Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Idlewildspotter
Topic Author

Lockheed Constellation restorations

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 pm

What is the status of Lufthansa's L-1649 Superstar?

How is Columbine doing?

Isn't there a L-749 being restored somewhere?
Instagram: @JFKSPOTTING

Joolde

Re: Lockheed Constellation restorations

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:23 pm

LH Technik has no news posted on their Super Star website since March 2016.. https://www.lufthansa-technik.com/super-star-news

C133

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Check out: www.conniesurvivors.com .
Lots of Connie info there, including the latest on restorations.
Fine: Tax for doing wrong. Tax: Fine for doing well.

hotelima

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:37 pm

At Auburn-Lewiston airport, the Lockheed L-1649 N7316C restoration fate is now handled by the German American Aviation Heritage Foundation (http://www.gaahf.org). It seems that the restoration work has resumed this year.
As seen on the may 2017 gaahf letter, a chronology of main milestones under process for the year 2017 appears in the gaahf site (eg : installation of overhauled rudders, undercarriage cowlings, main undercarriage, flight deck instrumentation, electric and hydraulic systems...) As I did myself, you can subscribe to gaahf letters for free.
Hope such information will be useful for those who can't wait seeing a Lockheed L-1649 ploughing her way in our XXIst century skies !

C133

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:39 am

Here's an article from November 2016 on the 1649 restoration:

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/1-luftha ... e-2016.htm
Fine: Tax for doing wrong. Tax: Fine for doing well.

RoySFlying

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:25 am

Some information on Lufthansa's aircraft, which by the sound of it will be an alomost completely new aircraft rather than a refurbishing of the old one.

http://superstar.lufthansa.com/en/a-new-super-star.html

Bavd

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:08 am

Has anybody an idea of the cost involved in this restoration? it must be astronomical. I know that the cost of attempting to restore N749NL almost bankrupted the aviodrome museum in the Netherlands and I understand that attempts to keep it flying are abandoned.

VSMUT

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:32 am

Bavd wrote:
Has anybody an idea of the cost involved in this restoration? it must be astronomical. I know that the cost of attempting to restore N749NL almost bankrupted the aviodrome museum in the Netherlands and I understand that attempts to keep it flying are abandoned.

They did go bankrupt ;)

I don't know the cost, but it isn't completely unthinkable that they are using it as a project to help train new engineers or develop new techniques for Lufthansa Teknik, offsetting some of the costs in the process.

LCKip

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 am

VSMUT wrote:
Bavd wrote:

They did go bankrupt ;)

Sadly indeed, the Aviodrome went bankrupt. However, Libéma, who owns several theme parks in the Netherlands, took over, invested a lot of money and reopened the museum. It's an attractive museum with a great collection of aircraft. The Constellation is still here and in pristine condition but I doubt it will fly again. Search for 'aviodrome' in foto search and there are a lot of fotos.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos