anstar
Topic Author

easyJet pick Austria for the new AOC

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:26 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-4695906/Britains-easyJet-picks-Austria-EU-air-operator-certificate-Brexit.html

So they will create a new airline easyJet Europe that will be based out of VIE to enable the continuation of intra EU flights. This will bring the groups airlines to 3

easyJet UK
easyJet Europe
easyJet Switzerland

r2rho

Re: easyJet pick Austria for the new AOC

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:47 am

U2 going for a EU AOC was pretty much a given, the only question was which country they would choose.

I wonder if Austrian labor laws have anything to do with it - it has also been the country of choice for the Eurowings Europe AOC, which seems too much of a coincidence. Are labor laws in Austria looser than in other EU countries, and thus more LCC-friendly / employee-unfriendly?

debonair

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:48 am

Austria seems the new home for LCC-airlines, after Eurowings EUROPE now easyJet.

Any idea, why easyJet didn't followed the "Ireland" (low tax) trend - like SAS, Norwegian etc.? Or the flag of convenience trend for Malta?

runway23

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:54 am

r2rho wrote:
U2 going for a EU AOC was pretty much a given, the only question was which country they would choose.

I wonder if Austrian labor laws have anything to do with it - it has also been the country of choice for the Eurowings Europe AOC, which seems too much of a coincidence. Are labor laws in Austria looser than in other EU countries, and thus more LCC-friendly / employee-unfriendly?

easyJet employ based on local labor laws so doesn't make much of a difference.

easyJet didn't go into much detail regarding why Austria was chosen over say Ireland or Malta.

mooseofspruce

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:15 am

Was expecting them to choose Ireland, but nonetheless there's their EU AOC.
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

Brixerl

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:16 am

r2rho wrote:

Eurowings did it because of labour-tariffs.

But there are other probable causes. For example:
"According to the Austrian VAT Code, the supply, modification, re- pair, maintenance, chartering and hiring of aircraft that are deter- mined to be used by airlines operating for reward mainly on interna- tional routes or outside of Austria is exempt from Austrian VAT on importation."

There are a couple of international companies flying planes with austrian registry. For example TNT Belgium ( especially ASL Airways). Or Lease-corporations for parked airliners (I have seen that for example with Air Lease Corp., I think last year).
Respected members: airmagnac, ap305, enzo011, KarelXWB, keesje, lightsaber, longhauler, masi1157, mfranjic, parapente, Polot, Revelation, rotating14, seabosdca, speedbored, Stitch, tommy1808, Wiederling, zeke

terrificturk

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:30 am

Brixerl wrote:
r2rho wrote:

But there are other probable causes. For example:
"According to the Austrian VAT Code, the supply, modification, re- pair, maintenance, chartering and hiring of aircraft that are deter- mined to be used by airlines operating for reward mainly on interna- tional routes or outside of Austria is exempt from Austrian VAT on importation."

There are a couple of international companies flying planes with austrian registry. For example TNT Belgium ( especially ASL Airways). Or Lease-corporations for parked airliners (I have seen that for example with Air Lease Corp., I think last year).

In most EU countries there is a VAT exemption for commercial operators with an AOC.

pedrinch

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:54 am

Good morning.
Long time follower of this site, my first post.
According to the portuguese press (Portugal was trying to get Easyjet EU registered there) easyjet was asking for an exception so that the planes would be registered in Pt but the supervision authority would remain in the UK. Registered in one country, but regulated in another, according to this article (sorry, only in portuguesee).

http://www.dn.pt/dinheiro/interior/port ... 32905.html

Portuguese authorities refused.
Don't know if Austrian authorities accepted.

My 2 cents
pedrinch

Dardania

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:00 am

mooseofspruce wrote:
Was expecting them to choose Ireland, but nonetheless there's their EU AOC.

No direct easyJet flights to Ireland migth have ruled it out...

aw70

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 am

It might have a lot to do with Austrocontrol (the Austrian aviation authority) being a fairly reasonable and professional outfit.

Brixerl

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:27 am

pedrinch wrote:
Good morning.
Long time follower of this site, my first post.
According to the portuguese press (Portugal was trying to get Easyjet EU registered there) easyjet was asking for an exception so that the planes would be registered in Pt but the supervision authority would remain in the UK. (...) Portuguese authorities refused.
Don't know if Austrian authorities accepted.

My 2 cents
pedrinch

Official statement of Austro Control:
"In the case of an AOC being issued to Easyjet, Austro Control would be responsible for the permanent oversight of the new airline. In concrete terms the authority would perform regular audits and inspections, as is the case with all other national carriers on the Austrian register, such as Austrian, NIKI or Eurowings Europe. Flight inspectors would primarily focus on operational and technical aspects as well as the maintenance of the fleet, the same as with any other Austrian Airline."

More to to that from Austro Control:
https://www.austrocontrol.at/en/company ... ro_control
Respected members: airmagnac, ap305, enzo011, KarelXWB, keesje, lightsaber, longhauler, masi1157, mfranjic, parapente, Polot, Revelation, rotating14, seabosdca, speedbored, Stitch, tommy1808, Wiederling, zeke

Brixerl

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:28 am

And from Easy Jet (via reuters):
EasyJet said it will re-register 110 planes to fly under the new AOC and that it planned to complete this process before Britain leaves the EU.

Edit: Fleet size Easy Jet 252 (132 A319s and 120 A320s). On order 4 (A320s). Source: Planespotters.

Dutchy

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:21 am

So here it goes, another company prepared itself or a hard Brexit.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

skipness1E

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:32 am

Dutchy there is no such thing as a hard brexit, a "soft brexit" is a desperate attempt by remoaners to keep us in the EU by any other name contrary to a democratic vote. There is only Brexit which will have problems and bumps in the road but none of the hysterical end of the world prophecies of our elite have come to pass. Life is not all about economics. nor is politics.

There will be Brexit, easyJet will have a decent contingency and life will go on much as before with the exception that Britain will not be part of the EU leaving the EU to move towards a closer union the UK could never be part of. If it wasn't for the fact we are a major net contributor into the coffers of the EU, they would be thanking us.

andymartin

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:39 am

Well said Skipness, this hard/soft Brexit phrase pi55es me off!

runway23

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:51 am

According to the following links, first OE registered plane could be on the 20th of July. Very quick if that's the case.

Kurt Hofmann‏ @atterseeluftfah

It is expected that more then 100 @easyJet @Airbus A320s will get "OE" registration @A4Europe @IATA @viennaairport

https://twitter.com/atterseeluftfah/sta ... 1853458432

Kurt Hofmann‏ @atterseeluftfah

The first "OE" registered @easyJet @Airbus A320 expected to land @viennaairport Thursday July 20 l @austro_control

https://twitter.com/atterseeluftfah/sta ... 2737637376

ro1960

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:05 pm

What will be the impact in UK economy? Jobs, taxes, etc.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

ro1960

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:07 pm

What will be the impact in UK economy? Jobs, taxes, landing fees, etc.

flyingturtle

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:29 pm

ro1960 wrote:

Jobs: U2 employs 9000 people (I couldn't find a number of U2 employees in UK).

For comparison: LGW has 24'000 employees, of which 25% are cabin crew. Directly employed by the airport are 2800.

If I understand the 2016's U2 financial report right, they paid 68 million £ in taxes.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Richard28

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:29 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Dutchy there is no such thing as a hard brexit, a "soft brexit" is a desperate attempt by remoaners to keep us in the EU by any other name contrary to a democratic vote. There is only Brexit which will have problems and bumps in the road but none of the hysterical end of the world prophecies of our elite have come to pass. Life is not all about economics. nor is politics.

Hard Brexit is widely taken to mean leave EU, no customs union, no single market, and (for our purposes) no open skies
Soft Brexit is widely taken to mean leave EU, but retain customs union, single market and open skies

There are many other agreements and associations such as fisheries, atomic, universities etc.. so it runs much much further than just the above of course.

The referendum, let us remind ourselves was on the EU part and not the many other various other parts. Even Boris Johnson said during the Brexit campaign, and immediately after that he wanted to remain in the single market (but may have since changed his tune!).

There is much to consider and negotiate to ensure as little harm to the UK as possible, which may include retaining some of the agreements currently in force, and retaining open skies is part of the softer brexit approach.

From easyJet's perspective, a new EU operation will of course also enable them to funnel profits outside of the UK if preferential for them to do so, so some flexibility here may help.

I would have thought that political stability is a big part of the decision, as they will want to ensure a stable tax and legislative environment for the new company longer term, so maybe Austria is a good call from that perspective.

Andy33

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Brixerl wrote:
EasyJet said it will re-register 110 planes to fly under the new AOC and that it planned to complete this process before Britain leaves the EU.

Edit: Fleet size Easy Jet 252 (132 A319s and 120 A320s). On order 4 (A320s). Source: Planespotters.

Planespotters missed the outstanding orders for 98 A320neo (they ordered 100, the first two have arrived) and 30 A321neo

ro1960

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:27 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

Jobs: U2 employs 9000 people (I couldn't find a number of U2 employees in UK).

For comparison: LGW has 24'000 employees, of which 25% are cabin crew. Directly employed by the airport are 2800.

If I understand the 2016's U2 financial report right, they paid 68 million £ in taxes.

David

Thanks for digging out those figures. I imagine some of it will benefit the EU or Austria and no longer the UK.

finnishway

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Why not Netherlands just across the English Channel?

Richard28

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:34 pm

ro1960 wrote:
flyingturtle wrote:
Thanks for digging out those figures. I imagine some of it will benefit the EU or Austria and no longer the UK.

:checkmark:

Yes, Austrian AOC / easyJet Europe will be for the benefit of the EU, and detriment to the UK.

Galwayman

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:47 pm

There's no guarantee that this will work out . Air France and Lufthansa will probably argue that its just a scam to allow a British airline to have its cake and eat it after Brexit . And to be fair it does look like a scam ... Brexit means Brexit , out is out , they should lose their intra European flying rights

OSL777FLYER

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 pm

The thing I do not get here is the following: Norwegian, Icelandair and Swiss have AOC's in countries that are not EU, however EEC. They are subject to the rights as EU carriers with regards to freedoms of the air, EU-US open skies etc.

What will happen in the UK market?. Is it just Brexit or are they also not wanting EEC or anything like that which will lead to isolation? and the need to re-establish bilateral agreements with each country.......which will lead to higher prices again.

Somebody please explain

simo94

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Galwayman wrote:
There's no guarantee that this will work out . Air France and Lufthansa will probably argue that its just a scam to allow a British airline to have its cake and eat it after Brexit . And to be fair it does look like a scam ... Brexit means Brexit , out is out , they should lose their intra European flying rights

EasyJet is arguing that 50%+1 of their shares are owned by EU nationals, which is a requirement to operate an airline inside the EU market.
The only sketchy thing is that they mantain the holding company can still be located in the UK.
I wouldn't be surprised if, in the end, EasyJet Europe+Switzerland is spun-off or the company is inverted (i.e. EasyJet Europe will be the head corporation). The weird thing is that Austria has a 25% corporate tax rate, which is double Ireland's 12.5%.

VS11

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Galwayman wrote:

It is much more complicated than that. First question is to figure out what constitutes an EU airline in terms of ownership. Current easyJet PLC investors that are based in the EU i.e. pension plans, mutual funds, asset managers, insurance companies, etc. can become the anchor EU investors of easyJet Europe so that it qualifies as an EU airline. The founder of easyJet is Greek. I know he had some issues with the company but maybe he is still a large investor.

In terms of an economic impact on the UK, it depends on the current labor mix - EU vs UK and work regulations post-Brexit. My guess is that UK-based flight attendants will not be allowed to work at the EU version of easyJet. For pilots, it would be even trickier as there would be additional licensing issues. Will EASA in the future accept UK CAA licenses even if UK pilots are given the right to wok in the EU?

TigerFlyer

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:25 pm

It's a sad state of affairs that a carrier would have to maintain 3 AOCs to fly within Europe. This could be solved with the stroke of a pen granting open and reciprocal rights between and among the respective jurisdictions.

VS11

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:32 pm

TigerFlyer wrote:
It's a sad state of affairs that a carrier would have to maintain 3 AOCs to fly within Europe. This could be solved with the stroke of a pen granting open and reciprocal rights between and among the respective jurisdictions.

But the UK wants to be independent of the EU institutions so granting reciprocal rights has no impact in that respect.

TigerFlyer

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 pm

VS11 wrote:
TigerFlyer wrote:

But the UK wants to be independent of the EU institutions so granting reciprocal rights has no impact in that respect.

Australia and New Zealand are independent countries yet granted open and reciprocal traffic rights to fly within and about each other's territories. A diplomatic fix is certainly possible.

VS11

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:44 pm

TigerFlyer wrote:
VS11 wrote:
TigerFlyer wrote:

Australia and New Zealand are independent countries yet granted open and reciprocal traffic rights to fly within and about each other's territories. A diplomatic fix is certainly possible.

Sure, in Europe this diplomatic fix is currently called European Union.

Richard28

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:49 pm

VS11 wrote:
TigerFlyer wrote:

EU sounds like a grand idea - lets do that! (if only we could!)

TigerFlyer

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:57 pm

VS11 wrote:

Agreed, that would be the ideal. But since that's not going to happen, there's nothing preventing a multilateral aviation agreement. Well, apart from bitterness between the divorcing parties, and the desire to provide business and employment among the respective CAAs. Unfortunately this raises the cost of providing service and ultimately the prices paid by consumers.

anstar
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Galwayman wrote:

The majority ownership will be by EU nationals. Stellios (and his family) (a greek cyrpriot) still owns 33% themselves.

tallis

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:29 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Dutchy there is no such thing as a hard brexit, a "soft brexit" is a desperate attempt by remoaners to keep us in the EU by any other name contrary to a democratic vote...

There will be Brexit, easyJet will have a decent contingency and life will go on much as before

Skipness mate, this is contradictory. If things do 'go on much as before' as I very much hope that they do, then we will have had a soft form of Brexit. That's because, as we all know, the massive expansion of intra-European air services over the last few years has happened under the umbrella of EU aviation policies, for better or worse. For things to carry on as they were before, we will have to reach a compromise with the EU over our membership of the open skies area - which will by definition be a softened form of Brexit.

If, by contrast, we have a hard Brexit, then we revert to bilaterals which have nothing like the capacity to accommodate current traffic levels from the UK to the EU. So things cannot go on as they were before.

There are so many cliches out there about 'elites' and 'project fear' and 'remoaners' but sooner or later Brexiteers will have to stop resorting to these every time they are faced with a difficult reality. I'm not an elite and weirdly I'm also not a remoaner. Im just someone who wants to have an open debate about the future without tired cliches, and someone who accepts that if we have a hard Brexit then things cannot and will not go on as normal.

MartijnNL

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Brixerl wrote:
EasyJet said it will re-register 110 planes to fly under the new AOC

That will keep the registration spotters busy for a while. I suppose the aircraft itself will not move to an Austrian base and just keep flying from airports all over Europe?

anstar
Topic Author

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:28 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Brixerl wrote:
EasyJet said it will re-register 110 planes to fly under the new AOC

That will keep the registration spotters busy for a while. I suppose the aircraft itself will not move to an Austrian base and just keep flying from airports all over Europe?

Exactly... just as the G- reg ones do across europe now.

ExDubai

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:50 pm

Galwayman wrote:

This will work out if Easyjet plays it by the rules. No letterbox/shellcompany, majority of ownership by EU nationals....
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

Galwayman

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Hmmm

I think Air France and Lufthansa will go for IAG first , BA will most likely be asset stripped and then dumped

And then they'll go for easyJet unless most of its shareholders are EU nationals at that stage and the HQ and majority of staff are within the EU

Just opening a base in Vienna isn't going to work

ExDubai

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:26 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Hmmm

I think Air France and Lufthansa will go for IAG first , BA will most likely be asset stripped and then dumped

And then they'll go for easyJet unless most of its shareholders are EU nationals at that stage and the HQ and majority of staff are within the EU

It won't be just a base. They call it the HQ for their european operations. If they stick by the rules, no chance for Lufti to "go for them".
Let's see what happens with the UK HQ. Running 2 OP departments isn't cheap.
Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

Dutchy

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:26 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Hmmm

Nope, the interesting thing is, what will the UK do? Does it mandate that any UK airline has also 50% + 1 ownership? Then IAG and Easyjet, TUI etc. are all in trouble, will they all break-up? With a new AOC, Easyjet hasn't ticked all the boxes yet.

Brixerl

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:46 pm

ExDubai wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
Hmmm

It won't be just a base. They call it the HQ for their european operations. If they stick by the rules, no chance for Lufti to "go for them".
Let's see what happens with the UK HQ. Running 2 OP departments isn't cheap.

And if Lufthansa does try, even when easyjet has the HQ for easyjet europe in vienna, easyjet has a excellent argument: Lufthansa does the same within the EU with Eurowings europe in Vienna. Both have their european arm headquartered in austria.

r2rho

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:52 pm

The thing I do not get here is the following: Norwegian, Icelandair and Swiss have AOC's in countries that are not EU, however EEC. They are subject to the rights as EU carriers with regards to freedoms of the air, EU-US open skies etc.

What will happen in the UK market?

I expect that, mid term, the UK will have some sort of agreement like Norway has. But not from day 1. Things will likely revert to bilaterals at first, then the open skies would be negotiated. In the meantime, it'll be messy, to put it mildly. In that case, U2 will be partially prepared with the new AOC, though that's not all that is needed.

In the other case, which is the UK having open skies with the EU from day 1, U2 will have an AOC in a country with what it seems are LCC-friendly labor laws, and can shift some workforce to the lower cost structure.

In both cases, a win for U2.

Galwayman

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Nope, the interesting thing is, what will the UK do? Does it mandate that any UK airline has also 50% + 1 ownership? Then IAG and Easyjet, TUI etc. are all in trouble, will they all break-up? With a new AOC, Easyjet hasn't ticked all the boxes yet.

Irrelevant what the UK do , they're inconsequential here . Can't see the commission falling for this crap

eurowings

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:44 pm

I wonder if the safety briefings will have to be carried out in German? Not a requirement everywhere but might be the case with Austria.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

mozart

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:45 pm

According to news outlets EasyJet Europe will have 4,000 employees, those jobs will not be in the UK. So there clearly is an impact on the UK.

Brixerl wrote:

And if Lufthansa does try, even when easyjet has the HQ for easyjet europe in vienna, easyjet has a excellent argument: Lufthansa does the same within the EU with Eurowings europe in Vienna. Both have their european arm headquartered in austria.

No, that is not an excellent argument, it is wrong. Lufthansa can have an Austria-based subsidiary because both countries are in the EU. The parent company is in Germany (EU member), the subsidiary in Austria (also EU member) - so no problem whatsoever. EasyJet on the other hand has its parent company in the UK, a country that has just decided to no longer wanting to be a member of the EU, so they should stay out and not get those same rights. It doesn't matter that the parent company is majority-owned by EU shareholders as long as it is based in the UK and owns 100% of the Austrian subsidiary. It would be a different story if there was a separate shareholder structure for EasyJet Europe, with the majority of owners being in the EU. In that case, no problem.

With banks and insurance companies moving (sometimes significant) parts of their operations to the EU, creating companies in the EU to continue to have passporting rights, with EasyJet setting up a European operating company activity is moving away from the UK - things seem to be changing. There was a delegation from the City of London in Brussels the other week lobbying to continue passporting rights for London-based banks and insurers. I am glad to hear that they've been told that they can forget about that, should have thought about that before voting to leave the EU. The same should apply to aviation and other markets. Even if some in the UK want a "soft" Brexit with continued access to the common market, the EU should not allow that. Seems that a number of politicians have understood that and since started to negotiate new bilateral trade agreements. Philippines is a huge win, congratulations.

Arion640

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:05 am

Everyone on here just seems to think cross boarder Business ownership is going to cease after Brexit.

Big firms always find ways round things.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.

r2rho

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:30 am

As others have said, getting an EU AOC is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for U2 to continue EU ops.
The other condition is 50%+1 EU ownership, and that may need to be sorted out. Easyjet Switzerland is 49% owned by U2, 51% by private investors. I could imagine a similar setup for an "Easyjet Europe", based in Austria, 49% owned by Easyjet UK, 51% owned by EU investors.

mozart

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Everyone on here just seems to think cross boarder Business ownership is going to cease after Brexit.

Big firms always find ways round things.

Of course it won't. But it won't be as free anymore between Britain and the rest of Europe as it is now. Today, an investor from the U.K. is not considered a foreigner. In the future, that won't be the case. It will be more like the rules governing ownership between for instance the UAE and Europe (guess why Etihad or Delta can't buy as much of an airline as they would like) or Europe and the US ( A foreign airline cannot own more than 25% of an airline in the United States). EasyJet, which is a British and thus a "foreign" airline, cannot own the controlling majority of EasyJet Europe. There is no way around it as you say.

I am not saying that this is good or bad. I am saying that it's different from today and pretending that it's not and that brexit won't change things is naive and/or ignorant if the facts.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos