airzona11

Re: Primera Air to start BHX, STN and CDG to BOS and EWR

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Exciting news. Love seeing the continued evolution in travel, especially in long haul. This is going to stimulate more demand. The vast majority of travelers going trans-atlantic probably dont do it frequently, so they have no brand allegiance. On the flip side, those that do, it is forcing the legacy airlines to increase their game and the on-board products are improving. Travelers win.

Some good points above, it seems to always come up that LCC/ULCC and certainly long haul ones only attract "unsophisticated" or "poor" travelers, which is just not true. These long haul LCCs are flying to markets with massive demand, skimming some traffic. They aren't throwing 5 widebody daily flights, they are going in most cases less than daily and more and more with 737/A320s. Pretty low risk.

jnev3289

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:25 pm

stlgph wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
If you're under the belief that "2 or 3 annually," will actually order and pay for meals and/or premium meal service, you're pretty clueless.

It's a bit of hyperbole, but what kind of passenger takes a LHLC and chooses to pay $70 for an airline meal?

For one, people that aren't poor. I've flown LOT Polish and have always upgraded my meals for $60. Worth every damn penny. Plus drinks are included for the entire flight. I've flown Icelandair and have easily tossed out $20+ each way, because I wanted to, and I can. I've also been on Icelandair flights between Boston/JFK and KEF where everyone has eaten and drank the entire plane dry.

For two, people that are poor that realize they don't have another option. They bitch and moan about being a budget, just like when they go to concerts and get the cheap seats but then get 3 or 4 beers for $15 each. And do you really think everyone is going to go to the airport and have a dinner beforehand? Have you flown out of Boston? What do you think the people are going to do - nurse a large Dunkin Donuts for 8 hours and hope that side of hash browns keeps them full? Good luck with that one. Sure, they can get the $40 option but when/if they realize they can get drinks included for $70, guess what category wins.

No idea how a meal on a 6 hour flight can be worth $60, much less $70. You can get multiple quality steaks with sides cooked in a real oven for $60, not reheated pasta with mushed broccoli

stlgph

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Again, without a clue..
For $60, I wasn't eating reheated pasta. Trust me.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

OA260

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Interesting product. Id only fly it in their Premium Cabin though. Will be interesting to see what the Prem seats are like.

airbazar

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:38 pm

stlgph wrote:
Again, without a clue..

It doesn't really matter what it was, LOL. If you paid $60 for a meal on a plane it's your prerogative. Some people really love to eat and drink but I can't imagine more then a couple of people doing it on a 5 hour flight.

lowfareair

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:30 pm

stlgph wrote:
Again, without a clue..

When was the price $60? Looks like it is $30 on their website, and includes 2 meals and at least one alcoholic beverage from the Premium Economy drink menu during each meal. Seems like quite a difference in price. I might have missed it, but I can't find when they charged $60 for one meal.

klm617

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:44 pm

The problem is these guys are all going to put each other out of business by all of them attacking the same market. There is so much more of this country that needs affordable international flights it going to be a real shame that these guys are going to liquidate before most people will have access to these fares. There is more to this country than just BOS/NYC/LAX/WAS. The middle of the country is grossly in need of these cheap seats as that part of the country is gouged the most. At the frequency these flights are offered CVG/IND/CMH/CLE/BNA can all support this type of low cot service. The problem is these flights are all gearerd towards a European point of sale when someone needs to step up and cater to the USA originating passengers. Also in Canada YWG is underserved also when it comes to Europe.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

adamh8297

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 pm

They mention other destinations to be announced in a couple of articles... could BRU, GLA, or a possible Spanish destination (AGP) be in the cards? Could BWI get a BHX or STN link?

klm617 wrote:
The middle of the country is grossly in need of these cheap seats as that part of the country is gouged the most. At the frequency these flights are offered CVG/IND/CMH/CLE/BNA can all support this type of low cot service.

You forgot an airport in that list.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

airbazar

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:56 pm

klm617 wrote:
The problem is these guys are all going to put each other out of business by all of them attacking the same market. There is so much more of this country that needs affordable international flights it going to be a real shame that these guys are going to liquidate before most people will have access to these fares. There is more to this country than just BOS/NYC/LAX/WAS. The middle of the country is grossly in need of these cheap seats as that part of the country is gouged the most. At the frequency these flights are offered CVG/IND/CMH/CLE/BNA can all support this type of low cot service. The problem is these flights are all gearerd towards a European point of sale when someone needs to step up and cater to the USA originating passengers. Also in Canada YWG is underserved also when it comes to Europe.

Humm, the money and the population lives on the coasts so yeah, that's where you'll see service. On top of that you can't fly to CVG/IND/CMH/CLE/BNA from London with an A321, let alone CDG and beyond :) So for the time being the middle of the country will just have to connect.

BHXRunway15

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:00 pm

As a BHX local it is certainly one of the more dramatic announcements which was a surprise when I was first told and good to see it was kept under wraps until late last night.

Fares, config, destinations are all spot on in my opinion although £40 extra for a 32 inch seat pitch is cheeky and 30 inches standard on transatlantic is a little disappointing. Again my opinion only but 198 seats is possibly a little more than what BHX needs on daily east coast O & D route but it is only Newark at that frequency although I would have preferred 180 seats with more pitch and slightly higher fares but I am sure they have done their homework and come up with the most efficient config to fare ratio.

It goes without saying that marketing is the key as virtually nobody in the Midlands would have heard of this airline other than a few thousand Jet2 pax that have been on the EMA based 738. At least they have got in first at BHX as there have been rumours of more well known airlines considering BHX transatlantic.

After the ups and downs with EK and the impending loss of United this is just what BHX needs and I really hope it is a success.

Super88

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:19 pm

BOS seem's to be getting new service from Asia and Europe....I'm surprised BOS has enough room for all the new service, with I am sure, more to come....

klm617

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:19 pm

airbazar wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Humm, the money and the population lives on the coasts so yeah, that's where you'll see service. On top of that you can't fly to CVG/IND/CMH/CLE/BNA from London with an A321, let alone CDG and beyond :) So for the time being the middle of the country will just have to connect.

But it's not about money is it because these are low fare airlines offering low fare seats that any part of the country can fill. The 738 and the A321 can reach CVG/CLE/IND/CHM while the 787 can reach BNA and STL very economically.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

VS4ever

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Super88 wrote:
BOS seem's to be getting new service from Asia and Europe....I'm surprised BOS has enough room for all the new service, with I am sure, more to come....

Not aware of any Asia new services coming, unless it's ICN which has been touted for a while, CX upped their HKG flight to daily as it had been doing really well at 4 weekly when it started.
As for Europe, yes it continues to build and frankly looking at the Gate usage of Terminal E I am surprised these were not schedule an hour later because Gate space is maxed at the 8pm timeslot. There's plenty of space later in the evening but prime time is maxed out pretty much, especially when there are delays and stuff.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

styles9002

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:09 pm

Interesting news from PF. I certainly expect that they have done their homework as this is a big investment in terms of flights and city pairs. While BOS/NYC-BHX are currently unserved BOS/NYC-LON/PAR are crowded markets and PF doesn't have much, if any, name recognition on either end.

Does anyone know if PF will try to work with FR at STN? I know FR has said it will start feeding other long haul carriers and was curious to know if that was the case here? Looking at the FR network ex-STN they certainly have a lot of destinations.
It is what it is.

cvgComair

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:31 pm

airbazar wrote:

You most definitely can fly from London to Cincinnati using the A321 neo and LR, which have comparable range than the A310-200 and 757-200 respectively. Delta used the A310-200/757-200 on TATL routes from CVG to AMS/LGW/ORY/BRU. These routes could not carry large cargo loads, but worked for decades. Delta's CVG-CDG could operate with a 757-200 (same range as A321LR), but DL chooses to use a 767-300er because there is enough demand and lots of cargo is shipped on the route (CVG is a DHL hub), nothing to do with range.

I agree with you about the flights are still going to be concentrated on the coasts, that is where the high profits are. However, I could see European carrier eventually expanding into the midwest with the A321LR. Right now most midwest cities have a lot of connecting options through YYZ/JFK/DTW/ORD/PHL/CVG/etc, but most itineraries can get quite expensive. Look at PIT, Condor and WOW have generated a lot of demand while driving down prices significantly.

mbk1999

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:03 pm

I wonder if BHX or STN could get preclearance in the next year, which would eliminate the need to use TERM E. CDG is another story, of course.

klm617

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:10 am

cvgComair wrote:
airbazar wrote:

You most definitely can fly from London to Cincinnati using the A321 neo and LR, which have comparable range than the A310-200 and 757-200 respectively. Delta used the A310-200/757-200 on TATL routes from CVG to AMS/LGW/ORY/BRU. These routes could not carry large cargo loads, but worked for decades. Delta's CVG-CDG could operate with a 757-200 (same range as A321LR), but DL chooses to use a 767-300er because there is enough demand and lots of cargo is shipped on the route (CVG is a DHL hub), nothing to do with range.

I agree with you about the flights are still going to be concentrated on the coasts, that is where the high profits are. However, I could see European carrier eventually expanding into the midwest with the A321LR. Right now most midwest cities have a lot of connecting options through YYZ/JFK/DTW/ORD/PHL/CVG/etc, but most itineraries can get quite expensive. Look at PIT, Condor and WOW have generated a lot of demand while driving down prices significantly.

So if an airline is operating on a BOS-LGW or a CVG-LGW and the plane goes out full the profit is still the same correct. It's not about where the wealth is concentrated because they are not chasing high yielding passengers so as long as the plane is full what city they serve means nothing At the rate these airlines are dumping cheap seats in the market all along the east coast they are going to kill each other before many will ever have the chance to experience of cheap international travel If these airlines would think and diversify themselves a bit a divide up other large metropolitan cities that need this type of international service which they can support everyone would be a lot better off. From another thread the DY strategy isn't producing really big profits at this point and that's because they chose markets that are already saturated with cheap seats no to mention some of these inland airports are a lot cheaper to operate out of..

QueenoftheSkies

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:54 am

I'm digging the name and livery. It's very classy.

aemoreira1981

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:55 am

Given the economics, I see maybe the Birmingham flights as having promise. For London to New York, Norwegian is about to go 13 weekly from the more desirable Gatwick Airport with more reasonable times (the second daily flight will be a sunrise departure from Gatwick with a return time near midnight). From Paris to New York (actually Newark---the second 6x weekly frequency was shifted to EWR from JFK), the flight is actually more competitive than either of Air France's A380 flights from JFK, as arrival into CDG is more than optimal to meet the morning bank of flights by DY. I doubt that STN or CDG will be successful for Primera Air, as unlike Norwegian, Primera will probably rely on O&D at both the USA end and the European end.

adamh8297

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:05 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Given the economics, I see maybe the Birmingham flights as having promise. For London to New York, Norwegian is about to go 13 weekly from the more desirable Gatwick Airport with more reasonable times (the second daily flight will be a sunrise departure from Gatwick with a return time near midnight). From Paris to New York (actually Newark---the second 6x weekly frequency was shifted to EWR from JFK), the flight is actually more competitive than either of Air France's A380 flights from JFK, as arrival into CDG is more than optimal to meet the morning bank of flights by DY. I doubt that STN or CDG will be successful for Primera Air, as unlike Norwegian, Primera will probably rely on O&D at both the USA end and the European end.

Agree with you on BHX flights having promise but DY's Paris ops are O+D only as well. DY only serves USA from CDG and the short haul offered at ORY isn't that great (4 Scandinavian destinations and HEL). DY now serves more USA destinations than European ones at Paris airports.

The CDG flights may be the best out of all three to be a jumping off point to visit Europe. Fly to Paris, stay 3-4 nights then hop over somewhere else via TO, U2, VY, or even AF.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

Andy33

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:47 am

mbk1999 wrote:
I wonder if BHX or STN could get preclearance in the next year, which would eliminate the need to use TERM E. CDG is another story, of course.

In the next year? Not the remotest chance. Eventually, who knows?
Only MAN out of UK airports is any way at all down the track to getting pre-clearance, and that won't happen until about 2019.
There's a lot of political opposition (from both the left and the right), and terminals need significant expansion because pre-clearance needs lots of space - which then ends up only being used for a few hours each day. Since most UK airports are not in government or city ownership, there has to be a commercial case for that expansion. MAN is partly owned by a consortium of cities and districts, and was planning a terminal rebuild anyway.

oldannyboy

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:48 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
For London to New York, Norwegian is about to go 13 weekly from the more desirable Gatwick Airport with more reasonable times (the second daily flight will be a sunrise departure from Gatwick with a return time near midnight). .

True, Gatwick might be bigger and more desirable insofar as London as a whole is concerned, but STN has its own merits and a large catchment area in and around east/north-east London, plus of course Essex and Suffolk (both with lots of wealthy enclaves) and loads of people who loathe the schlep to LGW... Gatwick can be really quite far for this part of the country.
Stansted has a lot of still surprisingly untapped potential as a long-haul LCC hub....

by738

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Primera woyod be great to pick up the axed United GLA-EWR route, 737- 2x3 per week woukd probably be right fit, especially straight into a main NYC airport (and not SWF!).
BOS too although perhaps seasonal summer.
Interesting to see what the two outstanding TA announcements are...

airbazar

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:12 pm

klm617 wrote:
But it's not about money is it because these are low fare airlines offering low fare seats that any part of the country can fill. The 738 and the A321 can reach CVG/CLE/IND/CHM while the 787 can reach BNA and STL very economically.

It's not about making money? Call me crazy but I just assumed airlines were in business to make money.
And no, the A321 cannot reach CVG/CLE/IND/CHM. It can barely reach LAX from JFK and that's nearly 1000nm shorter.
cvgComair wrote:
You most definitely can fly from London to Cincinnati using the A321 neo and LR

Righ, but these are not LR's
klm617 wrote:
So if an airline is operating on a BOS-LGW or a CVG-LGW and the plane goes out full the profit is still the same correct. It's not about where the wealth is concentrated because they are not chasing high yielding passengers so as long as the plane is full what city they serve means nothing

The fares are not cheap, they are competitive. LCC does not mean low yield. Airlines are not stupid. They will charge the highest fare they can get away with the fill the plane. BA and VS have cheaper fares out of BOS than the LCC's, consistently. Don't assume that a $99 one-way introductory fare will exist forever.

af773atmsp

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:15 pm

stlgph wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
If you're under the belief that "2 or 3 annually," will actually order and pay for meals and/or premium meal service, you're pretty clueless.

It's a bit of hyperbole, but what kind of passenger takes a LHLC and chooses to pay $70 for an airline meal?

For one, people that aren't poor. I've flown LOT Polish and have always upgraded my meals for $60. Worth every damn penny. Plus drinks are included for the entire flight. I've flown Icelandair and have easily tossed out $20+ each way, because I wanted to, and I can. I've also been on Icelandair flights between Boston/JFK and KEF where everyone has eaten and drank the entire plane dry.

For two, people that are poor that realize they don't have another option. They bitch and moan about being a budget, just like when they go to concerts and get the cheap seats but then get 3 or 4 beers for $15 each. And do you really think everyone is going to go to the airport and have a dinner beforehand? Have you flown out of Boston? What do you think the people are going to do - nurse a large Dunkin Donuts for 8 hours and hope that side of hash browns keeps them full? Good luck with that one. Sure, they can get the $40 option but when/if they realize they can get drinks included for $70, guess what category wins.

This is definitely not the norm but when I flew MSP-BOS-KEF-OSL all I had was Burger King chicken fries at BOS and a few granola bars I brought with for the trip. And of course a lot of water.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

KarelXWB

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:05 pm

More details on the new routes have been released:

London Stansted to Newark 1x daily starting April 19, 2018
London Stansted to Boston 4x weekly starting May 18, 2018
Birmingham to Newark 1x daily starting May 18, 2018
Birmingham to Boston 4x weekly starting June 22, 2018
Paris Charles de Gaulle to Newark 1x daily starting May 18, 2018
Paris Charles de Gaulle to Boston 3x weekly starting June 21, 2018

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... r-toronto/
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

User001

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:22 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Whoa...A 90-minute turn-time for a transatlantic flight.

Emirates turn the 615 seat A388 in 95 minutes at Manchester, so an A321 in a 2 class density should be a breeze.

Whalejet

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 pm

LCC TATL is rapidly sounding like the next tulip or subprime loan. If/when JetBlue and Ryanair get involved this is going to become a bloodbath.

Cunard

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:15 am

PRIMERA has added BHX and STN to YYZ, there is already a post discussing it.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:43 am

kelvin933 wrote:
There is a strange widebody fetish on Anet that USD 99 tickets seems to able to cure even for customers that have sworn never to fly TATL in a narrowbody aircraft.

^ This :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

MIflyer12 wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:
What about the customer flying TATL in a single aisle? Do you guys think they will be happy of that?

When did CO start their TATL 757s from Newark, 2001?

CO started flying 757s TATL in 1995.... and even then, they where nowhere near the first carrier to do so. BA and LY beat them on flying 752s over the Atlantic by nearly half a decade.

And even then, that's nothing, as narrowbodies had been plying the Atlantic for nearly a half-century before that.

The weirdness that this site has about long flights in narrowbodies is quite illogical, and not reflected in any appreciable numbers by the traveling public.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Arion640

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:16 am

LAX772LR wrote:
kelvin933 wrote:
There is a strange widebody fetish on Anet that USD 99 tickets seems to able to cure even for customers that have sworn never to fly TATL in a narrowbody aircraft.

^ This :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

MIflyer12 wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:
What about the customer flying TATL in a single aisle? Do you guys think they will be happy of that?

When did CO start their TATL 757s from Newark, 2001?

CO started flying 757s TATL in 1995.... and even then, they where nowhere near the first carrier to do so. BA and LY beat them on flying 752s over the Atlantic by nearly half a decade.

And even then, that's nothing, as narrowbodies had been plying the Atlantic for nearly a half-century before that.

The weirdness that this site has about long flights in narrowbodies is quite illogical, and not reflected in any appreciable numbers by the traveling public.

The 707 would of been flying TATL in the 60's, I'm sure from a comfort point of view i'd chose the A321neo anyday.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde

RalXWB

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:41 am

So the next Airline will use 321s for TA and people are still saying they don´t have the range... :white:

DLHAM

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:59 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

When did CO start their TATL 757s from Newark, 2001? There's plenty of single-aisle TATL experience across multiple carriers from multiple U.S. origins.

I think they flew 757s to Europe in the 90s already. Also AFAIK TWA had some 757 ops to Europe in the 90s already (LIS?). Also, as mentioned before, there was the 707, DC-8 etc. There were even TATL flights on 737-300s and MD-80(!). With fuel stop of course.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

Sksf19

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Anybody know what terminal they will be using at EWR/BOS/CDG?
And any ideas on the aircraft deliveries, as I can’t seem to find them in any delivery schedules

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos