WPvsMW
Topic Author

HA177 Emergency Landing. 12 July. Engine failure.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:32 pm

"Colleen Porter, a passenger on the plane, told Hawaii News Now there was a huge crash and the plane went up and came back down. She said everyone was crying and praying until they reached Honolulu. "
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3587 ... cy-landing

Equipment was B712, flying KOA/HNL. News site pix shows HA A332 .. wrong pix is par for the course here.

avi8tir

Re: HA177 Emergency Landing. 12 July. Engine failure.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Always love the passenger quotes!
*Long live the Widget*

MrBretz

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:50 pm

It would be real scary if you were sitting in back next to the engine on the 717.

Varsity1

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:12 pm

A "huge crash" ? Is there a smoking crater around HNL somewhere?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

as739x

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:52 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
"Colleen Porter, a passenger on the plane, told Hawaii News Now there was a huge crash and the plane went up and came back down. She said everyone was crying and praying until they reached Honolulu. "
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3587 ... cy-landing

Equipment was B712, flying KOA/HNL. News site pix shows HA A332 .. wrong pix is par for the course here.

"The plane went up and then down" that pretty indicative of the pilots spilling their coffee when the engine failed :)

Agreed, pax quotes are hilarious
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

FlyHappy

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 pm

no reason to be snarky about the word "crash" - its not clear from the story if the pax was actually quoted or if the journalist ("digital content intern") simply choose the word.

But it does not matter one whit. Unless you are the pilot, an engine failure on a 2 engine plane is a highly distressing event, only to be topped by engine failure on a 1 engine plane.

KanaHawaii

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:32 pm

Another part of the snarky-ness that was expressed in comments to this article on the Star Advertiser's site was the fact that there have been many events with Hawaiian flights needing to turn around, engines shut down and overall mechanical issues. Then that is all associated with them being "too cheap" to maintain their planes properly. I countered, saying pretty much that over 200 flights a day take off and land for inter island ops without incident, but that the one incident will always bring out the drama mama's who always seem to have a bone to pick with the airline.

Considering that the routes flown by HA interisland is probably one of the most brutal runs for an airplane like the 717-200, and that for years upon years, even with older DC-9 equipment the airline continues to have a high-reliability record of completed flights, the stupid comments made by people to the article were baseless, based on emotions.

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 pm

A.net has no lack of schadenfreude
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude
as demonstrated above. The PIC's initial response was probably to gain altitude for a glide if needed, then to descend when clearance for an EL was granted.

My only gripe with HA is that the Premier Clubs on the NI should approach the level of the HNL lounge.

BravoOne

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:52 pm

"emergency landing granted" is almost as good as the OP/

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:12 am

@BravoOne. A landing clearance is granted by a controller, whether emergency or not. I don't understand your post.

BeachBoy

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 am

Does anyone know if there has been a change in HA's operations--new VP, contractor, etc.?

Over the past year I have experienced a significant decline in HA's operations:
1. 2 missed approaches into OGG.
2. Cancelled last flight of the night.
3. Increased frequency of delayed flights of at least an hour.
4. When arriving on time, having to wait for an employee to marshall the plane in or to operate the jetway.

And it's not just my observation. Other people have shared their experiences with me and their on-time performance statistics are slipping.

rbavfan

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:06 am

KanaHawaii wrote:
Another part of the snarky-ness that was expressed in comments to this article on the Star Advertiser's site was the fact that there have been many events with Hawaiian flights needing to turn around, engines shut down and overall mechanical issues. Then that is all associated with them being "too cheap" to maintain their planes properly. I countered, saying pretty much that over 200 flights a day take off and land for inter island ops without incident, but that the one incident will always bring out the drama mama's who always seem to have a bone to pick with the airline.

Considering that the routes flown by HA interisland is probably one of the most brutal runs for an airplane like the 717-200, and that for years upon years, even with older DC-9 equipment the airline continues to have a high-reliability record of completed flights, the stupid comments made by people to the article were baseless, based on emotions.

They also have never had a death or lost an airframe in 88 years of operations. No other airline over 25 years old in the world matches that record.

rbavfan

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:11 am

BeachBoy wrote:
Does anyone know if there has been a change in HA's operations--new VP, contractor, etc.?

4. When arriving on time, having to wait for an employee to marshall the plane in or to operate the jetway.

And it's not just my observation. Other people have shared their experiences with me and their on-time performance statistics are slipping.

Proof of the last statement about other people sharing their experiences with you. Have not seen anyone on this site complaining about so many issues.

OA940

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 am

Of course the key words from a passenger's testimony: crying, praying, crash.
A350/CSeries = bae

bgm

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:39 am

Varsity1 wrote:
"Is there a smoking crater around HNL somewhere?

If you look southeast towards the Big Island, you'll see a smoking crater.
OK boomer.

dcajet

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:32 pm

rbavfan wrote:
KanaHawaii wrote:

They also have never had a death or lost an airframe in 88 years of operations. No other airline over 25 years old in the world matches that record.

QANTAS has never lost a frame nor had loss of life throughout its 97 years of ops.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

sudenmorsian

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:08 pm

dcajet wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
KanaHawaii wrote:

QANTAS has never lost a frame nor had loss of life throughout its 97 years of ops.

A quick search on Wikipedia shows that this is incorrect. Qantas has had several fatal accidents (most recently in 1951) and hull losses (most recently in 1960).

Though those are rather excellent numbers, since it has been almost 50 years since the last major incident on the airline.
HPN · NYC

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 pm

rbavfan wrote:
BeachBoy wrote:

This has happened on my 3 out of 3 of my most recent (last 3 months) arrivals in HNL, from LIH, from OGG, and from KOA. No gate ready and/or no one at the jetway controls. In fairness, we arrived slightly early each time... thus on-time when the boarding door opened.

77H

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:38 pm

BeachBoy wrote:

I too have experienced point 3 and 4 a few times YTD, usually out of the neighbor island stations. However, I think it is important to note that when you run an operation as tight as HA any IRROP creates a substantial ripple effect through out the schedule. Given this, I think the fact that HA maintains the on-time performance they do is quite extraordinary.

As for items 1 and 2, I think you would be hard pressed to find another airport that consistently has stronger winds year-round than OGG. Landing in OGG is a challenge for all aircraft and the short runways leaves little room for error if the approach isn't near perfect. And every airline, no matter how good their maintenance program has cancellations. Its unfortunate when those cancellations are the last flight of the day stranding passengers but I does happen. I would imagine that HA offered hotel vouchers for stranded passengers?

77H

cathay747

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:51 pm

sudenmorsian wrote:
dcajet wrote:
rbavfan wrote:

A quick search on Wikipedia shows that this is incorrect. Qantas has had several fatal accidents (most recently in 1951) and hull losses (most recently in 1960).

Though those are rather excellent numbers, since it has been almost 50 years since the last major incident on the airline.

Quite correct. The oft-quoted fact about QF is that they've never had a fatal JET accident; hull-loss I'm not so sure...didn't they wind up writing-off that 744 that ran off @ BKK? But nonetheless...QF and HA both...simply outstanding (especially given HA's frequencies)...let's just hope hyping such excellent safety records doesn't jinx it.
Try a Little VC-10derness

77west

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:02 pm

cathay747 wrote:
sudenmorsian wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Quite correct. The oft-quoted fact about QF is that they've never had a fatal JET accident; hull-loss I'm not so sure...didn't they wind up writing-off that 744 that ran off @ BKK? But nonetheless...QF and HA both...simply outstanding (especially given HA's frequencies)...let's just hope hyping such excellent safety records doesn't jinx it.

Nope the fixed the 747. Google it. Cost a bit, but still went on to fly many years.
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:29 am

77H wrote:
... I think you would be hard pressed to find another airport that consistently has stronger winds year-round than OGG. Landing in OGG is a challenge for all aircraft and the short runways leaves little room for error if the approach isn't near perfect.

OGG is the new KaiTek. ;)

As far as worse winds... MUE (Kamuela), but only Part 135 service. Even worse winds, UPP (Upolu). No service ... maybe a brave Osprey now and then.

BAeRJ100

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:23 am

77west wrote:
Nope the fixed the 747. Google it. Cost a bit, but still went on to fly many years.

They even went as far is ferrying an ancient F100 that suffered a broken/bent fuselage (from their subsidiary Network Aviation) from a hard landing to Singapore for extensive repairs rather than writing it off.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

77H

!

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:33 am

WPvsMW wrote:
77H wrote:
... I think you would be hard pressed to find another airport that consistently has stronger winds year-round than OGG. Landing in OGG is a challenge for all aircraft and the short runways leaves little room for error if the approach isn't near perfect.

OGG is the new KaiTek. ;)

As far as worse winds... MUE (Kamuela), but only Part 135 service. Even worse winds, UPP (Upolu). No service ... maybe a brave Osprey now and then.

I don't know if I would go as far as saying OGG is the HKGv1 but it can certainly be challenging on landing for pilots and a wild ride for passengers. Experienced a quite a few over the years. I remember coming in high and fast on a 757 back in '10 and after slamming down on 2 the thrust reversers roared louder than I had or have ever heard. If I remember correctly an FA made a witty remark about the landing after we turned off the active.
I think it is about time OGG lengthens its runway. They have regular 777 movements nowadays which is a lot of aircraft for a runway under 7,000ft.

You can also add JHM to the windy airports list and that has 121 ops.

77H

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:56 am

The fact that HA pilots are "OGG-certified" makes them attract job offers. :o :o

OGG is currently a chaotic construction site. The 02/20 runway is being lengthened, and a SeaTac-style consolidated rental car building is under construction. Nothing major is being done inside the terminal, however.

HAL

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:37 am

WPvsMW wrote:
The fact that HA pilots are "OGG-certified" makes them attract job offers. :o :o

OGG is currently a chaotic construction site. The 02/20 runway is being lengthened, and a SeaTac-style consolidated rental car building is under construction. Nothing major is being done inside the terminal, however.

I've flown for HA for nearly 20 years. I haven't seen anything on my resume that says 'OGG-certified'. ;) As for lengthening the runway there it is part of the airport master plan, but if it runs on the same schedule as all the rest of the master-plans in the Hawaii State airport system, I'll be long retired before they turn a shovel of dirt.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:41 pm

HI DOTrans AIrports Div. will get the OGG runway finished right before they start the A380 gates at HNL. Maybe the HNL departure level awnings will be finished by then. ;) ;)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos