LAXintl
Topic Author

Other side of the coin -- EK contributes $21 billion, 104,000 jobs to US economy

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Released on the 25th anniversary of the first Open Skies agreement signed by the US, the objective of the study by Campbell-Hill Aviation Group was to quantify the annual economic impact Emirates has on the US economy.

The report attributed that EK supported more than 104,000 American jobs and contributed $21.3 billion in revenue to the US economy, including $10.5 billion to the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) and $6.4 billion of labor income in 2015.

Emirates contributes $21 billion, 104,000 jobs to US economy
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/business/av ... us-economy

=

Report itself can be downloaded at: (pdf)
http://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/pdfs/in ... States.pdf
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mercure1

Re: Other side of the coin -- EK contributes $21 billion, 104,000 jobs to US economy

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:34 pm

No doubt the ME3 and other carriers like the rapid growth from China creates major business activity from the US plus all the consumer benefits from the flights themselves.
mercure f-wtcc

LAXintl
Topic Author

Re: Other side of the coin -- EK contributes $21 billion, 104,000 jobs to US economy

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 pm

Indeed the economic activity the ME3 and markets like China produce for US manufacturing is massive.

Also consumers undoubtfully have been aided with many additional choices of flights/routes and pricing options.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Varsity1

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:35 am

104,000 jobs :lol:

I'd like to see the figures on that.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

RL777

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 am

Varsity1 wrote:

It doesn't state whether that figure is direct/indirect in the article, I too am interested to see where they pull that number from.

PlaneCookies

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:47 am

RL777 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

It doesn't state whether that figure is direct/indirect in the article, I too am interested to see where they pull that number from.

I do indeed have an idea where they pulled that number from. :scratchchin:

[email protected]

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 am

Clearly no one bothered to open the PDF. The breakdown of US jobs is on page 21.

Direct: 7518
Indirect: 28963
Induced: 67631
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

dtw2hyd

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 am

Varsity1 wrote:

At least this time they hired a DC area PR consulting company. Positive direction.

I am not sure Ms.Aniston got paid full $5M or contract was terminated after the failed shower episode.

Tdan

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:50 am

If each daily widebody contributes approximately $100M in economic impact between the U.S. And the M.E., then this means EK flies 210 daily departures to the U.S.

Yeah, something doesn't smell right in the Campbell Hill report. But then again, Campbell Hill has never been known for its conservative forecasts or estimates...
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

zeke

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:07 am

[twoid][/twoid]
[email protected] wrote:
Clearly no one bothered to open the PDF. The breakdown of US jobs is on page 21.

Yes that indeed is obvious, and the same peoples do it over and over again.

Direct Impacts of Emirates' U.S. Operations: Transportation, marketing and other spending,

labor income and employment related to the handling of aircraft, passengers and cargo at U.S. destination airports.

 Direct Impacts of U.S. Goods and Services Purchased by Emirates for Worldwide Operations: The airline's spending for:

(1) U.S.-built aircraft, engines and other fleet-related commodities and services; and (2) U.S. goods and services in support of its overseas catering operations as well as

information technology and reservations systems provided by U.S. companies and their

overseas affiliates.

 Indirect Impacts of U.S. Spending by New Passenger Demand or Passenger “Stimulation”: Spending by foreign visitors and U.S. originating passengers for:

(1) lodging; (2) food and beverages; (3) recreation/entertainment; (4) air and ground transportation; and (5) education within the U.S.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

RoySFlying

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:21 am

Who needs to actually read the report? Who can actually read and interpret it, anyway?

Of course Emirates has absolutely no impact on jobs in the US. All those Boeings they fly around don't generate a single job and no income for anyone. The engines that propel the aircraft, why they're just produced by magic. Not a single job and certainly no money to be made. All the spare parts, obviously cheap rip-offs bought from street vendors in Paris or Venice along with the Gucci handbags and Rolex watches. And even when EK buys from Airbus, well there's absolutely zero US imput there in the way of hardware or software.

Emirates further gains by making the passengers starve during the flights. Why would they purchase meals and drinks? Marketing, sales and distribution: a phonebox in Tijuana. And of course, if Emirates weren't flying somebody else would because we know that previously they ... Oh they didn't.

No,no, anyone who claims that EK has any positive impact in the US whatsoever is obviously wrong and a biased fanboy. You know its true. You read it here on airliners.net.

ikramerica

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:41 am

[email protected] wrote:

Indirect and induced jobs are like disease related death statistics or causes of traffic accidents. They add up to more than the total by a very large margin.

Then of course there's the question of how many routes and opportunities were lost due to the ME3 taking them. It's not a zero sum game, but it's also not a true that one EK job is one that wouldn't exist otherwise.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

abul1988

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:06 am

since we are so concerned about american jobs

delta has more airbus on order while emirates has more boeing on order.

Varsity1

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:56 am

If Emirates didn't carry the traffic, somebody else would. More than likely they would fly Boeing's (and more of them, with the disproportionate popularity of the A380 at EK.

Air travel is a commodity. EK's a subsidized commodity.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

[email protected]

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:08 am

Varsity1 wrote:
If Emirates didn't carry the traffic, somebody else would. More than likely they would fly Boeing's (and more of them, with the disproportionate popularity of the A380 at EK.

And DL is a crybaby which would fly to X, Y and Z if it wasn't for blasted competition, while ironically getting into bed with state-owned and state-subsidised Chinese airlines. :D
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

RoySFlying

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:27 am

Varsity1 wrote:
If Emirates didn't carry the traffic, somebody else would. ...

Which begs the question of why those other carriers didn't before the likes of EK came onto the scene. Have you not heard of the concept of stimulated demand? The airlines were previously not offering many routes due to a) restrictive bilateral agreements and, b) the belief that there was no demand. EK has shown that the introduction of a well-placed player into the market can result in additional journeys being available, increasing the total demand for travel.

Sure, air travel is a commodity, despite pretentions otherwise, but to the repeated claim of EK being subsidised, I am still waiting for the proof of these unsubstantiated allegations. Without proof, all you have is innuendo and allegations.

kimimm19

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:56 am

[email protected] wrote:

That's because some are still trying to wrap their head around their being two sides to a coin...

fanoftristars

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:12 am

Isn't Khaleej Times the state-owned news organization? While I agree that EK has created jobs and economic benefit in the US, I don't think Khaleej Times would ever be considered an independent source for news. I'd take all of this with a grain of salt.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

[email protected]

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:15 am

fanoftristars wrote:
Isn't Khaleej Times the state-owned news organization? While I agree that EK has created jobs and economic benefit in the US, I don't think Khaleej Times would ever be considered an independent source for news. I'd take all of this with a grain of salt.

I think you omitted to see the PDF.

emiratesdriver

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:19 am

Tdan wrote:
If each daily widebody contributes approximately $100M in economic impact between the U.S. And the M.E., then this means EK flies 210 daily departures to the U.S.

Yeah, something doesn't smell right in the Campbell Hill report. But then again, Campbell Hill has never been known for its conservative forecasts or estimates...

As opposed to DL whom are considered the beacon and bastion of all that's fair and balanced, just like faux news....

ME720

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:22 am

khaleej times?? They do not report! They simply publish what is handed to them from the ministry of "propaganda".. no journalism in the UAE, no reliable independent sources!
EK certainly has an impact on US jobs, no one denies.. but 100k jobs? 21billion??!

fanoftristars

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:22 am

No I saw it - But again, who paid for this study to be done? Did they examine what the impact would be to the US economy if Emirates followed the same standards as US Airlines for labor? Again, I'm not saying that the report is untrue, but certainly skewed to paint Emirates in a good light. The inexpensive flights have helped the US consumer and business - just like inexpensive goods imported from other countries to the US have helped the US consumer buy more, but at what cost to the economy? I do agree that US Airlines have little to complain about - They are seeing some of the strongest profits on record, and certainly have benefited from a business climate that has allowed them to merge, eliminate competition, and charge higher prices domestically.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

Andre3K

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 am

abul1988 wrote:

I've been wanting to say this FOREVER.

If Delta is so "Pro American" then they should cancel the A350 orders and order some B779's or something. Oh wait that will probably never happen.

I don't feel sorry for Delta, they are pissing in Boeing's face every chance they get. I hope Emirates continues to be a thorn in their spine.

[email protected]

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:28 am

fanoftristars wrote:
No I saw it - But again, who paid for this study to be done? Did they examine what the impact would be to the US economy if Emirates followed the same standards as US Airlines for labor? Again, I'm not saying that the report is untrue, but certainly skewed to paint Emirates in a good light. The inexpensive flights have helped the US consumer and business - just like inexpensive goods imported from other countries to the US have helped the US consumer buy more, but at what cost to the economy? I do agree that US Airlines have little to complain about - They are seeing some of the strongest profits on record, and certainly have benefited from a business climate that has allowed them to merge, eliminate competition, and charge higher prices domestically.

Who paid for US3's report? Certainly skewed to paint the MEB3 in a bad light.

:-)

fanoftristars

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:09 am

[email protected] wrote:
fanoftristars wrote:

Who paid for US3's report? Certainly skewed to paint the MEB3 in a bad light.

:-)
Agreed. They've certainly done their fair share to make their situation seem dire.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

scbriml

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:33 am

Varsity1 wrote:

Well, it's all there in the report. You did read every page of it I assume? If not, I'm surprised because I suspect you can quote every word from your friends at PFOFS.

You could try refuting some of the facts and figures, but instead you just reject them without even reading them. Why am I not surprised? :scratchchin:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

zionite

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:55 am

There's no denying that EK (and ME3) have created/maintained high paying skilled jobs in US compared to job loses of low paying semi-skilled jobs that DL keeps crying about.

104,000 jobs may be inflated but even half of that at 50,000 job is excellent.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:02 am

Not sure why we need to debate this every year.

Boeing jobs: 1000 total. Pretty bad ROI considering US Taxpayer subsidize thru EXIM and Boeing B777X development by WA.
Airport jobs 50. Chicago Mayor is on record.:

sxf24

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:29 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

Boeing jobs: 1000 total. Pretty bad ROI considering US Taxpayer subsidize thru EXIM and Boeing B777X development by WA.

The US taxpayer does not support EXIM. EXIM generates a large profit, which subsidizes US taxpayers.

The Washington State tax agreement is between the people of Washington and Boeing with no impact to other US taxpayers.

Revelation

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:41 pm

EK creates hundreds of thousands of US jobs and only employs young and hot FAs -- yep, they rock!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

airbazar

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

Nonsense. Before EK or any of the ME3 came along, airlines and especially U.S. airlines had ample opportunity to fly those routes and they never even cared. DL attempted only a measly single daily to India and before that NW was flying to India via AMS and never non-stop. U.S. airlines only cared to cherry pick the most valuable route/customer combination and would never in a million years with or without EK, start routes to destinations like BLR or MAA. The Europeans even went as far as requiring Indian passport holder to obtain a transit visa for the privilege of spending 2 hours in their pretty airports. EK saw an opportunity to tap into a vastly under-served market that no one wanted and took full advantage of it. EK exists today thanks to the incompetence and arrogance of the "incumbent" carriers and the governments that they operate under.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:04 pm

sxf24 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

The US taxpayer does not support EXIM. EXIM generates a large profit, which subsidizes US taxpayers.

The Washington State tax agreement is between the people of Washington and Boeing with no impact to other US taxpayers.

EXIM is profitable because of other programs and sales, not because of subsidized sales to the Middle East. B7G1 free program for a WB is not good for any program or country.
Last I checked Washington State is still part of the union, not an eight Emirate.

Had Boeing sold 10xB777X to 30 airlines, fewer discounts it needs to offer, program would have been healthy, now all eggs in one basket.

EK PR does this in every country, they claim they created 104K in the USA, 80K in EU and 90K jobs in India.

oldannyboy

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:07 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

Ahh, Varsity... all those bad guys at the ME3, starving poor ole' lil' Delta! :stirthepot: ..Oh wait, DL is buying Airbus and Bombardier?... heck! :shock:

dtw2hyd

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:08 pm

airbazar wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Nonsense. Before EK or any of the ME3 came along, airlines and especially U.S. airlines had ample opportunity to fly those routes and they never even cared. DL attempted only a measly single daily to India and before that NW was flying to India via AMS and never non-stop. U.S. airlines only cared to cherry pick the most valuable route/customer combination and would never in a million years with or without EK, start routes to destinations like BLR or MAA. The Europeans even went as far as requiring Indian passport holder to obtain a transit visa for the privilege of spending 2 hours in their pretty airports. EK saw an opportunity to tap into a vastly under-served market that no one wanted and took full advantage of it. EK exists today thanks to the incompetence and arrogance of the "incumbent" carriers and the governments that they operate under.

How is that nonsense? India also signed Open Skies and purchased 50 WBs. They were forced to sell their planes because ME3 capacity dumping and price lowering practices. Had there not been ME3, both US and Indian carriers would have thrived.

DL is using their B77Ls on medium haul flights.
Last edited by dtw2hyd on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sq421

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:10 pm

airbazar wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure about other European careers but I remember BA requiring this visa as late as 2013. That was what prompted me to fly LH (though star points were a valuable attraction).

The only reason the ME3 thrive for India - US flights is because Indian government constrained the growth of Indian careers (AI, 9W) with a worthless 5/20 rule, high taxation on fuel etc. and the US careers out of their sheer racist xenophobia never bothered to enter the market in a proper manner.

Channex757

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:10 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

How many in the supply chain?

Oops...you just shot yourself in the arse by quoting selectively

dtw2hyd

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Channex757 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

How many in the supply chain?

Oops...you just shot yourself in the arse by quoting selectively

You should count supply chain numbers under Japanese.

Oh, wait, you count all numbers for all countries. Filing different reports in different countries is where ME3 got caught by US3 gumshoes.

EK purchased 10% total B777s, don't see rest of the 90% customers claiming they created 900,000 jobs here.

Flighty

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

Well stated. Getting a subsidized commodity is nice in some ways, deeply harmful in other ways.

For one thing, although 104,000 might be created, other jobs would be lost - probably more than 104,000.

Tedd

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Revelation wrote:
EK creates hundreds of thousands of US jobs and only employs young and hot FAs -- yep, they rock!

There is something to be said for age & experience, this can also apply to FA`s :)

atypical

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:10 pm

The PDF is not very enlightening as to specific methodology used and the devil is truly in the details. For example the 104,000 jobs is not well defined at all. If this any person who works any hours or is this based upon based on 2080 (1 year's employment) hours, or is this a lifetime of employment. There is also no delineation between economic impact of the market and the airline itself. Whether Emirates is counting their capture of a market that exists whether Emirates is participating or not in that market is unclear.

Flighty

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Yeah it is only when you get older you realize how clueless young people really are. They can do ok - if well trained.

manny

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:17 pm

....according to the mouthpiece of UAE. I will take those with a grain of salt.

scbriml

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:26 pm

manny wrote:

That's fine. Do you also take the US3's utterances on the topic with the same degree of saltiness?
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

manny

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:04 pm

scbriml wrote:
manny wrote:

That's fine. Do you also take the US3's utterances on the topic with the same degree of saltiness?

Nice way of deflecting away from the point. This thread is about this article which is nothing but a fluff piece for EK and is not worth the paper its printed on. Period.

Jayafe

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:06 pm

manny wrote:
Nice way of deflecting away from the point. This thread is about this article which is nothing but a fluff piece for EK and is not worth the paper its printed on. Period.

Which by comparison can be leveraged with the BS that comes from US3 (crying DL videos, cof cof) and it is indeed a valid point. Period, as you said.

AirbusCanada

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:07 pm

airbazar wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

And that is just India, one of the largest O&D market out of the U.S.
Let's not forget parts of Africa, Middle East, South East Asia & Far East that was never in the radar by the US3. According to US3 and their alliance partners, customers from those region has plenty of choices besides ME3, as long as they don't mind 3+ connections and 40~50 hours to reach their final destination.

airbazar

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:17 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

How is that nonsense? India also signed Open Skies and purchased 50 WBs. They were forced to sell their planes because ME3 capacity dumping and price lowering practices. Had there not been ME3, both US and Indian carriers would have thrived.

DL is using their B77Ls on medium haul flights.

What a load of nonsense. AI was a badly managed, unsustainable airline long before the ME3 came along.

Delta Airlines, Founded 1924
Air India, Founded 1932
Emirates, Founded 1985
Qatar Airways, Founded 1993
Ethiad Airways, Founded 2003

Delta, AI, all the other airwhiners had decades of a head start to serve the markets that the ME3 now serve and prevent any new competition and they ignored it. And to this day continue to ignore it as seen by DY's recent expansion in the TATL market.

stl07

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:21 pm

abul1988 wrote:

I even head that in STL a QR order put a bunch of people back to work and brought new people in. There is a reason why Trump hasn't sounded his horn on this issue , like he has for almost every other foreign competition issue.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:00 pm

airbazar wrote:

What a load of nonsense. AI was a badly managed, unsustainable airline long before the ME3 came along.

Delta Airlines, Founded 1924
Air India, Founded 1932
Emirates, Founded 1985
Qatar Airways, Founded 1993
Ethiad Airways, Founded 2003

Delta, AI, all the other airwhiners had decades of a head start to serve the markets that the ME3 now serve and prevent any new competition and they ignored it. And to this day continue to ignore it as seen by DY's recent expansion in the TATL market.

The discussion is about who can buy Boeing planes, not when they are founded.

Even if AI was/is badly managed, its owner placed a huge order against its own wishes, with all its financial troubles, it will take delivery of every single plane. Cannot say same for the well-done-numbers airline.

Boeing or Airbus would love someone takes delivery per contract, not someone cancels on the day of delivery.

Headstart for what, gather legacy costs and aged employees. It is not that DL (or) AI can ship out an FA to their home country if they get old, injured or pregnant.

scbriml

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:10 pm

manny wrote:
Nice way of deflecting away from the point.

No deflection at all - just trying to understand if you're applying equal scepticism to both sides of the argument. Apparently you're not.

Jayafe wrote:
Which by comparison can be leveraged with the BS that comes from US3 (crying DL videos, cof cof) and it is indeed a valid point.

Exactly my point. Thank you.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos