Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iad51fl
Topic Author

This is why everything should stop on the ramp during storms

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:55 am

I am glad there wasn't a ramper working in or around these carts and beltloader at KIAH yesterday.

This is why I do not feel bad waiting inside till the storms pass to work flights.

CE

abul1988

Re: This is why everything should stop on the ramp during storms

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:09 am

Man I had to work outside on the drenching rain, cold bitter wind, thunderstorms etc, at JFK. cold bitter wind was the worst.

aerolimani

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 am

In the meantime, it looks like someone is sitting in the vehicle in the foreground. Yikes!

Definitely, I would never question airports shutting down ground op's during electrical storms. It's highly unsafe to be anywhere other than in an airplane or inside the terminal. It's unfortunate when you land, taxi to the apron, and then sit 20 meters from your gate waiting for the storm to pass… but that's just life some days.

mtnwest1979

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:15 am

A couple of weeks ago at Midland, TX (MAF) we were watching a storm from storage room and a bolt hit the concrete about 150' out in the apron. Was quite the blast. Had same orange coloring at bottom as this pic.

iahcsr

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:07 am

aerolimani wrote:
In the meantime, it looks like someone is sitting in the vehicle in the foreground. Yikes!

Definitely, I would never question airports shutting down ground op's during electrical storms. It's highly unsafe to be anywhere other than in an airplane or inside the terminal. It's unfortunate when you land, taxi to the apron, and then sit 20 meters from your gate waiting for the storm to pass… but that's just life some days.

At most of the UA IAH gates there is now 'Self Park' systems that allow the aircraft to park at the gate and set brakes without ground personnel. Passengers can come off the aircraft at once. Of course no baggage can be off loaded until the storm passes, but better that than trapped on the plane.

CrimsonNL

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:19 am

At AMS the airport mandates all ground handling is stopped during a thunderstorm. Some sort of air-raid siren will sound on the ramp accompanied by flashing lights so everyone drops their work and goes inside.

Martijn

tjwgrr

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:00 pm

I wonder if there was baggage on that cart? I'm envisioning a passenger claiming their scorched luggage and exclaiming, "how the h*ll did they do that?"

RmTrice

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:14 pm

I was working for NW on the ramp at MCO a few years back when a number of FL rampers were hit by a lightning strike just on the other side of our terminal. Thankfully we were code red and all inside at the time. Also thankful nobody was killed. From what I remember the strike hit the ramp very close to the aircraft and the current traveled through the ground and shocked about 6 people standing outside.

Of course there are lots of lightning stories from people who've worked the ramp at MCO. I remember hearing one about a US employee who was killed when lightning hit the plane he was pushing back.

It may suck (especially in MCO where it happens nearly every day) to have the whole operation shut down for a couple of hours and delay an entire evening's worth of flights, but it's worth it to stay safe. No doubt about it.

32andBelow

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:46 pm

iahcsr wrote:
aerolimani wrote:

At most of the UA IAH gates there is now 'Self Park' systems that allow the aircraft to park at the gate and set brakes without ground personnel. Passengers can come off the aircraft at once. Of course no baggage can be off loaded until the storm passes, but better that than trapped on the plane.

Do you have more info about this? This is interesting and I've never heard of it.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:59 pm

I was flying out of IAH Wednesday late afternoon and we also had a ramp stop due to lightening within 5. Sometimes folks forget why, but this is a good illustration!

Scinfaxi

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:00 pm

I'm aware of docking systems. But not aware of any airport that allows ground handling/PAX movement without chocks being inserted by ground staff (as they're inside waiting out the storm) ☺

alasizon

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Scinfaxi wrote:
I'm aware of docking systems. But not aware of any airport that allows ground handling/PAX movement without chocks being inserted by ground staff (as they're inside waiting out the storm) ☺

Some operations allow deplaning as long as the APU remains functional to power the hydraulics and the parking brake is set. Most don't, some do.

Likewise, every carrier I know of operates some sort of lightning plan that as the lightning approaches, the operation shuts down at some point (usually between 3 and 5 miles).

capitalflyer

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:55 pm

gatibosgru

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:47 pm

CrimsonNL wrote:
At AMS the airport mandates all ground handling is stopped during a thunderstorm. Some sort of air-raid siren will sound on the ramp accompanied by flashing lights so everyone drops their work and goes inside.

Martijn

And this should be (if it already isn't) the standard.