Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RoySFlying
Topic Author

Man Checks In Single Can of Beer on Qantas Flight

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:34 am

Is it the first of April? Did this really happen?

We all have tales of bags going missing, cases arriving damaged or things missing from them on arrival. But what about this guy?

On a recent flight from Melbourne to Perth, he checked in a single can of Emu Export beer. Not only is it surprising that it would be accepted as check-in baggage but more, it was first on to the carousel at the other end. Not only did it arrive undamaged, even more surprising, it was still full. :smile:

https://thewest.com.au/news/offbeat/wis ... b88534424z

anshabhi

Re: Man Checks In Single Can of Beer on Qantas Flight

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:19 am

Why is this a news..?

77H

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:23 am

anshabhi wrote:
Why is this a news..?

Saw this on social media, thought it was funny. It's not news, it's just a lighthearted story.

77H

Virtual737

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:29 am

anshabhi wrote:
Why is this a news..?

It's funny, unusual and, if you had to guess the nationality of someone doing this you would (well not you obviously) probably pick Australian.

cskok8

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:35 am

That's because it was not accepted as hand luggage

TWA772LR

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:41 am

cskok8 wrote:

A man's gotta have his beer!

When I worked as a PSA, I worked the arrival once and was standing at our belt in intl bagged claim. A tub came up with nothing in it but a 3 foot long stick. A stick. A freakin stick from a tree. And it even had a bag tag!

ualtoth

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:42 am

This is actually pretty funny and enlightening with a lot of the depressing things you see throughout the news media.

TWA772LR

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:47 am

ualtoth wrote:
This is actually pretty funny and enlightening with a lot of the depressing things you see throughout the news media.

The post won the Internet for the day, and your comment is a close second. But the true champion is the daring individual who entrusted is sacred liquid gold in the hands of strangers.

TheF15Ace

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:54 am

TWA772LR wrote:
ualtoth wrote:

The post won the Internet for the day, and your comment is a close second. But the true champion is the daring individual who entrusted is sacred liquid gold in the hands of strangers.

And kudos to the strangers who ensured the man's treasure reached its final destination in its original condition. :D

csturdiv

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:00 am

TheF15Ace wrote:
And kudos to the strangers who ensured the man's treasure reached its final destination in its original condition. :D

It was a can of Emu, it wasn't that good of a beer, so no one took it. This would be like someone from the US trying to check a can of Schlitz or Hamms. If it was a can from Feral Brewing (Perth area) or Pirate Life (Adelaide area), I would've stolen the can after he checked it if I was there.

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:01 am

Trying to check a can of Foster's might have warranted an oversize or overweight charge.... ;)

TWA772LR

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:02 am

csturdiv wrote:
TheF15Ace wrote:

It was a can of Emu, it wasn't that good of a beer, so no one took it. This would be like someone from the US trying to check a can of Schlitz or Hamms. If it was a can from Feral Brewing (Perth area) or Pirate Life (Adelaide area), I would've stolen the can after he checked it if I was there.

We got a beer snob over here! :biggrin:
Jk!

MSPbrandon

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:09 am

A good laugh to end my day. Thanks for posting.

csturdiv

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:13 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Trying to check a can of Foster's might have warranted an oversize or overweight charge.... ;)

Nobody drinks Fosters here, haven't even seen it in any stores...I'm sorry, I need to say that Australian, I have never seen it at the bottle-o's or any pubs.

Virtual737

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:24 am

csturdiv wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Nobody drinks Fosters here, haven't even seen it in any stores...I'm sorry, I need to say that Australian, I have never seen it at the bottle-o's or any pubs.

As a Pom I am both entitled to have and clearly expert in the opinion (neigh FACT!) that our criminal cousins from down under have little knowledge in nor make up to consume REAL beer.

Beer should be chemical ridden, hangonver inducing, less than 4% alcohol, highly taxed, taste like rats p1ss and be labelled as Australian whilst being owned by a British conglomerate. Yes, we know beer!

LoganTheBogan

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:29 am

Proving that Emu's can actually fly ;)

RoySFlying
Topic Author

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:32 am

77H wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
Why is this a news..?

Saw this on social media, thought it was funny. It's not news, it's just a lighthearted story.

77H

Thank you. Among all the tales of doom and gloom in the aviation industry, it was good to see something amusing for a change.

csturdiv wrote:
It was a can of Emu, it wasn't that good of a beer, so no one took it

LOL. You could be right. It wouldn't be my choice, either.

kimimm19

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:41 am

Man, Aussies are proper legends! Half expected it to be a Fosters!

smi0006

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:50 am

cskok8 wrote:

Negative. We have no restrictions on the carriage of liquids on Australian domestic flights, and visitors are still welcome to see people off at the gates.

Great story! Nice to have a fun new story shared. Hope enjoyed a few inflight too!

KFLLCFII

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:59 am

RoySFlying wrote:
Not only did it arrive undamaged, even more surprising, it was still full. :smile:

Ehh I'd bet the owner still took a beer bath when they opened it. :D

ilari

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:21 am

Why just one? Why not a six pack? Anyway, a friend of mine works as a security officer at HEL. He told me that once a Russian man tried to have a real Samurai sword as carry on, because "it got through at LED too!"

a320fan

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:30 am

kimimm19 wrote:

Haha as was mentioned above, Aussies don't drink fosters. In fact the only places I've seen it is in Facebook photos from my British friends.

vhtje

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:48 am

EA CO AS wrote:

No Australian actually drinks Fosters. With good reason - it is utterly vile and revolting.

I am not even certain it is even available in Australia anymore.

kimimm19

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 am

a320fan wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

Haha as was mentioned above, Aussies don't drink fosters. In fact the only places I've seen it is in Facebook photos from my British friends.

Interesting! And yes Fosters is particularly popular in the student halls!

JannEejit

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 am

anshabhi wrote:
Why is this a news..?

Well I'm sure there's some who won't give a Castlemaine XXXX, but I thought it was quite amusing. Presumably if this tinnie had travelled on a 787 it would have been the most aluminium up there ? < That's just an amusing comment too BTW ! :lol:

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:55 am

vhtje wrote:
No Australian actually drinks Fosters. With good reason - it is utterly vile and revolting.

Foster's: Australian for beer piss

n729pa

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:42 pm

ualtoth wrote:

Actually...it made me laugh when I read it.

I bet the baggage guys must have had a laugh too when that come through on the belt.....

I suppose Qantas are just bracing themselves for copycats putting all sorts of stuff though now after this.

ClipperYankee

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Victoria Bitter was the big thing when I was in Sydney working at the 2000 Olympics. Never saw a can of Fosters.

StrandedAtMKG

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:35 pm

So QF can transport a single can of beer by itself with no issues, but UA can't transport a $40,000 wheelchair without wrecking it.

Got it.

Dutchy

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:36 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Why is this a news..?

Because it puts a smile on your face, or at least it did with me :D

sw733

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:42 pm

csturdiv wrote:
TheF15Ace wrote:

Oh I've seen plenty of Australians drink crap beer. I guarantee one of the people who touched the can along the way was half tempted ;)

Gr8Circle

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:55 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
So QF can transport a single can of beer by itself with no issues, but UA can't transport a $40,000 wheelchair without wrecking it.

Got it.

You just spoiled all the fun with that comment.....totally unrelated issues......

Gr8Circle

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Just wondering.....would a can of beer like that, in an unpressurised baggage hold, have a chance of bursting open? Not that it would be any great safety concern, but just curious to know....

RetiredWeasel

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
Just wondering.....would a can of beer like that, in an unpressurised baggage hold, have a chance of bursting open? Not that it would be any great safety concern, but just curious to know....

There is no such thing as an "unpressurized" baggage hold in modern airliners. If in the baggage hold, it would be experiencing the same ambient pressure as the cans of beer in the flight attendants beverage cart.

canyonblue17

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Can someone send me a TUI from New Zealand. Can't get it in the States. I promise to pick it up off the carousel.

smallvoyageur

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:15 pm

vhtje wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

I was told 90% of all the beer in Australia isn't even Australian owned, it is either Belgian, AB Inbev (Crown, VB, Carlton Draught, Foster's Australia) or Japanese, Kirin through its Lion subsidiary (Hahn, Emu, XXXX or Tooheys). Foster's in the UK is Dutch as it is made by Heineken.

United787

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:16 pm

I love that all of the Aussie's say that no one drinks Foster... if that was the case, they wouldn't sell it.

I studied abroad at RMIT in 1993 and saw Fosters all over the place. That said, being respectful to my fellow Victorians, I never had one... plus I lived in Carlton, so I felt obliged to stick to Carlton brands. I drank a lot of VB but not sure I would anymore... I had one in Singapore in 2008 and practically threw it up... might be a different recipe there...

Budweiser is the ubiquitous American brand, the only US beer I have seen sold overseas, taste like shit, but still people drink it... but people still drink Coors Light, Miller Lite etc. too...

robsaw

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:04 pm

smallvoyageur wrote:

I was told 90% of all the beer in Australia isn't even Australian owned, it is either Belgian, AB Inbev (Crown, VB, Carlton Draught, Foster's Australia) or Japanese, Kirin through its Lion subsidiary (Hahn, Emu, XXXX or Tooheys). Foster's in the UK is Dutch as it is made by Heineken.

Given the domination of the beer market by a few multinationals, most countries don't have domestic ownership of their local beer producers:

The top 3 hold 50% of the global beer market:
AB-InBev (Belgium/USA)
Heineken (Netherlands)
Carlsberg (Denmark)

And about another 1/3 of the market is controlled by:
CR Beer (China)
Boston Beer (USA)
Tsingtao (China)
Modelo (Mexico)
Molson-Coors (Canada/USA)
Diageo (UK)
Yanjing (China)
Oettinger (Germany)

DfwAussie

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
Why is this a news..?

It's funny, unusual and, if you had to guess the nationality of someone doing this you would (well not you obviously) probably pick Australian.

Contrary to popular belief, not all people from Australia are the beer swilling drunks movies and TV portray us to be.

Yflyer

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:39 pm

United787 wrote:
I love that all of the Aussie's say that no one drinks Foster... if that was the case, they wouldn't sell it.

No one said no one drinks it. They said no one in Australia drinks it. It is apparently made mostly, if not entirely, for export. And my experience down under in 2012 seemed to confirm that. If I remember correctly I was told that it used to be popular there, but they changed the recipe or something and people stopped drinking it. I guess it sells in other countries just for the novelty of being Australian. And it's about the only Australian beer I've seen in the US, even at specialty stores like BevMo that sell all kinds of imported beers you wouldn't find in your typical supermarket.

Edit: But getting back to the topic at hand, I know it's been mentioned that there are no restrictions on bringing liquids on Australian domestic flights, but are there rules about bringing your own alcohol on board? Or is it ok to have it as long as you don't drink it?

airzona11

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:30 pm

The follow up to this: next person who tries to do the same thing, will retrieve it, empty, at baggage claim with a note from the ground crew, "Thanks for the drink."

DfwAussie

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Yflyer wrote:
United787 wrote:

No one said no one drinks it. They said no one in Australia drinks it. It is apparently made mostly, if not entirely, for export. And my experience down under in 2012 seemed to confirm that. If I remember correctly I was told that it used to be popular there, but they changed the recipe or something and people stopped drinking it. I guess it sells in other countries just for the novelty of being Australian. And it's about the only Australian beer I've seen in the US, even at specialty stores like BevMo that sell all kinds of imported beers you wouldn't find in your typical supermarket.

Edit: But getting back to the topic at hand, I know it's been mentioned that there are no restrictions on bringing liquids on Australian domestic flights, but are there rules about bringing your own alcohol on board? Or is it ok to have it as long as you don't drink it?

In Australia, Foster's is the equivalent of Miller Lite in America. Probably the same people who think Outback Steakhouse is an Australian eatery.

litz

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Great picture of the can of beer with a bag tag wrapped around it ...

csturdiv

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Yflyer wrote:
United787 wrote:

In the Sydney area, I do not even think Fosters is sold. I have not seen it at any bottleshops.

My flatmate just returned from a trip to Europe and flew into Melbourne for some reason and then had to fly into Sydney. He had some duty free alcohol that he bought on an international flight and had it in his suitcase. When checking in at Melbourne, Qantas said he was over the weight limit for the bag and said he needs to take something out. When he asked about the alcohol, they said sure, you can carry it on, it is a domestic flight.

2Holer4Longhaul

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:14 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Why is this a news..?

Because the rest of us need some laughter in the middle of this industry of failures.
Yes, of course there is still glorious Vistara for you.

DDR

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:18 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Why is this a news..?

Think before you post. Step back and have a laugh. It's funny.

Bostrom

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:26 pm

DfwAussie wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:
Why is this a news..?

Contrary to popular belief, not all people from Australia are the beer swilling drunks movies and TV portray us to be.

The ones I've met certainly haven't been beer swilling drunks, but wonderful persons. (Although one of them tried to teach me to eat Vegemite, I can't believe she actually enjoyed it.)

But I have the impression that beer is important to many Australians, in the same way it is important in Czechia, Germany and Belgium.

AirlineCritic

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 pm

I saw somewhere a toothbrush making rounds in the conveyer....

ualtoth

Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:09 am

StrandedAtMKG wrote:

Got it.

Did you even chuckle when you read this or did your rush to make a comment subjective to UA? Have a laugh dude.

tcfc424

Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:19 am

I recall as a ramper for UA in austin (when it was really UA) a foam case came off the plane marked with fragile stickers everywhere. On it was a large handwritten note that it was a rare craft beer 6-pack from a small brewery and pleaded for special handling. Being a beer drinker (and caring little about craft beer myself) the case was carefully removed from the aircraft, secured well in the baggage cart, and safely delivered to the baggage carousel. That they had the thought to plea to the rampers impressed me, and I didn't want anyone's beer ruined. Btw, it was very well (maybe even professionally) packaged and probably could have survived a fall out of the 319 pit in which it arrived.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos