Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AEROFAN

Re: Virgin Atlantic 747 replacement program for Gatwick Ops

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:25 pm

skipness1E wrote:
by738 wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
BA use Gatwick partly to allow LHR travellelrs to spend Avios on leisure flights to keep them loyal, hence the % of paid J vs. redeemed J is important. .

To account for anything significant (in terms of aircraft layout and J class offering, I think that is a myth. Very few high accruing Avios'ers would contemplate a LGW Florida flight. TPA at a push.

Have you seen the demographics on some of the Caribbean flights? Barbados did well enough to have Concorde once a week, some of that leisure market is very well off.
A fair few Avios spenders are young enough to take their kids to Disney as well as collect points out of LHR, I really think you're wrong on this one. Paid premium travel has always been a huge challenge at Gatwick.It's the reason BA and VS have a smaller premium cabin at LGW.

Some years, Concorde flew to Barbados twice per week: Definitely always on Saturdays and I want to say either on Tuesdays or Wednesdays was the other day.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

AEROFAN

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:30 pm

VC10er wrote:
I haven't flown Virgin Atlantic in many years. It looks like the J seat is virtually the same as it was on a 747 10 years ago. Is that seat type/style still popular? I hated the fact the window was behind me, and that I'd have to flip the seat over to make it a bed. I ultimately went back to BA - which was far less cool, but far more comfortable! Those "coffins in a row" would seem so out of date to me today.

I'm curious who do you fly? And please don't tell me BA
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

Richard28

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:02 pm

VC10er wrote:
I haven't flown Virgin Atlantic in many years. It looks like the J seat is virtually the same as it was on a 747 10 years ago. Is that seat type/style still popular? I hated the fact the window was behind me, and that I'd have to flip the seat over to make it a bed. I ultimately went back to BA - which was far less cool, but far more comfortable! Those "coffins in a row" would seem so out of date to me today.

Both the VS and BA J seat designs are now very dated and have been surpassed by much of the competition, especially the ME3 and Asia but also North American competition too.

It's a shame that VS have not innovated in this area - they did try to change the product slightly (although mainly to increase seat count) on the A333 fleet, but got it wrong and went back to the earlier design on the 787-9 fleet (and are now converting the A333's back too).

So yes, the VS J seat is much the same as it was when Upper Class Suite was first launched.

With VS sitting on its hands, BA has also been able to do the same (BA J seat is possibly more dated - i.e. with no all aisle access and a more dense layout)

waiting for the first one to blink perhaps - maybe VS will have something updated for the A350 fleet?

Brickell305

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:43 pm

8herveg wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Have you seen the demographics on some of the Caribbean flights? Barbados did well enough to have Concorde once a week, some of that leisure market is very well off.
A fair few Avios spenders are young enough to take their kids to Disney as well as collect points out of LHR, I really think you're wrong on this one. Paid premium travel has always been a huge challenge at Gatwick.It's the reason BA and VS have a smaller premium cabin at LGW.

Most passengers from LGW are certainly on a budget, but two Caribbean destinations have BA's First class: Barbados and St Lucia. Barbados has had First for decades, and St Lucia got First some years ago (can't remember the launch date). As the flights from St Lucia continue onto Port of Spain (five times a week) or Grenada (twice a week), then both these latter destinations just happen to get First as well but are not premium destinations.

As you can see from the tables below, the four cabin aircraft have far fewer seats than the three cabin aircraft, so BA won't deploy First unless the seats at the pointy end of the plane can be filled. All flights are operated by 777-200ERs.

Four cabin layout
14 First
48 Club World
40 World Traveller Plus
124 Traveller Plus
226 Total

Three cabin layout
40 Club World
24 World Traveller Plus
216 Traveller Plus
280 Total

I'm surprised Antigua doesn't get First Class as well - didn't it used to at one point as well?

How many First Class B777's are there at LGW, compared to three class?

Isn't Port of Spain business traffic (more specifically, oil traffic) part of the reason that the UVF flights are more premium heavy?

gunnerman

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:21 pm

POS traffic is quite light, the majority of the passengers empty out of all cabins when the flights from LGW land at UVF.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos