Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

thomacf
Topic Author

Who Loves CO Express ERJ's?

Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:31 am

Over the weekend I flew back from MDW to CMH and had the chance to fly on CO Expresses ERJ's. I had the chance to fly on two since I had a connection in CLE. I flew on one last year from CLE to MEM also and it was great. I have to say that CO ERJ's are fantastic. Nice leather seats and I had the single seat so I had to benefit of the ailse and window. They feel like a private jet, they're quiet but have great engine sound during takeoff and landing. I love feeling of power on them during takeoff. All three times I have been on them the planes were so clean and the rides were so smooth. I would like to know others feelings and experiences on them. My father flies them alot from CLE to ROC and has had nothing but great things to say about them. I really think that CO Express made a great decision buying them and going to an all ERJ fleet. I also love the new D concourse at CLE that was created for them. I really recommend flying CO Express now and connecting at CLE if you have the chance.

IAHERJ

RE: Who Loves CO Express ERJ's?

Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:36 am

We should put you on the payroll! Our marketing department couldn't of said it better. In all seriousness though, I'm glad you enjoyed your flights. Did you fly on the 145 or 135, or both? Stop up front next time on your way out. The guys love showing people the cockpit while parked at the gate. Take care.
IAHERJ
Actually flown: EMB-120 EMB-145 B717 B737 B757 B767

calpilot

Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:15 am

The way things are going ERJ's may be the only thing CO flys in a few years?

IAHERJ, have you seen some erj's with the word "express" not on the airplane?

JayDavis

Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:19 am

I've only flown it once, round-trip, from Dallas Love to Intercontinental. It was okay, I sat in seat 1A going down, that was cool, had a two-seat row to myself on the return trip. It still seems a little bit more crowded than the CRJ, to me. I'm 6'2" tall and the cabin just seemed a little smaller than the CRJ, but I could be wrong. Great flight though and very quiet. We flew in the clouds the entire way down from DAL to IAH. What is the altitude of these planes, IAHERJ? I thought for sure we'd finally get out of the clouds...........

CO and CO Express are both great airlines in my book! I work for Korean Air and fly ya'll a lot between Dallas and Houston.

Cleco

Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:44 am

Hey,

I flew the 145 from Cleveland to Portland, ME. And the 135 on the return trip. I love that plane. And Continental is a great airline.

Jake
EMBRY-RIDDLE BABY

I LOVE EWR

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:17 pm

I LOVE the ERJS I am 6 foot 5 and seat 1A is Awesome. Plenty of Room ETC. Also they have great service. On a flight from EWR-CVG I got a sandwich, chips, peanuts, and fruit. Not once but twice. They did have extra but still that was nice. I hope to start my airline career one day in them.

FlyPNS1

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:22 pm

They're nice planes but not as nice as the 737's that they are replacing. I used to fly CO out of PNS, but starting in March we'll be down to just one mainline and three RJ's. So, most of my business will go to DL and Airtran.

IMissPiedmont

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:25 pm

Embraer sure loves them. I've never ridden in one though. I always choose a high wing A/C when given a choice.

Bring on the Do.328-300 or DHC-8 for me.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

brains

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:45 pm

Nothing but good words from me. I have flown several EWR-SAV segments in the 145's and have had excellent experiences on each of them.
Brains

IAHERJ

Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:59 am

CALPilot,
No I haven't seen any ERJ's without Express on the exterior. However several of the new deliveries have had a bit of an interior change where Express is left off and the cabin looks more like a 737 in terms of wall color etc.

Jaydavis,
The leg from DAL to IAH is so short that you probably didn't climb above 20,000 feet which will keep you in a cloud layer on most winter afternoons with any type of weather system. The ERJ's can cruise at 37,000 feet easily and we are filed at that altitude on most of our longer Eastbound flights.

FlyPNS1,
I'm sorry you feel that way about the aircraft. Your business will be missed I'll assure you as we relish the business passanger. Don't go too far as CAL has just upgraded 737 service to Lafeyette LA which is a smaller market that PNS. I'd expect to see PNS return to a mostly mainline city this summer. In the meantime, demand a bulkhead or the exit row towards the rear as you know how much more comfortable these rows are for tall people. Hate to see an upset customer.

RoyalDutch

Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:10 am

I got to fly EWR-PIT-EWR on them...they are incredible! I love the small stuff, and this is one of the best...I'd rather fly on it than any other jet....nice windows, decent legroom, comfortable seats, and I love that single seat row! Great looking exterior, too...very graceful. My only gripe is that CO needs to improve the layout of their EWR Express terminal..the place is a nightmare. As far as the plane is concerned, though...AWESOME!  Big thumbs up

I LOVE EWR

Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:47 am

Some one correct me if I am wrong, but RoyalDutch I have good news for you. CO jut opened up an extension at EWR so the CO Jets are using the real jetways. Like I said someone correct me if I am wrong

TWFirst

Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:01 am

I've flown the 145 several times (IAH-MCI, MCI-CLE, CLE-MCI, CLE-MSP, etc.) Seat 1A is the best seat on the plane, and I also agree they're awesome planes, but quite frankly, I'd still rather be on a 737.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

IAHERJ

Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:28 am

RoyalDutch,

Your prayers have been answered. There is now no Express operation at EWR. All ERJ's have been integrated completely with Continental's aircraft on Terminal C as well as the new terminal due to the Global Gateway project. You will never board via stairs or a bus ride to the aircraft. I love EWR was correct.

HAJ_OW

Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:30 am

I wonder what CO does about the noise at the ERJs. I have flown with ERJ 145s from Crossair several times an it always was a noisy experiance. Up front you hear the airflow extremely loud and in the rear the engines produce a lot of noise.
And they are very tight and all the landings were quiete firm. The seem to touch down quiete fast and they have a stiff gear. And last but not least, they are very tight compared to Avros or Saab 2000 which have the same size.
The only things I like about them are the large windows with good visibility and the 3 abreast seating.
If I have the choice I alwyas would prefer the Saabs, Do328s or Avros.

Oliver  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

STT757

Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:31 am

With the opening of the new C-3 concourse at EWR COEX no longer uses buses from that 777 hold room at Terminal C, COEX flights are not concentrated in one area anymore and are now spread out througout the terminal. They use regular gates, and even ATR's pull up to the gates (although stairs are required)..

You can see a few ERJs parked at various Terminal C gate in this photo.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris weldy

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Ryefly

Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:20 am

It's good to hear that they the ERJ's are now parking at terminal C at EWR. The old set up was a mess. My overall experience was good though on the ERJ. Many didn't feel the same way because our flight was switched from a 737-300 over to a ERJ-145. I had to laugh when I heard one person board and was walking down the isle saying... "man these 737's just keep getting smaller." I guess he missed the announcement in the terminal with the rest of us.

It was easy to see that our plane was brand new. The only negative was that once we got up to cruising altitude, the cabin became freezing cold. Many had blankets and jackets on for the last half of the flight. I broke down and put on my leather jacket also for the last half hour. Something must have been wrong with the heat because it couldn't have been over 40 degrees in there. Even the flight attendants put on jackets, but the never did say if there was anything wrong or not, just "yeah I know it's freezing in here isn't it? Would you like a blanket?" to the lady in front of me.

Other than that, everything was excellent. It was funny when we arrived at our spot at EWR because I could see the guy directing the plane in. We obviously were on the wrong line because he was laughing and shaking his head pointing down at the correct line. We stopped and the guy just threw up his hands as if "never mind, just stay there." When I got out, I saw that we had parked at a 45 degree angle compared with all the other jets. The tires were on a line, but just not the right one.

Hoffa

Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:25 am

Where and when RJ's are replacing turboprop aircraft, passengers are happier to see them. But when mainline aircraft are taken off a route to provide greater frequencies with smaller regional jet aircraft, passengers are quite understandably miffed.

A CRJ/ERJ on any flight longer than 45 minutes ought to be a federal crime.

charlieduke

Question For Iaherj

Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:35 am

IAHERJ-

What is the status of the CO order for ERJ-145XR's? Last I heard, they were on track for delivery sometime this summer. Are they still planning to use them to open up new city-pairs, or will they use them to "supplement" mainline flying?

IAHERJ

RE: Question For Iaherj

Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:23 am

Charlieduke,

The XR's are due to be on property in August and the first few airplanes will be dedicated to the EWR hub with IAH soon to follow. Initially, they will open up new markets. For example service from Tulsa, OK to EWR. I'm hearing rumors that the aircraft might be certified to fly over water for a more extended period of time than our current LR's due to the proven reliability of the Rolls Royce AE3007's and some modifications being put on the XR. This will open up some Mexican markets to CLE non-stop as well as allow IAH flights to go deeper into Central America and suppliment mainline markets as well as add new service to markets that warrant the demand.
One of the biggest advantages the XR will give Continental will be the ability to fly from IAH to Northeast markets bypassing EWR. For example IAH to Buffalo NY as well as Burlington VT are good possibilities in which a business traveler might want to travel through IAH and cut out the IAH-EWR leg before making another connection. Albany NY, currently a Continental Connction hub and served from all bases by ERJ's by Express might get some long haul service to IAH with a XR thus beefing up NY's capital city mini-hub.
Needless to say, much of what I am writing is speculation on my part. I do know that the deliveries are expected by August. The rest we will know this Summer.
IAHERJ

STT757

Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:43 am

Hey IAHERJ I've got a couple possibilities from EWR with the new XR for you, maybe you can give your opinions for me.

EWR-Key West (Eastern and Us Air used to fly 727s and F-28s in there), popular resort town.

EWR-Daytona beach

EWR-Melbourne (FL of course)

EWR-Wichita

EWR-Omaha

EWR-Des Moines

EWR- Dallas Love Field

And since you mentioned Tulsa how about Oklahoma City.

And finally how about EWR-Aspen as a seasonal ski flight, does the XR have the legs for this one?..

Any of these have potential, particulary DAB, Melbourne and Key West.

IAHERJ

Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:47 am

I think you are going to surprise yourself STT757!!!

Many of the city pairs you mentioned will, I believe come to life in 2003. As for Aspen, I don't know if it has the legs, nor the ability to get out of Aspen with a load given the terrain limitations imposed at that airport. If it could, I doube it would be able to do it with enough passangers to make money on.

EWR KeyWest has been floating around a lot down here in Houston.

N766UA

Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:59 am

I've flown ERJs all over the place- CLE-YYZ, CLE-PWM, CLE-YUL, YUL-EWR, CLE-DCA, etc. It's a great little plane and I like it alot but for me it's getting kind of old. Just about no matter where you go now from CLE you're flying an RJ. It gets boring. Overall though quiet, comfortable for the most part, and all around a neat little jetliner. Gotta love the engines spooling up on takeoff!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

STT757

Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:41 am

Thanks IAHERJ, I have a feeling the ERJ-XR is going to be great for EWR. Im looking foward to it's arrival.

FlyPNS1

Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:49 pm

IAHERJ,

I have nothing personal against the ERJ. It's a good plane but I still prefer mainline planes when given the opportunity.

Glad LFT is getting an upgrade. However, that's largely because CO is the dominant carrier in LFT and American Eagle is leaving giving CO even more of the market.

At PNS, CO is losing marketshare...largely because of Airtran and DL. Airtran has better fares and DL offers a better network. I don't expect that CO will upgrade us back to 737's. In fact, I expect that eventually CO will downgrade PNS to all RJ's.

STT757

Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:43 pm

How about EWR-PNS with ERJ-XRs.

SophieMaltese

Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:13 pm

I flew on one a few months ago and loved it. The bathroom was nice and roomy too.

Omegous

Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:16 pm

I flew a CO Express ERJ-145 from IAH - MKE and back...2 hour flight.

I was actually very comfortable, but that could be because the flight was pretty empty and I had plenty of room. Also, in comparison to the 757 we flew from LAS to IAH on, the ERJ was like riding first class with all the room I had  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

RoyalDutch

Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:46 pm

I LOVE EWR and IAHERJ - Great to hear that guys! I can actually look foreward to my next trip through EWR now!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

FATFlyer

Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:58 pm

IAHERJ,

With the new craft going to EWR first, what is the timeline for the introduction at IAH? Q1 2003? or further out. Of course, I'm partial to the rumored IAH-FAT service starting as soon as possible.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

IAHERJ

Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:44 am

I'm going to sound really dumb here but I don't know what FAT is. I have no clue when they will be flying from IAH but I imagine not too long after they hit EWR. Almost all of our 2003 deliveries will be -XR's. The delivery schedule for 2002 calls for Continental Express to recieve 52 new ERJ's. I think the last 9 or 10 will be XR's. 2003 has more deliveries than 2002 if the order book remains untouched. That means we'll have to bring all our furloughees back and start hiring again.

Damn, I wish I knew where FAT was located. Any help??

764ER

Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:04 am

I don't really like the ERJ's. I find them cramped - especially on a 2 hour flight like EWR-MKE. They're fine for shorter flights like EWR-PIT, but they just don't do it for me. The only good part IMHO is being out on the tarmac when they bus you out to the plane.

FAT - Fresno Yosemite International Airport

FATFlyer

Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:27 am

764er is correct, FAT=Fresno Yosemite International (formerly Fresno Air Terminal).

FAT is located in the largest California MSA not served by CO/COExpress. (I know, BUR also lacks service but LAX is nearby). I haven't checked but Fresno is probably also one of the largest domestic metro areas not served. I know many locals would love to have service to IAH, as well as a connecting hub for service to Texas and the southeast, and also Mexico.

BFL (Bakersfield) is also highly rumored to get service with an early delivery aircraft due to the oil fields in its surrounding areas.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

ExpressJet_ERJ

Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:28 am

ERJs are great airplanes! They are quiet and very combfy. Even thoe there are many RJs out of CLE, I still enjoy them very much. I've only flown on one once, and i wanna fly on another one.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy My uncle was on flight back to CLE and something went wrong w/the engine. (The pilots shut it down or something..Not exactly sure) and they had to make an emergency landing.
ETOPS...Engines Turn Or People Swim

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos