Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Helicopter Theft Attempt At HIO

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:09 am

I guess it could be called a helicopter-jacking, really. Anyway, the would-be thief paid a hefty price (death) for this move at the airport in Hillsboro, Oregon:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/03/us/oregon ... index.html

Article quote:

"Hillsboro Police Lt. Henry Reimann said the armed man climbed a fence at the local airport and approached the helicopter in the hanger owned by Hillsboro Aero Academy around 11:30 a.m. local time. An academy employee was showing his girlfriend the helicopter, which had the engine switched on, Reimann said. Police had initially identified the helicopter's occupants as a pilot and student pilot.
The suspect fired into the air and ordered the two out before climbing in to the helicopter, Reimann said. Three other academy employees then pointed weapons at the suspect, Reimann said."

FlyUSAir

Re: Helicopter Theft Attempt At HIO

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:12 am

Found out the hard way that real life is not GTA.

PEK777

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:16 am

Why was the employee showing his girlfriend? Is this allowed by company policy? Why wasn't he doing his job? UNACCEPTABLE

Virtual737

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:30 am

PEK777 wrote:
Why was the employee showing his girlfriend? Is this allowed by company policy? Why wasn't he doing his job? UNACCEPTABLE

Because we do stuff like this to impress our girlfriends. Bit early to say "UNACCEPTABLE" don't you think? Maybe it is allowed. Nothing to say about the perp?

doug_or

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:11 am

PEK777 wrote:

What a remarkably ignorant post. Log off and take your meds.

TWA772LR

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:16 am

PEK777 wrote:

If/when I get my pilots license, I'd be trying to impress ladies all the time.

T prop

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:02 am

Three other employees at a flight school were armed? Were they expecting the guy? repo man maybe?

seat55a

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:14 am

T prop wrote:
Three other employees at a flight school were armed? Were they expecting the guy? repo man maybe?

Not a surprise to me. Because 'Murica. I am however more impressed that they allowed the police to deal with it.

Is there a prison or some other useful target within range? R22 beta isn't your long range heavy lifter.

RWA380

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:07 am

T prop wrote:

Here you guys can see what our local news said about this, which made top story on the 5pm news.

From ABC's affiliate KATU - http://katu.com/news/local/shots-fired- ... ro-airport

From CBS's affiliate KOIN - http://koin.com/2017/07/03/active-shoot ... -07032017/

From NBC's affiliate KGW - http://www.kgw.com/news/crime/suspect-d ... /453898233

It's pretty common in Oregon for people to have carry permits, it was interesting that in that rather small group there was more than one person.

jetmatt777

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:58 pm

I used to work at Hillsboro Aero Academy in maintenance.

No surprise that someone was showing their girlfriend a helicopter, fairly common as it is a pretty big facility but still has the small company feeling. Also no surprise that several other employees were armed, in fact I can probably tell you who the three were.

Good group of people at that flight school.

IADCA

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:06 pm

doug_or wrote:
PEK777 wrote:

What a remarkably ignorant post. Log off and take your meds.

He says stuff like that a lot. I've always assumed he's a troll, but he might genuinely be the most humorless person on earth. Either way, he's Case A for the utility of an Ignore feature on this site.

SAAFNAV

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:01 pm

PEK777 wrote:

Really? What's wrong with that?

It's a flight school on a smaller airport. Ask your boss if you can bring someone in, and there you go!
It's not Atlanta airport.

With regards to arming - I always carry when I'm flying GA. You never know where you might need to land in an emergency and what could happen. If it's not in a secure area, who cares.
At least they stopped this mad guy.

aviationaware

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:06 pm

T prop wrote:

No. That's because America is America, and a prime example of how guns make a country safer. Had they not had guns, he'd have been able to steal that helicopter (provided he even knew how to work it, which I doubt).

T prop

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:13 pm

aviationaware wrote:
T prop wrote:

No. That's because America is America, and a prime example of how guns make a country safer. Had they not had guns, he'd have been able to steal that helicopter (provided he even knew how to work it, which I doubt).

Relax lol, I'm in America. What I'm getting at is that at the public airports I'm used to, firearms are allowed to be carried on the ramp by LE only. This must be a private airport.

PEK777

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:39 pm

You guys are a bunch of bullies

cschleic

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:16 pm

T prop wrote:
aviationaware wrote:
T prop wrote:

Relax lol, I'm in America. What I'm getting at is that at the public airports I'm used to, firearms are allowed to be carried on the ramp by LE only. This must be a private airport.

No, it's owned by the Port of Portland.

And the flight school staff being armed didn't stop him from getting over the fence and shooting his gun first and possible injuring or killing the two people who were in the helicopter, or someone else, never mind whether he could operate the helicopter or not. I've visited that airport and FBO many times, it's a busy place. My point being...things aren't as simple as the usual sound bites, regardless of how you view the issue.

trnswrld

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:22 pm

PEK777 wrote:
You guys are a bunch of bullies

Well that's what happens when you make rediculous posts.

Let's recap this...an armed criminal illegally enters an air field with intentions of stealing a helicopter and who knows what else. annnnndddd here you are worried about why a pilot was showing a friend the helicopter?!?!? OMG that is unacceptable!!!!!
See where we are come by from?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos