cmb320
Topic Author

How Do You Feel About San?

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:25 pm

As of right now, trying to make a decision between moving to PHX or SAN.

I love both cities, and I definitely love PHX Sky Harbor... but how do you feel about SAN Lindbergh Field?

Any comments about the airport, likes or dislikes, problem or praises, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Cody
San Antonio, TX (SAT)

IMissPiedmont

RE: How Do You Feel About San?

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:30 pm

Gaaa! Forget the airports. Phoenix and San Diego are both Los Angeles wannabes. At least in San Diego you get tolerable weather. Of course in Phoenix, you get a chance to leave.

Sorry, I hate them both. But if forced, San diego would win easily. There is nothing, IMHO, that Phoenix has to brag about.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Racers22

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:30 pm

I can not tell you which one I like better because the last time I was in Sky Harbor was '92 and I really do not remember much about it. I was in Lindbergh this past December and found it to be very nice. The views that you can get of the planes coming in on approach are unreal. Most of them come in lower then the tops of the buildings in downtown San Diego. I did find Lindbergh quite crowded when I was there, but overall a very nice airport!

Racers22

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:33 pm

Phoenix and San Diego are both Los Angeles wannabes.

I would never want to live in Los Angeles over these two cities. Los Angeles is just one huge disgusting and congested city. How can you look up every day and see the smog just hanging there in the air like that? San Diego and Phoenix are so much nicer.

CcrlR

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:37 pm

Yeah and Phoenix has a airport that stores planes too.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr

"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

IMissPiedmont

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:38 pm

Phoenix is no better than LA in the smog department.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

sllevin

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:48 pm

I grew up in LA. Personally, I like it better than the other places around the country I've lived.

If you like the desert weather, PHX also has the advantage of being a good travel hub, whereas SAN has fewer (although not entirely scarce) options.

Trvlr

Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:58 pm

Well, as a resident of San Diego, I am naturally biased, but if you're making a decision about moving to either city, I'd choose San Diego. SAN's got a more temperate climate, there's more to do, and the city's very pretty. I've been to PHX quite a bit, and although it's a great city, I'd rather live in SAN.
If cost-of-living is your deciding factor, however, then maybe PHX is a better choice, as finding a decent-priced home in SAN is fairly difficult.

As far as the airport goes:

PHX would definitely win the airport game, if it were a question of the variety of airlines/aircraft and the number of flights going in and out each day. PHX has the America West hub, plus the large Southwest presence, in addition to more international flights (daily BA 777, 3x weekly LH A340, Aeromexico & Mexicana). SAN is by no means a po-dunk airport, however. WN has 76 flights a day I believe, AA mainline has somewhere in the region of 20-odd departures (nearing to 27 in the summer). UA has somewhere around 25 departures, DL has a bit less, but 4-5 767s coming in each day. CO's got 8, AmWest's got 'bout 10, Alaska 14, Frontier 3, Northwest 6, Aeromexico 1, and the 5x weekly BA 777 flight to LGW. Plus there's Hawaiian, which PHX does not have.

Plus, the newer facilities at SAN are much nicer than those at PHX. T2 and the Commuter Terminal, that is...Terminal 1 is pretty much congested crap though. I was never really impressed with the facilities at PHX, however. SAN is also much more scenic...better scenery around the airport, with the San Diego Bay and Downtown literally next to the airport.

I'd suggest you move to SAN.

Aaron G.

boeing 747-311

Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:04 pm

I love sky harbor, its an awesome airport, but i wish we got some new international airlines, but other then that there is some great pictures and planes! its great!

boieng 747-311
Come fly with US

concorde1518

Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:20 pm

Phoenix. Los Angeles, although congested is quite nice. Along with New York. I'm just a city guy, but, theres a certain.... I don't know what... that makes the desert atmosphere, and the golf courses seem just as nice as living in a suburb of a big city. (I'm not being sarcastic. Living by a big city is the place to be, IMHO.)

KAUSpilot

Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:36 pm

What's wrong with san antonio? Do you need to move for job related reasons? Personally I'd love to live in san antonio some day.....sure san antonio int'l doesn have too much variety in aircraft types (although you get some interesting birds through dee howard), but overall, san antonio has the best balance of size and open space of almost any city in the country, IMO. Sure the traffic can get rough on 410, but I think it will be a lot better once they finish that I10/410 overpass.

San Antonio has a lot of culture and a very unique and a strong city identity. But I'm sure you already know all this since you live in sa right now. If you just need a change of pace, I'd take san diego over phx.

apollo13

Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:41 pm

SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!! there that should help you choose plus the city is great i went there just this weekend i just got back

Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:52 pm

Although LA has it's problems, smog is no longer a major issue. Yes, we have occasional smog here, but the problem is no where near as bad as it used to be. LA is no longer the smog capital of the US. The air has been crisp and clear for quit some time now.

Beefmoney

Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:06 pm

PHOENIX!!!!!!! PHOENIX!!!!!!!
I live in PHX, and I have been to SAN many many many times because my extended (large) family lives there and I have to go visit a few times a year. Phoenix wins IMHO, because it kicks butt in the airplane/airport part of the contest. Sky Harbor is the best airport I have ever been to in terms of spots and areas that are good for spotting. In terms of the city itself, it is a close one. I would still pick PHX because of the many places to play many sports all year round, especially golf. Although it can get up to 120 degrees in August. San Diego can get pretty nice, but the humidity is worse and I hate that. So really, PHX and SAN area very much alike. But I could never leave PHX because of our World Champion AZ DIAMONDBACKS!!!!!!!!!

rooinc

Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:12 pm

LA really isn't all that bad. Living in San Diego, I used to curse the day I would ever make the move north. Guess what?! It is a great city to live in! Beside the point, though. San Diego wins hands down. But...you aren't really making a choice based on airports, are you?! SD all the way!

--TJ

iwareboy

Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:18 pm

As a fellow Texas-> SAN transplant, be prepared for a culture change, and a price shock. Everything is more expensive, especially gas and housing. If you have the money, goto SAN, or else goto PHX. Either one is MUCH better than San Antonio.

-Sean

QANTAS747-438

Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:51 pm

You'd be crazy not to move to San Diego! I have lived in Los Angeles all my life, 20 years, and I think it's a great city! Same with San Diego. Where else can you go skiing and surfing in the same day, ANY time of year?

I'm in school here at the University of San Diego, and there's no other city like it in the world.

Move to SAN DIEGO!
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos