Google Drive, OneDrive and the rest of the cloud solutions are a big no for a lot of them.

All business laptops today are bitlocker (at least) encrypted and I guess the old ones among us remember how it used to be 10 years ago :)

MIflyer12

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:48 am

The thread title doesn't capture the reality. Etihad didn't lift a ban - the U.S. Department of Homeland Security did.

ElliottM

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:09 am

Draken21fx wrote:
sassiciai wrote:

With the risk of been offtopic allow me to disagree. A lot of tech companies have strict security protocols and a lot of execs do carry information on their laptop/phone that is not allowed to be stored in the cloud by their security teams. It is not uncommon that computers/hard drives require even biometric authentication to be unlocked.

My personal opinion is due to the realisation of the dangers hidden behind a more connected world local heavy encryption will become the norm for a lot of sensitive information for lots of companies. Google Drive, OneDrive and the rest of the cloud solutions are a big no for a lot of them.

All business laptops today are bitlocker (at least) encrypted and I guess the old ones among us remember how it used to be 10 years ago :)

My employer doesn't allow company data to be stored in the cloud either. Google Drive, OneDrive etc. - not a chance. They have offsite backups at multiple locations of the company, so there is redundancy, but no cloud storage. Even their own servers are not outward facing for the most part. And whatever is available remotely, cannot be accessed from a non-company computer such as a hypothetical one built into an airplane seat. Basically if we cannot access what we need with our company laptops then we cannot access it at all. This scenario described above by sassiciai sounds nice but it's very farfetched, not from a technology perspective but from an information security one.

SomebodyInTLS

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:11 pm

What no-one's mentioned so far is something I encounter all the time - namely that not only will your own company not allow any kind of cloud or other insecure connection... but wherever you're going to *ALSO* doesn't allow any kind of connection to said services. USB keys can also be banned - so literally the only option is to bring my own device; and even that may need to be vetted as secure.

sadiqutp

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:05 pm

There are news from SV as well.. In a memo, it mentioned that the ban will be lifted 19 Jul at the latest and that they working on the formalities to address the new security guidelines

Link in Arabic
https://twitter.com/AviationWG/status/8 ... 5115436032

ME720

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Wonderful! They must have paid Donald serious money during his trip to Saudi. The whole ban seems to have been devised to collect money actually.
No one seems to illustrate the new screening process adopted to justify the suspension of the ban!

Jayafe

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:22 pm

ME720 wrote:
Wonderful! They must have paid Donald serious money during his trip to Saudi. The whole ban seems to have been devised to collect money actually.
No one seems to illustrate the new screening process adopted to justify the suspension of the ban!

Once the deal is sealed and signed, not a ban worth it $1.4B minimum that they had in spares.....

https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archiv ... ia/529257/

LAXintl

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Restrictions lifted at IST effective July 5th.

TK this evening put out a mini-commercial highlighting

https://twitter.com/TurkishAirlines/sta ... 6143161344

Dear Passengers,
Welcome On Board to our US-bound flight. Please fasten your seatbelts and enjoy your own electronic devices.

PerfectGriffin

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:58 am

Also Emirates has said the laptop ban on U.S. flights is lifted "effective immediately."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-a ... 9Q0J8?il=0

So now Qatar Airways is left.

log0008

Emirates: laptop ban on U.S. flights lifted

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:28 am

Good for EK and aviation as a whole:

Emirates says laptop ban on U.S. flights lifted

Emirates [EMIRA.UL], the Middle East's largest airline, said on Wednesday the in-cabin ban on laptops and other large electronic devices on its flights to the United States had been lifted "effective immediately."

"Emirates has been working hard in coordination with various aviation stakeholders and the local authorities to implement heightened security measures and protocols that meet the requirements of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s new security guidelines for all U.S. bound flights," an Emirates spokeswoman said in a statement.

Emirates flies to 12 U.S. cities.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-a ... 9Q0J8?il=0

Dalavia

Re: EMIRATES LAPTOP BAN LIFTED

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:35 am

Great news. I have a flight booked with them to the US next week.

Excellent timing from a personal perspective.

Tkfan

Re: EMIRATES LAPTOP BAN LIFTED

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:39 am

So will we have a seperate Topic for every Airline where the ridiculous ban is lifted??

As far as I know the ban was for the Airport not specifically for an Airline.
Emirates could fly without problems out of MXP and ATH

a320fan

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:42 am

jetwet1 wrote:
I have 13 round trips booked in business over the next 6 months, LAX-LHR , some by myself, some with co-workers, there is zero chance of me taking these flights if this ban stays in place, I wonder how long it will be until this starts to bite into the bottom line of the US 3 ?

Regardless if the ban stays in place or is lifted, it won't affect you on LAX-LHR.

ME720

Re: Etihad, Emirates and Turkish say laptop ban lifted on U.S. flights

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:52 am

Any news about the "copy cat" UK ban?

sadiqutp

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:16 am

dubaiamman243

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:12 am

Emirates bookings to the U.S has increased 5% since the laptop ban has been lifted.

mercure1

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:27 pm

QR statement:

"Qatar Airways is delighted to announce that all electronic items
can once again be carried on board all flights to the United States"

Avionics09

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Morocco to follow suit, with the electronics ban expected to be lifted by 19 July latest.

Royal Air Maroc (RAM) has announced that the cabin ban on laptops and large electronics on flights to the US will be lifted by July 19.

“Negotiations with the U.S. authorities are underway and we expect the ban to end by July 19 at the latest,” a RAM official said Thursday.

http://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2017/07 ... d-july-19/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos