gravytrain
Topic Author

UA regional British isles routes cuts

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Seems SNN and GLA are going to be cut over the winter months from EWR by all accounts. NCL, BFS and BRS also have gone completely in recent times. What exactly is the future for UA across the pond away from the big airports?

avek00

Re: UA regional British isles routes cuts

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:09 pm

gravytrain wrote:
Seems SNN and GLA are going to be cut over the winter months from EWR by all accounts. NCL, BFS and BRS also have gone completely in recent times. What exactly is the future for UA across the pond away from the big airports?

No one knows for certain what the future holds, but United remains the airline best positioned (on either side of the Atlantic) to connect smaller US destinations with nonstop access to the USA.

The TATL market generally is undergoing an evolution as 1) Boeing 757s/767s age into repurposing/retirement, 2) European travel patterns shift, 3) TATL low-cost carriers and hybrids grow in clout, and 4) the US point-of-sale becomes increasingly important. As frequently occurs during industry shifts, the smaller markets and thinner routes will feel the hardest hit in the near term, but I expect growth for such markets over time once legacy airlines add TATL-capable (at a full load) 737/320-family birds to their fleets.
Live life to the fullest.

Jerry123

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:12 pm

By the looks of it not in the UK regions!

masseybrown

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Ten years ago in September I flew EWR-BRS when it was a CO flight. The pax were mostly Brits on package tours to Orlando. Business class was 25% full. Maybe a ULCC could make money that way, but unless things have changed I doubt UA will try it again.

Eirules

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:09 pm

SNN has historically been quite a seasonal destination. DL, AA/US and even the hometown airline EI have cut / scaled back flights during the winter, especially January & February
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

klwright69

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Well, NCL was only seasonal a couple years with terrible loads. BRS has been gone a long time now. BFS was cut rather recently. So there are differences.

IADCA

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:18 pm

klwright69 wrote:
Well, NCL was only seasonal a couple years with terrible loads. BRS has been gone a long time now. BFS was cut rather recently. So there are differences.

From knowing some locals in Tyne & Wear, the problem with the NCL flight was pure pricing. It just wasn't worth the premium versus connecting at LHR or another hub.

gunnerman

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 pm

UK regional airports can get seasonal service, and this includes EWR-GLA and EWR-SNN, both of which will be back in summer 2018.

A problem for the US3 is Norwegian which is growing at frightening speed.

adamblang

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:26 pm

SNN has always been seasonal, hasn't it?

GLA going seasonal is kind of a bummer but if the GLA business market is softening that makes sense.

NCL started with subsidy support from the airport. I imagine that subsidy running out and the route not maturing was the reason from the cut.

BFS had special U.K. APD waivers in place to make fares cost competitive with Republic of Ireland costs but I believe the government failed to renew the waivers so fares were no longer competitive and the route wax axed.

WOW starting BRS probably didn't help United any.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

LAXdude1023

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:30 pm

BFS is overwhelmingly leisure centered and the lions share is headed to Orlando. Thats why only Orlando seems to be able to support Belfast service.
Religion is the root of evil...

User001

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Seems like Birmingham has also been removed for the winter?

tsnamm

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:56 pm

BHX & MAN have been year round from pre merger sCO days. With the aging of the 757 fleet, I wonder what the plan is going forward with the secondary European cities as the 757 begins to retire? Widebody or cut? Unless UA purchases the A321NEO I don't see how they can continue to serve some of the more marginal markets.

User001

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:10 pm

MAN remains year round so suggests it's just about OK and may survive if a switch to a B767 is needed.

BHX is currently not bookable at all past October, not even for the summer 2018 season as things stand, but, it may be a website glitch so one to watch. Let's hope it's not fully cut, that's a lot of history gone from thepat route!

CONTACREW

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:13 pm

adamblang wrote:
SNN has always been seasonal, hasn't it?

GLA going seasonal is kind of a bummer but if the GLA business market is softening that makes sense.

NCL started with subsidy support from the airport. I imagine that subsidy running out and the route not maturing was the reason from the cut.

BFS had special U.K. APD waivers in place to make fares cost competitive with Republic of Ireland costs but I believe the government failed to renew the waivers so fares were no longer competitive and the route wax axed.

WOW starting BRS probably didn't help United any.

Out of EWR its been year round when the service launched from ORD a couple years ago its been seasonal.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

gunnerman

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:20 pm

User001 wrote:
BHX is currently not bookable at all past October, not even for the summer 2018 season as things stand, but, it may be a website glitch so one to watch. Let's hope it's not fully cut, that's a lot of history gone from thepat route!

EWR-BHX is daily this summer until 27 October. From 28 October it drops to four times a week (Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and from 25 March 2018 the daily service resumes. All flights still operated with the 757.

flyingclrs727

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:27 pm

masseybrown wrote:
Ten years ago in September I flew EWR-BRS when it was a CO flight. The pax were mostly Brits on package tours to Orlando. Business class was 25% full. Maybe a ULCC could make money that way, but unless things have changed I doubt UA will try it again.

Also ten years ago CO was prohibited under the Bermuda II agreement from operating flights to LHR. No carriers at all were allowed to fly between LHR and IAH, DFW, and ATL. Flying EWR to secondary UK cities was a way of putting pressure on the UK to adopt an open skies policy with the US.

User001

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 pm

gunnerman wrote:
User001 wrote:

EWR-BHX is daily this summer until 27 October. From 28 October it drops to four times a week (Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and from 25 March 2018 the daily service resumes. All flights still operated with the 757.

UA website currently only has one stop options to BHX after 27th Oct. the 4 weekly W17/18 and subsequent daily flights for S18 have been removed.

shamrock350

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 pm

British Isles *shudders*

Just joking... but shame about Shannon, it's a very, very seasonal in demand and if a 757 is too much aircraft in the winter you really have to call time on it's year round service. Norwegian must have ate away at the already very weak yield in those bleak winter months and United thought best to cut and run until demand picks up again. How sustainable it'll be in the long term is now questionable.

skipness1E

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:48 pm

GLA-EWR was a good route for CO, when UA, BA and AA dropped or went seasonal, CO supported Scottish business via GLA. Went DC10, 764 then 2 757s on some days but major change was opening up of EDI. Is this the first time since Open Skies in 1990 GLA has lost year round connections to US? I mean it's not quite as seasonal as SNN.

gunnerman

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:48 pm

The four weekly EWR-BHX flights this winter are still in the timetable but availability has been zeroed out. Let's see what UA does, we won't have long to wait.

David_itl

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Frankly AA and CO deserve what's coming to them out of the regions with the inferior rubbish they ply that they proclaim worthy of the regional market which practcially begs the premium payer to use LHR thereby artifically boosting passenger throughput there. Thankfully MAN has got MT operating robustly with DL/VS offering a mixed bag. For BHX, they have nothing unfortunately not even Norwegian to near New York or near Boston. Surely BHX would have been a much better fit for them than EDI given the lack of competition?

BHXRunway15

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:51 pm

BHX.

It has gone finished , departed, ended, call it what you like but apparently not a suspension. It was bookable last night and then today winter was removed as per earlier posts but unfortunately it will not be coming back and I would also check Glasgow as well although I can't be certain about this one is final or just seasonal. Even a suggestion BHX will end early October.

stratacruiser

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:08 pm

David_itl wrote:
Frankly AA and CO deserve what's coming to them out of the regions with the inferior rubbish they ply that they proclaim worthy of the regional market which practcially begs the premium payer to use LHR thereby artifically boosting passenger throughput there. Thankfully MAN has got MT operating robustly with DL/VS offering a mixed bag. For BHX, they have nothing unfortunately not even Norwegian to near New York or near Boston. Surely BHX would have been a much better fit for them than EDI given the lack of competition?

I don't understand the rubbish comment. UA offers premium flyers lie-flat seating in the front cabin, plus e+ for those wanting to pay a supplement (or obtain FF status) for additional legroom. Unlike BA, coach passengers can reserve seats at time of booking without a fee. I've flown UA on several occasions between EWR and both EDI and MAN and found the service on par with other carriers.

rugeley123

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:30 pm

On United's flight timetable for next year (14th June 2018), BHX is showing up as normal so I don't think they have suspended the route. It also appears to be daily for S18

User001

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 pm

The BHX route currently isn't bookable from 5th October onwards, tried several sites and not bookable either. Doesnt matter if it's in the timetable, you can not book a seat so at this moment, it's as good as gone.

As said, unless this is a glitch, it looks to be gone.

MIflyer12

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:50 pm

avek00 wrote:
United remains the airline best positioned (on either side of the Atlantic) to connect smaller US destinations with nonstop access to the USA.

By virtue of more 757s in lie-flat config than either AA or DL, and the EWR hub (in contrast to DL's split JFK/LGA ops), that's probably true. I don't assume that UA will continue to use its 757 assets this way 'til the end.

fraT

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 pm

gunnerman wrote:
User001 wrote:

I wouldn't bet any money on that.......

skipness1E

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 pm

So a strategic move from UA.

Btw these same B757s also operate LHR-IAD/EWR so not a sub par regional offering by any means, so please change the record. I also note Delta have (arguably) dropped MAN after almost three decades and AA's MAN-ORD is on life support.
A sad day.

BHXRunway15

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:00 pm

I was a bit too pessimistic about Glasgow, it is bookable again from 5 May.

BHX ends in October and there are no plans for it to return and I can't say more than that.

Channex757

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Delta's regional offering ex-MAN is arguably better than ever for now. They have passed it to VS to operate with newer, higher capacity A333s and codeshare on the flights, giving a good POS setup at both ends. It certainly provides plenty of connectivity at the US end via Delta's operations at JFK and ATL.

MT also offer options at the bargain end as they codeshare with JetBlue at JFK and BOS, and at Manchester using FlyBE. That's a big new competitor on traditional UA territory.

airzona11

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 am

Crazy something like GLA to NYC (with a hub) cannot sustain year round on a 757. Even less than daily.

Wonder how AA does GLA-PHL?

westgate

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:49 am

I think EWR is not a big enough hub offering enough connections with enough frequencies to work for most UK regional airports. Hubs like ATL, ORD or DFW have enough connections and frequencies, but they are too far south or west to allow for decent connections to NY and other east coast markets. Not to mention that those distances would be stretching it, if not entirely impossible, for the 757. The market is too fragmented for travellers heading west, especially when there is considerably holiday and charter flights to places like CUN from NCL for example.

EK can make a daily 777-300 out of NCL work because they can catch almost all the long-distance traffic heading east i.e. everything to the middle-east, South Asia, South-East Asia, East Asia and Australasia can be funnelled through their DXB hub. They are absolutely the only airline that can offer one-stop itineraries to Australia and many smaller destinations in Asia, no one can compete with them on that. UA on the other hand had to compete with BA, KL, AF, EI etc out of NCL to every North American destination other than NY.

Also, the fact that Star Alliance has little to no presence in NCL was likely a factor in that flight failing. BA and AF/KL with their flights to LHR, CDG and AMS offer the most intercontinental connections of any airlines out of that market. LH only flies to DUS with Eurowings. If they had a few well-established daily flights to FRA like KL does to AMS, then there would have been a substantial Star Alliance frequent flyer base in the North East of England that could have provided feed for that flight.

bergkampsticket

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:31 am

stratacruiser wrote:
David_itl wrote:

I don't understand the rubbish comment. UA offers premium flyers lie-flat seating in the front cabin, plus e+ for those wanting to pay a supplement (or obtain FF status) for additional legroom. Unlike BA, coach passengers can reserve seats at time of booking without a fee. I've flown UA on several occasions between EWR and both EDI and MAN and found the service on par with other carriers.

I have to agree. I live near EDI and would sooner fly direct to the US than connect via LHR or somewhere for a comparable service.

IPFreely

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Channex757 wrote:
Delta's regional offering ex-MAN is arguably better than ever for now. They have passed it to VS to operate with newer, higher capacity A333s and codeshare on the flights, giving a good POS setup at both ends. It certainly provides plenty of connectivity at the US end via Delta's operations at JFK and ATL.

This is true and good news for everyone except the 1,500 people who got fired.

[email protected]

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:22 pm

I'd be surprised if Norwegian didn't serve wider NYC from more regional cities, e.g. BRS, BHX, NCL, GLA, at some point using Max machines.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

flyguy84

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:14 am

Seems they will be cancelling BHX service all together.
SFO

Lentini2001

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:17 am

But keep MAN even though that's regional too?

Hmmmmmmm...

RyanairGuru

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:47 am

They're down to just one 757 at MAN with IAD cancelled.

United/Continental have less capacity at MAN in 2017 than they have for 20 years.

The service started in 1995 with a 757, was upgauged to a DC-10 in 1996, and has been either one widebody or 2 757s ever since, notwithstanding the second frequency been moved to IAD after the merger.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Lentini2001

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
They're down to just one 757 at MAN with IAD cancelled.

United/Continental have less capacity at MAN in 2017 than they have for 20 years.

The service started in 1995 with a 757, was upgauged to a DC-10 in 1996, and has been either one widebody or 2 757s ever since, notwithstanding the second frequency been moved to IAD after the merger.

Thanks for the info.

UAL777UK

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:21 am

[quote="westgate"]I think EWR is not a big enough hub offering enough connections with enough frequencies to work for most UK regional airports.

Really....you sure about that?

skipness1E

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am

airzona11 wrote:
Crazy something like GLA to NYC (with a hub) cannot sustain year round on a 757. Even less than daily.

In summer onl.y
In fairness Delta launching GLA-JFK would have smashed yields on the summer which United would need to keep high.

skipness1E

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 am

IPFreely wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

Agreed, except I would be surprised if Delta had 1,500 staff at MAN.
Delta always offered good conenctivity via MAN-ATL/JFK, what you have now is someone else doing it for less cost. Now given VS' new MAN services have perhaps not done as well as expected, if one of JFK/ATL get's pulled, the difference now is I don't see Delta picking it up again.

LondonCity

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 am

Now confirmed by UA. BHX-EWR is scrapped after October 5.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... ork-route/

JannEejit

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:55 am

airzona11 wrote:

GLA was the original and only Scottish service when Continental started it almost 20 years ago, it began with larger aircraft too (DC-10, 762, 764) and for a brief period went double daily on the 752, all of this was pretty much 365 days a year with some slight winter reductions. Once EDI opened up, the GLA service reduced back to once daily 752 and had been operating that way up until now. As already mentioned, EDI appears to have a better overall yield now, which would explain why it's not being cut and also now has additional United routes operating. The arrival of Delta at GLA this summer has undoubtedly had an effect too, operating to JFK as opposed to EWR, but this again will be a summer season route only. Quite why United have completely cancelled GLA in winter instead of operating perhaps a reduced schedule of 2-3 days is interesting though. I guess those summer time yields did indeed pay for winter and one can only wonder if United will pull out altogether until maybe more fuel efficient 'regional' aircraft come into service. 797 or A321LR is probably the type that will again further fuel UK (and elsewhere) regional airports international offerings.

VC10er

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:15 am

I have flown UA to both GLA and EDI and Dublin, each a couple of times. I have Scottish relatives and once upon a time a client in Scotland. GLA was my first 757 flight across the pond and I was in Business in a lie flat seat. At first it seemed too small for a TATL flight, but then I realized I was being stupid. It was perfectly fine. Glam? No, but good enough, yes, convenient, extremely! It makes me sad to see some of these go, even though I don't fly those routes often or at all. It was simply nice to see a US carrier serve those cities.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

DobboDobbo

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21 am

skipness1E wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

Delta always offered good conenctivity via MAN-ATL/JFK, what you have now is someone else doing it for less cost. Now given VS' new MAN services have perhaps not done as well as expected, if one of JFK/ATL get's pulled, the difference now is I don't see Delta picking it up again.

Well DL did (for some reason) operate the B77L on MAN-ATL on selected dates this winter - in addition to the VS A333. Not really sure why.

In the summer months VS are fine. It's the winter where the flexibility of adding rotations with a smaller DL B752 would help. In theory this should not be a massive problem.

Obviously, it would be better if ATL and JFK could support a daily A333 year round but it's not there yet. They are trying to grow the market and although it hasn't been the roaring success they'd obviously hoped, in the circumstances, it's not done too badly.

Channex757

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:41 am

skipness1E wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

The figure I saw wasn't 1500, but 150 who lost their jobs. That's a separate debate altogether from the service offering then and now.

If there was any justice for them the staff would be TUPE'd across to VS, which I doubt happened at all.

Channex757

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:50 am

DobboDobbo wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

Well DL did (for some reason) operate the B77L on MAN-ATL on selected dates this winter - in addition to the VS A333. Not really sure why.

In the summer months VS are fine. It's the winter where the flexibility of adding rotations with a smaller DL B752 would help. In theory this should not be a massive problem.

Obviously, it would be better if ATL and JFK could support a daily A333 year round but it's not there yet. They are trying to grow the market and although it hasn't been the roaring success they'd obviously hoped, in the circumstances, it's not done too badly.

Apparently the VS A333 is on the route for its cargo capacity. Freight is doing well on the routes. DL also has a diminishing 763 fleet so reallocating aircraft round the network is going on.

AndrewJM70

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 am

No great loss - UA is a dreadful airline. Let's hope that the gaps are filled with Norwegian and possibly Jet Blue in the future.

User001

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:10 pm

No great loss!?!

For the winter period at the very least, Birmingham now has zero, yes ZERO USA flying, and that's apparently no great loss?

The US is still a huge market from the UK. Still a large trading partner, still a huge global economy, still a huge leisure draw, but apparently it's no great loss?

These sort of comments remind me of the monty Python sketch where the knight keeps getting his limbs and torso cut off proclaiming 'no big deal, it's just a scratch'. Yes it may just be 7 weekly flights (4 in the winter), but the economic affects and the stigma of being a large airport with no flights to the US will be felt. 'No big loss' is loosing Vueline to Alicante which is still very well served. 'No big loss' is loosing Norwegian to an again well served Tenerife. Loosing your only direct link to the US on the other hand.....

Im sorry, but this is a huge loss, as gaps being filled in the future is just pure speculation until said gaps are confirmed as filled. I have no doubt eventually someone will come back on the scene, but for now, as of 5th October, BHX is a large city with no direct access to a still very important market.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos