Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
 
CanesFan
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:10 pm

Maybe ATL?
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 2369
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:17 pm

I'm going with BAL.
 
ImperialEagle
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Not ATL. MDW? I'm thinking these photos are later than 1960. Perhaps 1961 and on. On the other hand I see what appears to be the #4 engine of a -377 in the edge on one photo (NW?). Also spot #4 of a -188 in a corner of another photo. NW traded their -377's on the original batch of -188's, however, the LEAP Program intervened.
Interesting photos.
Last edited by ImperialEagle on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
CanesFan
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:35 pm

Did DC-8's ever go into MDW?
 
timz
Topic Author
Posts: 6589
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:43 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:43 pm

What's the objection to 1960? Probably he's looking at a Kodak date on the slide?

Presumably United didn't fly DC-8s to ATL or MDW back then, but looking WSW at Baltimore looks good. Did that central pier have a viewing area on top?

No Electras or B377s in the three pics above-- which pics are you looking at?
 
highflier92660
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:16 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:46 pm

I see the UAL Boeing 720, DC-8-10, DC-6B and the EAL DC-7B but not the Stratocruiser or the Electra. I'm also going with an early 60's Baltimore Friendship airport.
 
ImperialEagle
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:59 pm

CanesFan wrote:
Did DC-8's ever go into MDW?



Good point. I don't think they did.
Could it be YIP?

UA came to ATL via the merger with Capital. They did ops -720's through ATL by 1961,however, I don't ever remember seeing their -8's. Also do not recognize the buildings as old ATL. In any event, it would have been quite the sight to see a UA -6,-8 and a -720 on the ground at the same time in old ATL! ESPECIALLY an -8!
 
ImperialEagle
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:04 am

timz wrote:
What's the objection to 1960? Probably he's looking at a Kodak date on the slide?

Presumably United didn't fly DC-8s to ATL or MDW back then, but looking WSW at Baltimore looks good. Did that central pier have a viewing area on top?

No Electras or B377s in the three pics above-- which pics are you looking at?


In the first link-----Look at the photo of the group of people passing in between camera and the UA -7. The hangers are in the background. Just to the right of the tail on the UA-7 you can see the rear of #4 on a -377.

In the second link------- look at the photo of the -8 showing a close-up from the rear of the #4 engine. In the distance from left to right you will see the #4 of a-188, a parked -8 and a -7 taxing out.

Duuuuuuuuh- just saw where caption reads MDW on the photo with the -377 engine!

Interesting mix of photos once one starts digging through them.
Last edited by ImperialEagle on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5467
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:14 am

How about Cleveland ?
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 519
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:21 am

I'm 99 percent sure it is not MDW. MDW was already boxed in by development by the 60s and there looks to be a lot of green surrounding that airport. Also a bit hilly to be the Chicago area (ORD or MDW).

I'm going with BWI as well. Looks like the view down twy F towards rwy 10.
 
timz
Topic Author
Posts: 6589
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:43 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:21 am

ImperialEagle wrote:
In the first link-----Look at the photo of ...

Maybe Electras or B377s in some other pics at for-all-we-know other airports-- but not in the three pics linked above.

Too woodsy for CLE, isn't it? And the sun looks wrong for YIP?
 
ImperialEagle
Posts: 2372
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:24 am

timz wrote:
ImperialEagle wrote:
In the first link-----Look at the photo of ...

Maybe Electras or B377s in some other pics at for-all-we-know other airports-- but not in the three pics linked above.


Yes, you are right. I strayed into the other photos and didn't notice what the captions were saying. Gaga over all the old birds.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2252
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:56 am

It's the old Friendship Airport (now BWI) viewing deck, looking to the SE. I lived in Baltimore then, and spent a good bit of time on that deck.
 
xdlx
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:29 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:33 am

No L188 but a Viscount
 
CanesFan
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:48 am

flyPIT wrote:
I'm going with BAL.


Good call!
 
User avatar
rj968
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:57 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:57 am

WPvsMW wrote:
It's the old Friendship Airport (now BWI) viewing deck, looking to the SE. I lived in Baltimore then, and spent a good bit of time on that deck.

Absolutely "BAL" now BWI, observation deck over Pier B looking out at Pier A. Being a harbor town they called the concourses piers in those days. Worked there in 1962 - 63
 
sparky35805
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:27 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:18 am

Baltimore Friendship before June 1962.Eastern grounded the Martins with the strike starting June 1962.That paint scheme on the DC-7B was introduced with the modified Electras in 1961.
 
sparky35805
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:27 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:21 am

Baltimore Friendship before June 1962.Eastern grounded the Martins with the strike starting June 1962.That paint scheme on the DC-7B was introduced with the modified Electras in 1961.
 
User avatar
Florianopolis
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:53 am

1959 BWI Aerial. (Click to Embiggen)

Image
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:29 am

Looking at the clothing being worn, I think they are British package tourists flying RyanAir out of Stansted. I can say this with some certainty, because I'm British.
 
TheGeordielad
Posts: 905
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
Looking at the clothing being worn, I think they are British package tourists flying RyanAir out of Stansted. I can say this with some certainty, because I'm British.

I'm British but I know Stansted wasn't around in 1960 as an international airport and United and Eastern certainly didn't fly out of Stansted and Ryanair was around back then.
 
se210
Posts: 353
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:03 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Further dating the photographs, it looks like the UA B720 in the 2nd photograph is N7224U - #18077 - delivered April 10,1962 ; FYI eventually of "Caesars Chariot" fame which did carry those other British "tourists" (Led Zeppelin) around in the 70's:

Another picture of the BAL observation deck. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 46961b.jpg
Brickwork, brick color, brick flooring, capstone on top of the bricks, and the black railing all match. Even 9 bricks high from bottom to top if you zoom and compare to the 3rd picture.
 
_AA_777_MAN
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2000 1:58 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Definitely not ORD.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2510
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
Looking at the clothing being worn, I think they are British package tourists flying RyanAir out of Stansted. I can say this with some certainty, because I'm British.



Are your comments for real?

Btw 'Package holiday makers' are more inclined to fly Thomson or Thomas Cook rather than Ryanair (one word).

But as it's already been pointed out the photos are from 1960 and taken at BWI so your statement is way off the mark on so many levels and you say with certainty because your British!

And by the way I am British.
 
highflier92660
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:16 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:01 pm

se210 wrote:
Another picture of the BAL observation deck. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 46961b.jpg
Brickwork, brick color, brick flooring, capstone on top of the bricks, and the black railing all match. Even 9 bricks high from bottom to top if you zoom and compare to the 3rd picture.



What a wonderful snapshot of 1960s Baltimore Friendship airport history. I believe that's a Lufthansa Boeing tail at the end the observation deck as well.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:45 am

Cunard wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
Looking at the clothing being worn, I think they are British package tourists flying RyanAir out of Stansted. I can say this with some certainty, because I'm British.


Are your comments for real?

Btw 'Package holiday makers' are more inclined to fly Thomson or Thomas Cook rather than Ryanair (one word).

But as it's already been pointed out the photos are from 1960 and taken at BWI so your statement is way off the mark on so many levels and you say with certainty because your British!

And by the way I am British.


TheGeordielad wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
Looking at the clothing being worn, I think they are British package tourists flying RyanAir out of Stansted. I can say this with some certainty, because I'm British.

I'm British but I know Stansted wasn't around in 1960 as an international airport and United and Eastern certainly didn't fly out of Stansted and Ryanair was around back then.


I used cunning and deduction. The passengers are extremely well dressed, to the point they wouldn't look out of place at a wedding or in fact any church service. Typical of British package holiday makers, probably on one of the £5 all in trips from The Sun newspaper (2 shillings and 6 pence I think the deal was back then). Probably got the National Express down the night before and slept in the terminal. I think the backdrop and year was added with PhotoShop to throw people off the scent. All this from just looking at the first photo - I skipped the rest.

....and no, my comments are not for real. Apologies for me having one of my failed humour attempts :(
 
JCTJennings
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:44 am

Virtual737 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
Looking at the clothing being worn, I think they are British package tourists flying RyanAir out of Stansted. I can say this with some certainty, because I'm British.


Are your comments for real?

Btw 'Package holiday makers' are more inclined to fly Thomson or Thomas Cook rather than Ryanair (one word).

But as it's already been pointed out the photos are from 1960 and taken at BWI so your statement is way off the mark on so many levels and you say with certainty because your British!

And by the way I am British.


TheGeordielad wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
Looking at the clothing being worn, I think they are British package tourists flying RyanAir out of Stansted. I can say this with some certainty, because I'm British.

I'm British but I know Stansted wasn't around in 1960 as an international airport and United and Eastern certainly didn't fly out of Stansted and Ryanair was around back then.


I used cunning and deduction. The passengers are extremely well dressed, to the point they wouldn't look out of place at a wedding or in fact any church service. Typical of British package holiday makers, probably on one of the £5 all in trips from The Sun newspaper (2 shillings and 6 pence I think the deal was back then). Probably got the National Express down the night before and slept in the terminal. I think the backdrop and year was added with PhotoShop to throw people off the scent. All this from just looking at the first photo - I skipped the rest.

....and no, my comments are not for real. Apologies for me having one of my failed humour attempts :(


No, National Express didn't exist in 1960. Might have been Eastern National though (probably a Bristol MW6G with ECW body), and, of course, The Sun didn't exist in 1960 either, maybe the Daily Sketch?
 
JCTJennings
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:45 am

Virtual737 wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
Looking at the clothing being worn, I think they are British package tourists flying RyanAir out of Stansted. I can say this with some certainty, because I'm British.


Are your comments for real?

Btw 'Package holiday makers' are more inclined to fly Thomson or Thomas Cook rather than Ryanair (one word).

But as it's already been pointed out the photos are from 1960 and taken at BWI so your statement is way off the mark on so many levels and you say with certainty because your British!

And by the way I am British.


TheGeordielad wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
Looking at the clothing being worn, I think they are British package tourists flying RyanAir out of Stansted. I can say this with some certainty, because I'm British.

I'm British but I know Stansted wasn't around in 1960 as an international airport and United and Eastern certainly didn't fly out of Stansted and Ryanair was around back then.


I used cunning and deduction. The passengers are extremely well dressed, to the point they wouldn't look out of place at a wedding or in fact any church service. Typical of British package holiday makers, probably on one of the £5 all in trips from The Sun newspaper (2 shillings and 6 pence I think the deal was back then). Probably got the National Express down the night before and slept in the terminal. I think the backdrop and year was added with PhotoShop to throw people off the scent. All this from just looking at the first photo - I skipped the rest.

....and no, my comments are not for real. Apologies for me having one of my failed humour attempts :(


No, National Express didn't exist in 1960. Might have been Eastern National though (probably a Bristol MW6G with ECW body), and, of course, The Sun didn't exist in 1960 either, maybe the Daily Sketch?
 
ual763
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:57 am

Yeah, definitely not ORD. I thought O'hare wasn't even dedicated as a pax airport until 1963?
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2928
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:09 am

Virtual737 wrote:
....and no, my comments are not for real. Apologies for me having one of my failed humour attempts :(


It was not a failed attempt.....I found it quite funny.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:08 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
....and no, my comments are not for real. Apologies for me having one of my failed humour attempts :(


It was not a failed attempt.....I found it quite funny.


Thank you sir.

JCTJennings wrote:
No, National Express didn't exist in 1960. Might have been Eastern National though (probably a Bristol MW6G with ECW body), and, of course, The Sun didn't exist in 1960 either, maybe the Daily Sketch?


I think you're onto something there. I did call Richard Branson for his comments but he was out.
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6488
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
....and no, my comments are not for real. Apologies for me having one of my failed humour attempts :(

I thought it was funny as well.

I guess one has to have roots with the UK to truly appreciate British holiday traveller humour! It has been the source of a lot of jokes.

I recall an advert from years ago where a beautiful woman in a long flowing gown is standing on a beach at sunset. A man approaches her and asks "Did you come from heaven, placed here by God." she turned and in a thick cockney accent replied ... "No, from Gatwick on Dan-Air".
 
ILNFlyer
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:05 pm

se210 wrote:
Further dating the photographs, it looks like the UA B720 in the 2nd photograph is N7224U - #18077 - delivered April 10,1962 ; FYI eventually of "Caesars Chariot" fame which did carry those other British "tourists" (Led Zeppelin) around in the 70's:

Another picture of the BAL observation deck. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 46961b.jpg
Brickwork, brick color, brick flooring, capstone on top of the bricks, and the black railing all match. Even 9 bricks high from bottom to top if you zoom and compare to the 3rd picture.


God, how I miss observation decks. :hissyfit:
 
Cunard
Posts: 2510
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 pm

longhauler wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
....and no, my comments are not for real. Apologies for me having one of my failed humour attempts :(

I thought it was funny as well.

I guess one has to have roots with the UK to truly appreciate British holiday traveller humour! It has been the source of a lot of jokes.

I recall an advert from years ago where a beautiful woman in a long flowing gown is standing on a beach at sunset. A man approaches her and asks "Did you come from heaven, placed here by God." she turned and in a thick cockney accent replied ... "No, from Gatwick on Dan-Air".


That was the actress Lorraine Chase in a Martini advert in the late 1970's

It actually went as such and not how you word it.

A swarve looking gentlemen approaches her as she sips her Martini and asks in a posh voice 'were you wofted here from heaven' in which she replies in a strong cockney accent 'Nah (No) from Luton Airport'.

No mention of Gatwick or Dan Air or even GOD in the TV commercial what so ever.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2510
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Cunard wrote:
longhauler wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
....and no, my comments are not for real. Apologies for me having one of my failed humour attempts :(

I thought it was funny as well.

I guess one has to have roots with the UK to truly appreciate British holiday traveller humour! It has been the source of a lot of jokes.

I recall an advert from years ago where a beautiful woman in a long flowing gown is standing on a beach at sunset. A man approaches her and asks "Did you come from heaven, placed here by God." she turned and in a thick cockney accent replied ... "No, from Gatwick on Dan-Air".


That was the actress Lorraine Chase in a Martini advert in the late 1970's

It actually went as such and not how you word it.

A swarve looking gentlemen approaches Lorraine Chase as she sits on her balcony sipping her Martini and he asks in a posh voice 'were you wofted here from heaven' in which she replies in a strong cockney accent 'Nah (No) from Luton Airport'.

No mention of Gatwick or Dan Air or even GOD in the TV commercial what so ever.
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6488
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:19 am

Cunard wrote:
No mention of Gatwick or Dan Air or even GOD in the TV commercial what so ever.


"What so ever" Huh?

Man oh man, the Anal Alices on this website astound me sometimes!

I was looking at a clip that was likely a parody of that commercial, as apparently that commercial was quite well known. I don't know the British comedy troop that was doing the parody, as I am not familiar with British Television of the early 1990s. But ... they did mention God (gasp) and DAN-Air (double gasp). I am going to guess it had something to do with the then recent shutdown of the airline.

But back to the comments of the gentleman above. "British package tour holiday travelers" were certainly fodder for comedy in the past.
 
timz
Topic Author
Posts: 6589
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:43 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:10 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
It's the old Friendship Airport (now BWI) viewing deck, looking to the SE.

Looking WSW-- camera is looking along taxiway F, wouldn't you say?
 
spartanmjf
Posts: 542
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:31 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 pm

I agree - Friendship Baltimore - here are a few more interesting photos for those of you who may not remember my hometown airport:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... llery.html
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2252
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:23 pm

timz wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
It's the old Friendship Airport (now BWI) viewing deck, looking to the SE.

Looking WSW-- camera is looking along taxiway F, wouldn't you say?

No worries... the main "pier" at Friendship pointed (and still points) SE, "looking" directly at Annapolis. The folks in the first pix appear to be on the main pier ob. deck, so the background of the pix would be SW or so.

Fawlty Towers, anyone?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_To ... Fawlty.jpg
 
reltney
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: Is this O'Hare? (says 1960)

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:00 am

TheGeordielad wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
Looking at the clothing being worn, I think they are British package tourists flying RyanAir out of Stansted. I can say this with some certainty, because I'm British.

I'm British but I know Stansted wasn't around in 1960 as an international airport and United and Eastern certainly didn't fly out of Stansted and Ryanair was around back then.



Lighten up Francis........ It clearly was a great joke.

Relax everyone.........

Stay calm... British humor has been introduced into the thread.....

Cheers!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos