dz09
Topic Author

Emirates America ? is that possible?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:46 am

what would prevent Emirates from joining an American entity and forming Emirates America a la Virgin America?

is that doable and would it make business sense for Emirates?

jnev3289

Re: Emirates America ? is that possible?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:52 am

The owner of the entity would have to be American. That is the difference

TWA772LR

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:55 am

I'm reposting this here from the duplicate thread:

They would need a tremendous amount of capital up front to even make a meaningfull presence in the US domestic market, and the market has spoken that (U)LCC-type service is the way to go. It's a bloodbath in the largest cities which all have at least 1 US3 hub AND WN. The big picture shows that VX is going away because not enough people pay for the fancy-ness.

An interesting idea however would be for EK to for a JV with B6 or even buy a stake in them, which I believe could help them become a larger player in North America.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

MIflyer12

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:55 am

Research the history - particularly the U.S. ownership and management control requirements - of the long launch of Virgin America. It wasn't easy. Equity stakes of the original owners were repeatedly decreased as debt was converted to equity. It wasn't until fuel prices fell that Virgin America came into steady profitability.

QueenoftheSkies

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:57 am

This would be fabulous! Even that name sounds catchy.

flyby519

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:01 am

TWA772LR wrote:

They would need a tremendous amount of capital up front to even make a meaningfull presence in the US domestic market, and the market has spoken that (U)LCC-type service is the way to go. It's a bloodbath in the largest cities which all have at least 1 US3 hub AND WN. The big picture shows that VX is going away because not enough people pay for the fancy-ness.

An interesting idea however would be for EK to for a JV with B6 or even buy a stake in them, which I believe could help them become a larger player in North America.

Would it be possible for EK and B6 to have a trans-Atlantic JV when B6 starts Europe service? The JV would theoretically give EK the same EU access that B6 would have, right?

TWA772LR

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:06 am

flyby519 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Would it be possible for EK and B6 to have a trans-Atlantic JV when B6 starts Europe service? The JV would theoretically give EK the same EU access that B6 would have, right?

I don't see why not, but the real money would be in the US domestic market with the strong dollar. It would also give EK exposure in Mexico, Colombia, and Peru; while possibly allowing B6 a chance to start Canada on EKs behalf.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

[email protected]

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:10 am

It won't happen but it'd be beyond exciting for them to threaten it just to annoy the US3. But they won't of course.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

jetblueguy22

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:22 am

flyby519 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I can see the ALPA picket lines already
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

OA940

Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:07 am

The US3 don't have enough money to fuel all the propaganda if that happened, so we don't wanna risk losing the highlight of the show.
A350/CSeries = bae

RichardWelling

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Would it be possible or legal for a foreign company to setup shop using a delware registered holding company?

usxguy

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:35 pm

no, because the DOT still asks for citizemship and voting rights breakdown. VX had to go thru a BUNCH of hoops with SRB being involved, and then *not*.
xx

dtw2hyd

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Sure you can have enough stake to name it Emirates America.

#1 CEO has to be American
#2 Effective control has to be within the country
#3 Should follow US labor laws
#4 Should follow FAA rules
#5 Should follow SEC rules
#6 CEO is solely responsible for financial reports (This may be gone with Trump reverting Dodd-Frank)

Just 6 of 100s of reasons, it will be a namesake. It will be a down to earth commercial airline without any sorcery or creative accounting.

Who wants to start?

drgmobile

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:22 pm

As has been stated elsewhere above, Virgin America is the case study and I think the consensus it that it was not really a great success. I think you also may be overestimating the strength of the Emirates brand in the United States. The U.S. is a very domestic driven airline market. The vast majority of travelers, including business travelers probably have only a peripheral awareness of the Emirates brand, at most. This may be a bit different in smaller markets with Emirates service, but I wouldn't over estimate it.

Varsity1

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Delta U.A.E is that possible?

Could Delta get funding from the UAE (cheap debt) to open a subsidiary at DXB, dumping unprofitable seats on the market? Is this possible?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

lancelot07

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

Could Delta get funding from the UAE (cheap debt) to open a subsidiary at DXB, dumping unprofitable seats on the market? Is this possible?

Might be possible, but -as you say- unprofitable.
And loans are cheap nowadays almost everywhere. There is no business case.

flyingturtle

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:21 pm

In Europe, we have Etihad Regional, which is operated by the Swiss-based Darwin Airlines, with a Swiss headquarter, and with Swiss management. They codeshare with Etihad, Air Berlin and Alitalia.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

PlanesNTrains

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:30 pm

The bigger issue is, short of an acquisition, where is said airline going to get gates/slots/etc? That's really the play domestically - obtaining and holding these assets. Barrier to entry is huge.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

DfwAussie

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Why would any person want EK America? While their service levels are generally better than US carriers, they aren't even close to the Southeast Asia carriers. Let us know when seats go on sale for LBB-DFW on a 380.

SFOtoORD

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:06 pm

DfwAussie wrote:
Why would any person want EK America? While their service levels are generally better than US carriers, they aren't even close to the Southeast Asia carriers. Let us know when seats go on sale for LBB-DFW on a 380.

Haha. Great point. I think the other issue is that the Virgin brand will play much better with US consumers than Emirates would. I know Emirates does relatively well on their US intl service, but not likely to play well for Ma and Pa Kettle on US domestic service.

VS11

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:07 pm

It is certainly possible. The UAE-based Emirates does not even need to own anything in a US-based carrier to license its name/trademark to that carrier. Right now though, it is not a good time to start a new airline in the US. For each type of a carrier, there are several players. Oil is cheap and interest rates are still low so the status quo can go on for a while.

[email protected]

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

Same could be said more sincerely of the state-owned and state-subsidised Chinese big three, who typically have far lower fares than the MEB3. But of course it won't be because the US3 want to work with them.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Arion640

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:51 pm

What about easyjet japan? Qantas russia?

Silly thread, if the rules regarding airline ownership didn't exist they still wouldn't do it, they can get a US carrier to feed the international flights, ie B6, they are an international carrier channelling traffic through a hub, thats the Business model, not US domestic flying. Pointless trying as they'd never compete with the US3 + Southwest, Spirit, Alaska/Virgin America etc.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

burnsie28

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Let them do it, and then when their service is found not to be any different or worse on the domestic market, nuff said. Everyone thinks they have this amazing service and it could happen anywhere. Good marketing, but reality will be different when they can't hire supermodels for 5 year contracts etc. Labor laws here will kill them alone.

B737900ER

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:53 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
DfwAussie wrote:

Haha. Great point. I think the other issue is that the Virgin brand will play much better with US consumers than Emirates would. I know Emirates does relatively well on their US intl service, but not likely to play well for Ma and Pa Kettle on US domestic service.

As long as the price is 10 dollars cheaper Ma and Pa Kettle won't care what name is on side of the airplane.

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:49 am

Even if it were possible, they still wouldn't do it. The US is just not an attractive country for foreign companies to start a business. The US laws are very protective when it comes to ownership and control, so effectively they can't bring in their money to fund it and once funded they can't control it. There are hundreds of countries that are more attractive than the USA, so if they did they'd first do it there.

intotheair

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:40 am

Cranky Flier's piece on this was really well-thought out:

Foreign Airlines Should Be Able to Fly Within the US and Lose Money if They Want
http://crankyflier.com/2017/06/01/forei ... they-want/
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

zeke

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:07 am

TWA772LR wrote:

FYI the yields in Asia and the Middle East are about 5 times lower than domestically in the US. EK are used to operating in much lower yield environments, that is how they make money, they move massive number of people with lower yield.

The easiest way forward if they wanted to do this is to have an equity partnership with an existing airline.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

zeke

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:12 am

dtw2hyd wrote:

I don't understand why the CEO would have to be American. The CEO is a position of strategy not Day to day control. If I am not mistaken the SEC does not prevent a non American to be CEO within the US.

As for everything else all US laws have to be followed, it is not should, it is must.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

dtw2hyd

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:42 am

zeke wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

I don't understand why the CEO would have to be American. The CEO is a position of strategy not Day to day control. If I am not mistaken the SEC does not prevent a non American to be CEO within the US.

As for everything else all US laws have to be followed, it is not should, it is must.

Because airline CEOs are privy to some level of national security details. It is not India where every airline CEO is a foreigner, except one.

zeke

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:53 am

I would be interested to read about that law. Would you know where I could look it up ?

cledaybuck

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:11 pm

zeke wrote:
I would be interested to read about that law. Would you know where I could look it up ?
I believe it comes from the definition of citizen under 49 U.S.C. 40102.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/40102
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

res77W

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:56 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

Delta U.A.E. or Deltarabia...interesting thought. Though it wouldn't make business sense, Delta could be petty and start it to keep the US3 vs ME3 war going. Just my :twocents:

-Rowen

flyingcat

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:16 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

As Fred Reid found out the DOT felt he was not American enough.

739er

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Would Arab oil money fund this proposed airline venture too?

EWRandMDW

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Let's all form America's Emirates and slap American flags on all the aircraft and airline property. Also, let's change all the advertising at sports stadiums and patches on soccer (if you're America's Emirates you can't call it football!) uniforms and merchandising paraphenalia.And finally, just for sh!ts and giggles, why not change UEA to USE? Sure, it'll pi$$ off a few countries, but all those dollars and dinars and rials and whatever will flow into Washington's coffers and anything that hasn't been outright appropriated by our elected representatives can go to pay down the national debt. And the oil! The thought gives me goosebumps. How about it?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos